[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/CW/: Commonwealth Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 10
File: British+Empire+Flags.jpg (169 KB, 1314x873) Image search: [Google]
British+Empire+Flags.jpg
169 KB, 1314x873
> spain has special immigration policy towards its former colonies with which it shares a common language, culture, heritage and ethic
> the netherlands has special immigration policy towards suriname due to sharing a common language, culture, heritage and ethic
> russian immigration policy is very lax on countries from the former ussr despite no official difference in status between former ussr and non-former ussr migrants
> the european union enforces open borders between countries with highly heterogenous languages, cultures, heritage and ethic for the sake of economic prosperity and a federal european super-state that can compete on the world stage

> canada, australia, nz and uk share the same head of state, the same westminister style parliamentary democracy, the same language, similar standards of living, the same ethics and even a lot of the same law, but because leftists don't want to look racist and right-wingers don't want to have to justify why only developed commonwealth countries should have less strict immigration laws, countries with centuries of common history treat eachother's citizens, legally, like complete aliens.

It's bureaucracy gone wild.
>>
>>51918236
I'm saying this as an anglophile who's personally interested in immigrating to the UK to settle, but we all know full well net-migration will be away from the UK and to Canada, Australia and New Zealand since even with strict immigration laws loads of Brits desperately try and escape their dingy island in droves for Canada, Australia and New Zealand anyway.

I think at least we should adopt the Spanish model of 2 years of residency for naturalisation between developed commonwealth nations.

It's ridiculous that immigration is so difficult between countries that share so much in common.

And it's not "betraying your country", I'm still very interested in maintaining ties with my home country, but I don't see how making it less horribly difficult and masochistic for people to immigrate between countries who are essentially brothers is objectionable.

Brits always bitch about lack of room in their tiny island, Canada and Australia are very welcoming to immigrants, especially immigrants with cute accents. It's win-win-win.
>>
File: British_and_French_empires_1920.png (50 KB, 1425x625) Image search: [Google]
British_and_French_empires_1920.png
50 KB, 1425x625
2 N D P L A C E I N H I S T O R Y
N
D

P
L
A
C
E

I
N

H
I
S
T
O
R
Y
>>
File: making-a-toast[1].jpg (44 KB, 397x302) Image search: [Google]
making-a-toast[1].jpg
44 KB, 397x302
Gentlemen, to the Crown!
>>
>tfw I want out of the EU and replace it with a sort of fully integrated Commonwealth
>tfw everyone calls this madness

Got some Eric Moo this week lads. Helping Malaysia's economy so they can fight the good fight in Yemen.
>>
>>51919824
>fully integrated Commonwealth
fuck off literal paki
>>
go fuck yourselves desu especially you canada
>>
GOD SAVE OUR GRACIOUS QUEEN
>>
File: tips.jpg (66 KB, 613x677) Image search: [Google]
tips.jpg
66 KB, 613x677
>>51919784
>Gentlemen
>,to the Crown!
>>
>>51918850
>escape their dingy island in droves for Canada
Don't talk yourself up m8
>>
I'm all for an Australian republic, to be honest.
The only thing that would change my mind is something actually being done with the Commonwealth. It's hardly even acknowledged these days, outside of the Games.
>>
>>51918236
>>51918850
As a Canuck I imagine it would be easy for you to immigrate here as long as you have some sort of skill and are under 30. I know a few that have done this actually.
>>
>>51920420
Actually the commonwealth games refers to the commonwealth of nations, not the commonwealth realms.

The commonwealth realms are only evoked in queen ceremonial shit.

Being an Australian republic would actually change literally nothing materially between Britain and Australia.
>>
>>51920420
Well it's happen sooner or later. Either way it doesn't change the strong ties we have with the rest of the Commonwealth.
>>
>>51920420
>It's hardly even acknowledged these days, outside of the Games.
But we just had CHOGM...
>>
>>51920457
>Being an Australian republic would actually change literally nothing materially between Britain and Australia.
this
>>
>>51920482
again this refers to the commnowealth of nations, not the commonwealth insofar as having the queen as head of state.

there are republics and countries with their own monarchs that are members of the former commonwealth. Australia having the queen or not is irrelevant to its membership to this club.
>>
>>51920523
>former commonwealth
i mean former type of commonwealth, ie the commonwealth of nations.
>>
>>51920523
Commonwealth = Commonwealth of Nations. When people say it, that's what they mean.
>>
>>51920579
yes but people often make the mistake that ditching the monarchy would lead to their exclusion from the commonwealth of nations.
>>
>>51920648
I didn't.
>>
>>51918850
This is true, I'd leave for Australia just so I can live in a house that isn't tiny.
>>
File: ax.jpg (82 KB, 800x680) Image search: [Google]
ax.jpg
82 KB, 800x680
>>51918236
ITS 2015 GOD SHITS ON THE QUEEN SHE DOES NOT REPRESENT THE NEW MULTICULTI CANADA OUI OUI OUI
>>
>>51920867
York South Weston, what an Anglo as fuck sounding name.
>>
>>51919824
There's an organisation advocating for free-movement between Canada, Australia, the UK and New Zealand and economic and geo-political cooperation between the entire Commonwealth like the EU, but anything like that is unlikely to happen in the near future without a Brexit.

Right now the most sensible thing is to advocate for less harsh immigration laws, like Spain has with the Spanish American countries, Equatorial Guinea and the Philipines, on account of their common heritage. [Naturalisation requires 10 years residency in Spain, but for people from Spanish American countries, Equatorial Guinea and the Philipines it's only 2 years, for the obvious reason that in quite a few of those countries Spanish heritage is still strong and except for the Philipines they're all Spanish speaking countries]. The Netherlands has a similar policy with Suriname.

