[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fellow Canucks, What is the best and cheapest way to learn functional
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 2000px-Flag_of_Quebec_(1-2).svg.png (29 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Flag_of_Quebec_(1-2).svg.png
29 KB, 2000x1000
Fellow Canucks,

What is the best and cheapest way to learn functional French (for employment and literature purposes). More importantly, how do I learn French without getting that nasty Quebecer accent?

People who speak French in any country, I'd appreciate your suggestions as well.
>>
>>59861624
>What is the best and cheapest way to learn functional French
By immersion I think, if you just start learning it, it can get boring pretty fast.
>More importantly, how do I learn French without getting that nasty Quebecer accent
First of all if you speak french without a québécois accent in Canada you'll be the one having an accent, québécois french is the regular french there.

You can try to watch some french videos or something like that to get an idea of our pronounciation, you can also find some videos about the differences of pronounciation between QC french and France french pretty easily on youtube. Also I believe people in Montréal tend to have a less strong accent than in the rest of Québec, so it might help you as well.
>>
File: 1460963080491.png (28 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
1460963080491.png
28 KB, 650x650
was going to answer until i read "nasty Quebecer accent"
>>
Best and cheapest? well, you'll need to learn the basics first in any case.
After this, download movies, series or any stuff that have French subs to learn how to read fast in French and translate it without thinking.
Then, start watching movies or streams in French, and you should slowly begin to understand most of what you're listening to.

I watch US sports streams, and I learned more about spoken English this way than I ever learned studying. And it was cheap as fuck.

Don't download French subbed anime, they're insanely shit for the most part.
>>
>>59861624
>how do I learn French without getting that nasty Quebecer accent?
have you ever learned any language at all? because it sounds like you haven't

Regardless of how or where you learn, at first you'll strictly have an anglo accent. It's only when you're more advanced that it begins to make a difference, but even there it's still very limited and very easily reversible. Only once you've been completely immersed for years will really have a more definite and fixed accent which isn't just an Anglo accent.
>>
>>59861782
Thanks lad. I can't really afford to just move to Quebec, I suppose I'll keep watching movies with French captions.
>>59861874
It's /int, aren't meme's mandatory? Please respond!
>>
>>59861973
I'm """Persian""" but I get what you're saying. There's tons of Iranians in France who speak French without the hint of a major accent. Iranians speaking English though, whole other story...unfortunately
>>
>parents didn't send me to a french immersion school
thanks for nothing
>>
>>59862498
This.

However, every one of my friends who did French immersion has basically forgotten everything.
>>
>>59862498
I dropped out of french in gr. 10. Probably wasn't a wise decision, but I was a dumb kid at the time.
>>
>>59861984
immersion. learn the basics, go to a school in québec or in wherever you live, travel in or work around french speakers, watch the news every night in French if you get that channel.
>>
>>59861973
this desu, idk what the fuck is going on with anglos thinking you can learn quebecois

otherwise watching shows could help, kaamelott season 1-2-3 are pretty great
>>
>>59862737
>kaamelott season 1-2-3 are pretty great
All the books are awesome t b h, but the jokes are often puns so I doubt a learner can understand all the jokes, plus they use a lot of slang, which doesn't help either.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.