[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some supernatural beings and/or legends from your country/culture/region?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 30
File: Ivan_Bilibin_036.jpg (64 KB, 600x411) Image search: [Google]
Ivan_Bilibin_036.jpg
64 KB, 600x411
What are some supernatural beings and/or legends from your country/culture/region?

In Slavic folklore we have Baba Yaga.
From wikipedia:

>In Slavic folklore, Baba Yaga is a supernatural being (or one of a trio of sisters of the same name) who appears as a deformed and/or ferocious-looking woman. Baba Yaga flies around in a mortar, wields a pestle, and dwells deep in the forest in a hut usually described as standing on chicken legs (or sometimes a single chicken leg). Baba Yaga may help or hinder those that encounter or seek her out. She sometimes plays a maternal role, and also has associations with forest wildlife. According to Vladimir Propp's folktale morphology, Baba Yaga commonly appears as either a donor or villain, or may be altogether ambiguous.
>>
File: 142092911672.jpg (128 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
142092911672.jpg
128 KB, 600x400
We have the mighty Chupacabras
>>
>>51874303
skin walkers i guess
also jersey devil and bigfoot

also >>51874303
>>
Baba Yaga?
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Compa%C3%B1a

>Many different versions of the "Santa Compaña" can be found; however, the common image is a procession of the dead or souls in torment that wanders the path of a parish at midnight involved in white hooded cloaks.

>The procession is led by a living person carrying a cross or a cauldron of holy water (sometimes he carries both), followed by several souls with lit candles, although they are not always seen; the smell of wax and the breeze which appears when they pass warn of their presence. This living leader in the dead procession is forced to get out every night to walk by towns, villages and forests, not remembering it the next day.
>>
>>51874245
Dwarves
Trolls
Nightmares
Elves
Dragons
Skogsrået (forest guardian)
Näcken (naked man with violin)
Giants
Witches
Tomtar (pic related)

That's all I can think of for now
>>
It all comes from Abo folklore, but yeah, we have them. I don't know much about them at all, though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yowie
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunyip
>>
File: La-Llorona-Fuente.jpg (66 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
La-Llorona-Fuente.jpg
66 KB, 1024x768
>>51874303
We also have La Llorona
>>
>>51874396
Man that was a fun movie.
>>
>>51874303
>>51874535
Don't you have Lechuza, as well?
>>
>>51874245
Sounds like the inspiration behind those forest Ladies in the Witcher 3
>>
>>51874561
Nope
>>
>>51874535
>Although several variations exist, the most basic story tells of a beautiful woman by the name of Maria who drowns her children in the Mexican river as a means of revenge because her husband left her for a younger woman. She soon realizes that her children are dead, so she drowns herself in a river in Mexico City.

Kind of a short sighted plan tbqh

>>51874578
Do you have any unique folklore in Portugal as well?
>>
>>51874578
I thought the same thing
>>
Region: Alberta

Legend: The liberal French muslim faggots of the east hates are freedoms and prosperity under Harper, and they will come back to get revenge on us through carbon taxes, taking away the guns, and mass immigration of Newfies and Flips to dilute our proud and noble heritage.

Turns out it's entirely true.
>>
>>51874678
>>Although several variations exist, the most basic story tells of a beautiful woman by the name of Maria who drowns her children in the Mexican river as a means of revenge because her husband left her for a younger woman. She soon realizes that her children are dead, so she drowns herself in a river in Mexico City.
Sounds suspiciously like they stole the story from pieces of ancient Hellenic legends.
>>
>>51874686
Come on bro; you know what year it is.
>>
>>51874482
I've always been interested in Scandinavian folklore
>>
>>51874245
parents used to scare me with baba jaga when I was little and did something bad
>>
>>51874734
Yeah, I can't imagine what sort of scum could do such a thing.

