[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How will the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland work after
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: Lapland Church.jpg (107 KB, 750x526) Image search: [Google]
Lapland Church.jpg
107 KB, 750x526
How will the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland work after Finland legalises same-sex marriage?
I've heard that there is a notable opposition to it among the church. Will the church be forced to do things to which it has a moral objection? How can it keep its credibility as a Church of God if it has to compromise on theology?

I'm Roman Catholic, so I'm at odds with Protestants, but I still support the preservation of the old Lutheran churches and culture.
>>
>>51770723
these marriages are officiated in court houses or government buildings, not churches.
>>
>>51770746
The Lutheran Church in Finland is a state church – it is funded by taxes, and the clergy are civil servants. As with other Nordic countries that have legalised same sex marriage, the church is obliged to officiate weddings that are legal by the state's definition.
>>
>>51770903
Why are you saying things that are not true anon. Gays can not marry in church here. This year the church held an election and gay marriage was actually discussed, some people want that. The people who were elected have since then decided that the church will not marry gays, despite great effort from the lgbt movement.

Now, a few years ago we decided to not have a state church anymore. But when we had one, it was not forced to follow the governments demands like you imply. With its own elections and council and shit it's somewhat independent.
>>
>>51771236
That's what I was asking.
The Church of Denmark marries gays, as does the Church of Sweden. You're saying that they are the result of church decisions, not state ones?
A Finn on here said yesterday that there was opposition to gay marriage among the church, because most of them didn't want to be forced to do it if the government made them.
>>
>>51771716
>You're saying that they are the result of church decisions
Well of course. The Church of Sweden has no connection to the state anymore. We don't have a state church
>>
File: uspenski.jpg (190 KB, 750x533) Image search: [Google]
uspenski.jpg
190 KB, 750x533
>>51771784
Okay, I see that it used to be a state church.
Finland's Lutheran Church is completely a state church, and is funded by taxes. How does it work for them?
>>
>>51771716
The arch-bishops and the other bishops seem to be for it.
>>
>>51771961
I just checked the state churche's website and it seems they have not yet decided what to do. Apparently their right to perform marriages is directed by another piece of legislation that goes under the "church law", that they can decide to change if they want to. I presume that a gay couple could have a marriage ceremony in a church with the actual marriage being confirmed by a civil magistrate - since that is how all religious minorities do it since only the state church has the right to conduct legal marriages in churches.
>>
>>51770723
>How can it keep its credibility as a Church of God if it has to compromise on theology?
>I'm Roman Catholic, so I'm at odds with Protestants, but I still support the preservation of the old Lutheran churches and culture.

You come to my /int/, establish an abomination on it and then you have the gall question the credibility of some little Fin church?
I doth protest the abomination, free the Vatican, quit holding people hostage, you're supporting murder.
>>
>>51773069
fuck you rapists parading around as zealots, you've always been rapists because the core of your church isn't the vatican - it's rape and murder in disguise.
>>
>>51773069
ok
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.