[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Redpill me on solar panels Are they worth it? I hear the government
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 17
File: Solar_panels_on_a_roof.jpg (1 MB, 2043x1037) Image search: [Google]
Solar_panels_on_a_roof.jpg
1 MB, 2043x1037
Redpill me on solar panels

Are they worth it?

I hear the government in some countries will purchase the extra energy they produce after your own electrical consumption
>>
>>51487929

i keep hearing how theyre getting cheaper, but installing them is the same shitty 10k investment from 15 years ago that will pay itself back in 70 years
>>
>are they worth it

No. I have authority over this subject, I am certified to talk on this subject.
First of all, if put near sandy area, sand in the air blocks out a lot of the sun.
Solution is near bodies of water then, right? Absolutely not, water vapor, rains, cloudy weather... all make it borderline useless. Especially in Canada.
Ozone layer blocks out 2/3 of Sun's energy, so there's that.
Oh and did I even mention the most obvious thing, the day and night cycle? This cuts the solar energy in half already, again...

The only viable use of solar panels, is in space.
Sand/Water problem? Solved.
Day/Night cycle? Solved.
Ozone layer? Solved.

Also important piece to remember: All major solar companies went bankrupt. Solar is the second most idiotic energy idea. After wind.....
Wind turbines, while shit at producing any energy, also cause mini-earthquakes, because of oscillation and soil and a lot of the stuff you can google.

Hydro is the best and cleanest energy on Earth. But hydro only is not enough.
Fossil fuels are amazing, so much energy densely packed in a single drop of oil.... but we are running out of those.

The future is in nuclear energy. If used properly, there are no risks.
>>
not unless you get tax credit to get the cost back
>>
>>51488505
>so much energy densely packed in a single drop of oil
And so much shit released in the atmosphere for using oil
>>
This belongs on /g/
>>
>>51488590
everything belongs on /int/
>>
>>51488505
>Hydro is the best and cleanest energy on Earth
It kinda fucks up with the environment though.
>>
>>51487929
I'd be too worried about hail damage.
>>
File: IndiaTv5be50c_rewa-solar-plant.jpg (83 KB, 628x440) Image search: [Google]
IndiaTv5be50c_rewa-solar-plant.jpg
83 KB, 628x440
>>51488505
>All major solar companies went bankrupt.

SO MUCH LIES AND DISINFO

India is all set to have world's largest 750MW solar power plant in Rewa district of Madhya Pradesh that will be completed next year on Independence Day. This will pip America's much vaunted 550 megawatt Desert sunlight solar project in California.

The state government is setting up the plant in a joint venture with Solar Energy Corporation of India.
>>
File: 8lxA7yg.jpg (24 KB, 310x403) Image search: [Google]
8lxA7yg.jpg
24 KB, 310x403
>>51487929
>Redpill me on solar panels
>Are they worth it?

You can look at maps that show yearly sunlight for your area, then factor in the cost benefit ratio. I think it's basically a math problem, but I'm really high right now.
>>
>>51488674
What kind of nonsense is this? Hydro energy is the cleanest energy imaginable in existence. How does hydro "fucks up" the environment?

There's fake lake you build in cases that are too long for this post, but that's it. The rest of it is just river falling on a turbine blade. That's it. Purely mechanical, and there's nothing else to it.
No chemistry. No smoke. No waste. No anything. Just water falling on a turbine. Purely mechanical and nothing else.

Sure, you build 2 nets, to block out all the fish and whatever (turbine blades are delicate and expensive, dont want to damage those), but there is no polution or waste. Fish simply finds another route to swim in.
>>
File: Solar-Vow-.jpg (77 KB, 620x420) Image search: [Google]
Solar-Vow-.jpg
77 KB, 620x420
SOLAR power has always had a reputation for being expensive, but not for much longer. In India, electricity from solar is now cheaper than that from diesel generators. The news – which will boost India’s “Solar Mission” to install 20,000 megawatts of solar power by 2022 – could have implications for other developing nations too.
>>
>>51488822
Yeah, it's clean. But the fake lake that is needed kinda fucked up sometimes here in Brazil.
>>
>>51488767
Spain had the biggest bankruptcy in the countries history when its biggest renables company couldn't pay on its debts, and the same is happening in america but on a much bigger scale, many tens of billions in debt.

