[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How accurate are US college movies to life and culture in actual
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 10
File: college.jpg (142 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
college.jpg
142 KB, 720x480
How accurate are US college movies to life and culture in actual US colleges?

Here our universities are just boring academic institutions and we don't have frats or frat parties or "Uni pride" or big uni sporting events or anything like that and dorms are typically just shoebox sized rooms that can barely even fit a desk and a bed generally filled with Chinese students. Is that largely the same with the US?

Also to add, what is American high school culture like? Similar to films as well?
>>
>>52210828
>How accurate are US college movies to life and culture in actual US colleges?
Somewhat.
They're mostly accurate for girls. I hardly knew/know a single girl who went to college or is going to college that hasn't met a quota of at least a dozen dicks in her 2-4 years, if not way more.
Even the formerly nerdy/shut in/loser ones from HS manage to get around.
Not that I have much choice, but I don't think I'd ever consider marrying a girl if she went to college for even a year desu.

Most guys, if they were losers/shut ins in HS, will stay that way in college.

>Also to add, what is American high school culture like? Similar to films as well?
Somewhat accurate, but not nearly as exaggerated as films.
>>
>>52210887
Forgot to mention, pretty much every college girl has one "whore story," basically one night where they went out and went buck wild.

I had a GF who was hanging out with her older sister and all her college friends playing "Never Have I Ever" and literally every chick there (15+) had at least a few one night stands, and most had at least one gangbang/IR story.
>>
I feel like I have a fairly unique case, as I am a tall, white, decently attractive male that lives next to the beach in Southern California. I am the type of person that inhabits movies about college live.

In highschool, half of the kids would skateboard to school. We had a championship surfing club, the beach was a few minutes away and it was common to just hang out at the idyllic SoCal beach for a few hours after class.

There were frequent parties, people would smoke weed at school with little repercussion. We had a football stadium similar to what a university would have, 4 soccer/baseball fields, a farm/agricultural centre, a pool, an olympic track + field setup, 4 full sized basketball courts outdoors, and a covered sports stadium. two separate student parking lots. Autoshop, electrician shop, woodshop, ceramics, photography studio, 3 computer labs that hosted web design courses to start your own business.

Also had a grill that would make food to order in front of you, literally 3 grills that were 5x2ft manned by mexican ladies to make you burgers/burritos

3 story science building equipped with a dozen chem/physics labs in addition to regular computer labs and standard classrooms

the level of wealth at my old highschool was unreal. I seriously didn't realize how insane it was before reading highschool stories from others on /int/.

post 1 of ?
>>
>>52211183
post 2 of ?

bonfires are huge in SoCal

basically you show up to the beach and start a gigantic fire in a little pit near the sand

you grill up a bunch of carne asada (that means meat steak in beanspeak), socialize, surf/swim, drink arizona iced tea, drink/smoke weed, and hang out for a few hours. it's magical, especially if you are near a pier. there are always a bunch of grizzled surfer dudes fishing off the pier, pulling up rays or baby sharks or other neat stuff

as far as college goes, community colleges are some of the best in the country. due to all of the world class unis in SoCal, a lot of local professors have to either full time at community colleges, or bounch between community and uni since they cant get tenured.

what that means is that when I went to community college, half of the professors i took for into classes at $47/unit were teaching upper division classes at my uni the next day, meaning i got a uni education for $47/unit because most were too busy to alter the lesson plan that much

my community college had a TON of international students due to this, so it was easy to meet people from all over the world, from which I met my wife.

the community college was also minutes from the beach and it was common to find half the people from your class hanging out there when things were done for the day

cont.
>>
>>52211307
post 3 of ?

you honestly take it for granted being a tall attractive white man in SoCal

its better than 99.99% of people in the world and the decadence and luxury is absolutely ridiculous.

i got pulled over by the cops one time, they saw my weed, and they took a hit then told me to be safe, no bullshit

you can drive to SD or LA in an hour or two and be in a global hub, or you can walk to the beach and experience something that a fraction of a fraction of a percent will ever see

we would ride our skateboards for hours after school, or ride bikes along the coast drinking arizona in wifebeaters+rays (that's a sleeveless crewneck and ray bans sunglasses for the inept)

after moving from SoCal it seems surreal. there is a reason the wealthy live there, and the movies are made about it

