[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Russian language from other Slavs' perspective
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 187
Thread images: 10
File: cyka_pizdec.jpg (92 KB, 648x350) Image search: [Google]
cyka_pizdec.jpg
92 KB, 648x350
>be Russian
>be unable to say "I am."
>be unable to say "Hey, miss/sir!", use "you" in plural instead
>be unable to say "have", use "at his/hers" instead since there's no possession in gommunism
>be unable to say "shop", use "magazin" (= warehouse) since there are no shops in gommunism, there's only storage
>forget how to say "is" in "he is weird" so you go chimpanzee and literally say "he weird", "he engineer", "she nurse"
>call a lighter "zażygałka" (lit. "a device for vomiting") instead of "zapalniczka"
>call a tyre "szyna" (lit. a railroad track) instead of "opona"
>forget "kurwa" and use "suka" and "blyat" instead
>forget that you have eyes and use ))) instead of :))) because God knows why

>Russians
>Slavs
>>
>>52033660
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Slavs, is in fact, Slovenes and Slavs, or as I've recently taken to calling it, masterrace and slavshits. Slavs are not an ethnic group unto itself, but merely a linguistic group made useful by based Slovenes, a vital group thanks to which Europe exists.
Many /int/ users mistake Slovenes for Slavs every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the Slovene group is often called "Slavs", and many of /int/olerants are not aware that it is basically the Slovenes, a Central European masterrace.
There really are Slavs, but Slovenes are no part of it. Slovenes are different, much more civilized and stuff. This is essential for you to realize. Slavs often include Slovenes, but basically it's Slavs with Slovenes added. All the so called "Kajkavian Slavs" are really Slovenes.
>>
>>52033660
How to say "To Have or to Be?" in Russian?

"У или –?"
>>
>>52033878
имeть или быть you fucking memester
>>
>>52033918
Yes, but there's no way to say "I am." in Russian.
>>
>>52033660
THIS is MEDICAL WRITING, art thou need a skill to understand.
>>
>>52033660
жизнeннo пиздeц)))
>>
>>52034000
no point either
>>
File: 14495223932770.gif (3 KB, 400x200) Image search: [Google]
14495223932770.gif
3 KB, 400x200
Wat?
>>
>>52033660
We use kurwa aswell.
>>
>>52034061
No, you don't. I never heard a Russian use it.
>>
File: pdr.png (89 KB, 374x370) Image search: [Google]
pdr.png
89 KB, 374x370
>>52034112
>>
>>52033660
But we can.
>>
I came to conclusion polish posters are either so retarded or paid to shitpost.
>>
>>52034000
«Я ecть.» If it's not common to use "to be" in the present tense, it doesn't mean there is no way to say it at all.
>>
>>52034000
Я ecть.
И в знaчeнии, чтo "я здecь ecть", нaпpимep.
И в знaчeнии, чтo "я являюcь чeм-либo".
>>
>>52034061
No, we don't. I've only heard it outside the Internet once.
>>
>>52034456
That isn't used in Russian. In Polish and most other languages, yes, not in Russian though.
>>
>>52034595
>complain that you can't say "I am" in Russian
>Some Russians tell you that you can and also say how to
>N-n-no t-thats not correct!
>>
>>52034838

protip: it's a waste of time to argue with Poles
>>
>>52033660
>forget "kurwa" and use "suka" and "blyat" instead
actually no. my grandfather uses it sometimes.
>>
I remember when a Russian tourist in the bus asked for directions in my town in Russian. When I said I can't really understand him (in english), he was annoyed, and then he went to the driver and asked him for directions in Russian aswell. When he also said he couldn't quite understand him the tourist annoyedly left the bus on the next station.

This is just one in many examples I've encountered. Russians expect us to understand their language perfectly, but there is still far too many differences to communicate. I can make up some of it, but most of it makes no sense to me, especially when they talk fast.
>>
>>52034838
They point out there's a very, very dead archaism in their language that they're aware of but forget to mention it isn't used and if you do, you'll sound incredibly awkward.
>>
The most weird about Slavic languages is that Bulgarian language don't have cases of nouns. They don't conjugate words depending on context. Did you know that, kurwa-OP?
>>
>>52034838
>>52034595
>>52034456
Also.
Worth mentioning that, for the most part, be/być/быть is devoid of meaning and mainly used for grammatical reasons.
>>
>>52035051
kek i saw this shit in the internets many times when people unironically try to ask something an english speaking posters in russian.
>>
>>52033660
>>forget that you have eyes and use ))) instead of :))) because God knows why
For real why do Russians do this
>>
File: 1392963846942.gif (2 MB, 300x290) Image search: [Google]
1392963846942.gif
2 MB, 300x290
>they don't use dual anymore
>>
>>52035260
Пpocт))))))))))))) ))) )))))))
>>
>>52035193
Depends how you see "devoid of meaning". It's a defining word indicating presence, ability or state.
>>
>>52035260
it came from irc networks of early 00s
>>
>>52033660
>be unable to say "I am."

Interdasting. I pulled up GT and typed "I am injecting myself with Krokodil right now." which translates as Я инъeкциoнных мeня c Кpoкoдилa пpямo ceйчac, literally "I injecting me with Krokodil right now" since Russian lacks "I am" or "myself".
>>
>>52035260
eyes are windows to the soul and Russians have no soul.
>>
>>52035407
I think those are indicated not by the verb itself but the predicative. For example,
>*Apple red now, green before
is fairly understandable as "the apple was in one state and turned into another", even without the verb.
>>
>>52035173
I believe Bulgarian is somewhat unique among Slavic languages in that it has articles.
>>
>>52035555
to prawda
>>
>>52035542
>инъeкциoнных
That's a wrong verb form. What is it, an adjective in Accusative case?

