[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If China invade Taiwan RIGHT NOW what happens?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4
File: 1307983897001.png (18 KB, 417x500) Image search: [Google]
1307983897001.png
18 KB, 417x500
If China invade Taiwan RIGHT NOW what happens?
>>
The world wins
>>
>>51738194
it invades economically, acutally
>>
More Chinese people appear in my neighbourhood. I wonder how they'd get along with the mainlanders that are here.
>>
>>51738194
The US immediately mobilizes, blows the fuck out of the outdated Chinese navy and air force, and the Chinese are left with their huge amount of ground forces that they have no means to get out of their country.
>>
>>51738194
>invade
It's their territory, it wouldn't be an invasion.
>>
>>51739028
I used to live with a mainlander and a taiwanese guy... neither of them spoke to eachother which was awkward
>>
>>51738252
>>51738946
>>51739028
Actually I expected answers like "US intervene" or "UN do nothing"

So murican what do you think will happen?
>>
International outrage but not much else. The US might use it as an excuse to push China down a bit but I doubt it. Hugely devastating economic sanctions
>>
>>51739122
why would they do something for a unrecognized non-country?
>>
>>51739122
Well for one the UN doesn't recognise Taiwan's sovereignty and if the US intervenes they would lose a massive trading partner to protect an island. So they wouldn't do much I don't think.
>>
chinese living in okinawa cause terror against U.S army and jsdf
>>
>>51739202
>>51739217
>>51739219
So literally Crimea?
>>
The cross-strait relations confuse the fuck out of me.

Do Taiwanese despise people from Fujian, too, which I believe is the ancestral home for the majority of Taiwanese?
>>
>>51739290
worse than Crimea

Taiwan relies on USA, Mainland China too much

What would USA lose if we are not partnership?
>nothing

International Organisation?
>Taiwan is part of PRC, we respect One China Policy
don't give a shit to us
>>
>>51739202
there is absolutely no way in hell anyone would impose sanctions on china. the dragon is not russia, nobody fucks with the dragon.

nothing would happen. the only reason it doesnt its because for some reason it suits china not to.
>>
>>51739290
I guess except I hear that Crimea has been difficult for the Russians with costs of maintaining power supply and the nearby war in Ukraine, I doubt China would have as much difficulty.
>>
>>51739351

Not at all, although all of my family members speak Hokkien.
>>
>>51739202
>>51739217
>>51739219
Disregarding the Taiwan Relations Act, losing their credibility as an ally? The US' policy towards China isn't very submissive, and they seem to value smaller allies like Japan over China as well.
>>51739290
Who knows if the US had intervened there if the Russians had done a less careful job politically or if the Ukraine had been part of NATO. China would go for a more open and aggressive invasion I think, and Taiwan lacks the political unrest that allows for the pretence of 'restoring order'.
>>
Didn't the US promise to protect Taiwan when it's attacked? Though America is more than likely to break that promise since going on a war against China could mean the end of the world. Nukes actually do save lives.
>>
>>51739507
>Taiwan Relations Act
This is US domestic law, who's gonna enforce it against the US if it doesn't comply?
>>
>>51739653
USA owes China money, probably do nothing
>>
>>51739681
Nobody is going to enforce anything against the US whether it is domestic law or not. I just said it would heavily damage their credibility as an ally.
>>51739726
That would actually be a reason to invade rather than to abstain from combat.
>>
>>51739726
So did Nazi Germany to France and UK. It didn't stop the invasion. On the contrary, like >>51739789 said, it could trigger a war.
>>
>>51739948
I would be happy if they helped

Do you remember Vietnam
>kill a lot of Communist North Vietnamese
>still lose the control of South Vietnamese
>>
>>51740223
>few decades later
>vietnam is now the most pro-US country in the region even though they lost most of what they had
I still don't understand this
>>
>>51740460
Stockholm syndrome
>>
>>51740460
I meant, even we won or be recognized country.

>would lose again
>temporary victory
>>
>>51739653
Funnily enough, this logic has been used by some analysts to argue why any conflict in the Pacific wouldn't become nuclear. Essentially, "If we just sink a few ships in a minor naval skirmish, there's no way they'll start a nuclear war and annihilate humanity over that." Part of the issue with nuclear deterrence is it relies heavily on how far each side is willing to go before backing down.

It's also very reliant on the personalities of the participants. If there had been a different Soviet leader at the helm other than Khrushchev during the Cuban Missile Crisis, we might well have seen nuclear war. It was only because of a few high ranking individuals in JFK's cabinet had personal dealings with Khrushchev and assured him that he would be willing to compromise if they gave him an opening to do so. Castro, on the other hand, wanted to preemptively strike the United States if they attempted to blockade Cuba, allegedly scaring the hell out of Khrushchev over the phone. In the event of any Taiwan crisis, a large part of it would come down to the individual personalities of Obama and Xi.
>>
>>51740596
>we
die in hell yanqui
>>
Intervene and challenge China's new "sea boundaries". Give us another reason to project more force in south east Asia as well. Continue to elevate tensions, it's the American thing to do.
>>
>>51740460
For the United States, Vietnam was a quagmire that left scars on the public memory for decades.

