[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If math is the universal language, then the imperial measurement
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 12
File: OMI-and-Taylor-Swift.jpg (104 KB, 656x656) Image search: [Google]
OMI-and-Taylor-Swift.jpg
104 KB, 656x656
If math is the universal language, then the imperial measurement system is a speech impediment.
>>
>>51546593
Is that the average relationship in Finland?
>>
Go back to Reddit.
>>
I use metric for most things but for height I usually state it in imperial, probably because 6'2 sounds better than 188cm
>>
Maths doesn't use measurement systems though, that's engineering, physics, etc

imperial is still retarded tho
>>
File: HaTH9YH.jpg (51 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
HaTH9YH.jpg
51 KB, 600x450
>>
>>51546593
This girl. She got AIDS
>>
>>51546754
>authors expressing their irrelevant opinions through characters
you're not breaking the fourth wall, but the stench of your opinions still comes through it
>>
>>51548704
oh wow, I guess we all didnt know that book is just author expressing himself
trough characters all along.
>>
File: 1394137500285.png (2 KB, 187x147) Image search: [Google]
1394137500285.png
2 KB, 187x147
Clueless crowd followers keep bringing up how screwed up the English standard of measurement is and how much better the metric is, when all they are doing is parroting arguments made by pretensions idiots while being completely amazed by the ability to divide by 10. "It's like soooo easy!".

Except for the fact that you can't half, quarter or third measurements in the metric system. Base 16 goes into binary and it's a perfect square.

Even temperature is a retarded thing to complain about. 32 is freezing 212 is boiling, so freaking hard right? 0 is the temperature at which ice will not melt no matter how much salt you add to it. 100 is (approximately) human body temperature.

So you look at the thermometer outside and it says ‘0F’ – don’t bother salting your sidewalks! You look at your oral thermometer and it says ‘98.6F’ (look, they made the system a long time ago, but they were close), BAM, you’re okay! No fever here. Too bad the Celsius thermometer isn’t as easy. “36.8” just isn’t as easy to remember. I rest my case.
>>
File: 1354986063098.jpg (30 KB, 660x650) Image search: [Google]
1354986063098.jpg
30 KB, 660x650
It's fags like you that killed Latin! You KILLED it! Because bastardized romance languages were soooo much easier!

A perfect language that was too difficult for casuals because of its versatility completely gone now because "learning things is for nerds!"

Now look at where the world is. Glorifying and praising idiocy and catering to the lowest common denominator. Yeah, we can use metric system, and we do, only because of you simple eurotrash faggots, but we will NOT give up the advanced mathematical beauty of the imperial system. Not for you, nor your Muslim lovers. We'll continue to use both. Fags.
>>
I remember when this BS was responsible for the crash of satellites sent to Mars. The Americans sent their their data in imperial while the Europeans sent theirs in decimal.
>>
>>51549862
Yeah right? Why would you calculate pressure in kg/m*s2 aka N/m2 aka Pa aka solely SI units if you could easily use pounds per square inch? You are trying to say that Imperial and metric are worth equally because everyone is used to the exact data he needs in his daily life which is of course right, but it's useless for every scientific/engineering purpose. inb4 b-b-but we got to the moon w/ imperial ;_; as of temperature: 1 K measures a change of 1°C, so there's that. way more practicable. and why wouldn't you be able to half or quarter measurements? 200g is half of 400g is 0,4kg. where's the fucking problem? how dense are you?
>clueless crowd follower
lmao. your only argument is "I'm used to it so it's useful" and everyone else is supposed to be wrong? Jesus F. Christ
>>
>>51549862
>>51550025
you tell em

a4 paper is literal shit as well, its based on the square root of two, what the fuck?

Letter on the other hand makes the golden mean if you lay two sheets side by side (as in a book)
>>
File: 1438970290956.png (14 KB, 296x300) Image search: [Google]
1438970290956.png
14 KB, 296x300
>>51546593
>I can't do simple unit conversions
>>
not to mention metric is literally communist units, russia is the only country to use metric exclusively for all measurements.

The more metric you are, the more commie!
>>
>>51550249
>A4 is shit

HOW
FUCKING
DENSE
ARE
YOU

I'm getting genuinely upset. You can fold it in half and it's the next standard. A4 is twice the size of A5, is twice the size of A6 etc. In which other fucking way would you organize it? Anything else literally doesn't make as much sense so please stop being a retard
>>
File: 1384750192837.jpg (33 KB, 384x461) Image search: [Google]
1384750192837.jpg
33 KB, 384x461
>>51550334
Better red than dead
>>
>>51550181
Wow, Turkey.

We use BOTH here. It's that we are used to one and not the other, its that the metric system has annoying limitations.

When your whole is 10, you quarter that and you get 2.5, third it and you get that crazy 3.33333333333 shit. When your whole is 12, quarter it and you get 3, third it and you get 4. Everything is very neat and tidy without infinite repeating decimals.

