[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does the US have so much gold? What do they need it for?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7
File: GoldReserves.png (805 KB, 996x658) Image search: [Google]
GoldReserves.png
805 KB, 996x658
Why does the US have so much gold?

What do they need it for?
>>
to have a ny sort of wealth once the dollar becomes useless
>>
>relatively little goldtugal
>>
because they have stolen the Germoney's gold
>>
File: 123984729314.png (852 KB, 996x658) Image search: [Google]
123984729314.png
852 KB, 996x658
>>51541662
Your version is out of date
>>
File: s9s.jpg (15 KB, 356x356) Image search: [Google]
s9s.jpg
15 KB, 356x356
>>51541662
>Muh gold standard

IDK they like hoarding a particular useful but rare metal for some reason. There are other metals that are both rarer and more useful but the US doesn't hoard them for some reason.
>>
File: gold.png (774 KB, 996x658) Image search: [Google]
gold.png
774 KB, 996x658
>>51543273
>Using the version taken from unverified sources

I shiggy the diggy family.
>>
>>51541662
Don't worry about our gold. Just remember that gold is a completely worthless thing. You should totally trade in your gold and assets for US dollars and US treasuries, that's real money. Money that is actually convenient to use. Gold? what is this 1890? C'mon man.

Yeah our central bank and the european central bank and the chinese central bank and the japanese central bank and the indian central bank and the israeli central bank hold some gold here and there. That's mostly because of tradition though. Don't think about it too much.

Just remember that the only real money that you need is greenbacks and digits on a computer screen. Get with the times.
>>
>>51543314
does that mean portugal has high amounts of gold?
>>
>>51543348
I don't even know any more
>>
>>51543318
>The world economy will collapse and that will make gold the most valuable thing on earth

Nigga when civilisation is coming to an end and anarchy reigns, you think anyone wants your fuck heavy gold bricks to lug around?
>>
My family own something like $30,000 worth in gold bars. I am personally broke as a joke though. Youngest son aint getting squat.
>>
>>51541691
if the dollar became useless every other currency also would, paco
>>
>>51543375
Do you think, when anarchy comes, paper money and online savings accounts will be much more useful than gold?

I'm not saying gold is the only thing you should have. You should also gather food, water, shelter, firearms, ammo, friends, etc. if you think disaster is imminent.

But gold will be the currency that is used to exchange food, water, firearms, etc. in such a society.

But go ahead, don't buy gold. I'm sure your mutual funds will save you.
>>
>>51543314
>nobody realized you edited out New Zealand.
>>
>>51543469
I don't think society is going to fall apart tomorrow. So most of my money is a number on a screen. But thinking that number doesn't mean anything is retarded.

If I did think society was going to end tomorrow I sure as fuck wouldn't start buying up loads of gold. there's not much point betting on the apocalypse m8.
>>
>>51543375
You have obviously never held any substantial amount of gold.

20kg of gold in a small suitcase or backpack is worth about $900,000 dollars in today's prices. That's enough to last a family for a decade.

Even a few small bars that occupy the space of a couple smartphones would last you a couple years in terms of buying food and shelter.

Keep in mind that if any serious instability happens, gold prices would skyrocket. Current gold prices are low because there is a sole superpower keeping relative peace in the world between major powers.
>>
>>51543535
I looked at the map for a good 20 seconds and didn't realise what he had changed until you posted that kek
>>
They "borrowed" it from Germany
>>
ever injected gold straight into your veins, m8?
we're riding the golden shekel
>>
>>51543469
>But gold will be the currency that is used to exchange
Bottle caps and blowjobs will be the currency of the post-apocalyptic wasteland m8y
>>
>>51543557
I get that you think anarchy is unlikely. I agree it is extremely unlikely and that is why i don't hoard gold right now.

But why do you think gold is a bad idea even during anarchy? I'm genuinely curious.

