[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What can Australians tell me about this place? According to QS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: rmit.jpg (53 KB, 556x504) Image search: [Google]
rmit.jpg
53 KB, 556x504
What can Australians tell me about this place? According to QS it's good for civil engineering, but most other rankings don't touch it, and I'm getting a huge $60K a year art school where once you graduate you live like a student until 30 vibe from it.
>>
Well it's the equivalent of an ex poly, so no arts school there. Basically in melbourne for engineering there are 3 unis, melb uni, monash and rmit.
Melb Uni is the 'most elite' as it were, but cops a fair bit of flak for being overly theoretical. RMIT is considered the most hands on, and for courses such as mech/EE some people say that it's the most liked by employers. Monash is somewhere in the middle.

In terms of grades to get in RMIT is definitely the easiest, and people tend to get the highest scores there due to easier exams etc. You might get a few pricks giving you a bit of shit for going there but nobody really cares desu. One thing that might bother you though is the amount of internationals, especially dumb chinese, who pay massive fees to get in, leading to 50%+ international cohorts and an absolute shit fest when it comes to group assignments (have heard horror stories re. English skills)
>>
>>51537436
Most inner city Australian universities are adequate-tier for undergraduate instruction. We do all our dickwaving over postgrad and research figures
t. Tertiary education sector pro
>>
I go there, it's a great uni, but I don't know how good it is for civil engineering.
>>
>>51537436
It's pretty good, but there are probably better tech universities available to you in the U.S.
If you're going to come to Melbourne to study civil engineering, don't go to Melbourne Uni. It's really good, but only for Arts and Humanities stuff. Beyond that it's actually not very good.

Monash is good for pretty much anything, but I don't know if it's worth coming from America for, unless you want to come to Melbourne in particular anyway.
>>
>>51537608
I've heard the MelbUni Eng course is shit
>>
>>51537608
>>51537614
>>51537620
>>51537625
Wow, that was quick. Thank you all.
>>
>>51537651
It's alright, although I'm in chem eng and you do hear a fair bit of shit about mech/EE like I said. I like the masters program cause muh EU citizenship/it follows the bologna reforms, so I'd be able to do my masters over there (so the brand recognition helps)
>>
>>51537651
Also one of the most common complaints is that the exams are 'too difficult' which always makes me kek, a lot of people whinge cause they leave with a WAM of around 70%/ a 2:2 class degree
>>
File: i-header-1.jpg (179 KB, 674x422) Image search: [Google]
i-header-1.jpg
179 KB, 674x422
>>51537718
No worries mate
>>
Is it considered shitposting when an Australian contributes to the discussion?
>>
File: beatiful.jpg (737 KB, 2068x1379) Image search: [Google]
beatiful.jpg
737 KB, 2068x1379
>>51537770
>not using this picture
>>
File: url.jpg (12 KB, 243x207) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
12 KB, 243x207
>>51537723
What are the students like at Unimelb? Are they leftist S.A./Greens SJWs like I'm made to believe?
>>51537795
Wow, that photo makes the city look a lot bigger than it really is. It reminds me of beachfront houses in Brooklyn, with Manhattan overlooking it or something.
>>
>>51537864
>Are they leftist S.A./Greens SJWs like I'm made to believe?
Yes.

The notice boards there usually have some sort of leftwing propaganda up.
>>
>>51537864
Yes. In science/bmed/com it's not too bad but interactions with any attractive girls automatically means talking to arts students as well
>>
File: 18350524174_13fe4d9d51_h.jpg (608 KB, 1067x1600) Image search: [Google]
18350524174_13fe4d9d51_h.jpg
608 KB, 1067x1600
>>51537436
I studied there a few years back. It's at a good location in the city, very central, and in certain areas of expertise it's one of the best unis in the country.
>>
>>51537987
That's the MU building on Swanston St. Isn't it associated with Melbourne Uni? Or is it actually RMIT?
>>
>>51537608
monash is the hardest
>>
>>51538045
Nah it was the only photo of Swanston St I could find on my comp.
>>
>>51537608
>especially dumb chinese, who pay massive fees to get in, leading to 50%+ international cohorts and an absolute shit fest when it comes to group assignments (have heard horror stories re. English skills)
i can vouch for this
>>
>>51538052
From what I've gathered, people tend to do better once they transfer from melb uni to RMIT/Monash, although that could br mainly down to the better support structures
>>
Let me tell you about engineering in Australia.

All engineering courses in Aus must be delivered to a high standard, the government basically tells uni's how to run the course, other wise the course cannot exist

so if you go to RMIT, Vic uni (lol), monash, usyd... it really doesn't matter, just make sure they have the right major.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.