For Vietnam, the United States was yet another would-be foreign invader.
>>
>>51740596
It's a completely hypothetical situation that we can't really predict very well. China is extremely unlikely to invade because it is much more dependant on the US and EU than the other way around.
The eventual outcome would entirely depend on the domestic political consequences there would be if they lost a war against the US, or won with heavy losses. In one of the best cases, it would cause a change of regime towards a more democratic one that Taiwan would be more inclined to reunite with.
I do think that in almost any likely scenario Taiwan will eventually be reunited with mainland however.
>>
They don't need to. PRC has already won.
>>
PRC tried to invade Taiwan but USA stopped them.

PRC claims ROC has been eliminated and disappeared since RoC has no control to Mainland.

I still don't get this argument
>>
>>51740775
Yet of their foreign invaders, Vietnam now somehow loves the US, and hates China the same way it always did.
Plus the US invaded Japan too, but Japanese public opinion seems very critical of the US.
>>
>>51740970
They just don't want to admit they failed, it's very simple.
>>
>>51740851
China tends to not depend on anyone, they usually do everything by themself.

and unfortunatly, the only possibilty is waiting for their collapse.
>still have years await
>>
>>51740638
But what if it was Trump not Obama? He sounds like one of the most aggressive US presidential candidates I've ever seen. He might actually want to use nukes to ensure American domination over the world.
>>
File: BoP-Report-32.png (20 KB, 309x764) Image search: [Google]
BoP-Report-32.png
20 KB, 309x764
>>51740996
Japanese public opinion is generally pro-American in regard to foreign policy, despite controversy over bases and TPP.

Vietnam-Chinese relations have been mostly affected by fears over current territorial issues sparking conflict between the two countries rather than longstanding grudges if surveys of the Vietnamese populace are to be believed.
>>
>>51741208
Gotta visit Taiwan before the mainlanders completely ruin it
>>51741259
He might actually do it, the absolute madman
>>
>>51741259
Trump has expressed several Pro-Putin statements and a general willingness to put aside ideology for practical business purposes with regard to authoritarian governments. If anything, he'll be the type to negotiate a sell out of Taiwan to the Chinese sphere of influence.
>>
>>51741474
He seems like the type to turn America authoritarian if he could 2bqh senpai
>>
>>51738194
Nothing. And no one will care.
>>
Trump was a businessman
>sell everything out as possible
>>
>>51741347
There's another graph of these views in circulation that generally shows more negative views from every country, probably has to do with the questions the researchers asked.
It is still remarkable that Vietnam is that positive towards the US though.
>>
America complains but wouldn't do anything serious.

Perhaps some sanctions, but they can't really afford to stop trading with China.
>>
>>51741594
You mean like they stopped trading with Japan after they won the pacific war, or stopped trading with Germany even though they had been on the other side or the war?
>>
>>51741474
I see. Trump becoming the president could mean the end of Taiwan's existence. America could just not take any action should China annex Taiwan by force. China would write off debts in return.
>>
>>51741551
>Being this ignorant.
You might care if the price of all electronic products suddenly doubled.
>>
>>51741730
All things are made in China, why the price would be doubled?
>>
>>51741841
>>51741730
>>51741551
The life expectancy of all electronic products will suddenly be halved, because they would be replaced by Chinese brands.
>>
>>51741965
what would prices of computer parts go if we were annexed?

>Taiwan
>Comouter parts
>>
>>51741585
It could be a different year, the numbers can actually shift quite a bit based on current events. There are some basic trends in regions, such as the Middle East having low favorability ratings and sub-Sahran Africa having high ratings, but even then an incident that gets a lot of attention can swing the numbers pretty impressively sometimes.

>>51741728
It's possible. Politicians who advocate a strong ideological approach to foreign relations have actually fallen out of favor since the Iraq debacle, where building democracy was generally discredited, but those types are also the most likely to stick with Taiwan on a purely ideological basis as a bastion of democracy. Most major figures in both parties now lean toward peace-through-markets strategies, hence a general fondness for sanctions.
>>
>>51739466
We fuck with them all the time, family
>>
>>51738194
I imagine the US would be happy because there's a chance to use their navy.
>>
>>51742270
rare flag
>>
File: 1375883669070.jpg (645 KB, 2100x1575) Image search: [Google]
1375883669070.jpg
645 KB, 2100x1575
Team China
>>
>>51742345
Sup Taiwan-bro? I don't think the US would let the Mainland win. You guys are more useful as a political foot ball.
› a problem that politicians from different parties argue about and try to use in order to get an advantage for themselves:
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/a-political-football
>>
File: 1394958372185.jpg (913 KB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
1394958372185.jpg
913 KB, 3008x2000
Team China (Gommie)
>>
>>51742449
>>51742508
They both look like okay guys. Would suck it they killed each other over a pointless dispute.
>>
>>51742456
Mainlanders mention about Mao's done or praising their politician's policies are good for people whenever I discuss anything about Mainland.

I get cursed as KMT spy while I say any negative to Mainland
>>
大家好。
我恨怨共産主義
共産主義打死!

我支援資本主義。
我不能理解臭近平。
>>
> Deep concern intensifies
> Taiwan becomes gommie clay
>>
There would be only one China.

>be prc
>be security council
>every country is heavily dependent on their economy

they would just veto any un resolution against them tbqh
and sanctions how hurt both sides equally
no usa leader would risk losing so much popularity and votes by fucking their own economy for some chinks
>>
>>51742270
RARE FLAG
A
R
E

F
L
A
G
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.