The state wasting taxpayer money doesn't mean shit
>>
>>51488767
>>51488878
Yeah its true, solar can produce megawatts you mentioned......................... but there is a reason you didnt mention megawatt per hour. That's how you calculate electric energy production. Megawatts PER HOUR.

>india
Transporting electrical energy is insanely hard. Batteries were never used for large scale electric energy transport for a reason, huge loss of converting electricity into 220 volts 12 amper.
Chemical solutions are also extremely, extremely dangerous and poisonous even, not even to mention not effective for storing electric energy.

Transporting electrical energy, with copper wire, is insane. You would have to use golden, or even better, silver wires. To connect to fucking India. Imagine the cost!

I dont know, maybe India does meet its energy needs with solar. During summer. But that's it.
People with 0 formal education seriously need to stop hyping solar. There is a reason solar energy is only successfully used on spacecraft any nowhere else.

Ozone layer, winter, day and night, climate......... solar energy is just a pipe dream of uneducated people.
>>
File: solar_power_africa.jpg (45 KB, 538x309) Image search: [Google]
solar_power_africa.jpg
45 KB, 538x309
>>51488822
>Hydro energy is the cleanest energy imaginable in existence.

If you have water.

#REKT
#BTFO
>>
>>51489086
Solar power might be clean in operation, but manufacturing is fucking dirty.
>>
>>51487929
Probably not worth it in Canada
>>
>>51487929
Mine have a payoff time of 5-7 years.

Really depends on where you live though. The price keeps dropping, the panels keep getting better, and soon it'll be a lot easier to get a battery system with them.
>>
>>51489061
>solar energy is only successfully used on spacecraft any nowhere else.

BULLSHIT!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvlolmFX-rc
>>
>>51488822
Except you have to destroy valleys to build hydroelectric dams dipshit.
>>
>>51489061
>Megawatts PER HOUR
>i.e. megajoules per second per hour
wat?
>>
>>51488505
> All major solar companies went bankrupt.

Objectively false. Go fuck yourself nigger.
>>
>>51489031
see
>>51489210

Your information is literally years out of date.
>>
>>51489179
>tesla
Built on taxpayer money
>>
>>51489241
> Built primarily on the money Musk made from PayPal.

ftfy
>>
>>51489237
http://www.forbes.com/sites/williampentland/2015/11/30/spains-renewable-energy-powerhouse-teeters-toward-bankruptcy/
Yeah, years
>>
File: 1386053713977.png (29 KB, 219x186) Image search: [Google]
1386053713977.png
29 KB, 219x186
>Using the solar jew

Good goy
>>
>>51489241
>Built on taxpayer money

Built on South African Afrikaner money.
>>
>>51489290
Has literally nothing to do with what I said. There are numerous quite profitable and growing solar companies in the US. That's a fact.
>>
>>51489269
Maybe during the founding, but the government pays a big part of the bill for every electric vehicle sold and "invest" in development and other grants.

The few hundred million from paypal doesn't cover shit
>>
>>51488785
You may be high, but you're absolutely correct.
>>
>>51489329
I like how you have no evidence to back up your assertions about their funding.

You know they sell stock at hundreds of dollars per share, right?
>>
>>51489313
http://dailycaller.com/2015/11/30/obama-pledges-billions-for-greens-isnt-sure-where-will-come-from/
>20 billion the next 5 years
Yeah, musk pays for it all
>>
>>51489209
Take a year. Now divide it by hours.

Solar energy is not something constant, like nuclear or fossil fuels are. Hell even hydro has problems with cycles, but nothing like solar..
I mean megawatts during different months. That's what I meant. English isnt my first language, or second, or third even.

There is a reason you never see solar propaganda posted together with months.

>>51489210
Spain and Germany both went to hell together with their most major solar projects. They had to switch back to fossils and nuclear and hydro. Aka the stuff that works. Always. Solar is simply not reliable.