SoCal is unlike anywhere else in the world, the entire area exudes chill

I remember one day I helped dock the tail of a baby lamb, ate an avocado from my friend's avocado tree for lunch with carne asada cooked fresh, worked out in the school weight room for an hour after school, walked to the beach, got a hit from a party on the beach, fished with a beach bum with free gear since the bait shop owner was the janitor of the school, then carried some fish in a bag of ice to my bike and rode home with the lamb tail tied to my handlebars

so yes, my experience growing up in SoCal was similar to the movies

partying in huge in america if you are white and attractive, and live in SoCal
>>
One of the biggest differences with US Unis are you generally live on campus and you move out from where you originally live.

Most people in Australia go to their local Uni or if they do move out, just move into a share house in the burbs somewhere.

American Uni's are really a transition period from childhood to adult hood through shock therapy where Australian Uni's are largely just extended high schools you will still go home, eat with your family, hang out with your high school friends and make no friends at Uni.

That being said, Australian uni education tends to be much more specialized while US uni's provide much more of a wider general education.
>>
I went to a frat party for the first time this summer and went again this break (my uni does have frats). How any one can party that hard and pass is beyond me. Especially when a 'mild night kicking back and drinking with bros' is back to back shots. It's cool, but not for me. Anyway it was 100% the shit I saw in movies
>>
>>52211713
My uni doesn't have frats I mean
>>
Only college movie that was even somewhat accurate is PCU. Just remove all the sex, humor and partying and you're left with the reality of US college life
>>
>>52210828
>Here our universities are just boring academic institutions and we don't have frats or frat parties or "Uni pride" or big uni sporting events or anything like that and dorms are typically just shoebox sized rooms that can barely even fit a desk and a bed generally filled with Chinese students

confirmed for being a day rat
>>
>>52210828
That's because you guys have like 10 unis total, and they're all in either Sydney or Melbourne. That kind of stuff is actually quite common at small(er) schools that are in small (population < 100K) cities, especially in cities where there's a big uni, but nothing else (there's a term for that; college town, and there are many publications about which college town is the best, as many people want the experience). In schools similar to yours, (i.e. Columbia, UC Berkeley) it's mainly an academic experience, which could be attributed to the fact that in more urban environments, there are things to do besides get drunk six days a week, and go to football games. Urban ones of course, also give you small dorms that are almost always shared, as you can imagine. Having said that, uni pride and sporting events, even at said urban ones is a thing, and while not a defining experience, like it is in the ones I described earlier (Columbia's football stadium (pic related) has a capacity of 17K, while 29K students attend, while usually in the other ones, you can fit the entire student body and then some into the stadiums) it is still there, and a large number of students do participate. Yale and Harvard, two of the best schools in the world, both in urban environments have an annual football game that attracts 60K or so students, thanks to their rivalry, which ties into the uni pride. It's just a thing here. We do the same thing at the high school level though, which I'm not sure if you guys do there, which could explain some things. (Also, college athletics are much more fun to watch here, as it's a requirement for most of the major league sports that a player can only be recruited if they went to uni, so they'll usually get bullshit degrees and spent most of their time training, and playing the game. College sports are more popular than minor league sports, here.)
>>
College is what you make it. You can party and do the usual stuff or you can never do anything
>>
>>52211485
Where in socal did you live
Also why did you leave
>>
>>52211653
I think that's partially why it's so much more expensive here

In the US, universities are often billed as an experience but elsewhere I think they are more focused

Schools in the US spend massive amounts of money on shit like student centers. I can go to a psychological counselor 24/7. We have large funding for student activities, counseling etc.
>>
>>52211838
between LA and SD

too expensive and i wanted to start a family
>>
>>52211910
Where do you live now anon?
Also do you ever come back?
I live between san bernardino and LA, wish I lived in Torrance desu
>>
>>52211713
Honestly American party culture looks shit.
Crap music, crap culture, blatantly copying films.

