[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me the secrets of Canberra. I thought Melbourne was Australia's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 430x286) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 430x286
Tell me the secrets of Canberra. I thought Melbourne was Australia's capital until today.
>>
File: Ganberra.png (1 MB, 1366x610) Image search: [Google]
Ganberra.png
1 MB, 1366x610
It's a barren wasteland.
>>
It's a beautiful city. There's a huge amount of space left largely undeveloped, which makes the place feel very lush and unscarred. I actually camped in Canberra for several weeks one time because I didn't want to pay for accommodation. Completely illegal to do that outside of a campground, but nobody ever found me.

The upshot of this is that it's next to impossible to walk anywhere. On top of this, there's no public transport except for a network of buses. There is a tram line project in the works, but it seems to be in limbo. However, there is an extensive network of bike tracks: you can ride practically anywhere, although it's a long way out to the suburbs and there are some killer hills.

The main reason it's a wasteland is that there just aren't that many different sorts of people there. It's a city that exists for the sake of the public service, and it really shows. The politicians don't live there; they fly in and fly out. The university is good, but it's a world unto itself.

Tl;dr it's a city of elves. Not for mortals like you or I.
>>
>>52386440
That road leads to Parliament, btw. Not anywhere interesting unless you're a tourist.
>>
>>52386060
>Burger education

Though I live in Melbourne so I wish it were true.
>>
>average wage of 85,000 AUD
>5% unemployment

Fuuuaark. Sounds like a paradise.
>>
>>52388236
Until you find out how much it costs to live there
>>
>>52388411

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+States&country2=Australia&city1=San+Jose%2C+CA&city2=Canberra&tracking=getDispatchComparison

I compared Canberra to San Jose since San Jose has the highest median income in the country, based on Forbes.

Lol, not only are Australian cities more liveable than American ones, they're cheaper too. And they have free health care on top of that. The country also has a higher median wealth per adult.
>>
>>52388411
houses are only cost a limb in sydney and melb, maybe memecity but it's isolated to those iirc
>>
>>52389335
>free
Shit, I meant universal.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.