>>51874817
Same, for a time I was scared to go into the woods because I thought I'd get taken away by her.
>>
File: holy shit.png (104 KB, 600x597) Image search: [Google]
holy shit.png
104 KB, 600x597
>>51874817
>parents used to scare me with baba jaga when I was little and did something bad
Jeeze no wonder you guys always so fucked up.
>>
>>51874245
Man i remember that movie. That house walking on a chicken lag was hilarious desu.
Am i honorary slav for knowing it?
>>
File: Parkeljni.jpg (68 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
Parkeljni.jpg
68 KB, 600x400
>>51874245
Related to this time of the year (5th of December): parkeljni (singular: parkelj).
They walk aroun with Miklavž (St Nicholas) and deal with children who weren't good throughout the year.
>>
>>51874686
Your own Provincial Government is a bigger culprit than Ottowa or Frenchies
>>
>>51875066
I forgot to mention that they get drunk and harass anyone they see outside.
>>
File: troll-sincere-troll-l.png (396 KB, 1500x1368) Image search: [Google]
troll-sincere-troll-l.png
396 KB, 1500x1368
>>51874245
>In many cases, this Lithuanian creature is described as having the appearance of a rooster while indoors and the appearance of a dragon outdoors. An Aitvaras will lodge itself in a house and will most often refuse to leave. It brings both good and bad luck to the inhabitants of the house. Aitvaras provide their adopted home with stolen gold and grain, often getting the household into trouble. According to many, an Aitvaras can be purchased from the devil - the price being that person's soul.
>>
At sea, a taniwha often appears as a whale or as quite a large shark; compare the Māori name for the Great white shark: mangō-taniwha. In inland waters, they may still be of whale-like dimensions, but look more like a gecko or a tuatara, having a row of spines along the back. Other taniwha appear as a floating log, which behaves in a disconcerting way (Orbell 1998:149-150, Reed 1963:297). Some can tunnel through the earth, uprooting trees in the process
>>
>>51874245
Baba Yaga is variously called jaga baba, ježibaba, pehtra baba or kvatrnica in Slovene fairy tales (with pehtra baba/kvatrnica being our often demonised version of the Bavarian goddess of the hunt, Perchta). The description is the same as in other Slavic mythologies in that she regulates the time for work in the community and punishes the stray and vagrant with death.
>>
>>51875066
Also, parkelj is known as the Krampus in the upper German lands. A high profile Hollywood horror flick has just been released on the subject, and it evokes a custom every Slovenian child is familiar with. Can't wait.
>>
>>51874482
>Näcken
I was afraid of going near to lakes or rivers as a kid because my father always told me to look out for Näkki
>>
>>51876131
Sem že gledal, ja.
>>
For a while, I thought Johnny Appleseed was just an American folklore character, I mean, there's even a fucking Disney cartoon about him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=484AJlOnOnc

But apparently he was a real guy named John Chapman.

And he used his apples to make cheap alcohol.

And very possibly considered adopting an 10-year-old girl to raise to be his wife.
>>
Laumės - badically a ghostly woman that lived near sources of water and ate babies and shit.

Aitvaras - sometimes manifested ad a black rooster, sometimes as a flying snake. Brought luck to people in whose home he lived.

The whole pantheon of gods that was fairly similar to norse ones.

I used to love reading about this shit when I wasca kid and still have the books at home, but typing tjis out on a phone is a pain.
>>
File: 1374837425666.jpg (54 KB, 499x408) Image search: [Google]
1374837425666.jpg
54 KB, 499x408
>>51876575
>Lithuanians literally worshipping black cock
>>
>>51874245
We call her baba roga
>>
>>51876639
Doubt there was worship. That guy could be a real dick.
>>
File: Syrena.jpg (154 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Syrena.jpg
154 KB, 800x600
This gold digging sea slut right here, but I dont want to get depressed talking about it.

All I can say is she turned many men gay
>>
>>51876668
this
>>
some creature called "Dev" that wonders around the woods and challenges "Worthy Warriors of the neighborhood" to a hand to hand death match lel
>>
>>51877077
Open a thread for Tajikistan. We need to hear some insider perspective (that is, if you're not a proxy)
>>
>>51877077
>rare
>dubs
Checked.
Is this some sort of sign?
>>
File: 3462346234.jpg (380 KB, 1280x848) Image search: [Google]
3462346234.jpg
380 KB, 1280x848
Well I grew up in la Patagonia and there's a legend about a creature like Nessie dwelling deep in the waters of the Nahuel Huapi lake.

