[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The image of mother in Japanese culture
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 13
File: Maetel-65523-85734-3.jpg (15 KB, 368x580) Image search: [Google]
Maetel-65523-85734-3.jpg
15 KB, 368x580
The image of mother in Japanese culture

Hi everyone!

Whatching Japanese movies (50-80) and animes I realized there`s a certain image of mother in Japanese culture. I mean a number of characteristics which an ideal mother should posses. I`ve faced the same features again and again.

I want to name some of them below. Could you tell me if I comprehend it right or wrong?

Firstly, a mother is extemely calm and well-balanced. She`s not prone to histerya or something like that. She`s also wise.

Then, the mother`s reserved. She doesn`t like talking much. She supresses her feelings. and perfectly controls her emotions as well. She also doesn`t like expresing feelings and emotions in vain. However she`s gentle and warm to you.

She`s a little bit mysterious for you because of her reserved personality. This fact make her attractive for you.

Thus, the main features of the image of mother is Japan are calmness, reserved personality, gentleness and wisdom. It seems these things are the most significant things for the Japanese culture.
>>
File: 1447336314722.jpg (739 KB, 1365x1365) Image search: [Google]
1447336314722.jpg
739 KB, 1365x1365
>>51142823
Incest, primarily
>>
>>51142965
you smart
>>
>>51142823
Why are there so many blonde women in anime? I thought it was quite a rare trait in Japan.
>>
>>51142823
I can see the raging Oedipal complex within OP from this side of the screen.
>>
>>51142823
Too bad Jap women are often the exact opposite of what they picture.

Mothers might be reserved towards their children but they're ultra demanding as well and their calmnes goes away when it's time to fuck it's child up for the grades, because grades are all that matters in life, right?

t. guy who dated a Jap girl for a long time and met her parents
>>
>>51143071
>Mothers might be reserved towards their children but they're ultra demanding as well and their calmnes goes away when it's time to fuck it's child up for the grades, because grades are all that matters in life, right?
I`m not gonna dispute with you. Probably you`re right. I just said about the ideal mother image in the culture you know.
>>
>>51143034
>Why are there so many blonde women in anime?
> it was quite a rare trait in Japan.
>Therefore, it`s thought to be unusual, cool and bizzare.
>>
File: nekoclever.jpg (138 KB, 705x1024) Image search: [Google]
nekoclever.jpg
138 KB, 705x1024
>>51142823
C`mon guys. It would be great if the Japanese themselves answered the question.
>>
>>51142823
Japanese mothers literally give their sons handjobs to "relieve pressure". It's not even considered a sexual act in Japan.
>>
It's a troupe
The image is mostly associated with the samurai wife or rather the continuation of the image in the modern setting

It has more to do with how Japan views women should be rather than how they are
>>
>>51143546
>Japanese mothers literally give their sons handjobs to "relieve pressure". It's not even considered a sexual act in Japan.
>These stupid Murricans` stereotypes about the other nations.
>>
>>51143652
it's true

my mom is japanese
>>
>>51143629
>the samurai wife
You mean a woman who`s absolutely obedient to her spouse, don`t you?
>>
>>51143055
holy shit I first time seen chinese there
>>
2 nukes wasn't enough
>>
>>51143979
well in the way that she is loyal and reserved
there is the symbol of the paragon virtue
it is featured a lot in anime tv shows and movies

it not specifically unquestioning obedience but at least always morally upright

that doesn't mean most people are or even capable of it
>>
>>51142823

Can we all agree Galaxy Express 999 is one of the best anime of all time?
>>
>>51142823
Galaxy Express needs a good remake tbqh
>>
>>51144119
>Can we all agree Galaxy Express 999 is one of the best anime of all time?
Speaking about theTV series yes we can. The movie is such a crap.
>>
>>51144000

(!!!)
>>
80% of japs fucks their mothers to good grades.

I'm imagining what gooks do.
>>
>>51144095
>well in the way that she is loyal and reserved
I got it. You`re right.

However there`re lots of "feminist" images of woman in the modern culture of Japan. It`s quite common in anime for instance. Just remember Ayanami Rei, Mononoke, the Sailor Scouts, Motoko Kusanagi from Ghost in the shell movie e.t.c.
>>
File: ss (2014-03-05 at 05.55.13).jpg (119 KB, 1264x832) Image search: [Google]
ss (2014-03-05 at 05.55.13).jpg
119 KB, 1264x832
>>51142823
MAETEL
A
E
T
E
L
>>
>>51144358
rei is anything but feminist

but the mother image is usually the fallback they use for strong women type

a good example is the grandmother in summer wars
>>
GAIGIN is foolish as expected.
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 704x544) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 704x544
>>51142823
very nice observation. i agree tbqh
>>
>>51144610
>rei is anything but feminist
Why not? She has no need anyone to protect her.She protects Shinji herself.
I`d say she`s a fighting beatiful girl type. She`s a "warrior". She even sacrificed herself fighting with the Angerl.
>>
>>51144713
>Racist statement
At this rate explain this shit for us or shut up.
>>
>>51142823
>Thus, the main features of the image of mother is Japan are calmness, reserved personality, gentleness and wisdom.
right, and real women tend to be the other way around as the pole said on the above post you know, which is why lots of those characters have been created for icons of ideal waifu.
>>
>>51144748
>very nice observation. i agree tbqh
Thanks. I`m just interested in the Japanese culture a lot.
>>
>>51144751
>She protects Shinji
>She even sacrificed herself
she is made for the purpose of protecting shinji