Wanna make solar work? Fine. But you have to put it up in space. You need to make these hypothetical powerplant satellites, and find a way to convert energy into something like.. I dont know, a laser [?] and transport it back to Earth for consumption.

Producing energy is half of the story. Transporting/converting it is another half. Which no one here talks about.
>>
>>51489401
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_incentives_for_plug-in_electric_vehicles#United_States
Have a read lad
>>
>>51489409
You have no source saying exactly how much of that goes to Tesla, if any.
>>
>>51489434
You are denying the laws of physics and a massive list of real world use cases that prove you wrong.

Shut the fuck up if you're just going to straight up deny basic science.
>>
>>51489465
>In March 2014 the Obama Administration included a provision in the FY 2015 Budget to increase the maximum tax credit for plug-in electric vehicles and other advanced vehicles to US$10,000, over the current US$7,500. However, the new maximum tax credit would not apply to luxury vehicles with a sales price of over US$45,000, such as the Tesla Model S and the Cadillac ELR, which would be capped at US$7,500
>>
>>51489452
Those go to consumers, not the company disphit. If you buy an electric car, you get the rebate, not the car company.
>>
>>51489368
Danke, I like to keep things simple. I'm surprised nobody posted a sunlight map yet. Cost of solar panels and their efficiency would vary by country.
>>
>>51489434
> Producing energy is half of the story. Transporting/converting it is another half.
That applies to all forms of energy. Not just solar like you're implying.

>>51489521
see
>>51489526
Good fucking christ, you're stupid.
>>
>>51488822
The construction of hydro plants is the most expensive by far, you have to submerge a massive land area, move a fucking lot of soil and change the course of a river, not even taking into account the proper hydro plant.
>>
>>51489526
https://www.rt.com/usa/264065-musk-tesla-government-subsidies/
>$4.9 billion in government support
Well its your money
>>
>>51489409

>Tesla repays federal loan nearly 10 years early

>Tesla Motors announced Wednesday that it has repaid a $465 million loan from the government nearly a decade before it was scheduled to do so.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/22/autos/tesla-loan-repayment/
>>
>>51489526
>>51489561
Also, its a subsidy, aka government pays a part of every sale.

How is it not giving tesla money?
>>
>>51489179
this thing costs at least 3 times the price of the solar panels instalation
>>
>>51487929
>Are they worth it?
In Estonia: the initial investment will pay back in about a year if you consume most all the electricity produced and keep the selling back to the grid to a minimum (you're getting jewed by the electric company). Set up prices range from maybe around 1000EUR to ...

>I hear the government in some countries will purchase the extra energy they produce after your own electrical consumption
Yes. You get a subsidy for production even as a micro-producer who goes under 11kW. But it doesn't pay off to sell green electricity to the grid with the current market because the price is too low.
>>
Solar is the cheapest form of energy in some places. Hawaii is a good example. Solar power is significantly cheaper than (non-solar) grid power there.
>>
>>51489606
So where is the other 4.5 billion?
>>
>>51489617
Because Tesla doesn't see a single fucking dime of those incentives you fucking moron. Every bit of those rebates goes TO THE CONSUMER.
>>
>>51489585

He didn't need the loan as seen here >>51489606

The loan was insurance for suppliers that they would be paid if shit didn't work out.
>>
>>51489621
That's the old one. The new ones are under $7500, which is less than the average home solar array.
>>
>>51489434
I think you mean megawatt hours, that is the total amount of energy you get from something. Per means "for each" so megawatts per hour would have dimensions of energy/(time)^2.
>>
>>51489670
And would the consumer have bought a tesla if it cost $7500 more?
>>
>>51489561
Solar energy is very hard to convert and transport, because you cant place it anywhere. Sometimes you cant place it in a city. Like you can with fossile and nuke.

>>51489562
Construction cost is irrelevant. We are talking national grid here. Cheapest powerplant is fossile one, and in the long run, fossile powerplant, because of waste and maintaining and energy output, in the long run its the most expensive one.