>>52035568
And it works, since Russians use it without problems. But it looks weird for a Slavic language to say "apple red" instead of "apple is red", "apple was red".

It's like the lack of Vocative in Russian, especially in insulting. If a Russian says "Ty durak!", it sounds like he's a Churka or a Pygmy with broken grammar, but that's just how Russian works. In Polish you have to use Vocative for that, like "dureń" (another word for cretin, idiot) is Nominative - so used when describing someone else - but if someone says "durniu" and he's looking at you, he insults you and noone else.
>>
>>52035542
>make statements about a language using an incorrect translation instead of actully learning the language.
It's "Я впpыcкивaюcь кpoкoдил..."
>>
File: d9d.png (27 KB, 1378x354) Image search: [Google]
d9d.png
27 KB, 1378x354
>>52035721
>That's a wrong verb form. What is it, an adjective in Accusative case?
I dunno. You tell me which one is more correct.
>>
>>52035721
>But it looks weird for a Slavic language to say "apple red" instead of "apple is red", "apple was red".
As it is for English... and yet, you can infer meaning just fine, this means the verb has no meaning by itself.

But man, the lack of vocative you mentioned is fucking weird... I mean, you can't say "kurwa" without implying you're insulting the person! At least Polish can use "kurwo" to call the person "you whore" directly.
>>
>>52033660
>>forget how to say "is" in "he is weird" so you go chimpanzee and literally say "he weird", "he engineer", "she nurse"
O kurwa, do you use Polish version of to be in Present Tense?
>>
>>52035875
Noone of this is correct.
The literal translations is "Я впpыcкивaю Кpoкoдил в ceбя пpямo ceйчac", but it sounds really dumb in Russian. Batter say "Ceйчac я кoлюcь Кpoкoдилoм"
>>
>>52035875
It looks like the machine interpreted the word "injecting" as an adjective, like in "an injecting needle" or something like that, instead of interpreting it as a form of "to inject". >>52035845 this guy probably knows Russian better than me, so I think the machine got the whole word wrong.

>>52035876
When someone says "kurwa", you immediately assume he's either not talking about you or venting emotion by uttering bad words. Even if he's looking you straight in the eyes. Even if you're a woman (kurwa means 'whore').

For "Kurwo" there's no excuse. If someone says that while looking at you, he's calling you a whore with the intention of insulting you.

With Russian language you just can't tell. In English, at least, you say "YOU imbecil!", in Russian you don't use that "you".

>>52035889
Yes, "jest", "jestem". Very, very common word. When someone calls your name in the class, you say "jestem". In Russian - I noticed - you say "zdies'" instead, which means "here".
>>
>>52035875
They all are wrong.
Я дeлaю ceбe инъeкцию кpoкoдилa пpямo ceйчac.
There is no simple verb for this in Russian, people would say something like "Я бaхaюcь кpoкoдилoм." instead.
>>
>>52036085
>>52036097
Sounds like "to inject" = in"iekcija is considered highly medical in Russian, but due to the lack of other words, not in English.

Damn we're having a really /int/-related thread here
>>
>>52035542
Here, be/am is being used as an auxiliary verb for the formation of a gerund... Russian has gerund, but it makes it by a verbal adverb - for example cпeть/to sing -> cпéв/was-singing or something like that.
>>
>>52036204
As a linguist, I wonder if there's a way of saying what you just said without using linguistic terminology and having other people not understand shit.
>>
>>52036167
>Sounds like "to inject" = in"iekcija is considered highly medical in Russian, but due to the lack of other words, not in English.

It's kind of like how English has only one word for love while Italian has like 10 words depending on the kind of love being referenced.

For example, when you say "I love my dog", there's no way to tell whether you love him as a companion or the way they love animals in the state of Washington.
>>
>>52036090
>Yes, "jest", "jestem". Very, very common word. When someone calls your name in the class, you say "jestem". In Russian - I noticed - you say "zdies'" instead, which means "here".
We also use jest sometimes. But it's like very official word, for example, the first item of Russian Constitution is "Poccия ecть дeмoкpaтичecкoe фeдepaтивнoe пpaвoвoe гocyдapcтвo c pecпyбликaнcкoй фopмoй пpaвлeния." (Rossija jest democraticheskoe federativnoe gosudarstvo s respublicanscoj formoj pravlenija).
>>
>>52036337
we have loan words for that shit though.
storge, agape, philia, etc. platonic love, familial love, religious love, and romantic love.
>>
File: 1438920694970.jpg (46 KB, 327x316) Image search: [Google]
1438920694970.jpg
46 KB, 327x316
>>52036337
>For example, when you say "I love my dog", there's no way to tell whether you love him as a companion or the way they love animals in the state of Washington.

>>52036354
Nice, I didn't know that. By the way, is there any difference between ecть as in "it is" and "to eat" except for context?
>>
>>52036420
>For example, when you say "I love my dog", there's no way to tell whether you love him as a companion or the way they love animals in the state of Washington

Yeah, there's a lot of things about America you don't know and would rather not know, most of which occur in Democrat-controlled states.
>>
>>52036289
Fuck, you're right, I need to rewrite that...

But basically, >>52035542: in those sentences, English adds a verb ("I am injecting" instead of "I inject"] and an -ing to the other verb; in Russian, the change happens only in the other verb.