she is not a feminist because she follows her commands until the end, twice even

not only does she not become a feminist, she can't
>>
>>51144813
>right, and real women tend to be the other way around as the pole said on the above post you know, which is why lots of those characters have been created for icons of ideal waifu.
Oh thank you for the answer.
>>
File: 1448196680962.png (132 KB, 255x358) Image search: [Google]
1448196680962.png
132 KB, 255x358
>>51144713
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/out-of-japan-mother-love-puts-a-nation-in-the-pouch-1508595.html
>>
>>51144358

Rei is "cthulhu", and is too "other" to be considered oppressed or non-oppressed.

Motoko is "cthulhu" while also being a demon of war and computer hacking.

The Sailor Scouts are basically normal girls.
>>
>>51144878
>>51144952
Ok. Playing a role of a "warrior" have always been a man`s previlige.

The named characters play this role but the`re women. That`s why I partly find `em feminisit-like characters. There`re lots of them in anime. I guess they also don`t have some stereotypical woman features.

>The Sailor Scouts are basically normal girls.
Sure, but until they begin to slash demons.
>>
>>51145195
feminism in anime is not about the role since that's just part of the justification but what makes them do these things like fighting differentiate their feminism-ness

why does usagi/serenity fight, vs sailor venus

why does misato fight vs asuka

fighting itself does not a feminist make
>>
>>51145331
> just part of the justification
Justification of what?

So you don`t agree the named characters are kinda feminists? But they aren`t follow some traditional gender roles after all. Don`t it make them partly feminists? According to the traditional gender roles a woman is a damn housewife and a man is a warrior who protects and watches over a woman.
>>
>>51144878
She literally betrays Gendo at the most crucial moment because she realised he was a shit
>>
>>51142965
another one
>>
>>51145195

It's not just the warrior aspect - and Rei is no warrior, in fact until Mari entered the scene there isn't a single "warrior" mentality character in Evangelion.

It's the fact that both character's main personality traits transcend male/female to a degree that it stops being relevant to discuss such things about them.

On one hand you have a walking eldritch abomination without identity or a stable sense of self - neither femininity nor masculinity comes into play here.

On the other hand you have a battle-monk war-veteran that is also a Chekist more or less. Part of the story is that modern technology and computers finds a "soul mate" in the blood of the battlefield and the cold logic of a national security service - it is as if "Ahriman" from Anthroposophical thought roots around in humanity until it finds Motoko and says "Yes, we can communicate, you I understand."

This happens upon a mound of corpses both male and female, and they are of no consequence to the main process.

As for the Sailor Scouts I'd say they're depicted as absolutely normal girls even in the "demon slaying" mode which mainly serves as an extension to illustrate the relationships between them. Their enemies are mostly the aspects of "dark femininity" but also "deceitful bad men who suck our energy" which is a traditional female enemy.
>>
>>51145797
of their existence

no, roles do not make feminists, what they do with the role and how they rationalize their role do

>>51145841
she gave the power that was meant for gendo and gave it to shinji, her act of sacrifice was still done to fulfill the protection role his mother had, she is still anti-feminist character
>>
>>51145957
That was still decision though. She began the series as NERV's tool and learned to escape from that, unlike Asuka who is willing to die for NERV despite never being as controlled as Rei.
>>
>>51146164
nerv is just the context
but why does the pilot get in and kill aliens and later people

asuka : because i want to prove that i can
rei: because i have to / because i will free myself

asuka uses the eva to give herself the need to be accepted, her inner child says this, this is the feminist role, not because she is fighting but she is fighting to become - trhough her fight she is asuka, the role is subservient to the person

rei is not, even though she fights to be free, anything and everything she does is for another person, ether gendo or shinji, there is no way out of this- her only out is to not fight at all, which she does at the very end, freeing her self but dying as well
>>
>>51143071
>generalise from one example

Kek
>>
>>51145957
>>51145918
>no, roles do not make feminists, what they do with the role and how they rationalize their role do
Got your points guys but don`t agree though.

It`s almost impossible to imagine a woman in such symbolic roles as a warrion, a soldier. There aren`t many examples of this type in the Russian literature, movies or cartoons . That`s probably why they all seem a little bit femenists-like. Guess many Russians would find the named girls femenists-like. That`s because figuratively speaking a woman desn`t have to fight, battle, to protect (excluding her children) e.t.c according to the traditional opinion on the gender issue in Russian.

Hope you understand me correctly. Sorry for shitty English skills.
>>
>>51146389
NERV instilled in Asuka the idea that her only worth as a person is as an Eva pilot. Her desire to prove herself is an example of how NERV has molded her to suit their needs. Because of this she can't take it when someone is a better pilot than her, and dies horribly. She is completely controlled by the men who raised her, so much that her greatest desire is to do their bidding.