Also, this is more part of the folklore or something but there are supposed to be gnomes and small dwarves living in the Patagonian forests.
>>
>>51877077
make a tajik thread or lay off the proxy
>>
File: ps-10864-nzp.jpg (85 KB, 453x601) Image search: [Google]
ps-10864-nzp.jpg
85 KB, 453x601
>>51874245
The Maoris have a giant sea lizard called a Taniwha. It has a penchant for eating people it doesn't like

}https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taniwha
>>
tailypo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tailypo
>>
>>51874245
Kek, your mythical boogieman is literally a caricature of a jew.
>>
I've thought Baba Yaga was only in eastern-slav tales.
>>
>>51877298
American range ban when?
>>
>>51877328
witches are known all throughout europe and even in afrika.
>>
>>51877506
Jaga baba and vešča/čarovnica is not the same, m8.
>>
>>51876771
... in the baltic sea?

your lore must stink
>>
The Abbos have the bong water rainbow serpent. If you manage to catch him, he'll grant you infinite petrol to huff.
>>
>>51877563
they're all witches, fagmeister
>>
>tfw you know about her because of dominions 4
>>
>>51877590
Jaga baba is a supernatural being, like a fairy, while witches are people who commune with the supernatural, normie breath.
>>
>>51874396
>>51874548
>Hi John, we need badass nickname for killer in russian mafia.
>Okay Sam i'll check wiki article about russian folklore.

>Baba Yaga
>Oh Sam sorry, I forgot check that Baba Yaga actually female, I'm was too busy playing Call Of Duty yesterday.
>>
File: image_normal.jpg (37 KB, 525x427) Image search: [Google]
image_normal.jpg
37 KB, 525x427
>Lidérc
There’s an expression in Hungarian: lidércnyomás. There’s no appropriate equivalent of it in the English language, the closest you can get to its meaning is “nightmare”. Lidércnyomás literally means “the pressing of the Incubus”. The lidérc or incubus originates from the Northern-Hungarian territory, and is in fact an umbrella term for various supernatural creatures. One thing that’s common in them: their sexual nature.

The lidérc hatches from the first egg of a black hen, but only if the owner warms it beforehand in their own armpit or on top of some warm and steaming manure. The lidérc that hatches can now choose between two fates. Either it will be our own little helper, who brings us good luck and fortune, and at night has wild lidérc-sex with us (if the owner’s a man, the lidérc will transform into a beautiful woman from the owner’s past, and if she’s a woman, the lidérc will take on the form of a past male lover), or it will decide that the best thing it could do is to slowly drain us of our life force. It will appear every night to rape or evoke sleep paralysis in us, sit atop our helpless bodies, and rob us of our souls, and, eventually, our lives. The only way to stop the lidérc is to make it do impossible chores, like bringing water from the well in a leaky bucket.

The lidérc can also be a tiny little man, who helps us the best he can (think of the Hungarian version of that green little Irish gentleman), or a harmless flying fire.
>>
>>51877661
yup, and witches of the latter kind (like baba yaga) are prevalent in every culture

skogsvidja in swedish
>>
File: bunyip.jpg (73 KB, 494x268) Image search: [Google]
bunyip.jpg
73 KB, 494x268
This thing is called a bunyip. No one actually knows what it looks like because there's so many different accounts describing it.
>>
File: yowie.jpg (121 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
yowie.jpg
121 KB, 800x600
>>51877972
my yowie could kick the shit out of your bunyip
>>
>>51877972
looks like a random mash of bullshit
>>
You could count Krampus and other Perchten.
Then there are legends of Wolpertinger, Basilisk and Lindwurm.
>>
>>51874678
Not that I know of, but it's not really something I've ever looked into
>>
Bolivian surfer
>>
>>51874245
Mother in law?
>>
Region: Belgium (Flanders)

Legend: The Devil and the Great Turk

It used to be important to teach children to pray and for their parents to bless them before they went to sleep, making the sign of the cross on their foreheads with the words "May God protect you from the Devil and the Great Turk".

Now that this is not a Christian country anymore and the people have abandoned this practice, the Devil and the Great Turk both have settled in our lands and corrupted it to the point of no return. Alas, it was true. Christian people of the world, take heed of our sinful mistake.
>>
We have Kelpies, water spirits who appear as horses or humans, selkies who can transform from seals to humans and vice versa by wearing a seal skin.

Plus faeries, witches, a lot of similarities with Irish folklore.
>>
>>51877298
>boogeyman
bugi is Gaulic/Celtic for demon or devil

>>51876575
>Laumės - badically a ghostly woman that lived near sources of water and ate babies and shit.

