[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
As an American who plans on moving to Iceland, I have a few questions.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7
File: 1024px-Flag_of_Iceland.svg.png (5 KB, 1024x737) Image search: [Google]
1024px-Flag_of_Iceland.svg.png
5 KB, 1024x737
As an American who plans on moving to Iceland, I have a few questions.

First of all, what is the public opinion of Americans in your country? I am a 6'0 white guy with blue eyes, so I don't think people will be able to tell just by looking at me.

Is there a nightlife in the Capital?

Is English commonly spoken, and will I have to learn Icelandic?
>>
>>52380614
fuck off they are full
>>
They wont have to check their incest app with you, so you have that atleast
>>
>>52380614
>First of all, what is the public opinion of Americans in your country? I am a 6'0 white guy with blue eyes, so I don't think people will be able to tell just by looking at me.

I meet alot of burger tourists whenever i am there and they are treated good. however there is a big difference between a tourist and someone who wants to live there. If you want to live there uphold every icelandic cultural norm or get the fuck out. srsly.

Even norwegians who move to Iceland must conform and speak the language or be forever cut off from social/work life (wich is fair to be honest)

>Is there a nightlife in the Capital?

Reykjavik is a very cool place. i have had some of my most memorable nights there

>Is English commonly spoken, and will I have to learn Icelandic?

Everyone speaks english just as all the other nordics but if you want to live there permanently you better learn the language or else you will never get a job or be truly "accepted"
>>
File: 1411438947859.jpg (20 KB, 185x182) Image search: [Google]
1411438947859.jpg
20 KB, 185x182
>so I don't think people will be able to tell just by looking at me.
Sure, they'll just think you're big boned.
>>
Its looks like a third world country on google earth. As for nightlife, they have a square with 4 pubs
>>
Icelanders are severely suffering from the effects of 50 generations of cousin marriage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEhKTKrfvSU
>>
>>52380614
Have you ever thought of making this thread 6 hours earlier?
>>
>>52380614
good.

yes there is.

yes.

welcome.
>>
iceland is a polish colony
>>
>>52384658
Poland is a Czech colony.
>>
File: image.jpg (596 KB, 2048x1417) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
596 KB, 2048x1417
>>52380614
their neighborhoods looks comfy
>>
>>52380614
Iceland is actually very insular. We're polite and friendly to strangers, sure, but there's a big barrier between 'acquaintance' and 'friend'. Most friendships are made during school years, too. You can get by speaking nothing but english, but learning the language will greatly help you socialize. There's plenty of nightlife in the capital nowadays, but most of it consists of getting drunk and throwing up on people's shoes.

The best way to break into Icelandic society is to get married, or at least get into a relationship with somebody Icelandic. Family members should never be strangers, after all, and you'll get to know their friends too.
>>
>>52384850
>getting drunk and throwing up on people's shoes.

sounds like a good time I might have to visit
>>
File: shiggy komander.jpg (59 KB, 960x600) Image search: [Google]
shiggy komander.jpg
59 KB, 960x600
>>52384794
>that
>comfy
>>
>>52380614
>Is English commonly spoken, and will I have to learn Icelandic?
what kind of moron wants to move to a country without learning the language
>>
>>52385050
All Americans and Russians.
>>
>>52385110
>All Americans and Russians.
>All
H-hey... Not fair.
>>
>>52385050
Icelandic is in danger of going extinct in favor of English so its actually a pretty good question considering its Iceland, even though I doubt thats why the question was asked.
>>
>>52385310
dont let the non-white get to you.
Im sure most people understand youre willing to learn icelandic if youre going to move there.
>>
>>52385110
Not true. Americans don't even travel much less move.
>>
>>52383386
>If you want to live there uphold every icelandic cultural norm or get the fuck out. srsly.
how weak of you
>>
>>52386623

Eskimo
>>
>do I need to learn the language of the country im moving to?

Americans
>>
>I am a 6'0 white guy with blue eyes

I don't thing they will judge you by your circumference.
>>
>>52386760
"Inuit" is more accurate

>>52380614
This is either some top-tier bait, or you genuinely are a spastic retarded burgerclap. The glorious part is that, since this is an Amerifat post, I genuinely have no idea which one it is.
>>
File: 1358057027532.gif (491 KB, 500x290) Image search: [Google]
1358057027532.gif
491 KB, 500x290
>>52387264
n o i c e
>>
>plans on moving to Iceland
>will I have to learn Icelandic

You americans surprise me every day.
>>
File: icelandic.jpg (51 KB, 1173x414) Image search: [Google]
icelandic.jpg
51 KB, 1173x414
Icelandic is one of the most irregular languages out there. If you don't have experience learning languages, you'll have an EXTREMELY hard time.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.