In the long run, nuke and hydro are the cheapest. Initial cost is not a factor because powerplant pays itself off.

>>51489497
If you want facts, go to Germany and Spain. Both huge solar failures. USA might be on that list, with 2nd largest solar powerpland in the world, and yet such huge fossil dependency.

YOU CAN ONLY PUT SOLAR IN SPACE
DAMN IT PEOPLE
SOLAR IS ONLY FOR SPACE
OZONE LAYER, DAY/NIGHT CYCLE, DRY/HUMID PROBLEM, WINTER/SUMMER CYCLE

ONLY SOLVED IN SPACE
>>
>>51489736
Yes, because people buying Teslas don't need the rebate to begin with.
>>
>>51488822

it fucks up the local ecosystem its built in fagot, calm your tits. hydro is not a panacea either.

nuclear is ltierally the only way
>>
>>51489756
Nuclear plants and fossil fuel plants are very rarely right in cities here in the first world dumbass.
>>
>>51489769
Then the subsidy wouldn't be needed and therefore not exist and is just a waste of taxpayer money
>>
>>51489756
Why do you keep posting things that are scientifically false?

What the actual fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>51489810
But it's totally cool to subsidize oil, gas, and coal companies...

It's time for you to stop.
>>
Tesla Repays Department of Energy Loan Nine Years Early
Only American Car Company to Have Paid Back Government
22. Mai 2013

PALO ALTO, Calif.-- Tesla Motors announced that it has paid off the entire loan awarded to the company by the Department of Energy in 2010. In addition to payments made in 2012 and Q1 2013, today’s wire of almost half a billion dollars ($451.8M) repays the full loan facility with interest. Following this payment, Tesla will be the only American car company to have fully repaid the government.

For the first seven years since its founding in 2003, Tesla was funded entirely with private funds, led by Elon Musk. Tesla brought its Roadster sports car to market with a 30% gross margin, designed electric powertrains for Daimler (Mercedes) and had done preliminary design of the Model S all before receiving a government loan.

In 2010, Tesla was awarded a milestone-based loan, requiring matching private capital obtained via public offering, by the DOE as part of the Advanced Technology Vehicle Manufacturing program. This program was signed into law by President Bush in 2008 and then awarded under the Obama administration in the years that followed. This program is often confused with the financial bailouts provided to the then bankrupt GM and Chrysler, who were ineligible for the ATVM program, because a requirement of that program was good financial health.

The loan payment was made today using a portion of the approximately $1 billion in funds raised in last week’s concurrent offerings of common stock and convertible senior notes. Elon Musk, Tesla’s Chief Executive Officer and cofounder, purchased $100 million of common equity, the least secure portion of the offering. “I would like to thank the Department of Energy and the members of Congress and their staffs that worked hard to create the ATVM program, and particularly the American taxpayer from whom these funds originate,” said Elon Musk. “I hope we did you proud.”
>>
>>51489756
lel throwing a hissy fit because people won't accept your shitty demonstration of minor parasiting making solar jew impossible

you truly are a shame to your people
remove autist
>>
>>51489874
Are you implying I support that either?
>>
>>51489756
The amount of solar in Germany, Spain, and the US increases substantially every year while simultaneously getting cheaper.
>>
>>51488505
>The future is in nuclear energy. If used properly, there are no risks.
>If used properly

Get out Tepco shill
>>
>>51489911
Honestly, the German decision to get rid of nuclear was beyond idiotic.
>>
>>51489874
But we really haven't done that in 30 years.
>>
>>51489756
Really, solar panels don't work on Earth? Are you seriously fucking claiming that nonsense?