We have a local female spirits called "minnen" (sing. minne) who seduce young men only to drown them. It is from the area around Bruges and goes back to Belgae days when the Menapii tribe lived here.
>>
>>51883427
Huh, the Kelpies were known to drag anyone who tried to ride them into the water as well.
>>
File: 7web.jpg (332 KB, 1024x672) Image search: [Google]
7web.jpg
332 KB, 1024x672
In Norway, we have the deildegast:

“A deildegast, it was said, does not receive peace in the afterlife as a result of enlarging his own territory while alive by moving the border-stone dividing his own and his neighbours territory. After dying, the deildegast was forced to haunt the area near the border-stone until he was able to lift it back to its correct place. This feat proved impossible, however, as the stone would always slip, causing the deildegast to emit a sorrowful scream before trying again to no avail.“
>>
>>51883427
And the water horse, who appears as a handsome man.
>>
>>51883868
Sweet!
>>
>>51874245
Waldmeister

A legendary druid
>>
>>51883797
>>51883905

must be a shared Celtic heritage thing?

Pretty much all the names of rivers and waterways go back to those days in this area, including some tales surrounding them
>>
File: 1443295791428.png (36 KB, 801x577) Image search: [Google]
1443295791428.png
36 KB, 801x577
>>51877799
Finnish word Painajainen means nightmare, but direct translation means "Being pressed". Painajainen is also a demon, who climbs over a sleeping person causing nightmares and sleep paralysis.
>>
File: Kittelsen_-_Nøkken.jpg (344 KB, 1250x834) Image search: [Google]
Kittelsen_-_Nøkken.jpg
344 KB, 1250x834
>>51883905
Bäckahästen in Swedish. Nokken in Norwegian, one of his forms is of a horse that tricks people into riding it and then jumps into the water.
>>
>>51883868
Cool, didn't even know
>>
File: Die_drei_Bogatyr.jpg (33 KB, 400x265) Image search: [Google]
Die_drei_Bogatyr.jpg
33 KB, 400x265
>>51874245
Wow. All the slavs call this chick Baba Yaga?
I cant remember supernaturals except "Koshey the Immortal", "Konek-Gorbunok" and "Nightingale the Robber". Guys from pic is not s\n afaik. But i remember "Oadz the old woman" from tales of people of the North. Chukchas and so on. She is cool, powa witch. Much more stronger than Yaga.
>>
>>51884363
It was popular in the forested South, where farmers owned large tracts and kept moving each other's border-stones, little by little. It was a warning to end the practice. The shriek is probably inspired by hearing forest birds that shriek in the night. Combined with sensory deprivation from living in the deep woods, it would have been good propaganda back in the day.
>>
>>51884482
Tbh i thought it was only a russian thing
>>
Well there's the Wendigo

>Although descriptions varied somewhat, common to all these cultures was the conception of Wendigos as malevolent, cannibalistic, supernatural beings (manitous) of great spiritual power. They were strongly associated with the winter, the north, and coldness, as well as with famine and starvation. At the same time, Wendigos were embodiments of gluttony, greed, and excess: never satisfied after killing and consuming one person, they were constantly searching for new victims. In some traditions, humans who became overpowered by greed could turn into Wendigos; the Wendigo myth thus served as a method of encouraging cooperation and moderation.
>Among the Ojibwe, Eastern Cree, Westmain Swampy Cree, Naskapi, and Innu, Wendigos were said to be giants, many times larger than human beings (a characteristic absent from the Wendigo myth in the other Algonquian cultures). Whenever a Wendigo ate another person, it would grow in proportion to the meal it had just eaten, so that it could never be full. Therefore, Wendigos were portrayed as simultaneously gluttonous and emaciated from starvation.
>>
>>51884121
Maybe.

