[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did modern human society get the way it is?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (104 KB, 570x456) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
104 KB, 570x456
There is religion, government, and education, all which argument, war, and bloodshed has been caused from. I've been thinking lately about all the problems around the world, in the Middle East, West, Asia... And then I remembered that at one point human being where just existing like any other animal. How did we become such a problematic violent race? How can we fix us? Is there no hope?
>>
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 366x263) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 366x263
Holy shit, really guys? We have the whole world on /int/ and no one wants to talk about the one true universal issue? I love human beings okay, and a fucking love other cultures to pieces. I friends from all areas of the world which seems like such a weird concept to normies wtf, we're all capable of coming together, I've seen it, so wtf is holding us back? What's made humanity so shitty when it has the potential to be so fucking great?
>>
>>52090749
Lack of love
>>
File: image.jpg (161 KB, 828x686) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
161 KB, 828x686
>>52094484
Nice flag ye got there
>>
>>52090749
>>52091785
Go hug a tree, hippie faggot.
>>
>>52090749
>>52091785
r/iamverysmart
>>
>>52094551
Wrong image but oh well
>>
>>52090749
dude wtf? we're better off than ever before
you should be asking why are we so great?
>>
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 312x291) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 312x291
>>52094554
Fucking why? I'm not a hippie at all and I don't know why I'm called that everything I bring this up. We're an intellectual and superior species why can't we fucking act like it? It's not about peace hippie John Lennon whatever, it's about intellectual superiority.
>>
>>52094661
We're better than we where back in crusading days when people would mass murder for religion but... Oh wait we still do that. We're not that great, everyone wants to kill eachother. Obviously different people have different views and opinions, but why are we still acting like savages killing everyone over it?
>>
File: Tiss mlady.jpg (42 KB, 479x720) Image search: [Google]
Tiss mlady.jpg
42 KB, 479x720
>>52094792
Why don't you go and shove that "intellectual superiority" right up your ass, you euphoric fuckwit.
>>
People form groups for protection. Sometimes there's only enough stuff for one group so two groups fight over the stuff instead of merging into a single group. The traits of the group are important to the group because they're a source of unity and the group is hostile to changing them. This makes group-merging even more difficult since neither of the groups wants to abandon their cultural traits and multiculturalism really doesn't work.

Also, Darwin stopped being a Christian because of all the brutality he saw in nature. Prehistoric humans didn't just skip around meadows all day.
>>
>>52095433
dubs confirm absolute, perfect truth. this guy gets it.
>>
>>52095433
>Prehistoric humans didn't just skip around meadows all day.
No, but they also didn't genocide others in nuclear warfar. Not wanting to change cultures isn't the problem Tevye, it's the amount of violence poeple cause to gain authority over every other culture by spreading theirs. Islam is a perfect example of this.
>>
>>52096049
>prehistoric humans didn't use nuclear weapons
Gee, I wonder why.

>amount of violence poeple cause to gain authority over every other culture by spreading theirs. Islam is a perfect example of this.
You don't cause violence, you use it. And what you're saying points to my first statement that groups often want more (money, land, power) and are willing to take take it from others, which always happened with humans and among many animals as well. The high degree of violence you have today is due to the fact that we're more numerous, more organised and technologically more advanced than our uncivilised ancestors who fought in rock-throwing skirmishes.
>>
>>52096762
I don't understand why we can't be advanced enough to have technology and oranization AND be civilized human beings though. Take for instance, I can't go to Maylasia with ought being over exposed to xenophobia. I understand why we are like this, but it doesn't have to be this way, and I want to know how we can fix it.
>>
>>52090749
this thread belongs on /his/ but i reply to you:
all animals are violent like us, but there's a point before or after the Ice Age that our ancesters created militias. it had to do more or less with hunting parties probably, but eventually was strictly for city-walls defense and others'-land-conquering
>>
>>52097069
>I want to know how we can fix it.
Well, the two of us aren't very likely to fix anything. You'd need to figure out a way to have people follow the whole "love one another" message.
>>
>>52097069
xenophobia will never be "erradicated" from human mind
just give us another enemy, ayyliens
i mean even in super-perfect Star Trek civilization they engaged in wars with other-planet species (but not all of them)
>>
>>52097342
It's not about "love one another" it's about being civilized intellectuals who can coexist by simply thinking but you're right, not a lot of people think that way I guess
>>52097476
Xenophobia will always exist, you're right, but we don't have to slaughter each other like mindless animals over it
>>52097283
Yeah but animals also coexist when there isn't a need for food and water. Lions and antelope can walk right by eachother just fine if there isn't a hunting party. Also, species tend to be fine around their own species. What turned humans against themselves?
>>
>>52097925
>two different animals can coexist
>why we hyuemons
if you wanna talk about animal wars, consider them among the same species
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPznMbNcfO8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x9zbO1-0Uc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5YaihAtnC4
they usually turn their fight to deadly but not always. and we too: a riot "only" kills one or two people, not a complete massacre. massacres are deliberate and not as common as you think
the biggest differences between us and them are:
- specialization: some people learning specifically to wage war and not just brawl around, also how technology of weapons was refined to the point of missiles and, i dunno, lazor emp guns someday
- scale: humans do shit on unimagined levels for other animals in this planet
>>
>>52090749
>How did we become such a problematic violent race

but we are less violent now
>>
OP, conflict and competition is part of life. Demanding eternal peace and universal colaboration is necessary to sustain parts of our system but its not really desirable because we dont work like that.
>>
Most of the problems I think are due to people
refusing to change or re-evaluate some core
aspect of their world view.
>>
>How did we become such a problematic violent race?
The animal kingdom is full of violence. It really helps to step outside of the city to see how reality works.
>>
File: images.jpg (49 KB, 225x319) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
49 KB, 225x319
>>52098758
i've considered what if we were to change war for something less violent but competitive like sport

stuff like cheating or disregarding safety rules would be common, everyone would be desperate to win. sport would turn to war, like animoo related
>>
>>52097925
>civilized intellectuals who can coexist by simply thinking
Omg please stahp
>>
>>52098966
A FUCKING LEAF
>>
>>52098884
>>52098592
We aren't animals though, we have science and scholars and built societies proving we don't have to act like animals, yet we still do. All the terrorist attacks lately make us humans look like savages but we're not, or are we? I really can't tell anymore
>>
>>52098956
Our sports already fulfill the desire of tribal competition. That feel of "muh group is better than yours".

