[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
British Overseas Territories: their fate?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: memes.png (384 KB, 1280x789) Image search: [Google]
memes.png
384 KB, 1280x789
Hello lads. I have some serious/general questions about the British Overseas Territories, with respect to Brexit.

You Euros have been having hot discussions about further fragmentation for the past 24 hours, as is your wont. I'm just interested to discuss the possibilities in a general way.

I'm going to muse a bit in the sequel. All are invited to comment but try to keep it halfway intelligent/informative.
>>
File: Autism!.png (197 KB, 1984x1736) Image search: [Google]
Autism!.png
197 KB, 1984x1736
First of all, the UK has 3-6 territorial things (depending on how you want to count) in the immediate vicnity of Europe: The Channel Islands (Guernsey, Jersey, Isle of Man), Gibraltar, and the Soverign Base Areas on Cyprus (Akrotiri, Dhekelia). I have already verified per wiki that Gibraltar is the only British Overseas Territory (BOT) which is part of the EU, so that answers my first question about the Base Areas: those will continue. Furthermore, it make sense to still have an "Akrotiri and Dhekelia", since what remains of responsible Western civilization has an interest in maintaining a base to listen in on the Davids and Farroqs not already in our countries, situated in a strategic spot where the locals can't mount a meaningful opposition.

Or can they? Is this an opportunity for Cyprus to move in on the Base Areas? Would it be tolerated? Cyprus is the most cuckolded island on earth (5 partitions), at the confluence of three continents, so this isn't likely.

Don't the Dependencies participate in the EU in some way shape manner or form? What of them?

Will Argentina get restive and try something foolish?

Why not just close down Pitcairn outright and stop the evil? Maybe leave a garrison as a science station, no women or children though.

This is an interesting "clay-reorganization" opportunity moment for all sides, it seems.
>>
>>61266569
Brexit does not really affect British overseas territories excluding Gibraltar and maybe that piece in Cyprus. Yeah, they had EU citizenship with UK, but I doubt it mattered that much for them.
>>
TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS RIGHTFUL CANADIAN CLAY
>>
Britain will grow larger
>>
>>61266673
>Or can they? Is this an opportunity for Cyprus to move in on the Base Areas?
No, it's not likely. Leaving aside the fact that the Republic of Cyprus is mostly worried about Turkey and the TRNC, they have always restricted their actions to grumbling about colonialism. Secondly, we're talking about a fully-armed, functional military base, not a chunk of territory with a native population. Think Guantanamo Bay rather than the Falklands or Goa.

>Don't the Dependencies participate in the EU in some way shape manner or form? What of them?
The Channel Islands and the Isle of Man take part in the EU freedom of movement of goods but not people, services or capital.

>Will Argentina get restive and try something foolish?
Them and what navy? They haven't upgraded it since the 1980s. Jesus christ the one modern destroyer they sent down there could sink everything in the South Atlantic without issues. Plus the current bloke in charge seems saner than Kirchner, but that's not hard.

>Why not just close down Pitcairn outright and stop the evil? Maybe leave a garrison as a science station, no women or children though.
Christ, I don't know. It's literally the arse-end of nowhere. I think there were vague plans to give it to the Kiwis at some point, but they must have fallen through.
>>
File: 1373997434697.png (11 KB, 390x330) Image search: [Google]
1373997434697.png
11 KB, 390x330
>>61266569
Merge the Crown Dependencies with England. Keep Antarctica territory because why not. Sell the rest to the highest bidder. Give Scotland and Northern Ireland the boot.
>>
>>61266882

Thank you for a thoughtful series of answers. It reminds me of another Brit I've talked to on here (you) about the territories. I once floated the outsider idea of would it make any sense to style Gibraltar as a crown dependency (given its history and proximity to everything), and he gave a thoughtful reply with lots of details that I don't remember about why that's not necessary or particularly desirable from a British perspective.

Let me push it one step further, since the Home Countries are also speculatively implicated in all this: Rockall? :^)
>>
>>61267051

the (you) here is intended with a question mark, inviting a response to the specific point (was that you?) , not as a declaration.
>>
>>61266569
Turks and Caicos go to Canada
Cayman Islands go to Jamaica
Anguilla and the BVI join the USVI
Montserrat goes to St. Kitts
St. Helena et al go to South Africa
The Falklands go to Chile
Pitcairn goes to New Zealand
Gibraltar becomes independent and joins the EU
The British Indian Ocean Territory goes to the Seychelles
>>
They, like the Romans in Britain will be told to look to their own affairs.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.