Rei was even more controlled than Asuka was, but questions her existence and eventually comes to realise that what she wants is not what Gendo wants, something Asuka never achieves.
>>
>>51146803
>don`t agree
not agree
> issue in Russian.
in Russia

slfx
>>
>>51146803
rationalization of the role is more closer to defining a person than the role itself

so not only does you the viewer decides what is feminism or not, the characters themselves in some way will as well

>>51146803
asuka was down and out after they destroyed her suit but she lives

it is implied that her will to live for herself that frees her from being cannibalized
>>
File: 1445373437984.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
1445373437984.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
>>51144358
I personally think Rei is a critique of a perfect woman, or a perfect mother from a Japanese perspective. She's quite aloof, not quite a mother figure, or a sister figure.

Then again, Eva 01 herself berserking is the ultimate depiction of a mother's instinct to protect her cub/child.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlnVqNoPwBU
>>
>>51147239
>critique of a perfect woman
It is
>>
>>51147180
>rationalization of the role is more closer to defining a person than the role itself
Yeah as I said I got it. You`re talking about motivation, the reasons why a person acts in some way.
In this case in your opinion what motivation would make them feminist characters.
>>
>>51143512
the Japanese tend to keep themselves to the jap general
>>
>>51144751
Rei is a walking plot device, she isn't really feminist, nor she applies to gender roles at all.

>>51145797
I think you are conflating Russian gender roles with Japanese gender roles & pop culture

>>51146803
Impossible in Russia. I don't know much about japanese gender roles but if a girl wants to be an absolute tomboy she can, or at least historically could. Modern japanese girls look to samey to me nowadays.
>>
>>51147635
this
anyone outside the jap generals is either a proxy fag or an english teacher
>>
>>51147904
>Impossible in Russia
Yes, it was about Russia. It doesn`t mean I personally can`t do it though.

>I think you are conflating Russian gender roles with Japanese gender roles & pop culture
I don`t think so. In that post I talked about universal gender roles which all people have in the old ages.
>>
File: white-cat2.jpg (17 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
white-cat2.jpg
17 KB, 300x200
>>51144748
Thanks mumin
>>
>>51142823
This is a Japanese ideal and hope
It should be so...like that
but not found,not exist
>>
>>51148337
So I described this ideal right, didn`t I?
>>
japanese mothers also suck their sons cocks to encourage them to get good grades in school.
>>
>>51148446
that's true
>>
>>51148446
nice
>>
>>51148099
>I don`t think so. In that post I talked about universal gender roles which all people have in the old ages.

Practical impossibility. In it's most basic terms it's true "men -> hunters women -> protectors", but gender roles are tied to the people's culture. You can't compare my country's expectations on women to yours or the USA's, nor to Japan's for that matter.
>>
File: 1406714486623.jpg (6 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1406714486623.jpg
6 KB, 250x250
>>51148446
Your propaganda news says so you smartass?
>>
>>51148446
kek'd
>>
>>51142823
You're right. All these features also found in Enka songs (something like Japanese old-fashioned ballad) Unfortunately, most of Enka's lyricists are male though. In short, those features are nothing but a dream woman.
btw and yet elderly men still tend to belittle their wives in public, how far away from the ideal woman his wife actually is. They would still be chasing their dreams called Yamatonadeshiko. I think it makes no sense to compare an existing character to one who does not exist.
>>
>>51152686
Thank your very much for the information. It definitely useful.
>>
>>51148446
This.
>>
>>51152854
>>51148658
>>51142823
Haхyй иди oтcюдa, япoнoдpoчep.
>>
>>51153106
Ha cocaч, быcтpo, peбёнoк.
>>
>>51153136
Лoлблять. Быть япoнoдpoчepoм и oбвинять кoгo-o в мaлoм вoзpacтe. Пиздeц ты жaлoк.
>>
>>51148409
yeah,you did
>>
File: 53091044_p0.jpg (169 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
53091044_p0.jpg
169 KB, 750x1000
>>
There`s one thing which I forgot to write in the mother`s description. She must talk quietly and have soathing voice which make you feel calmness. Am I right in this point?
>>
File: mysokmil.png (149 KB, 373x252) Image search: [Google]
mysokmil.png
149 KB, 373x252
>>51153808
don't jelly that my mom is a fine milf and has a personality of metel
>>
>>51153808
I think so
Her voice is good to listen
>>
File: 1recd_3.gif (45 KB, 320x317) Image search: [Google]
1recd_3.gif
45 KB, 320x317
>>
>>51154182
Check this out please. I mean someone like this talking about the image of mother. Just take a look how she`s behaving.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcy9XsDj6Nc

!!! from 6 minutes - 26 seconds
>>
>>51154473
you watched many
I never watched this,but this mother also good voice
A voice actor is great
>>
File: image.png (529 KB, 456x900) Image search: [Google]
image.png
529 KB, 456x900
If my mom gave me an old fashion I probably would've had better grades in school 2bh
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.