The Netherlands doesn't have that sort of policy with Indonesia because it could easily put a strain on the Netherlands that it couldn't cope, unlike making an agreement with Suriname which is a much, much smaller country.

For the same reason these sorts of things need to be between a limited number of countries that ease of travel and interaction policies could work with.

This is just common sense reform I'm talking about, a wider Commonwealth union would have plenty benefits even for the really large and under developed nations.
>>
>>51922501
>much, much smaller country.
and much, much comfier
>>
>>51922501
>a wider Commonwealth union would have plenty benefits even for the really large and under developed nations.

Theoretically, of course. It would be a lot to get into, and I'm not gonna claim I know how something that large could work with countries like India, Nigeria and Kenya in it. I imagine it would have to do with economic, industrial and defense development, but some people would call something like that neo-colonial or paternalistic, even if it does benefit the countries in question [*see French cooperation in west Africa].
>>
File: transcended.jpg (21 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
transcended.jpg
21 KB, 480x360
Canada is a country located in North America, right near the arctic ocean
>>
>>51922822
> australian knows basic geography

Wow, it's almost like you aren't all retarded... almost.
>>
>can into commonwealth too?

We would have special restrictions like always
>>
>>51922501

As soon as you make it easy for Brits to get the fuck of their island they'll take it, they're already our biggest immigrant group, I've noticed British lolly shops and pubs popping up all over the place and their's even a British foods isle in my local supermarket.

Not that it's a negative for NZ but surely white flight en-masse from the UK is going to permanently fuck it up
>>
File: connery.jpg (63 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
connery.jpg
63 KB, 420x420
>>51923007
>007
Them digits though, be nice Sverige
>>51923147
RARE
A
R
E
>>
>>51923147
R A R E
A
R
E
>>
File: mQuWnKN.jpg (62 KB, 636x460) Image search: [Google]
mQuWnKN.jpg
62 KB, 636x460
>>51920429
>tfw really want to go to Oz on a work visa but I've never saved enough to qualify and I'm already 28
>>
>>51923166
For some reason Australia is the most popular destination for Brits, there's literally millions of them here. I think they make up around 10% of our population (not including second generation of course). I don't blame them, the UK really is a miserable place for a variety of reasons and as far as I can see it's not getting any better.
>>
>>51923147

The population of most of the Caribbean islands isn't enough to have much effect, aren't a lot of them already British Overseas territories?
>>
>>51920942
Everywhere in Ontario is Anglo as fuck sounding
>>
>>51923287
>digits
>false RARE

Our barbadian friend is here pretty often, you fucking reddit "refugee"

Ausländer raus
>>
>>51923370

Yeah 7% of population here (that's those who were born in the UK), compare that to 2.4% who were born in China and 1.5% who were born in Aussie
>>
>>51918850
>>51923166
>>51923370
Wow you guys are arrogant as fuck and it's totally unwarranted. I would never leave the UK to live in one of your countries. And yes I've visited them except for New Zealand.
>>
>>51923909

How is it unwarranted? Poms don't get special treatment when immigrating here yet they're our largest immigrant group, that's the definition of warranted
>>
>>51923909
Not arrogant just examining facts. No need to take it personally.
>>
>>51923383
No more like Canada where the Queen is still technically our head of state but we are autonomous.
>>
>>51918236
australia only allows people in that will benefit the nation so you either have to be studying here, investing or have a job before you come over
obviously an anglo citizen will have a much easier time finding a job and fitting in than anyone else
my company for example has 2 south africans, 1 brit, 1 german, 2 americans
government is doing what it should, stopping anyone coming here who will just leech off us
>>
>>51923987
Why would you emigrate somewhere for special treatment?

I don't know why you keep repeating that we're your largest immigrant group as if that means the UK is shit. The UK is by far, by FAR the biggest Anglo Commonwealth country so it stands to reason that the British emigrant population would be one of the largest in Canada, New Zealand and Australia.

We have 65 million people, Australia has 23 million. Think about that.
>>
>>51924217
now I remember why everyone hates poms
>>
File: 745.png (211 KB, 327x316) Image search: [Google]
745.png
211 KB, 327x316
>>51923909
> immibrits
> britleaves
> colony-magnets
>>
File: latest UK immigration.png (89 KB, 944x430) Image search: [Google]
latest UK immigration.png
89 KB, 944x430
And here's a fun fact for you guys

What's the largest immigrant group to the UK? It's not in this picture. At 76,000 the largest immigrant group is Brits returning home. Source
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/politics-blog/11622718/Immigration-nation-where-are-the-Britains-migrants-coming-from-and-why.html

Why are so many returning, must be because the UK is so shit

>>51924319
No one cares who you hate, your opinion isn't worth anything at all
>>
>>51918236
Australia used to have an immigration system that made it difficult for non-Anglos to immigrate to Australia (Hence why there are so few Germans, Italians, French, Dutch, Spanish here compared to somewhere like) but c*cks from both the left and right dismantled it throughout the 60's and 70's
>>
>>51924401
No need to be so salty, lots of people move to Oz for the weather.
>>
>>51924558
Yes I know.

But given the close links between these 4 countries, and the population disparity, you would expect Brits to be the largest group in the other countries *all things being equal*. The people in this thread are saying we're the largest group because the UK is shit.

The UK has a larger population than Canada, Australia and New Zealand COMBINED.

In percentage terms, UK->Aus migration could be almost a third of Aus->UK migration while still being a larger absolute number
>>
>>51924401
>>51924868
lol. this really rustled you didn't it?
>>
>>51926095
Yes, yes it did
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.