Again, you would obviously stock up on lots of things and want to connect with a group of people, etc. But why not have gold too? or silver or platinum, etc (small things that are easy to carry and have lots of value in the eyes of most people even without government pressure)
>>
File: 1433090596131.jpg (11 KB, 250x247) Image search: [Google]
1433090596131.jpg
11 KB, 250x247
>lolbertarians that think paper money has no value but think gold does
It's like arguing with creationists, or BLM supporters
>>
File: gold.png (50 KB, 702x638) Image search: [Google]
gold.png
50 KB, 702x638
>>51543562
Gold is used as a safe haven for investors when there is financial instability. They do that with the intention of cashing out into dollars at a latter date.

Gold was at it's highest price in 1980 and 2008. Not because of any impending doom, but due to major instability in financial markets.
>>
>>51543607
Okay you collect bottle caps and I will collect gold in case we think disaster is impending.

I don't think disaster is impending so don't go off on that argument. We're just talking about if it was impending somehow.
>>
>>51543677
>they do that with the intention of cashing out into dollars at a latter date
I agree partially. They do it with the intention of cashing out into whatever currency remains relevant after the relevant crisis. If that is the dollar, that is what they will go with. If the dollar has collapsed or declined and the yuan has replaced it, people will convert into yuan.

An example of this was when people converted their gold into dollars instead of pound sterling after 1945. Pound sterling was no longer top dog as it was before the war.
>>
File: Central banks.jpg (199 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Central banks.jpg
199 KB, 1366x768
>>51543666
If gold has no value, why does every single major central bank hold lots of gold?
>>
>>51543643
I really doubt in a barter economy people would value gold as higher as the equivalent amount of say antibiotics/anti-viral drugs. You'd be much better off buying things that have no way of being produced in the future but hold immediate utility.
>>
>>51543787
If dollars have no value, why does every single major central bank hold lots of dollars?
>>
>>51543795
>libertarians
>logic beyond fox news commercials telling them to buy gold now for the impending hard times
>all while gold is still on a death spiral since 2008
lmao
>>
>>51543795
Could be. Maybe even high grade ammo.

I think gold/silver would be most ideal for semi-anarchy like during the bronze age or during the iron age. Or even during colonialism.

You do need some semblance of society for it to function though. Because in complete anarchy, I think you are right that people would want more basic necessities and would not think about storing value.
>>
Because America has a lot of investors and investors think of gold as the safest money reserve.
>>
>>51543826
When did I say dollars have no value? I think both dollars and gold are useful to hold.

Don't put words in my mouth you cunt.
>>
>>51543201
We have tranferred the gold back already. Even serious heads of the central banks weren't comfident that the USA still have the Gold that they claim to own on paper. So we transfered our gold back from fortknox, just in case.
The same is true for our Gold in London and Paris but we didn't transfer all of it because we need a certain volume of gold at the place to do trade.
>>
>why gold???

It's safe. For centuries during times of economic strife, people have invested in gold. Because gold is safe. Its price won't drop because its price is not mostly artificial.

You can bet your arse that no matter what bubble is going on or going to pop, gold is still safe to invest in.
>>
>>51543888
Gold is a save money reserve for states but not for businesses or private persons, as every inflation crisis also came up with a ban on Gold and forced debts on property.
>>
>>51543787
Do you know the dirty secret about diamonds?

Also gold is not allways good>>51543921

Also Silver is historically saver than gold. But theres also a dirty secret about silver...
Most of the traded Silver is Silver that "is about" to be mined...
So many of the Silver in circulation might never ever exist as allmoust all minable Silver is allready mined.
So we have a bubble here where everyone speculates to get one ounce of the last Silver that is ever mined before it's actually mined
>>
>>51544101
the dirty secret about diamonds is why they're a fantastic investment.
>>
>>51544173
As long as De Beers keeps it's monopoly on the not at all rare stones.
>>
>>51544252
>it's

it's its.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.