[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I had to get my winter tires put on and took a cab home today.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8
File: 14jJPXpX.png (18 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
14jJPXpX.png
18 KB, 256x256
I had to get my winter tires put on and took a cab home today. I always like sitting in the front unless I'm with another person, so I sat in the front and told him where I needed to go. I asked him where he is from, and he answers Afghanistan. I studied cultures and religion decades ago and I know how to greet and say thank you in many different languages.
So I say assalamu alaikum and he answers back walaikum salam. Standard greeting with most muslim people. My greeting means "Peace be upon you" and his means "and upon you Peace". In islamic cultures this greeting basically replaces hello, hi, good day, and goodbye. It is expected that muslims greet each other, and when greeted to greet someone back. Even if you're a white guy like me.
As always, when I say hello or thank you in the native tongue of someone, they generally open up right away and are curious about how I know it. I tell them about my education and that will always start a conversation with someone far more genuine and in-depth than just talking about the weather or who won the sports game last night. We can go more into my knowledge, or into their history and how they came to be in Canada.
>>
After the initial conversation I tell him that by knowing one or two words the native tongue of someone, I can have great conversations with anyone. He agrees and wants to know more about my thoughts on Islam. I tell him that from my experience all religions have similar foundations and say basically the same thing. The golden rule is found in all religions. Love each other is in all religions. If there is a god in the religion, then only god should be the one who judges people. They are all different paths to know yourself, where you fit in your culture , and give you a sense of community.
He agrees with what I said and then we pull up to my house. I ask to pay and put in my info. After it goes through I tell him that most people in the United States are far more hesitant talking about where they are from. I travel down there frequently and I've noticed this in most large cities. I tell him that I'm glad more people in Canada are open to talking about where they from and their culture.
He doesn't seem in a rush to go so I go right into it. I tell him I'm ashamed about how some Canadians are acting recently and it isn't something I identify with as a Canadian. That it makes me sad to see people reacting this way and it makes me worried. We're not as bad as some places in the United states, but we certainly have our own share of racism and xenophobia.
>>
He sits for a moment taking it all in and responds that he feels the same way about the terrorists in his mother country. He doesn't like being associated with the people who commit these crimes, who take certain passages out of the Koran and hold them higher than the rules to love your brother and to treat others how you would like to be treated. I tell him that I'm fortunate for my education, because really the people who hold these backwards views in Canada do so mostly out of ignorance. Fear fades away with understanding. He agrees and tells me that the same people who are reacting out in Canada and those terrorists in the middle east are the same types of people.
No love for their brothers and sisters. Ignorance leading their prerogative instead of understanding, acceptance, empathy, respect, and a mutual understanding of our humanity reflected in each other despite our differences. Extremist in varying forms.
The majority of us humans just want to get by, contribute in our own unique way, enjoy life, and share it with friends and family. We don't want to hurt people, because we don't want to be hurt either.
>>
n the Muslim faith it is expected that adherents be open and accepting of education in other religions. This is reflected in them incorporating the new and old testament into their holy books, and respecting former religious figures as prophets. Ignorance can be combated with education. I'm not scared of foreign cultures or religions because I have an understanding of them.
We need to stand collectively as all humans on earth against those who are extremists, in any form. Against those who do and don't look like us, who have different colour skin, and who may follow a different religion. You don't have to accept aspects of religion you don't agree with, in any faith. This doesn't mean we shouldn't be critical of aspects of religion, especially those that would lead to extremism. That said, the average Christian, Catholic, Muslim, Buddhist, Atheist, generally are well meaning people, and if we hold the golden rule as our highest value regardless of what we follow or how we identify ourselves, we will be a better and stronger nation because of it
>>
Fuck off Trudeau.
>>
TL;DR The average Christian, Catholic, Muslim, Buddhist, Atheist, generally are well meaning people, and if we hold the golden rule as our highest value regardless of what we follow or how we identify ourselves, we will be a better and stronger nation because of it. Treat others how you would like to be treated. Terrorists recruit more people based on their own ignorance turning into hate, promoting hate ourselves fuels their propaganda to get people mad and feel ostracized. By promoting tolerance and uniting together, we can stamp out extremism across the world. If you see someone being ignorant to another person who isn't white as the only reason why, speak up and say something or the only thing representing Canada will be the loudest voice.
>>
Yeah I'm not reading that, 8 decides what I read
>>
>>51040899
>>51040919
>>51040947
>>51040979
>>51041008
DUDE
>>
>>51041069
WEED
>>
>>
>>51041094
LMAO
>>
I don't know if this is a copypasta, but there's something amusing and depressing about someone posting about cultural understanding and then all the replies being meme one-liners.
>>
>>51041164
I MEAN COME ON IT'S 2015
>>
Shut the fuck up and go back to /r/canada.

The real world is nothing like that fantasy bullshit
>>
>>51041008
>TL;DR The average Christian, Catholic, Muslim, Buddhist, Atheist, generally are well meaning people

>Pew Research (2007): 26% of younger Muslims in America believe suicide bombings are justified.
>35% of young Muslims in Britain believe suicide bombings are justified (24% overall).
>42% of young Muslims in France believe suicide bombings are justified (35% overall).
>22% of young Muslims in Germany believe suicide bombings are justified.(13% overall).
>29% of young Muslims in Spain believe suicide bombings are justified.(25% overall).
http://pewresearch.org/assets/pdf/muslim-americans.pdf#page=60
>>
File: 1446991654844.jpg (24 KB, 378x293) Image search: [Google]
1446991654844.jpg
24 KB, 378x293
>>51040899
>>51040919
>>51040947
>>51040979
>>51041008
you expect me to read that
>>
>>
>>51040899
K
>>
>>51041332
This >>51041008 should give you the jist of it. Had to take a taxi and the driver was from Afghanistan, it was my experience and I wanted to share it with /int/.

Ignore the meme posters and guys like this >>51041302 >>51041351 who just hate for no reason.
>>
>>
>>51041332
Well, its not like you're from my country or anything. So read it ya fucking leaf.
>>
>>51041434
DUDE
BLOG
LMAO
>>
>>51041434
>polls answered by MUSLIMS
>hate
Topkek
How many Christians or Buddhists justify suicide bombing?
>>
>>51041464
Yeah, kinda got carried away. Would be hard to green text this shit, I would recommend everyone read this with all the Muslim hate going on.
>>
How many Christians support killing Christians who leave the church?
>>
>>51041008
THIS IS THE TRUE POWER OF MY NATIVE CANADA!!!!!!!!
>>
>>51041020
My Immortal
>>
>>51044003
Cheeky reroll
>>
>>51040899
>>51040919
>>51040947
>>51040979
>>51041008
>mudshit driving a taxi
>not a bro-tier sikh
at least line your memes up with reality
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.