[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where to settle down?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: LargeHardinessZoneMap.jpg (398 KB, 1650x1275) Image search: [Google]
LargeHardinessZoneMap.jpg
398 KB, 1650x1275
I'm currently an expat, originally from a larger midwest city. Help me find my new home to settle down in! Sell me on a place, im the kind of migrant you want in town ;3

I'm considering where to settle down in the US/Canada eventually.... lived in scandinavia and SEA so far.

I have 100k USD cash and likely can get a job paying 55-60k USD/yr in America. I dont like cold but I can survive, I dont want to be in punishing debt for housing forever and need a elevator or ground floor house due to minor disabilities. Ideally lots of people who moved to that city so it is easier to make a new social life (not too clicky).
the list:
Denver, Chicago, Miami, Austin, Vancouver

Other suggested destinations?
>>
>>51675309
anyone lived in DC or NC?
>>
Would have been a good thread

You should bump it a few times
>>
>>51676409
first time on this board, is it slow?
>>
>>51676459
It's one of the fastest boards, you just need someone to notice your thread
>>
>>51676459
It's a very fast board, it's just that during this time of day, most of Europe is a sleep, so the board is almost entirely nonsensical shitposting. There were, up until a few minutes ago 20+ threads on breadsticks.
Anyways, I've never lived there, but I know quite a bit about DC (know people that live down there, visit a lot, etc). I'm not sure how much I'll be able to answer, but I'll give it a try.
>>
Haven't you lived in SF before? I thought I saw someone from there with a Singapore flag before.

What kind of place would you like to live? Describe things you like.
>>
File: 1372944232221.gif (753 KB, 1000x677) Image search: [Google]
1372944232221.gif
753 KB, 1000x677
>>51676478
well fuck, im from /diy/ and /biz/ which are usually slow as fuck...wasnt sure where to post this as /trv/ are kinda retarded...thanks for info anon.

I would stay in Singapore but my parents are getting old so I should probably move back to N America...

my concern with miami is flooding and austin/denver due to drought due to climate change over the next 30 yrs.

an international scene and good air connections would be nice as ive been an expat for 10 yrs and have gotten accustomed to this lifestyle.

likely looking for jobs in real estate development, so I cant live in the middle of nowhere.

pic unrelated
>>
File: 1411061556633.jpg (42 KB, 330x315) Image search: [Google]
1411061556633.jpg
42 KB, 330x315
>>51675309
>Heato Rico
>>
File: tumblr_n3e2w0iEXJ1s2z57co1_1280.jpg (146 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n3e2w0iEXJ1s2z57co1_1280.jpg
146 KB, 640x640
>>51676556
never been west of Santa Fe.

I love hiking and canoeing, chilling in low key bars with friends, city life and travel. I love DIY (gardening, carpentry, etc)...I work in architectural design and want to remain with the developer side as it pays better than the consultant side of the industry.

I can handle 90f weather better than -10f weather.

pic unrelated but epic
>>
Depending on how you want your weather and social life, Minneapolis is a good place to settle in.
>>
File: caribbean-political-map.gif (450 KB, 1699x1000) Image search: [Google]
caribbean-political-map.gif
450 KB, 1699x1000
>>51676696
I considered it due to the warm weather, but man their economy is fucked and crime is high.

Perhaps the Caribbean, like caymen islands or bahamas where there is private equity and real estate developers? I know nothing about the carib....
>>
>>51676744
why mini apples?
>>
>>51676716
Might like Hawaii...
You like big towns or small towns?
>>
>>51677055
Oops, I can't read
Honolulu, then. Very touristy though.
>>
>>51677125
He said he wanted to get closer to his old parents, what's the poing going to Hawaii
>>
Normally I wouldn't say this, but living in Colorado myself, Denver might be something you like. Many people do outdoorsy stuff, there's lots of >Muh microbreweries and bars, the winters can get cold and snowy but it is technically a desert-prairie meaning you get 60s in January and regularly get up to 100 in summer.

The only things I would warn you about is that we are flooded with retards who came for weed and are worsening unemployment. If you can't get a job before coming here, don't bother. The same weed retards are also driving up housing tremendously. It sucks. There's problems with Mexicans and Mexican gangs, but since you're from the midwest I expect you're at least familiar with that breed of scum.
>>
>>51677186
Oh... New Orleans?
At least Hawaii is closer than Singapore.
>>
File: simple map of shitty countries.jpg (208 KB, 1898x727) Image search: [Google]
simple map of shitty countries.jpg
208 KB, 1898x727
>>51677055
I actually looked at homes on the north coast at teh 500k mark, not bad looks like the phillipines (in a good way) but ya it is too far from my folks. hawaii might as well be singapore :/

>>51677328
not sure if i have to compete with them for jobs? I drink microbrew but im no hippy, I assume they are all in low wage service jobs?

the housing is pricy as fuck but likely to be a good medium term investment. I reckon I can afford a 300-350k home there if i can get a job and my GF can get something over 30-40k (saleswomen)...

no mexicans where im from the bosnians wont let them settle in. I must be from the only midwest city with few mex...

pic unrelated
>>
>>51677420
ya Ive heard New Orleans is great and cheap as hell, but jobs and crime? plus it will flood in the next 20 yrs wiping out my home.

I intend to sell when my kids are in uni and retire in the south of spain, so ill probably need a home above water.

are you from N.O.?
>>
>>51677549
grew up in nola and moved to maui when I was 10
i live in sf now

might like san diego?
>>
>>51677494

>I drink microbrew but im no hippy, I assume they are all in low wage service jobs?

No, actually. Many are, but we've been getting people from all walks of life here who think they'll quit their job and open a pot shop in Colorado, which is stupid and doesn't happen, so they go back to what they were doing before. I don't know the specifics of the architectural design field of course, but again, I would strongly recommend against coming here thinking you'll get a job and then opps, no, you don't.

300-350 won't get you into the best neighborhoods Denver has to offer, but you won't be stuck in the worst either. Another word of warning, traffic is getting worse by the year so if you or your gf ever have to commute it will suck.
>>
>>51676256
DC elected a crackhead as mayor. It's the last place in the US where I would want to live. Chicago is somewhat trashy too. Denver now has lmao weed eveywhere. Miami is hot humid and crime infested (Miami Dade). Austin is the Californian faggot relocation city. Seattle suffers from dude weed lmao as well, but it's cleaner than Denver and surprisingly not very cold. My pick would be Denver or Seattle. I've never been to Vancouver so I can't comment.
>>
>>51677549
New Orleans is nice if you want to get wasted and hook up with cheap sluts. It's dirty, and no place for children.
>>
>>51677706
how is SF? my friend there said it is insanely expensive and only tech folks can afford it and save money at the same time...

>>51677772
id like to live near a rail line, im ok to DIY renovate a house if the neighborhood can support it. I would have to come without a job and rent for the 1st year until I have a job and ive learned the neighborhoods well enough to buy. maybe start my own biz after I get a feel for the markets and crunch numbers(not in weed or brewing).

so the job market is not great in denver? what about longmont or boulder?

anyone lived in DC or Raleigh?
>>
>>51675309
NYC or bust
>>
>>51677967
rather be in STL then...probably less trashy and better economy
>>
>>51677999
I'm still here >>51676528
As far as I know, there's only one DC poster here, and he's not likely to be on since it's 1AM.
>>
>>51677999
your friend is right
There are a lot of expats though, so you would fit right in.
>>
>>51678030
it's just trashy if you visit tourist spots
it's fun sometimes but you don't really go there ever
>>
>>51678188
economy?
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.