Here in Australia, we get giant sound systems, take them out into the bush, dump a fucktonne of acid into our systems and party to psytrance.

If there is one thing Australia has on the US is our alt-music culture and party scenes, I say this from someone who has gone to parties extensively in both countries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NxOhIn-YeM
>>
yep JUSt like the films you got it bro
>>
>>52211983
yep every party is just like frat parties there is no rave scene in the US
>>
>>52211983
You went to some shit parties in the US then 2bh
>>
>>52211983
>Here in Australia, we get giant sound systems, take them out into the bush, dump a fucktonne of acid into our systems and party to psytrance.

you can do the same thing here, you just have to know where to look

personally i don't like doing drugs in the woods anymore because i'm past the age of 18
>>
File: 1448784263396.png (339 KB, 360x840) Image search: [Google]
1448784263396.png
339 KB, 360x840
I'm in a frat at one of the premier party schools in the country, ask me anything
>>
>>52211961
northern AZ

only for holidays, flying back in a few days

>>52211983
>partying with a bunch of random retards in the middle of the desert
sounds great family, i'll stick to my 5-10 friends hanging out at the beach surfing and eating fresh street tacos without a fear of being stung by a giant dickfish spider
>>
File: hqdefault_2.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault_2.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
>>52211983
>Go to burning man
>all shitty EDM trouse shit

Music at Burning Man was the biggest letdown.
>>
>>52212074
on average how many freshmen girls do the guys in your frat get blind drunk and run a train on each week?
>>
>>52212095

Trains rarely occur, but I know of a number of occurrences of freshman girls getting effiel towered. Also, being in a frat at some school is a guaranteed ticket to getting laid. Girls get disgustingly sluttly of attention
>>
>>52212090
burning man is a mainstream tourist trap kek
>>
File: polytech.jpg (123 KB, 1134x1134) Image search: [Google]
polytech.jpg
123 KB, 1134x1134
I wouldn't know for American colleges but here in Belgium there's a big college culture that varies from town to town. It's nothing like American colleges however, and it's more about traditional songs, rituals, hazing etc.

In some colleges things can get pretty hardcore with hazing going very far. It's all a ritual however, and it's not hurting for hurting. There's a 'philosophical' message behind it, at least in Brussels.

The Brussels University where I study has a pretty cool folklore, it's based on freemasonry and is secret loving, beyond all that's not secret like societies and stuff. Remnants of the freemason heritage, there are triangles everywhere, even in the buildings, among other masonic symbols. Here is the Polytechnique Society logo as an example.

We're the only uni that has a masonic heritage. Most others are catholic and wear a calot. We on the "contrary" where some other hat (penne).

I know in France they have traditions like this too, with the faluche, or in Italy with the falucca, or in Spain with the tuna, or in Switzerland or Poland or Germany even though in Germany the Burschenschaften turned a bit awry with time.

All our traditions date back from the 1850. A lot happened to the Germans since then. And even though American and Belgian college cultures were very much alike back then, a lot changed!
>>
File: fat-people-4.jpg (20 KB, 312x400) Image search: [Google]
fat-people-4.jpg
20 KB, 312x400
>US people
>>
File: cercle de droit 3.jpg (12 KB, 300x258) Image search: [Google]
cercle de droit 3.jpg
12 KB, 300x258
>>52212187
Law Society.

I forgot to say the secret side of our folklore is mainly about secret orders that have a ritual similar to the freemason one. They really do also act like a conspiracy in daily college life activities
>>
>>52212187
my polisci prof would always use belgium in his examples of forcing other countries to do what you want trough various policies and stancing, because its not like belgium can do anything about it

