[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does Africa have no culture?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: Official_Languages_-_Africa.png (43 KB, 939x796) Image search: [Google]
Official_Languages_-_Africa.png
43 KB, 939x796
Even after colonialism 99 % Of Africa still speaks French, English, or Arabic. In Asia they all chose Asian languages while in Africa they don't seem to care
>>
>official language
>all people in these countries speak the official language as a first language
Official languages because the people of the countries speak tons of different languages. The problem is that the former colonisator made artificial borders that lack tons of ethnographic interest. Thus, they have to use the language of the former bureaucracy to have a common language. The only country that recognises this issue is south Africa I think, though they're not as much of a colony as the others were. They recognise a lot of ingenious languages.
Also pardon my writing, I'm pretty stoned right now
>>
>>51941942
ali the caligraphist was too busy to help convict the adulterous woman so he said "pardon my stoning, I'm writing pretty right now"
>>
>>51941942
>I'm pretty stoned right now
t. dutch
>>
>>51941494
Who cares, they are doomed anyway.
>>
really stupid thread, most africains speak native languages in their everyday life, french/english is used for formal papers and studies
>>
>>51941494
OP, it's retards like you that give Americans a bad rep. Kill yourself immediately please.
>>
Are you serious?
>>
>>51941494
Because the African countries seldom are nation states. Post colonialist countries, especially the authoritarian majority used the European languages to unite the people. In countries like Angola the percentage of people speaking the former colonial language rised dramatically after independence.

t. Angolan
>>
>>51946065
He's obivously just shitposting.
>>
>>51946762
TU PRA MIM ÉS A ÚNICA MULHER
>>
File: calligraphy.jpg (109 KB, 784x578) Image search: [Google]
calligraphy.jpg
109 KB, 784x578
Pretty sure Arabic is language that began in Asia.

Granted, it is classified as Afro-Asiatic, but that's because Berbers in North Africa took a lot of the language and made it their own little thing.

Other than that, Arabic is very much Asian, and has been used all throughout the continent, especially in script.

Notable examples include the Jawi script in Southeast Asia, Urdu script, Mongol script (which is basically Arabic written up and down), the Uygher script in Western China, and Kazakh/Central Asian scripts.

Arabic has one of the largest linguistic influences in the world, and this was all done without the formation of large empires. For instance, Arabs never conquered Southeast Asia or China, but people adopted the language nonetheless.

It's an interesting history.
>>
File: 1449790018824.png (375 KB, 948x601) Image search: [Google]
1449790018824.png
375 KB, 948x601
>>51946065
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakub_(Nation_of_Islam)
>>
>>51951342
noone ever said Arabic is an African language

Also Afro-Asiatic has nothing to do at all with Berbers taking Arabic as main language.
>>
>>51951471 Then please explain why Arabic is classified as Afro-Asiatic
>>
File: 300px-Hamito-Semitic_languages.jpg (23 KB, 300x197) Image search: [Google]
300px-Hamito-Semitic_languages.jpg
23 KB, 300x197
>>51951840
Afro-asiatic is a language family that comprises not only Arabic, but other languages that can be found in Africa only, like Somali, Arabic or Berber languages like Tamazight. They're related to each other.
>>
>>51951840
Do you not know how language families work? It's because Semitic languages like Arabic and Berber languages have a common ancestor.
>>
>>51951840
Same reason Indo-European languages are called Indo-European. That's the geographical extent of the language family, it's not referring to where it originated. And the Afro-Asiatic language family is comprised of more than just Arabic, and the non Arabic languages are firmly in Africa as well.
>>
>>51951955
Yes, but WHY are they related to each other?

I mean, Persia is further away from Europe than Arabia. So why is Arabic excluded from the Indo-European language family?
>>
>>51952143
>WHY are they related to each other?
Wtf do you think language families are based purely on geography? It's because they have a common ancestor and are related. Not all languages that are next to each other are related.
>>
>>51952143
I don't get what you're trying to ask? Like, do you want to know why they are related? They share common vocabulary, grammar, syntax m8. That's how we know. Look up Wikipedia on it, distance doesn't necessarily have something to do with common ancestry.
>>
>>51952295
Hmmm... Makes sense. Thanks for the input.
>>
>>51941494
They have foreign official languages because the modern states are direct descendants of colonial politixal units with shitloads of languages trapped inside that have nothing to do with each other. For example, if you make Hausa the official language of Nigeria, then it would piss off the speakers of Igbo and Yoruba and Fulani and dozens of other tongues. It's easier just to have everyone speak English with each other, like in India.
>>
>>51946762
continua chamando-me assim... bebé
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.