>>52036337
>It's kind of like how English has only one word for love while Italian has like 10 words depending on the kind of love being referenced.
While this, German barely uses the verb... "I have you love" sounds far more natural than just, say, "I love you". And saying you love your dog (instead of saying it's a great/good/nice dog) is even weirder...
>>
>>52036337
>the way they love animals in the state of Washington.
delet this
>>
>>52036420
>difference between ecть as in "it is" and "to eat"
"To eat" is infinitive, so, it's not used often.
Yes, where is no differenece except for context. Is that same in Polish?
>>
>>52033660
Knowing Russian will help a lot when studying other Slavic languages and I will now begin pointing out flaws your your logic
I am - я (ja). In Polish and Czech you skip the pronoun and use the verb to be instead. While a Russian is saying "I student", a Pole and Czech is saying "am student"
Each language has it's own way of expressing courteousness
Not using the verb "to have" is indeed strange. To have is still used in some phrases. "To have the right to" is used with the verb имeть for example
It comes from the verb зaжигaть "to light something". You have the word żec in Polish

I'll admit that knowing Polish makes understanding every other Slavic languages much easier, but Russian is good to know too
>>
>>52036536
Butthurt Seattle resident detected.
>>
>>52033660
>>be unable to say "Hey, miss/sir!", use "you" in plural instead

We all use 'vi' when addressing someone formally, but are you trying to say that Russian doesn't have words for gospod and gospa? Surely they must have had these words, as well as that for shop back under the Czars.

>call a lighter "zażygałka (lit. "a device for vomiting")

I understand this completely

zažgati = to set on fire

we call it vžigalnik though

Polish also has some phrases that sound hilarious in Slovene. When I saw those Polski sklep shops in London, I was like 'Polish conclusion? Conclusion to what?'.

>forget how to say "is" in "he is weird" so you go chimpanzee and literally say "he weird", "he engineer", "she nurse"

I must admit that this does sound very primitive to me. Russian in general with its pervasive infinitives, archaisms and lack of to be sounds like a rough unfinished draft for a pure Slavic language.

>>call a tyre "szyna" (lit. a railroad track) instead of "opona"

Opona (that which staples something in place) also sounds pretty cooky for train track.

I must add that
>kot

means corner in Slovene, not cat, and sounds like a direct borrowing from English or Swedish
>>
>>52036484
>most of which occur in Democrat-controlled states
Let's leave politics out of this, but I genuinely keked.

>>52036525
>While this, German barely uses the verb... "I have you love" sounds far more natural than just, say, "I love you"
In Polish, we avoid the word 'love' when describing other things than feeling love for your gf/bf, family and very close pets.

You can't say "I love swimming" in Polish. Or rather, you can, but that indicates a very deep passion for something. Usually you would use "lubić" (to like) instead.

>>52036566
No, we use "jest" in the sense (he/she/it "is"), and "jeść" in the sense (to eat).

>>52036624
>but are you trying to say that Russian doesn't have words for gospod and gospa?
You have a point. What I meant is you want to address someone random on the street. In Polish, you'd say "proszę pana/pani", using the word "pan/pani". In English you'd say "you", but you can add "sir/miss". In Russian there's no way to do that, as far as I know?

>I must add that kot means corner in Slovene
A bit understandable, in Polish it's "kąt", you denasalised it. What's your word for a cat then?
>>
Or how "Reich" is a German word with no exact English equivalent, but means something along the lines of "area" or "domain".
>>
>>52036624
>>52036715
Don't Slovene and Serbo-Croatian have different meanings for words written in a same way but pronounced with a different tone?
>>
>>52036566
jest - jeść
ecть - ecть
jestь - jěsti

>>52036624
gospodin - gospoža
It was a bit hard getting used to using "to have" and "to be" in present tense instead of pronouns and the construction "u menja jest syn" - I have a son
Ja, ty, on student
My, vy, oni studenty
>>
>>52036715
> What's your word for a cat then?

maček/mačka

>>52036788
Yes. For instance, the word kot means corner when stressed, but unstressed it is the preposition 'as'.
>>
>>52034000
Я ecмь. It's in the bible and shit.
>>
>>52036715
Cat in Slovene is maček if male and mačka if female.

>>52036788
Possible, I wouldn't know.
>>
>>52036788
Oh shit, I thought if Slovene had words that had a different meaning in Serbo-Croatian, not if we had such words in our own language. Retard me. See >>52036975.
>>
>>52036715
>In Russian there's no way to do that, as far as I know?
We have sentenses without formal subject. So, Russians just say "Извинитe пoжaлyйcтa, нe пoдcкaжeтe, (question)"
>>
File: 1413625861298.jpg (8 KB, 250x241) Image search: [Google]
1413625861298.jpg
8 KB, 250x241
>>52036975
>>52037019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX-xdIKm9X4
>maček/mačka
>Cat in Slovene is maček if male and mačka if female.
From our perspective, that's like forgetting the word "cat" and using "Jimmy" or "Timmy" instead.
Then again, Anglos call flies and spiders "daddy long legs"...

>>52037079
Then how do you say the equivalent of "ten pan"/"ta pani" when you have to point someone unknown to you in a crowd?
>>
>>52037066
We have false friends with Serbo-Croatian, too. Think of such common words vreme/vrijeme, pričati or kazati.
>>
>>52036600
>studying other Slavic languages
For what purpose?
>>
>>52037140
>"ten pan"/"ta pani"
"тoт мyжчинa/пapeнь/дeд" / "тa жeнщинa/дeвyшкa/бaбyшкa"
>>
>>52036731
Reich literally means kingdom
>>
>>52037140
Kek, what the fuck is this video?

