[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is learning Afrikaans pointless?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: images (2).jpg (4 KB, 150x90) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
4 KB, 150x90
>>
learning any language besides English is nothing more than a hobby or what you do to sound smart

unless you REALLY want to shitpost on /luso/ that badly
>>
Yes. If you're not marrying into an Afrikaans family, I don't see the point. Everyone speaks English in South Africa. Only advantage is that you will be able to laugh at our jokes.
>>
can put it on a resume
>>
you'll only need to learn the words "yes" and "faster".

useful while oogabooga's ramming you from behind.
>>
>>51580904
Afrikaans is African Dutch m8
>>
>>51581358
learning any language other than English, like Portuguese for example
>>
>>51580862
Learn Dutch. Its easier for an English speaker than most languages.
>>
>>51581556
Nah, it's really not. It's a bitch to pronounce, German's easier to pronounce but the grammar's crazy. The romance languages are easier by far.
>>
>>51580862
Do bleck South Africans learn afrikaans?
>>
>>51581920
as far as i know yes
>>
>>51581765
I took German in high school and the genders were annoying. I want to learn Afrikaans just for the hell of it because I feel stupid for not knowing a second language. I know it probably wouldn't be useful but I already have some knowledge of German and by what I've seen from it so far it looks pretty easy.
>>
>>51580862
As usefull as learning romanian or guaranĂ­
>>
>>51581920

It's the second most spoken language in South Africa
>>
>>51581920
colombia you have a turk on your flag
>>
>>51582196
Afrikaans is retarded. Believe me. Pointless. Better waste your time on something that you could actually use. In fact, even Latin is a better idea
>>
>>51580862
Yes it's about as useless as learning Japanese.
>>
OK, I don't know what the fuck is wrong with me.

I'm learning it anyway.
>>
>>51581765
Dutch is possibly the closest to English whilst being a completely different language.
German is no way easier once you get into the intricacies. Basic German and fluent are miles apart.
>The romance languages are easier by far.
Shut up lad.
>>
>>51582345
uruguay someone stole half your stripes
>>
>>51582520
No you shut up, I find them both easier to pronounce and remembering grammar. Who cares about Dutch? Most Dutch speak English anyways, there's no practical use for learning Dutch, even German for that matter.

So suck my cock
>>
>>51582479
>I'm learning it anyways

In other words you mean you're going to learn the phonetics, some grammar and some words but come nowhere close to being fluent. Why don't you piss away your time half-learning a useful language?
>>
>>51582953
What's a useful language anyways? Spanish?
>>
>>51582520
Romance languages are easier though. Spanish and Italian especially.
>>
>>51582990
Plus,if you learn italian,you can understand spanish and portuguese (without slangs and speaking slowly), and so on
french is too different,you might understand something but not all of it
>>
>>51582988
As in you have a good chance of utilizing it for your benefit. Any of the top ten most spoken languages or a language from a strong or emerging economy. Spanish is definitely up there.
>>
>>51580862
I really hope the language doesn't die out.
I'd like to learn it too.
>>
>>51583124
If you are in America you have little to no chance of using a second language.
>>
post afrikaans music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8nrF5aXPlQ
skip the introduction with the mixedfag
>>
>>51580862
learn arab and hebrew
>>
>>51583206

>You have little to no chance of using a second language

I live in Chicago and I hear people speaking spanish every day. I see ads for jobs requesting spanish speakers all the time. This is literally true of almost any major city in the US.

Any person who lives in a major city in the US has the chance, as you called it, to use spanish on a daily basis. Good luck finding that chance with Afrikaans.
>>
>>51581765
>>51582780
Reminder that when comparing Dutch or Frisian to English, you need to think of the English as the harsh, rhotic variety from northern or western England, in order for the similarity to be most apparent.

Auld Anglish wasn't spoken with a suthun poofta accent.
>>
>>51580862
Have you thought this through at all OP? How are you going to even learn it? I mean just doing a precursory search it looks like there are almost no online resources for it.
>>
>>51583549
http://www.openlanguages.net/afrikaans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUBgWgQyEb5eTzvh4lLcuipQ&time_continue=30&v=T_8snLihxWs
http://interpret.co.za/html/dictionary.php
http://www.exploresouthafrica.net/phrasebook.htm
http://polymath.org/afrikaans.php
I don't know. Maybe you guys are right...
>>
File: crazypills.gif (483 KB, 500x296) Image search: [Google]
crazypills.gif
483 KB, 500x296
>>51583274
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.