Or just a general story to keep kids away from water.
>>
>>51884332
Probably came in during the Norse rule of the Isles.
>>
File: 800px-Vasilisa.jpg (217 KB, 800x1010) Image search: [Google]
800px-Vasilisa.jpg
217 KB, 800x1010
>>51884482
Baba Yaga and her chicken-feet house are pretty much the most mainstream aspects of Slavic folklore that people know about in the West, iirc.
>>
>>51884332
>>51884844
Or maybe the Norse got it from the Gaels. You never know.
>>
>>51884879
>>51884844

Yeah, we most likely got it from other places. There's aspects of Hellenic gods in our own Nordic mythology, so most likely it's been a one-way influence. We always were a backwater.
>>
File: Aleshenka.jpg (75 KB, 451x342) Image search: [Google]
Aleshenka.jpg
75 KB, 451x342
What about gnomes? They are fucking real, unlike Unicorns, Baba Yaga, Yeti and so on.
>>
File: skogsrå.jpg (437 KB, 1600x1071) Image search: [Google]
skogsrå.jpg
437 KB, 1600x1071
tfw no skogsrå to steal my soul
>>
>>51885037
Are you sure that isn't a fetus?
>>
File: neobyasnimo.jpg (35 KB, 700x490) Image search: [Google]
neobyasnimo.jpg
35 KB, 700x490
>>51885037
Sergey, is it you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSWokwLuKJk
>>
>>51885158
Not sure. I`m not a medic and so I can not confirm or deny. But the guys that found it swear that it is not a fetus.
>>
>>51885236
Lol.
>>
File: vcs1.jpg (258 KB, 1300x649) Image search: [Google]
vcs1.jpg
258 KB, 1300x649
>Csodaszarvas

A central figure in the legends surrounding the origin of the Hungarian people. The name translates to "Miraculous Deer". According to Hungarian legend, while out hunting, the brothers Hunor and Magor saw a miraculous white stag (sometimes described as golden). They pursued the animal, but it always stayed ahead of them, leading them westward into Levedia, where they married two princesses and founded the Huns and Hungarian people. One of the main reasons for claims of religious and cultural ties between Huns and Hungarians is the stag and the brothers Hunor and Magor.
>>
One tale you'll find all over Europe (Latin, Celtic, Germanic, Slav) is the wild hunters. Sometimes it is Wodan leading them, or another legendary figure or king. It is always at night, like the ghostriders in the sky from the USA, a wild hunt is going on and the rider stop for no one. Legend says if they offer you meat from the hunt you will die, except if you ask for salt. They can't give salt for some reason, so you can give the meat back.
>>
>>51884785
This basically. Growing up in rural northern US I heard a lot about Wendigos.
>>
>>51886128

So the whole Witcher series is bascially European folklore come alive. Neat.
>>
File: 1448950670164.jpg (553 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1448950670164.jpg
553 KB, 800x600
I live kinda near the bottom end of the Appalachian Mountains. We don't really have any monster folklore here, but the movie Deliverance is always at the front of everyone's minds when you go out into the woods too deep. Those people really are out there in these parts. I always advise people hiking the Appalachian Trail to bring a gun in case they wake up to 4 hill billies with shot guns and three gallons of anal lube outside their tents.
>>
>>51874245
In Mexico they have Juan del Oso. I think it's common in a lot of countries though. Dunno where it originated, probably Europe. Half bear half human.
>>
File: Кикимора.jpg (34 KB, 416x480) Image search: [Google]
Кикимора.jpg
34 KB, 416x480
>>51874245
Lilim and Kikimora females beings who hunted on boys and mans.
>>
>>51884363
Enjoying your stay in Sweden, Muhammad?

https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyktgubbe

>/.../ en osalig ande efter en avliden lantmätare, som fuskat då ägogränserna mättes upp och flyttat en gräns utan tillstånd. Han tvingades därför att i alla evigheter följa den rätta rågången (gränsen) och kunde ibland visa sig som ett hastigt irrbloss om natten.
>>
>>51877972
The bunyip is a murderous water sprrite, it seemingly can take any form, if its range amongst different language groups and that one Dot cartoon is to be believed.

Locally it looks like a mix of DRR DRR DRR and the Closer monsters from Silent Hill 3.
>>
>>51874303
I know some guy that claims he saw one of those crazy witches in mexican folklore. I think it was like a flying head of something outside his window.
>>
>>51885529
so is the word magyar a derivative of magor?
>>
>>51877637
the amount of time it takes to pass a round in that game just grows exponentially
>>
>>51874482
This with proper names and
>Draug pic related.
One variant could live in your toilet or outhouse.
>Hulder.
Human-like creatures with tails that lived underground. You still find their hairstyle among hipsters and homeless.
>>
>>51888072
Yes, according to the legends, hungarians are the descendants of Magor. When the two tribes overpopulated the land, huns traveled to the east and magyars to the west.
Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.