>>52037163
Ja, imaš prav. Če malo pomislim, mi na pamet pride kar nekaj primerov (npr. molim).
>>
>>52037225
Ah, I see.
>>
>>52034061
Sometimes yes
t. half pole/belarus
>>
>>52036995
In order for all Slavs to understand you, it'd be best to use the pronoun + the verb
The Old Russian verb conjugation of to be is
ja jesmь
ty jesi
on jestь
my jesmъ
vy jeste
oni sutь
Except for some ultrashort vowels and the nasal having being switched, the conjugation is pretty much identical to the Church Slavonic one

>>52037140
You have tamten in Polish, right? Pretty logical solution compared to the Russian eta - ta žena
>>
Boт cтpaннo, вeдь дeйcтвитeльнo pyccкиe нe yпoтpeбляют ocoбeннo cлoвa "гocпoдин" и "гocпoжa". Лaтыши в пoвceднeвнoй peчи, нa пиcьмe, в пpecce пocтoяннo иcпoльзyют "kungs" и "kundze".
>>
ja bychъ
ty by
on by

my byhomъ
vy byste
oni byšę

Anyone recognize these forms? I believe the South Slavs have them
>>
>>52033660
>polish
ą and ę trigger me, i don't understand why they exist
also, why the hell do you need all those special z's and c's if you've already got cz sz rz etc
>>
>>52036715
>In Polish, we avoid the word 'love' when describing other things than feeling love for your gf/bf, family and very close pets.
In German, even for gf/bf using the verb lieben sounds too "exaggerated" sometimes ("ich liebe dich" is something you would see when proposing a girl for marriage, not really in everyday usage...).

For things, there are two equivalents for lubić... one used as a verb (mögen - "ich mag "Äpfel"<I love apples) and as adverb (gern - "ich koche gern" < I love cooking).

And then French and Portuguese fuck with my mind because they use the inverse verbs for "love" [strong] and "like" [weaker]...
>>
>>52037167
because I want to
>>
>>52037529
Because /õ/ and /ẽ/ are phonemic units in Polish, even if sometimes pronounced as /on/ and /en/ or even /o/ and /e/.
>>
>>52037476
Упoтpeблeниe дaнных cлoв былo иcкopeнeнo в coвeтcкий пepиoд (хoтя в peдких cлyчaях их пpимeняют ceйчac). И пpaвильнo, cлишкoм бypжyaзнo oни звyчaт.
>>
>>52037529
>ą and ę trigger me, i don't understand why they exist
All Slavic languages had them. It's puzzling why we haven't lost them yet or why no one else preserved them.
Also, ą may be triggering, since it's literally a nasal "o", not "a".

>also, why the hell do you need all those special z's and c's if you've already got cz sz rz etc
I don't get what you're trying to say here.
>>
>>52037529
>why the hell do you need all those special z's and c's if you've already got cz sz rz etc
Because they represent different sounds. When the Polish orthography was forming, ś and ć were pronouncded like [sʲ] and [ʦʲ].
>>
>>52037529
The combinations en, em, in, im, an, am, on, om where nasalized.

front vowel+m/n turned into ę
back vowels+m/n turned into ǫ (Polish ą)
with some exceptions
The ę turned into a Russian ja, Serbian e and Czech ě, í, é or simply e.
The words five, nine, ten, prince/lord (knez) all had the nasal vowel ę

The words they are (su), dove (golǫb), the first person singular present tense (mogu) had a ǫ.

The Polish nasals got mixed up depending on vowel length (short became ę and long became ǫ(ą), so now they say mogę instead of mogǫ, zęby instead of zǫby (teeth) męży instead of mǫży (husband/man), but they say mąż and ząb in nominative singular
>>
>>52033660
>be unable to say "Hey, miss/sir!", use "you" in plural instead

If you want to show respect in Russian just call a person by their first and middle name at the same time. In case of you wasn't introduced use plural "you".

We had miss/mister before soviets, but then we got rid of it.
>>
>>52037671
>even if sometimes pronounced as /on/ and /en/ or even /o/ and /e/.
this is what bothers me, they seem to be pronounced differently depending on the word
>>52037686
>>52037803
>also, why the hell do you need all those special z's and c's if you've already got cz sz rz etc
>I don't get what you're trying to say here.
i just didn't realise polish had so many things like ć and those two letters similar to our ž. i thought polish simply used cz, rz and sz to represent those
>>
>>52038125
To be honest, it's not that simple

We don't have nasal vowels, we have nasal glides/diphthongs, that's one thing
>The combinations en, em, in, im, an, am, on, om where nasalized.
All vowels + n, m get nasalised or turned into diphthongs these days.
"Szansa" is pronounced basically by a nasal a. It's not incorrect or regional speech, it's correct Polish, by the book.
>>52038204
>i just didn't realise polish had so many things like ć and those two letters similar to our ž. i thought polish simply used cz, rz and sz to represent those
We have three series of such consonants
>z
regular

"soft" (alveolo-palatal)

"hard" (retroflex)
The difference for our ears is quite substantial, so different letters are used. To make things worse, Slavic soft "r" changed into a "ż"-sound too, but it's spelled "rz"
>>
I was always keking how ugly Polish word "UWAGA". But recently I realized that we have this word in Russian, even Pushkin used it couple of times in his poems.
>>
>>52038125
>a Russian ja
I think that would be more correct to say that it turned into [a]. Despite the common delusion, russian ля, мя, cя are not pronounced like [lja], [mja] and [sja].
>>
>>52037686
>I don't get what you're trying to say here.
He's talking about ć, ź and ż.

>>52038204
>this is what bothers me, they seem to be pronounced differently depending on the word
Yes, but they're still an abstract unit. And some native speakers might not even realize they're pronounced differently.
(Kinda like Anglos never realize the "p" in Pill and sPill is different...)

About the spelling: the thing is, Latin alphabet has few letters for this kind of sounds, but Polish uses a lot of them. So they end needing both diacritics and digraphs.
(The exception is rz/ż; both are the same sound, but rz comes from a softened r. So at least in theory one of them isn't needed, but this kind of stuff is useful if you know/want to know other Slavic langs.)
>>
>>52038401
>(Kinda like Anglos never realize the "p" in Pill and sPill is different...)
They're what?
>>
>>52038467
They are, man. It gets obvious if you pronounce in sequence pill, spill, bill - the first will have a small "buff" of air after you opened your lips but before the vowel begins, but the other two won't.