Good thing you're not involved in science, because we'd all be fucked.
>>
>>51489931
>beyond idiotic

Nah, it's been good for the solar industry.
>>
>>51489911
nuclear is the only realistic alternative to oil and coal tbqh
>>
>>51489911
Its not cold war era anymore. Computers no longer work on magnetic tapes. We have actual computers today. And with actual computers, using monte carlo integration, you can use nuclear power properly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Carlo_method

Hydro and nuke are the future. Solar is for spacecraft. And stuff above ozone layer, day/night cycle, dry/humid areas, winter/summer cycle.... damn I should really macro this piece of text to a key so I dont have to type it in or copy/paste it all the time.
>>
>>51489986
It's been bad for the environment. They had to make up for it by increasing coal use. There is nothing whatsoever wrong with nuclear power, especially with newer reactor designs. Germany just decided (wrongly) that fear-mongering was the way to go.
>>
>>51489986
And terrible for the germans

>>51489911
>plant has problems due to multiple factors acting at the same time and bad design
>let's completely stop using nuclear
>oops we don't produce enough energy
>buy some from france

Another one of those retarded Merkel "muh feelings" decision
>>
>>51489994
Satellites still have a day-night cycle moron. They just store the solar energy they produce.
>>
File: germanysolar.jpg (38 KB, 287x534) Image search: [Google]
germanysolar.jpg
38 KB, 287x534
>>51490016

Yeah but it's temporary. Solar is growing fast
>>
ITT: A Serb doesn't know that batteries exist.
>>
>>51490102
Yeah, because that doesn't ruin any positives solar have on the environment
>>
>>51490098
That doesn't mean that the anti-nuclear decision wasn't retarded. It objectively was.
>>
>>51490102
Batteries are absolute shit for storing massive amount of power
>>
>>51490033
>And terrible for the germans

Nah

>Germany isn't as sunny as many parts of the U.S; not even close. But Germany has a goal of producing 35 percent of its electricity from renewable sources by 2020 and 100 percent by 2050.

>And now for the first time ever, the country has succeeded at generating over 50 percent of its electricity from solar. On Monday June 9, which was a national holiday in Germany, solar power production peaked at 23.1 GW, which equaled 50.6 percent of total electricity demand.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/451299/germany-gets-50-percent-electricity-from-solar-first-time
>>
>>51490128
Solar + battery production is VASTLY less harmful to the environment that constant coal/oil/gas production.

I'm embarrassed for you if you don't understand that.
>>
>>51490149
No, not really. You just need a lot of them. There's nothing disadvantageous about it on a battery-by-battery basis.
>>
File: neindanke.png (35 KB, 352x352) Image search: [Google]
neindanke.png
35 KB, 352x352
>>51490140
>That doesn't mean that the anti-nuclear decision wasn't retarded. It objectively was.

In Germany people still remember Chernobyl and what happened in Japan just shocked them out of nuclear again.
>>
>>51490179
Who are both worse than nuclear

>>51490156
>1 minute 1 day of the year
Wanna guess what the production is 6 months later?
>>
>>51490102
>batteries
Retard alert. There is a very good reason no one has ever used batteries for a large scale energy storage. Google it. Retard.

>>51490045
Another retard alert. Google how hard it is to transport the energy around. Satellites do not have to worry about converting energy down to 220 volts and 12 amperes......

Oh and satellites do not use nowhere near the amount of electricity 1 fucking city uses.

No for real, you must be either retarded, or uneducated and have this solar pipe dream.
>>
>>51490230
>chernobyl
Literally a non argument
>fukushima
Doesn't apply for europe
>>
>>51490243
>Who are both worse than nuclear

Yes, without the storage problem nuclear has.
>>
>>51490230
Because they're willfully ignorant.

>>51490243
Nuclear isn't the sole answer. Solar isn't the sole answer. Wind isn't the sole answer. Stop fucking pretending like you only get to choose one.
>>
>>51490149
you don't need to store a massive amount of energy, for domiciliary use at least. I'd say 5kWh is enough.
>>
>>51490288
I am more worried about where to put all the ruined voltaics in ten years time, a modern nuclear plant don't even produce much waste
>>
>>51490259
> Google it
Said the guy who claimed solar literally doesn't work on Earth.

