[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FRENCH BROS... I'm almost done with french classes in university
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: 1354490400437.png (89 KB, 206x200) Image search: [Google]
1354490400437.png
89 KB, 206x200
FRENCH BROS...

I'm almost done with french classes in university but know I will need to fully immerse myself to fully understand the language.
How do I not be the cringey American tourist that thinks he can speak French?

Should I spend some time in Quebec? Or should I just go accept that I'm going to sound like a retard and be made fun of for a while and deal with it.
>>
Just be yourself.
>>
Spending time in Québec will just teach you their own version of French.
>>
>go to France
>get a job in a french cafe
>try to stay at least 3 months
>speak french
>?????
>profit
>>
File: 1323954328001.jpg (30 KB, 573x467) Image search: [Google]
1323954328001.jpg
30 KB, 573x467
>>51504929
>go to France
>get a job
>>
>>51504775
Watch movies, read books, watch youtube content in french, read french threads on /int/, study the structures, idiomatic expressions.

Watch movies/documentaries in english with french subtitles.
>>
>>51504775

I thought I knew German pretty well, but I did not.
I tried immersion in Germany, it did not really work very well.
People don't want to hear their language fucked up, if they speak English they will interrupt you with "I speak English".
But this was Germany, more there speak good English than France.
>>
>>51505101
My previous experience in Germany was exactly the same. However a lot of it was because Germans (at least the rural ones) seem totally fucking SOLD on America. I'm also from Los Angeles which everyone ate up as well (this city is bullshit). They all listened to American music, watched American and you could tell they were pretty stoked to speak English.

This was not true for elderly people though. They seemed legitimately insulted at how bad my German was.
>>
>>51505266
watched american movies/tv***
>>
you fucked up by not doing a study abroad there

either self study like a mother fucker or get a job there (lol)
>>
>>51505266
>I'm also from Los Angeles
That's funny.
The first question I normally got was "Are you from California?"
>This was not true for elderly people though.

Not many of them spoke good English. Also Bavarian German is different from what you may have learned in school, that could also be an issue.
>>
There are a ton of countries in Africa that use French as the lingua franca nigguh. You can do immersion there on the cheap.
>>
>>51504998
>>51505334

Actually bars, cafes and especially restaurantd are struggling to find Chefs de cuisine, bartenders, etc nowadays. The reason for this is that nobody in France wants to work on Sundays or evenings.
>>
>>51505467
i wasn't implying that it would be impossible to find a job in france, honestly im not aware of your countries situation in that regard but figured it would be decent

said it because this guy obviously has a degree and would end up moving to france to do a job that is way under his skillset
>>
>>51505467
morel ike nobody want a shit salary
>>
You can come in my place and be my bf
I'll cook for you and make you visit while you'll teach me how to do proper BBQ

I'm a power bottom btw
>>
>>51505688
ok
>>
>>51505266

A lot of people who aren't native speakers make a lot of errors so it's just easier to understand english. I don't think the problem is about how you pronounce stuff or a messed up word order but the meaning is often hard to get.
>>
>>51505688
what's a power bottom? You take it up your ass but you're giving orders?
>>
>>51505440
Are there places in north Africa that aren't insanely muslim and/or shitholes?

>>51505467
European work ethic is odd. Things seem to function well but it seems like no one is ever at work. I will look into this, I work graveyard (11pm-7am) as it is.

For the time being I'm gonna continue shitposting my way to fluency.
>>
>>51505688
OP here. I'm a vegetarian so I don't think it'll work :'[
>>
>>51505812
Yes, I take it but I generate most of the power

>>51505970
>veggie

huh out of my way
>>
>>51505688
lmao are you gay or something
>>
>>51506555
jealous? i'm the one lmaoing
>>
>>51506600
lmao no i'd rather you were girl
>>
>>51506616
i can be a girl whenever i want lmao jealous about that too?
>>
>>51506644
lmao how can you be a girl you have a penis lmao
>>
>>51506689
lmao such medieval thinking doesn't surprise me from you go play with your camels or something lmao
>>
>>51506750
>medieval thinking
lmao lad it's just basic biology
>>
add shaunreid00 on skype I am a canadian from quebec we have a french language shitposting group
>>
>>51505688
Sign me up please
>>
>>51504775
Every english speaker who isn't native will speak like a mentally challenged person. Same goes with french.
That's part of learning.
Some people will make banter, but most of them will be happy because you try.
>>
Chercez la famme, OP
>>
>>51505467
Stop this. Millions of people work on sundays/week ends, either in private or public jobs. THe reason why people don't like waiters jobs is because the wage and the working hours are extremely shit.
>>
>>51505940
The Taiwanese guy is technically right, as most of the former colonies in Africa have French as an official language.
However, the reality is that French is only the base, and they have an extremely thick accent that often make them hard to understand, as wel as they have included a lot of words, grammar and expressions of their local languages into it, so in the end it's often more "heavily related to French" rather than proper French.
>>
Il fait froid.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.