[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does English sound like to non native speakers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
Thread has probably but made before but what do non native speakers think of English? I'm a native speaker and I'm just curious.
>>
>>52016781
It sounds a bit like Dutch

t. Mohammedan invader
>>
Americans sound the most "normal" because of overexposure to their media. The english sound soothing. Australians sound like they're taking the piss all the time. Canadians and NZlanders sound like a bunch of braindead retards, not even joking. Both of them sound like retarded homosexual versions of the bigger and better countries that they're next to.
>>
>>52016859
Mate Canada is bigger than the US. And I wouldn't say Australia is better than NZ.. I guess our accent is just due to our history as a colonial melting pot. It's just a bastardized mongrel form of English made from components from all over the UK.
>>
>>52017004
>And I wouldn't say Australia is better than NZ

Literally anyone else to ever exist would.
>>
>>52016859
>Canadians
How can you even distinguish their accent from Americans?
>>
>>52017173
no
>>
>>52017208
Oh.
>>
File: 1449384907421.jpg (7 KB, 233x172) Image search: [Google]
1449384907421.jpg
7 KB, 233x172
>>52017173
Hey convict don't you have abbos to kill?
>>
>>52017185
ask them to say house
>>
>>52016781
Why is The Republic of Ireland not included in that map?
>>
>>52017185
I can tell because they sound like gayer and more inoffensive americans. I don't know.

>Mate Canada is bigger than the US

Which makes it even more pathetic because of how irrelevant it is.
>>
>>52016859
I live on the west coast. The "Canadian" accent here is virtually indistinguishable from a west coast American accent.
>>
>>52017004
>Mate Canada is bigger than the US.
too bad 98% of it is frozen wasteland
>>
American English sounds like someone chewing gum while speaking.

British English sounds harsh and cold but comfy.

Here is a video that shows what American English sounds like to foreigners
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VsmF9m_Nt8
>>
>>52017328
To be fair most of it is pretty much uninhabitable.
>>
>>52017343
What about all those "oo" sounds.
>>
>>52017302
Didn't make it, stole it from /pol/

As a kiwifag, I think an American accent on a grill is the sexiest shit out there. They make our women sound like fucking chalkboards.
>>
>>52017185
I've lived in both, the standard accent is basically indistinguishable. On some days, if you really squint your ears, the word house might be pronounced differently. Canada and USA speak the same dialect, end of discussion. There are countries where the village on the other side of the mountain speaks another language.
>>
>>52017444
What, like in house, mouse, about, etc? I don't talk like that, my friends and family don't talk like that. The only place in Canada where you'll really find the stereotypical Canadian accent is in the Maritimes and Newfoundland.

I have noticed though that people here (me included) do say sorry like "sore-y, which I think sounds better than "sahrry".
>>
British english sounds some like speaker got some shit in his mouth. Pretty difficult to understand.

American english sounds good except maybe southern one,
Canadian is so similar to american.

Australia and New Zealand english is something I don't know how really sounds, The only australian I remember is Howtobasic but he don't speak too much.
>>
Like this. It starts at 1:46
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU4w12oDjn8
>>
>>52016781
Like raped mongol babbling.

Even French sounds better.
>>
>>52016781
A lot of hushing sounds that sound like "gao peavjsh moonin" and a retarded sound for the letter r.

In all honesty, english like most Germanic/Celtic/and all european languages sound fucking horrible and disgusting to the ears.
European languages are really low on the list of languages that ive >>52016829
heard on television, films, etc.
>>
>>52016781
It's like someone is chewing bubblegum and speaking at the same moent. All sounds are like "wewwowwwwwowwwoweewwwe"
>>
>>52016859
Leaves on suicide watch
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.