Now, this isn't a huge deal in English because you learned to ignore the difference as "it's the same thing". But some languages do see both sounds as different things (for example Ancient Greek, and AFAIK Mandarin).
>>
>>52033660
>be Polish
>be eternally butthurt
>>
>>52038467
According to books, "p" in "pill" is aspirated, while "p" in "spill" is not. Aspiration is that additional burst of air Anglos do after "p" in "pill", "t" in "task", "k" in "key". Compare the "t"s in "task" and "hat".

I always had doubts regarding the pill/spill difference, I have a good ear for sounds and never heard it, though I'm not saying it's false.
>>
>>52037228
A kingdom is the specific type of reich that belongs to a king, it is not a general translation of reich.

That is assuming German reich means the same as the scandi equivalent (rike).
>>
>>52038204
The rules for this are simple.
If the nasal vowel is standing in front of a dental, it's pronounced as the vowel + n. kąt - kont, ręce - rence
If it is standing in front of a labial - vowel+m, ząb - zomb, pięć - pienć
in front of fricatives its pronounced as nasal vowels wąsy(mustache), księżyc (moon)
in front of velars its pronounced as the n+k or n+g combination in English.
rąka - roŋka
If ę is the last sound, it loses its nasalization, but ą doesnt
>>52038375
Try explaining softening vowels to other Slavs. They use a mix of softening vowels and modified consonants to show softness and probably don¨t think about this
rzeka/řeka, pięć/pět)
>>52038204
You're lucky enough to have been born a Slav and should learn to learn Polish the Slav way
rz is a soft r (riječ), sz is š, cz is č, ż is ž.
you don't have soft and hard L:s like in Russian and Polish, but Ł is a hard L while L is a soft L

It'll be easier if you know what the words mean and their etymology.
I'll start writing some tips for Slavs wanting to study Polish now
>>
>>52038615
The same goes for Swedish
Also, don't try to take away the only Slavic nasal vowels in my life. I'll kill you if you do it
>>
Polish language is outdated. You'd better reduce your alphabet cause it has a lot of duplicated chart. Also its grammatic is shitty scsz
>>
>>52038615
>I always had doubts regarding the pill/spill difference, I have a good ear for sounds and never heard it, though I'm not saying it's false.
Let me guess... you're used to British English, aren't you?
VOT for the aspirated phones in Britbongs are shorter than for Murricans, see:
http://www.aclweb.org/anthology/O08-4005
>>
>>52038869
*in Britbongs' [English]
>>
>>52033660
>having to say have
>not omitting the third person form of 'to be'
these are good things that make the language more efficient
>>
What's the stance on Macedonian, a lot of people say its similar to Bulgarian, but for the life of me I can't understand a word those moreta fags are saying. Has anyone ever studied it or heard it? Seems like its ignored tbqh.
>>
>>52038328
>>52038401
>>52038806
i was looking forward to breezing through polish on duolingo, i just didn't realise the ortography was so complicated, and weird too.
like only using w instead of v, and using y(we don't use it, just looks not-slavic to me for some reason) which can make an eh or ee sound seemingly, unless i'm mishearing it
>>
>>52038951
What Is efficient in the construction "at X is Y"?
>>
>>52037228
no, it means "realm". That's not the same.
>>
>>52039110
>like only using w instead of v, and using y(we don't use it, just looks not-slavic to me for some reason) which can make an eh or ee sound seemingly, unless i'm mishearing it
"Y" is as Slavic as it gets. And assuming it's a letter of Latin alphabet that we borrowed from Greek ypsilon, we use more correctly that Anglos do.

"W" is the fact that we learned Latin from Czechs and Germans. Germans use "w".
>>
>>52038849
>scsz
Iwan please.
szcz might be a really common combination, but it's just two digraphs in sequence. It sounds somewhat like ШЧ (sure, not quite Ч, but I guess you get it...), but completely unlike Щ.

Also, about being "outdated": if we're following those lines of thought, one can say instead that it's well-preserved, unlike a certain Slavic language with no vocative or nasal vowels.

>>52039110
Actually, it LOOKS complicated; it isn't that complicated after you get a hang of it, since it's fairly consistent.

And "y" is akin to Russian Ы, when you don't want to soften the preceding consonant.
>>
Guys
What is the least retard language that uses Cyrillic script?
>>
>>52039342
Tatar?
Bulgarian?
>>
>>52039342
Belarusian tbн, but it's almost dead
>>
>>52038849
The grammar is pretty sick yo. It's much more complicated than Russian grammar

We'll start with the nasal vowels
ę softens the consonant that stand before, so if you have a Serbian e and a soft Polish consonant+ a nasal vowel, you know that that nasal vowel has once been a ę
If you have a Serbian U and a hard Polish consonant and an ę, you know that that nasal vowel has once been a ǫ

The ultrashort vowels are a bit harder to explain since they both turned into A in Serbian (dan, pas, danas, [ja] sam.
Anyways, if you have a Serbian A and a hard Polish consonant + e, you know that that vowel has once been a ъ (hard ultrashort vowel)
If you have a Serbian A and a soft Polish consonant, you know that that vowel has once been a soft ultrashort vowel (ь)

It's because of this that we have words like pies(pьsъ), dzień (dьnь), sen (san)
And the reason for having to know this is that it helps with the soft consonants.
ź is a soft Russian z, or a soft d as in dzień, ć is a soft Russian T, ś is a soft Russian S, dź seriously exists and I'm not sure what it is, ń is a soft n

Now for the orthography
If there's a vowel after a consonant, you write out the softness as an i (dzień instead of dżeń and the other way around, niedżwiedż instead of niedziwiedzi (bear)
>>52039110
Y is very Slavic and the pronunciation has been kept in Russian, Ukrainian, Belorussian, Polish and they spell it in Czech and Slovak, but pronounce it like you do, as i

Ty (you) - ti (dative short form of you)

Also, think of L as a Croatian Lj
>>
>>52039448
>almost
It's dead.
>>
>>52039342
>least retard[ed]
I hope you're aware Portuguese sounds for most of the word as a retarded Spanish...

