[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I recently completed this language course as an audiobook.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: cover170x170.jpg (8 KB, 170x170) Image search: [Google]
cover170x170.jpg
8 KB, 170x170
So I recently completed this language course as an audiobook. It was pretty good but the only problem I have with it is it only teaches touristy shit like how to book a hotel room or where to find the market place. I want to continue learning German but because it only teaches touristy shit I don't feel like I'd be good enough for a pen pal just yet.

How should I proceed?
>>
>>60331752
Take a college level course at a college or a language school. Hate to say it senpai, but the only way to become fluent at a language is you need guidance and instruction from a legitimate native speaker with teaching experiences. Sure, one can master a language on his own through self-learning tools such as pimsluer or duolingo, but those things only teach you basic phrases without any knowledge of grammar, punctuation, or practical writing/listening skills and only confine your knowledge at a baby-step level. I was like that in Spanish as well. Only learning the basic through pimssluer anf duolingo until I decided to take spanish courses in college. I'm 70% fluent now and still learning it.
>>
>>60331857
I'm not particularly interested in learning German fluently, I just don't want to completely stop learning it. I'm looking to continue learning bits of it at my computer. I've got a few friends who have learnt English purely through the internet and I was hoping to do the same with German
>>
>>60331996
>I'm not particularly interested in learning German fluently, I just don't want to completely stop learning it.
Rosetta stone or duolingo might work. Not being interested in being fluent but continuing to learn sounds a bit off. Deuche Welle has a free learning program here: http://www.dw.com/en/learn-german/s-2469 if you are interested.

> I've got a few friends who have learnt English purely through the internet and I was hoping to do the same with German
That won't be easy with German or any other languages. English is very easy and universal on the internet as well as Anglo-culture (movies, games, .etc) have a more spread influence in other countries. So non-English people have an easier time and pace in learning English.
>>
>>60332136
>Not being interested in being fluent but continuing to learn sounds a bit off.
I only started learning it because I was bored and to see how I'd get on with it. I did pretty well on the course so it seems a bit of a shame to just stop and gradually forget everything it taught me. It's more of a hobby than anything else.

Point taken about learning English. Ill check all that stuff out. Thanks for the advice
>>
>>60331857
Bullshit. I learned French by myself then got thrown immediately in a French speaking environment. Needless to say I became fluent without the help of an instructor.
>>
>>60332512
Every person is different. But like I said achieving fluency normally requires learning at a stepping-stone level with guidance and instruction from a native speaker that can teach you the backbone and the grammatical structures of the language. Needless to say some people do learn languages on their own but it takes a long time and not being surrounded by an environment of speakers or not knowing the background/cultural aspect of the language can be disadvantageous.
>>
You don't learn a language from audiobooks or internet quizes.

Fucking anglos, when will they learn?
>>
I have zero knowledge of that course you did but I can only assume you have a decent sized vocabulary and basic grammar under your belt.

how to move forward? Read. A lot.

I'm tired but I'll go through my bookmarks and post some German stuff for you that should be around your reading level (easiest to hardest (kinda)).
http://www.nachrichtenleicht.de/startseite.1899.de.html
http://www.deutsch-perfekt.com/nachrichten
http://www.huffingtonpost.de/
http://www.spiegel.de/

Some books you should give a try (easiest to hardest (kinda)):
Anything by Christine Nöstlinger
Tintinherz by Cornelia Funke
Harry Potter
Der Sandmann
Im Westen Nichts Neues
Das Parfüm

For the record, I'm learning German on my own and after abandoning actual courses in favor of reading I'm at B1 level (new vocab is the hardest for me to retain).
>>
>>60332632
What you need to do is buy a couple study books. Do the assignments and study the word lists in the back of the book by putting your hand on one of the translations. Then proceed on to the next word. And when you fail a word you do the entire list again.

Then you can go for immersion by a. watching German tv, b. listening to German music and radio c. reading German books d. shitposting in German e. playing video games in German f. following the German news online

Audiobooks can be a tool to refresh your knowledge or to learn some new words, but it's a very slow and limited method of learning. It can help with the pronunciation though.

Same goes for Duolingo. It goes way too slow.
>>
>>60332763
Although, you could listen to audiobooks with German literature. I mean, surely there must be some audiobooks from the Brothers Grimm or something.
>>
>>60332818
There's a truckload of audio books in German of German novels.

http://www.loyalbooks.com/language/German
>>
>>60332887
I just noticed YouTube is also filled with them. Which you could just download with an mp3 downloader or something.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.