And guess what, muhammad? Every electronic device on earth? Yeah, it's language is the metric system, but by binary. Base 16.

Metric system is the peoples' metric. It's for the dunderhead masses. Go choke on a Döner.
>>
>>51550334
>>51550419

Americans are truly the worst posters on this board, thanks for confirming once again.

>binary
>base 16
it's called hexadecimal you effing retard. Don't know if it would help if I started calling you Chad or Tyrone? We'll never know.If 10/4=2,5 and 10/3=3,33 annoy you this much you're beyond help anyway.
>>
>>51550334
metric is actually absolute freedom tier because of the french revolution while imperial is authoritarianism kingdom tier because of gb (eg using the feet of a brit king lol)
the more you know
>>
Obligatory arbitrary retarded rollacoaster pic.
>>
File: 1340541728359.jpg (158 KB, 926x875) Image search: [Google]
1340541728359.jpg
158 KB, 926x875
>>51550517
Nothing you say can save you from pleb measurements of 10s.

You've been dulled and conditioned to only use one (the simplest and most limited) and you cannot even begin to wrap your head around the other. Your brains turn off at the sheer sight of numbers. This is why you will never be able stand shoulder-to-shoulder with us ever again.
>>
File: metric.png (117 KB, 878x603) Image search: [Google]
metric.png
117 KB, 878x603
>>51550737
>>
applied math can be about measurements but math itself is not just measurements

say there are 2 systems of measurements what is the thing that connects the 2, it is the math. the math makes the imperial system and the metric system relatable

if math is the universal language then the the imperial measurement system is a novel written in a local dialect, it does not impede speech but merely exercise usage
>>
>>51550737
>can't deal with fractions
>" you cannot even begin to wrap your head around the other"

I know how you shitty units work. fuck off. would you mind to explain 2 things:

a) the "binary logic" behind:
12 Inches = 1 Foot
3 Foot = 1 Yard
1760 Yards = 1 Mile
?

b) How do you express small measurements such as 0,4 cm? 0.157 inches?
>>
>>51550025
>>51549862
holy shit this has to be a troll
>>
>>51550918
>what is base 3, base 16, and base 12?
>hurr ja ich lernen Mathe!
>>
File: sssssssst.jpg (414 KB, 4331x3248) Image search: [Google]
sssssssst.jpg
414 KB, 4331x3248
>>51551013
>>
>>51546646
>Taylor Swift
>>
File: 1441504496811.jpg (101 KB, 728x636) Image search: [Google]
1441504496811.jpg
101 KB, 728x636
>we will never use a superior lunisolar calendar and stick to our out-of-phase bullshit
>we're eternally hooked on decimal despite shit like time
>>
>>51550381
I would have each size of paper be customized to be optimal for the purpose that that size of paper is going to be used for.

scalability, ease of conversion, etc, are not the most important thing for paper, units, or anything else, to be.

Those are the kinds of thigns that a fake, synthetic system that is developed in a sterile environment by someone sitting there trying to design it from the ground up with no real practical real world experience using things would come up with.

Imperial is a collection of units well suited for the task they are designed to measure. you dont NEED to convert in imperial because the units are all well suited for measuring things of different scales. Its much more practical. The only reason metricfags think conversion is so important is because their system is so unwieldy they are constantly having to jump between units.

same with paper. Letter, legal, ledger. Those are the only things you need, and if you do need something bigger than that then its obviously a specialty application and you should just design the exact dimensions you need instead of having to settle on a/b/c 0/1/2 or whatever.
>>
>>51550249
>a4 is shit
b8

The point of ISO 216 (the standard defining paper sizes) is getting the same ratio when cutting the paper in halves, which is only true if the ratio is 1:√2
>>
File: Fuck off m8.jpg (12 KB, 236x276) Image search: [Google]
Fuck off m8.jpg
12 KB, 236x276
>>51550281
>"It's simple thing m8. 45 Arbaggaroons in exactly 68 Biibedy boops, but not when during the tide.
>>
>>51551539

That's conveniently worded but still wrong.
>scalability, ease of conversion, etc, are not the most important thing for paper, units, or anything else, to be.

they are. you don't design a system (imperial measurements are actually quite different from paper norms, i'm talking about the latter now). It's a designed norm to fit every need. When you say that those sizes don't have practical/technical applications you are just plain wrong. Believe it or not, technical drawings are still being printed and need to be organized. Isn't it convenient that you can fold an A0 drawing 4 times and lock it up in your folder next all the other documents and unfold it even without removing it? just to name one example.

>Imperial is a collection of units well suited for the task they are designed to measure

If this is true this is a great flaw and enough reason to drop it and never use it again. That's not what units are for. and again, how is it impractical to use g, kg and so on? you are not "jumping between units" because everything is a decimal shift.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.