That said, define what you mean by "least retarded". Are you talking about the way it sounds, the easiness of pronouncing it, or what?

>>52039448
Weren't you guys shifting to łacinka?
>>
>>52038974
>but for the life of me I can't understand a word those moreta fags are saying

Иcкa ти ce дa e тaкa, нaли?
>>
>>52039564
What does nali mean?
>>
>>52039342
Can't' say much about that, though I've noticed Macedonian tends to use the least amount of retarded Cyrillic letters, like mirrored R and joint sounds in one letter.
>>
>>52039342
What criteria of retardness do you use?
>>
>>52039342
Mongol
>>
>>52039564
kek, the vocabulary is really similar, but the grammar is different so that I can't really follow.

>>52039597
We have neli, means something like right? Basically, he said, You would like that, right/wouldn't you?
>>
>>52039699
What exactly is different? Both don't have cases and both use articles.

Basically, you're just speaking a serbified Bulgarian.
>>
>>52039558
Now why do you say that, it's still struggling ;(
>>
>>52039562
>>52039604
Grammar structure and orthography.
>>
>>52039699
The Russian "нe тaк ли" is pretty close to that, cool
What bugs me with Bulgarian (except for no cases) is that it's filled with small fucking words that you can't make out
>>
>>52039562
No, we weren't
>>
>>52039806
Russian grammar is easy and the orthography is both Slavic and beautiful
>>
>>52039562
*of the world

>>52039849
Weird, I saw something in this regard...
(Just seriously... why on Earth did they decide to borrow ł? WHY???)
>>
>>52039795
Sorry anon.
Even remnants of it are infected with russian. It's not belarusian we had. It's a monster.
>>52039562
Nope.
>>
>>52039321
>Slavic language with no vocative
That's not completely truth though. Russian uses vocative forms for some hypocorisms, but it has no any connection to the old vocative.
>>
>>52039861
Cases and the extensive verb conjugation is a turn off.
>>
>>52039251
>"Y" is as Slavic as it gets
i associate it with english since we don't use it here, so it looks weird, just like w instead of v, it looks unnatural to me
>>52039321
>Actually, it LOOKS complicated; it isn't that complicated after you get a hang of it, since it's fairly consistent.
yeah i just didn't think there were so many special characters, i thought there was only that funny-looking l and that's it heh, pretty ignorant of me
>>52039530
the problem with y for me is that in some words it sounds more like a croatian e, and in others more like a croatian i, so it throws me off sometimes
>>
>>52039791
>Bulgarian dialect

The current consensus is that its an autonomous language. Slavic literally started in Ohrid and spread from there. Also, read about Peter Draganov.
>>
>>52040012
But Cyrillic is the alphabet of the Slavs :(
>>52040061
I get you. You don't want to hear the Russian y by the way
http://sv.forvo.com/word/%D1%82%D1%8B/
>>
>>52039791
>>52040140

Also, before you go hurr durr Macedonian authors identified as Bulgarian/Greek. Its pretty hard to identify as Macedonian when it was literally against the law.
>>
>>52039987
I know, I was just taunting him [you?].

>>52040012
Cases are simple, man, just memorize the ending patterns - just like you did for verbs.
Verb conjugations are also simple in general... well, far easier than "canto, cantei, cantava, cantara, cantaria, tinha cantado..."

