[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
China Claims World’s Most Powerful Supercomputer 7th Year In
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: sunway.jpg (42 KB, 708x387) Image search: [Google]
sunway.jpg
42 KB, 708x387
China Claims World’s Most Powerful Supercomputer 7th Year In A Row

China has been named the home of the fastest supercomputer for the 7th year in a row.

But for the first time, and what makes this year’s choice unique, is the fact that this year’s winning computer has won using only Chinese designed processors.

The computer based in the National Supercomputing Center in Wuxi, and named Sunway TaihuLight was designed and developed by the Chinese National Research Center of Parallel Computer Engineering & Technology.

With an ability to process 93 petaflops that also makes it just about three times faster than the previous record setter, the Tianhe-2, also Chinese, which was clocked at being able to process 33.85 petaflops.

The TaihuLight can perform approximately a quadrillion calculations a second, which is much faster than the Tianhe-2, built with US designed processors can achieve. In theory, the TaihuLight could achieve peak a peak performance of 124 petaflops.

That China has been trying to develop a 100 petaflop system (or close enough for it not to really matter) isn’t exactly new, well, news, but it was widely anticipated that the Chinese would use US based Intel company chips to reach the fabled 100 petaflop barrier.
>>
Bad move on the part of the US

However, the US banned Intel from shipping the Xeon chips to Chinese super computer manufacturers last year because they claimed that last year’s winner, the Tianhe-2 was being used for predictive simulations to do with nuclear explosive experiments.

The irony of the embargo is that China just went ahead and upped its own processor development.

As well as claiming the top spot for the world’s most powerful supercomputer for yet another year, 2016 also marks the first year that China has surpassed the US for the first time as being the country with highest number of the world’s most powerful supercomputers, albeit only just. The US has 165, China has 167.

Other countries to make the top 10 included Japan, Germany, Switzerland, and Saudi Arabia.
>>
How is it a race when America is talking about the distant future, while China is doing it RIGHT now?

The US ban has merely delayed China by a mere matter of months, and instead of one exascale with US tech, as China's upgrades would have ben this year, 2016 will use not just one domestically designed product, but likely a different one for each project, in addition to Chinese designed technology and advancements.

If anything, the US's schizophrenic, paranoid foreign policies have just helped speed up Chinese advanced tech development and adoption, and caused the US lose quite a contract and gain competitors.
>>
Well the Chinese children go to school 7 days a week so.

Including homework, yes. Chinese always have endless homework to do.

Smarter than you are.
>>
China owns the US.

The US is owned by China.
>>
good for China... i hoping to see some great advances in medical and tech fields in the coming years...
>>
>>61348861
This is great news. Should mean the market is more competitive now.
>>
Can it play Cyrsis 1?
>>
>>61349148
Kek, buttpaine much
>>
>>61348880
>>61348931
>>61348970
>>61349013
>>61349060
How much are you getting paid?
>>
>>61349198
not your concern
>>
it can probably boot with a FOSS bios too lol
>>
I bet it cant runescape on the lowest graphics settings
>>
>>61348861
Yeah, shit is pretty cash. Having their own processors is a leap for the Chinese semiconductor industries.

But the real achievement is to write the software to fuse the operation of over ten million CPUs and to connect each of them with the memory. That's the real deal in both Tianhe-2 and the Taihu Light.

Studying IT Neuronal Networks myself, I'm pretty damn impressed by that.
>>
but can it play minecrft
>>
File: 1465739872851.jpg (65 KB, 550x750) Image search: [Google]
1465739872851.jpg
65 KB, 550x750
>most powerful computer in the world
>can't do anything with it because you live in a communist dictatorship
>>
File: largest in the world China FAST.jpg (150 KB, 980x735) Image search: [Google]
largest in the world China FAST.jpg
150 KB, 980x735
>>61349561
It can do calculations for China's next generation of miniaturized nuclear warheads.

Or, like, signal processing for their new built FAST antenna, for the search for Ayy Lmao.
>>
This sounds like another vanity project to get someone in the party promoted. Massively parallel computing is extremely hard to do without hitting software bottlenecks.

I would be more impressed if someone came out with a processor that can operate above 10Ghz without requiring massive cooling.
>>
>>61349763
This is actually much more impressive.
>>
>>61349763
Ayyy lmao research is such a huge waste of money.

Literally burning money for 0 (zero) benefit.
>>
>>61350230
That's why it's run mostly on donations and crowd sourced projects like SETI@home.
It's still an interesting field of research, what if we really pick up a signal that is undoubtedly artificial in origin?
>>
>>61350079
>Massively parallel computing is extremely hard to do without hitting software bottlenecks.

And this is why that both Chinese supercomputers are impressive, because they figured out the solution for the software bottlenecks.

Taihu with 10 million cores, and Tianhe with 3 million cores; both require an extremely capable software.
>>
>>61349763
>Antenna
I suppose there is an antenna in there,
but it's a radio telescope
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.