But wars will still happen as long as we have resource scarcity: fighting for oil is the easiest example. Only a post-scarcity society can afford to live in peace.

So in order to achieve post-scarcity, we need technologic, scientific and economic progress, which is happening.

In historic terms, we are better and less violent than in any other era of our existence. We are the best we have been as a species. Poverty is at historical minimum, wars are actually rare and specific, mortality and diseases are decreasing, rights are becoming more and more universal, education and sustainability are being pushed by societies, we have unions everywhere.

If OP cant see that, it just shows that he doesnt know enough about our own History nor how violent nature actually is.
>>
>>52094551
Destiny
>>
File: 59531910.jpg (148 KB, 500x330) Image search: [Google]
59531910.jpg
148 KB, 500x330
>>52099334
>We aren't animals though... or are we?
we are
we just made the game very complex, but the game is still essentially the same
i have this pic that resumes the game rules very clearly, in case you didn't know them

>>52099553
>So in order to achieve post-scarcity, we need technologic, scientific and economic progress, which is happening
oh gosh, not this 50s-80s clarkean crap again...
there's no such thing as "science will eliminate scarcity". it will just add more complexity to the game
>>
>>52100399
Off topic but your pic reminded me of it.
Will women always be on the bottom? I don't even want to be a woman any more because there's only two groups I can be paired with in society and that's either Islamic level property or radical extremist feminist. Like there's no in between, I can't just be a dude with a vagina. I just want to be a bro-teir human being, but there's no place in society for women like that.
>>
>>52100399
>clarkean crap
>there's no such thing as "science will eliminate scarcity". it will just add more complexity to the game

You dont seem to know much about development. I'm working on my economic development thesis right now and I can assure you that science and technology are the key to progress. Otherwise we would be living the Malthusian catastrophe right now because of our enormous modern population. Id love to discuss this with more detail but I must go to sleep now.

In any case, OP can stay calm. We are not as bas as you believe.
>>
>>52101224
I think I understand this guy the best. Like we're keep on getting more intelligent and more peaceful? I think
>>
>>52101460
Yes, we are more peacefull.
Here, have a handy video. Hopefully it will make some things clear in a simple way
https://youtu.be/NbuUW9i-mHs
>>
>>52101149
>Will women always be on the bottom?
bottom of what?
what makes you think women don't hunt men too? you just have a different way of playing
do you think islamic women aren't bitchy and deceitful in the comfort of their harem home? they only wear the hijab when they go outside. just ask MENA for proofs if you don't believe me

>>52101224
>>52101624
bleh
>In any case, OP can stay calm. We are not as bas as you believe.
agree
>>
>>52090749
We literally have never been better you faggot just look around
>>
>>52101685
What I meant was will women always be on the bottom as in will they ever be like men? Hard for me to explain but not as having rights or fighting against men, I don't think women should blame men for all their problems, but as in being exactly like men in society without all their sjw bullshit. I'm sorry I'm not making sense.
>>
>>52101624
>>52101685
Okay, and >>52101149 isn't me
>>
>>52101976
Can I ask how old are you?
>>
>>52099138
Fuck off
>>
>>52102086
>>
>>52102135
Ok then
>>
>>52101976
ah that
i really really hope woman never becomes like man, i dislike manly boobs and penises. come at me fags (no homo)
there are visible differences, in both physiology and psychology, between humans. you could argue that some genderbenders are either physically or mentally same as the gender they want to turn to, but they're more the exception than the rule. it's ok to be different, it's specialization. different strengths for different needs
so instead of striving over being completely same, we should strife (and already did) about having same opportunities. although equalization as you want is happening already on first world societies methinks, while it's a late transition in traditional backwater countries that are forced to go democratic in order to keep up with world trade. Saudi Arabia just had women's vote last week or so, for example
but i refuse to either be optimistic or pessimistic. old problems are being solved while new problems are coming up. that's how i see it
>>
>>52094792
Because youre wrong. You are less likely to die a violent death than ever before in human history.
>>
>>52102310
I understand and I'm not against gender roles at all, it's just hard to find a middle ground of just normalness in being female. Think a place that would fit this description is old Native American societies, gender roles exist but you don't necessarily have to follow them and they don't necessarily matter in where you fit in society, that's based on your personality and work you've done.
>>
>>52094792
The problem actually is this kind of thinking.
You're simply completely wrong.
There is no harmony in nature. In fact nature actively opposes harmony.

>>52095433
>Also, Darwin stopped being a Christian because of all the brutality he saw in nature. Prehistoric humans didn't just skip around meadows all day.
He was a smart man.
>>
>>52090749
Jesus christ. The 20th century was the most violent century of human history and has led to the peaceful and prosperous society we live in today. Has there ever been another time when so many people had access to their basic needs? Is there conventional war between great powers? We live in the information Era and your brain is being overloaded by events that are happening over the entire globe.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.