Blow your brains out for the good of humanity.
>>
>>51490156
Absolutely irrelevant

>>51490230
>in germany, people don't know shit about nuclear
Here I changed a few words while keeping the original meaning
>>
>>51490230
Conveniently forgetting all the accidents every other power source has suffered. It's anti-science nonsense.
>>
>>51490323
Solar panels can be easily recycled. Not that you even have to. They keep working for decades, just at lower capacity. Same with lithium ion batteries.
>>
>>51490270

You underestimate the anti nuclear loggy in Germany
>>
>>51490329
Doesn't work and not economical isn't the same thing
>>
>>51490384
Well, it makes the jews in france happy
>>
>>51490384

*lobby
>>
>>51488505
you're the arrogant physics undergrad or whatever, aren't you? christ you know you're a shit person when you can identify who you are on an anonymous image board based purely on how well your typing reads like pretentious shit
>>
>>51490385
Except there are a bunch of places where solar is actually the cheapest way to generate electricity. And more and more places get added to that list every year.
>>
>>51490329
Solar doesnt work on Earth. I know you never touched an electrical motor in industrial installation in your life, but lets just say its bigger then the one that makes your dildo vibrates.

To power up industries and factories and locomotives and so on, you need terawatt hours of power. Give me a call once you start running a manufacturing plant or something. And you power it with solar.

Might as well live in a cave, if you plan to use solar only. Your modern cities cant survive on solar. Which is why your modern cities do not use solar exclusively. Or at all (most of them).
>>
>>51488590
No /sci/ would be better
>>
>>51490421
I sure hope people like anon referred to are not physics undergrads...
>>
>>51490385
By that logic, every satellite should use nuclear decay power. Because that's a lot less weight (and therefore money) to launch than solar panels.
>>
>>51490434
Then why haven't the world switched years ago even with all the government subsidies?

Because it doesn't work outside those "bunch of places"
>>
>>51490468
My house is powered on solar you stupid fucking cunt. I literally don't have an electric bill anymore.

Tell me how I'm getting power, since the panels "aren't working" according to you and your claims that are proven wrong by the laws of physics.
>>
>>51490498
And suddenly we are in space again
>>
>>51490517
That doesn't counter what I said you illiterate dog shit nigger. Not even slightly.

It's a motherfucking fact that the number of places where solar has reached grid parity increases every year. None of your whiny faggotry can change that fact.
>>
>>51490534
Installation, maintenance and battery replacement.

Thats your bill.
>>
>>51490517
It a conspiracy from big oil, duh.
>>
>>51490587
Then post some sources m8
>>
>>51490592
Good job being financially wrong dipshit.

I don't pay a single dime in maintenance. I don't have a battery system yet (it's net metered). And the installation costs have already been made up for because I haven't had an electric bill in several years.

I know basic math is hard for you, but at least try.
>>
>>51490617
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grid_parity

It's full of references. Enjoy getting educated.
>>
>>51490684
>sweden
Maybe in the summer

Useless in the winter

Still need something else
>>
File: TeslaGigafactory.jpg (87 KB, 820x634) Image search: [Google]
TeslaGigafactory.jpg
87 KB, 820x634
>>51490468
>Give me a call once you start running a manufacturing plant or something. And you power it with solar.

>If Tesla’s Gigafactory can run on 100% renewable energy, why can’t others?
http://www.computerworld.com/article/2604352/if-tesla-s-gigafactory-can-run-on-100-renewable-energy-why-can-t-others.html

>This is what the other Gigafactory looks like
http://fortune.com/2015/08/12/solar-city-gigafactory-tesla-factory/

>Apple is investing $850 million to build a giant solar farm that will power its new headquarters
http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/10/8015185/apple-solar-one-solar-farm-renewable-energy

>Apple to Power 100% of Singapore Operations With Solar Energy
http://ecowatch.com/2015/11/17/apple-solar-singapore/
>>
>>51490517
If by "doesn't work" you mean the prices keep dropping each year, then sure.
>>
>>51490534
>my house

How many industrial motors does your house have, retard? All the domestic houses put together arent 10% of a city's electric consumption. Lights and heat is almost nothing. Motors consume almost all of the electric energy.

You cant power a city on solar, therefore solar practically doesnt work. Your shitty house doesnt matter. City doesnt spend electricity on your house. Manufacturing plants consume the electricity I am talking about. I said terwatt hours. That's industry.