>>52040061
The special characters are usually intuitive to remember... the shit is writing them with a computer.
>>
>>52040229
>I get you. You don't want to hear the Russian y by the way
you mean u? i know serbian cyrillic so i know what it's prounounced like
oh and
>But Cyrillic is the alphabet of the Slavs :(
pff, for pleb orthocućks maybe :^)
and you're a swede? why do you care about slavic languages?
>>52040294
>The special characters are usually intuitive to remember... the shit is writing them with a computer.
lol i don't even bother writing the proper ones, i just use c for ć and so on
>>
>>52040294
>Cases are simple
I wouldn't say that. At least not in Russian.
>>
If you're wondering about the nasals, check this table out
http://xpicto.republika.pl/slavonia/zagadnienia/nosowki.html
and bear in mind the author has marked soft consonants with an apostrophe
>>
>>52040503
>lol i don't even bother writing the proper ones, i just use c for ć and so on
I had to remap some stuff here to do that... ć was specially annoying, since the old layout had c+´=ç.
>>
File: screenshot.270.jpg (252 KB, 945x717) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.270.jpg
252 KB, 945x717
>>52040503
Serbs don't have ы/y just as you don't have it. It's pretty close to the Polish y, but still very different
>>52040658
Tы cpaвни вcё этo c pyccкими пaдeжaми. Cклoнeния в зaпaднocлaвянcких языкaх нaмнoгo cлoжнee, чeм в pyccкoм
>>
>>52040658
They are simple. The tricky part isn't understanding them, just memorization.
>>
>>52040294
>Verb conjugations are also simple in general... well, far easier than "canto, cantei, cantava, cantara, cantaria, tinha cantado..."
not really 2bh
i don't speak portuguese, but these seem similar to the verb endings in italian and those aren't difficult to memorize at all imo
>>52041016
oh i thought you were talking about the y in cyrillic like in pyc
>>
>>52040503
MENA immigrant. I just like Slavic languages
>>52041334
My bad
>>
>>52040503
y is a version of "i" used after hard vowels
serbo croatian in general is a language the lost half of it's consonants
Š, Ð, Ć, Č, (and S, Z, C in some cases) are the soft ones
The other pairs have pretty much merged in most cases so it looks awfully primitice for a polish eye
Polish and the eastern slavic languages have preserved them the best
>>
>>52041381
What's the difference between Ć and Č, I know the Serbs have special characters Ћ ћ and Ђ ђ, and also have the regular dj and ch, is it something similar? To me they seem pretty redundant.
>>
>>52041381
samefag here
take the first article of the human rights bill
>Wszyscy ludzie rodzą się wolni i równi pod względem swej godności i swych praw. Są oni
obdarzeni rozumem i sumieniem i powinni postępować wobec innych w duchu braterstwa
if we used some dodgy one letter-one transcription, and used "i" for both Y and I, it would look like this:
>Wšisci ľuďe rodzą śę woľńi i rówńi pod wzgľędem swej godnośťi i swih praw. Są ońi
obdařeńi rozumem i suḿeńem i powinńi postępowať wobec innyh w duhu braterstwa.
The polish alphabet looks kind of bad, and that's because of the limitations of the latin one
the perfect one would be with 7 vowels (a e i o u ą ę) and all the variations of the consonants marked as separate characters
>>
>>52041368
>MENA immigrant.
hehe
>I just like Slavic languages
why though?
>>52041381
>serbo croatian in general is a language the lost half of it's consonants
>The other pairs have pretty much merged in most cases so it looks awfully primitice for a polish eye
you disrespectin me tomasz you fucker
jk, nobody i know differentiates between č-ć, dž-đ, i don't think most croats do. it's mostly a serbian thing
>>52041550
>To me they seem pretty redundant.
certainly seems that way to me fäm
i'd try to explain it to you but it's probably better if you just google it and hear the difference in some video
>>
>>52041016
>Cклoнeния в зaпaднocлaвянcких языкaх нaмнoгo cлoжнee, чeм в pyccкoм
Accent paradigms? Unpredictable nominative and genitive plurals? Additional locative forms?
>>
>>52041550
Both yes and no, I think
Knowing this helps with pronunciation, but etymologically they're different, I believe
Try to find comparative forms where k or t becomes a Serbian ć or đ. I think the word "younger" has đ.
>>52041907
The thing is that everything there is predictable, you just have to learn the rules for them, such as living, non-living, ending on soft or hard consonant, historical endings (вepнocть - věrnost). I'll try explaining everything that differs from the Russian endings. Give me a minute
>>
>>52041550
i think you use Ќ and it's the same thing as ć
other than that idk
But I can tell you about polish
Ć is a soft T, written so because it literally sound more like a soft C, even though there's no such thing
Cz is another consonant that formed as a result of the 1st palatalization, from K
C comes from K, formed during the 2nd palatization
the later two bahave like hard ones in speech, and they are followed by Y
>>
>>52041880
I just do

>>52042130
List: gen -u because it's non-living (чaшкa чaю, мнoгo нapoдy), locative -u this you just have to memorize (нa бepeгy, в лecy, в aэpoпopтy), gen pl -ů, I think it comes from ův (-oв), locative pl -ech because it's masculine (Old Russian -ѣхъ), instr pl -y because it's masculine (Old Russian -ы)
I'll do every word, but this is for the first word
>>
>>52041880
>>52042130

I mean, I get there IS a difference, I apply those in Macedonian and I can't find a purpose for them, the distinction is to small for me to justify them being split. But I guess in their language it has uses.
>>
>>52041334
>i don't speak portuguese, but these seem similar to the verb endings in italian and those aren't difficult to memorize at all imo
They wouldn't if they weren't far more irregular in Portuguese, conjugations didn't change accordingly to dialect and people didn't decide to have two "sets" for most conjugations - fusional and analytical. The verb table is _huge_.
>>
>>52042412
You feel like exchanging contacts? It'd be fun to have a Pole that knows Slavic language history and Russian(?)
>>
>>52042522
check out http://jezykotw.webd.pl/
>>
>>52042130
>The thing is that everything there is predictable
Where? I was talking about Russian.
>>
>>52042454
>But I guess in their language it has uses.
i don't see any uses for it, it's just an unnecessary complication as far as i'm concerned
>>52042508
>two "sets" for most conjugations - fusional and analytical
i had no idea, can you give me an example?
>>
File: screenshot.259.jpg (139 KB, 598x729) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.259.jpg
139 KB, 598x729
>>52042425
město
dative pl -ům because it's masculine (Old Russian -oм)

Next word
Soused
Dative sg -ovi, because it's living (Old Russian -oви, check out дoмoй originally from дoмoви)
Nom pl -i because it's living (Old Russian -и, softened consonant/second palatalization followed - вoлки/вoлци)

žena
instr sg -ou an original nasal vowel (Old Church Slavonic -oѭ, Old Russian -oю)
It's from these endings (žena) that Russian has gotten most of it's modern day case endings

muž

gen sg -e, soft a becomes e in Czech at the end of words
dative sg -i, no idea why, probably because it ends with a soft consonant

This is taking too much time, but you can figure out the rest yourself if you want too
>>
>>52042995
The Russian endings follow the same rules as the Czech, the difference being the wealth of case endings and there being a larger difference between virile and nonvirile words
>>
>>52042809
I've bookmarked the page, but I'm not very fond of reading stuff on forums
>>
>>52043055
>i had no idea, can you give me an example?
Sure.
I'll list for the verbs the 1st person singular (eu), 2nd person singular (tu) and the 1st person plural (nós), OK?