just wanted you to know that you are a meme country
>>
File: IEVMZAUNMAJDSOU.20081013222358.jpg (28 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
IEVMZAUNMAJDSOU.20081013222358.jpg
28 KB, 400x266
>>52210828
>>52211798
High school is much more of a mixed bag. While college can usually be covered by a large blanket, high school changes drastically depending on not just if you live in an urban, suburban, or rural environment, it also varies by state, and even individual cities. I moved around a lot during my high school years, so I've seen many different types, and I can tell you that the stereotypical kind do exist, but at least in my personal experience, it's hard to find a spot on representation, unlike for college where it's quite easy. In suburban schools, they're usually similar, but there's generally a lot more drugs involved (weed, cocaine, depending on how much money your parents make), and there's no 'whoa, chad joined the chess team so it's cool now, guess I'm gonna stop picking on those nerds' (although there was one school where when I said I did robotics, nobody cared, and then chad (this is an actual term by the way, don't think I'm from /r9k/ and bitter, I had friends; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_(slang)) joined, and suddenly a bunch of hot girls were into robotics and robots were 'so cool'. The point I'm trying to make is that if you're in the chess club, you're not made fun of for being in the chess club, you're made fun of because you're an ugly, antisocial nerd, being or not being in chess doesn't change that). Having said that, that's from my experience in the north. I'm sure it's different in the south.

Oh, and here's the pic from the last post.
>>
>>52212187
See, in the US hazing is mostly meant to build a shared experience though what many consider a mild form of torture. It's definitely builds a bond between the brothers, and some of the methods date back to the mid 19th century
>>
people at my Uni burn couches on the street
>>
>>52211183
Was it a public school?
>>
File: sb.jpg (73 KB, 640x429) Image search: [Google]
sb.jpg
73 KB, 640x429
don't know about other colleges, but parties at UC Santa Barbara were even crazier than usually depicted in movies. halloween especially. there's an entire town called isla vista right next to campus, and literally the whole town turned into one big costume party where you could go house to house and drink / do drugs / party. it helps that the campus is right next to the beach
>>
File: elliot-rodger.jpg (261 KB, 600x502) Image search: [Google]
elliot-rodger.jpg
261 KB, 600x502
>>52212510
>isla vista
>>
File: 1449905712496.jpg (84 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1449905712496.jpg
84 KB, 900x900
>>52212510
Got toned down a lot since Rodge and the ton of stabbings at Deltopia
>>
>>52212574
yea, i went during the 2000s, don't know how IV is like now. i just remember UCSB being paradise on earth
>>
>>52211485
>>52211307
>>52211183
I enjoyed this read. But I have to say, while it does sound like a unique and privileged (not in the SJW sense of the word, mind) experience, it is perhaps not as much as you think, both from a socio-economic and cultural point.
Not many will go to the beach to light a bonfire after school, yes, but they have other everyday traditions that in turn are unique to the place. For example a Japanese might hang out at their shinto shrine or their cultural club. A Swiss might go down the local lake (we have tons of lakes) or river and grill with their friends (we have a big summertime grilling culture).

As for economics, many will be to poor for what you described, but it's not like if you are poor you are automatically condemned to a cold, sterile North Korea-tier school day-to-day life.
>>
>>52212631
Yeah last year there was a general riot and some folks got stabbed

They have these gay monitoring systems now that record video and audio of the streets, they've been used for the riots and the like

What did you study? I'm doing chemical engineering here
>>
>>52212670
>cold, sterile North Korea-tier school day-to-day life
people at my school burn rubbish in winter to stay warm. Fuck you OP.
>>
>>52212678
just did general lower div stuff for two years, then had to transfer to cal state because of shit grades
>>
High school is actually very boring. The house parties are way lamer than in the movies.

>inb4 you went to bad parties

I went to parties hosted by what was essentially the upper crust of my shitty high school. Every single one was essentially a bunch of teenagers sitting around consuming drugs/booze with shitty music playing and some people fucking.
>>
>>52212776
That sounds like middle school parties

You lived in a shit area
>>
>>52212776
Sounds like you went to a shitty high school. I went to a private school full of rich fucks and they would blow their insane allowances on great parties every friday.
>>
>>52210828
Pretty accurate

I don't like parties much but my university is a huge football school
It's fun to get swept up in that hysteria of school spirit
>>
What the fuck is a frat?
>>
>>52210828
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cl-f8NABMM
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.