There is a reason solar only city does not exist.
>>
>>51490735
Read the bottom asshole. You ignored nearly 2 dozen sources on that page alone.

You're just making yourself look more retarded with each post.
>>
File: 000ABLOLAER.jpg (52 KB, 302x464) Image search: [Google]
000ABLOLAER.jpg
52 KB, 302x464
>>51490761

#REKT
#ANALDEVASTATED
#TOLD
>>
>>51490799
Dude, its fucking dark here

Its literally useless half the year, and fucks up the grid the other half

Why do you need to be retarded to understand this?
>>
>>51490792
> moving the goalposts this much

No surprise coming from the ape that denies physics.
>>
>>51490761
>As admirable as it is for Tesla's battery factory to run 100% on renewable energy, it's currently not a viable option for most companies mainly because of the variability of renewable energy.

Tesla's 10 million square foot factory will be covered in solar panels, and be plugged into a nearby wind turbine farm and geothermal electricity plant, according to Tesla CEO Elon Musk.

Kek. its being boosted by geothermal. not only that its a fucking 10 million acre factory.
>>
>>51490761
Investing in solar is more of a publicity stunt because of the fucking idiots with 0 formal education on the matter. Oh and dont forget computer generated images.

What you are looking for are terawatt hours. TWh. That's the thing you are looking for. You wont find TWh on any solar propaganda piece, I assure you.

>50 GWh
>annual
>battery
>by 2020

ayy lmao / 10
Run me a factory with solar. Pro tip, you cant.
>>
>>51490835
You're not addressing facts. You're moving goalposts because you got proven wrong, even according to your own government.
>>
>>51487929
Solar is usually subsidized. Its rarely worth it if its not. You need to live somewhere with great light intensity to get any significant energy out of it. You are at the mercy of your government to buy the energy. In Spain they burned a lot of people who invested by changing the deal.

Dont do it.
>>
>>51490851
You were the one who started to talk about your house instead of industry

>>51490854
This, give me a proper baseline every day
>>
>>51490761
I haven't been following the thread at all. Saw the pic..

My question is: how can the Tesla name be whored out like this? It's disgusting.
>>
>>51490884
> accuses others of having zero formal education
> makes claims that that defy the laws of thermodynamics

Serbs everyone.
>>
>>51490854

Having a backup never hurts.
>>
>>51490887
>trusting the government
Nope

But I am addressing facts, you are the one who seem to ignore that solar isn't viable half the year literally because of the rotation of the earth
>>
>>51490884
>Run me a factory with solar. Pro tip, you cant.
ABB runs factories on solar. And even perpetually flying airplanes.

[X] dick in your mouth and time to shut the fuck up
[_] dick not in your mouth
>>
>>51490902
The faggot Serb made the general claim that solar didn't work at all on Earth.
>>
>>51490953
You're the one who says dozens of sources don't count just because you say so.
>>
File: tesla-elon-musk.jpg (17 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
tesla-elon-musk.jpg
17 KB, 480x360
>>51490910
>how can the Tesla name be whored out like this?

Le Afrikaner man of peace and hustice wants to make Tesla more famous than the American thief who stole his ideas. I see no problem with this.
>>
>>51490979
He made the arguement that its not economical, practical or useful enough on earth to replace anything

Because it fucking isn't, oh its cheap power? Guess who is going to keep the backup running with your tax money
>>
>>51491026
His faith is to be hated like Steve Jobs. (but he\s gonna be fucking rich xDDDD)
>>
>>51491012
>sources on wikipedia make the sun shine
>>
>>51491049
That's not the argument he made until he got proven wrong. You should try learning to read.
>>
>>51491095
Its what he fucking meant

>american education
>>
>>51491076
> still ignoring sources and hasn't provided a single one to back up his factually wrong claims

Back to Somalia, nigger.
>>
>>51491116
No, it's not. Because he stuck by the claim even after getting called out on it the first several times.
>>
>>51491076
Dude, you just explicitly proved the point he made about you.
>>
>>51491127
In northern Europe is is pitch black for half the year. The other half of the year its night time. Add in that it rains non stop.