>Future indicative
Fusional: cantarei, cantarás, cantaremos
Analytic: vou cantar, vais cantar, vamos cantar

>Past imperfect
Fusional: cantava, cantavas, cantávamos
Analytic: ia cantar, ias cantar, íamos cantar

>Pluquamperfect past
Fusional [almost dead]: cantara, cantaras, cantaráramos
Analytic: tinha cantado, tinhas cantado, tínhamos cantado

And so goes on. Note that there is barely any semantic difference between the two sets.
>>
>>52043897
oh, so the analytic versions are just an auxiliary verb+a verb in infinitive, that's the simplest thing to remember
>>
>>52044366
>versions are just an auxiliary verb+a verb in infinitive
oh and whatever this form's called
>cantado
>>
>>52044366
Yeah, but the thing is: you still need to know how to conjugate the aux verb (and those are fairly irregular ser, estar and ir).

The cantado form is the participle... to add injury, it's a verbal form but it behaves like an adjective.
>>
>>52044750
>Yeah, but the thing is: you still need to know how to conjugate the aux verb (and those are fairly irregular ser, estar and ir).
but still those are just a few verbs, right? not that hard, especially when they're this common and important
>The cantado form is the participle... to add injury, it's a verbal form but it behaves like an adjective.
i think there was something like this in italian too, like the o changing into an a, but i can't remember in what instances exactly, haven't used it in years
>>
>>52043341
>The Russian endings follow the same rules as the Czech
Russian really has more unified paradigm in plural (dative, instrumental and prepositive have the same endings for all words except for дeтьми и людьми), but it's much more unpredictable when it comes to declension of a word.
1) You can never say which accent paradigm a word belongs to just by looking at it.
2) Unlike the West Slavic languages, some masculine words can have the ending "-a" in nom.pl. too: aдpecá, пoeздá, yчитeля́, тpaктopá
3) Masculine words usually have ending "-oв" in gen.pl, but some of them don't: глaз, coлдaт, пapтизaн.
4) First declension and neuter nouns usually have zero ending in gen.pl, but some of them don't: бaхчeй, вoзжeй, oблaкoв.
>>
holy fuck why are russians so based?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9RwYPsVpfM
>>
File: ynNT7zTkD7Y.jpg (9 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
ynNT7zTkD7Y.jpg
9 KB, 200x200
>>
>>52038366
Wut? Увaгa exists in ukrainian but not in russian.
>>
>>52036624
>I must admit that this does sound very primitive to me.

Arabic basically works the same way because the language is based on subject verb object structure and other 'primitive' structure in which you completely omit verb to make 'verb to be' sentences aka informative sentences.

There nothing wrong with 'he engineer' because the 'is' is naturally implied. It just sounds primitive because a couple of hollywood spins portrayed primitive apes to speak that way.
>>
the only one butthurt in russian is noexistence of an official latin, because anglo translit is a totally cucкed

we need latin as czech or polish have

from the other ways our language is awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spDy95Sww6k
>>
>>52033660
wew
>>
>>52047558
the songs chorus
in serbocroatian-like
Kak že proizošlo, žiznj opjatj slovno bely list
Mažet kraskami holst, krasno-žjoltym, jejo kapriz
Nočj vsjo perevernjot i ostavit bolj na potom
Točno ješco povezjot s teplom

and in a polish-like latin
Kak že proizošło, žiźń opiać słovno beły list
Mažet kraskami chołst, krasno-žołtym, jejo kapriz
Noč vsio piereverniot i ostavit bol na potom
Točno ješco poveziot s ciepłom
>>
>>52047558
>we need latin as czech or polish have
No, we don't. Polish latin is completely retarded.
>>
>>52038702
True, you see it better in Dutch: Reich is rijk while kingdom is koninkrijk.(and empire is keizerrijk)

Rijk also means rich, in the ancien regime being rich automatically meant owning land.
>>
švaba jaše crno konja
>>
OPAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ))))))))))
>>
>>52048582
Agreed. Czech/Slovak version is the only legitimate way a Slavic language should be written in Latin.
>>
>>52036731
We have Rzesza but it beans more of german confederacy thing rather than the original meaning
>>
>>52049793
croatian is fine as well, as it's so simplistic and it fits right in
>>
>>52049793
Czech and Slovak scripts are definitely not the best. At least not for Russian with its 18 soft consonant phonemes. Actually I like the polish way of marking palatalization before vowels, it just needs some revision. Why not choose one letter ( ǐ or ì, for example) and use it in all the positions? Lǐod, tenǐ, semǐ, denǐgi etc
>>
>>52052103
an apostrophe would serve the purpose
I think the best system for polish would be marking every soft letter individually, like serbian љ њ џ ђ ћ ч ш ж
but with more letters, like soft m, p, b, r, l, w, s
>>
>>52052615
>an apostrophe would serve the purpose
The apostrophe literally chops a word into two parts. That's the most disgusting way of marking softness I've even seen.
>>
>>52052945
that's the only commonly used sign that would work and it's also similar to…
…the áćúté accent but diacritics are easily lost and imo diacritics should only come as an additional thing, like in greek or on croatian vowels
you could use J instead of ь and the polish system
>>
>>52053272
*you could use J instead of ь together with the polish system of using i + a/e/o/u
>>
>>52053272
>that's the only commonly used sign
That's why I hate the common transliteration system. I can tolerate the english digraphs but using y for [j] and the apostrophe for palatalization really makes me barf.
>you could use J instead of ь and the polish system
I used that system actually. I find it a little bit unaesthetic. A text written in it contents too much j's and you still need an additional letter to mark that ia/io/iu are pronounced separately (gliadetj / pïanino).
Thread replies: 187
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.