Solar isnt viable in northern Europe which includes as far South as Northern France and Germany.
>>
>>51491049
If it's not economical at all, why is it the cheapest way to generate electricity in (for example) California; a place with 38 million people and a wide variety of biomes and weather patterns?
>>
>>51491212
>In northern Europe is is pitch black for half the year. The other half of the year its night time. Add in that it rains non stop.

Solar has been proven to be viable in Finland. It's not as dark as people think it is. In winter it's extremely bright due to sun light reflecting off the snow.
>>
>>51491265
>cheapest

Source on that claim
>>
>>51487929
Just use a calculator:

http://www.renewablelifestyles.ca/products-solar-electric-calculator.php

http://www.ecowho.com/tools/solar_power_calculator.php

http://pvwatts.nrel.gov/

There are tons of others as well.
>>
>>51491274
Define viable. Are they subsidizing it and buying power back from you or can you just buy a solar panel and get energy cheaper than if you buy from the grid?
>>
File: 4697Fig04.jpg (31 KB, 407x271) Image search: [Google]
4697Fig04.jpg
31 KB, 407x271
>>51491274
The problem is pic related. They can be as big as a house.. that's the thing that makes cars and so on, which country then goes to sell.

Your house might have a washing machine. That's it. That's probably the biggest motor your house has. But if we are talking national grid, solar simply cant work.
Solar is truly ideal for spacecraft but there is not a single industry on Earth that doesnt have diesel or nuke or hydro or coal or gas as its primary.......

Solar is struggling to even supply houses. And your average house has a washing machine and that's it when it comes to motors.
For motors, it is ideal to produce 'pure' powerful single current, monophase electricity, which solar simply cant.

And no country can live without its industry.
>>
>>51491274
>In winter it's extremely bright due to sun light reflecting off the snow.
do you put the panels facing the ground in finland?
>>
>>51491317
This should have been the first and last response in the thread.

It's super simple to calculate if solar is worth it for you.
>>
>>51491435
Valleys can funnel light I assume. Valleys have light for short periods of time.
>>
>>51491274
You have snow in finland?
Because we fucking don't, and light reflected from snow wont help photovoltaics.
>>
>>51490270
>Literally
>>51490304
>willfully
>>51490331
>Absolutely
>>51490363
>Conveniently
nukeshill samefag
>>
>>51491586
> a French person
> being anti-nuclear

What the fuck am I reading?
>>
File: jpg.jpg (4 MB, 5776x4184) Image search: [Google]
jpg.jpg
4 MB, 5776x4184
>>51491425
cant you put solar in the sahara? checkm8
>>
File: Sunshine.png (397 KB, 1920x976) Image search: [Google]
Sunshine.png
397 KB, 1920x976
>>51491757
>>51491425
>>51488505

Annual sunshine hours map of the world < 1200 h 1200-1600 h 1600-2000 h 2000-2400 h 2400-3000 h 3000-3600 h 3600-4000 h > 4000 h

#R E K T ROJAVA
>>
>>51491620
Probably an arab
>>
>>51491757
Transmission problems also now North African states own Europe.
>>
>>51491757
The sand would be one of many problems
>>
>>51488505
>Ozone layer blocks out 2/3 of Sun's energy, so there's that.
Australia wins again.
>>
>>51492506
>The sand would be one of many problems
put glass on top
not really http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/challenges-for-desert-solar-power/
>>
>>51492657
Would do jack shit about the sand in the air, moving sand dunes and storms.

Also glass get scratched
>>
All in all, only place for solar energy is internet message boards I guess.
Your house can barely theoretically function on that thing, there's no way in hell your industry can function on that thing, its flawed as hell.....

Its fun to think about it, to think about a solar powerplant put in space, like a satellite. Generating power through direct sunlight (photovoltaic) and transmitting it through concentrated method (laser), beaming it back to Earth. I guess. I dont know.

There are no solar powered industries in existence so far.
Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.