[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stimulating art communities
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: mlem.jpg (569 KB, 610x950) Image search: [Google]
mlem.jpg
569 KB, 610x950
Been browsing every pages and couldn't find something quite related to what I'm looking for, so here goes:

I used to go on dA as a teenager and moved on to Tumblr and Instagram as I grew tired of the whole circlejerking tendency of dA.

I've gotten many followers and whatnot, but nobody talks to me, or critiques my work. I want interaction with people and a sense of community, as just posting art to get as many reblogs gets incredibly boring and unstimulating.

Where should I go to have actual interaction with people without having to constantly draw fan art/whore my everyday life and post selfies throughout my blog to make myself more relatable?
>>
Here.
>>
>>2593340
You could join a Skype group, if you're looking for more interaction

I happen to mod one. We have a weekly drawing theme, so you'll actually have to draw to stay in, which prevents lurks.
Post your skype ID if interested.
>>
>>2593418

I never heard of that before, is there something to do with video/audio?

Definitely interested though, the pressure to draw would be a great incentive.
>>
>>2593428
We have Google hangouts from time to time, but it's nothing mandatory.

Only thing is the weeklies, after not submitting one for a month, you will be kicked. Other than that you can talk about art, get crit or even talk about completely unrelated things as people tend to do here.
>>
>>2593430

Okay, well I'm down. Only thing is I'm uncomfortable sharing my Skype here. Mind sharing yours?
>>
>>2593437
pixell3af
>>
>>2593438

Thanks!

That said, I'd still love to know if there's any other outlet. Are forums and IRC channels even a thing anymore?
>>
>>2593451
I need to sleep now, so if you decide to add me, I'll talk to you tomorrow.
>>
File: BUT_WHERE_COULD_THERE_BE.png (212 KB, 559x343) Image search: [Google]
BUT_WHERE_COULD_THERE_BE.png
212 KB, 559x343
>>2593340
>>
I had the same problem OP! My problem is that I used to admire a lot of those artists on those sites and eventually I got to their level and stagnated because all I could see was people of my own skill level and I kind of stopped looking up to other artists. I also have a lot of followers and get to the front page often but it doesn't mean anything when I'm so unhappy with my current level of skill.
It was actually in a thread here someone mentioned a site called artstation and I've only been using it a few days but it's nice! Kind of like a cross between dA and conceptart in my opinion. It's like a bizarro dA where on dA 90% is utter shite and 10% is good, on artstation I feel 90% is decent-really great, and 10% is meh (not even that bad). It's really encouraging and if you're like me it might encourage you to step your game up a little bit to fit in with the skill level there.
The only thing is that I don't see forums? I wish there were some but even without them being in a professional environment is really nice and definitely what I needed, anyway.
>>
>>2593345
>>2593898

4chan had its interest when I was 16. Now, I would rather be part of a community of equally open minded artists and don't have the energy or time to filter the butthurt bullshit.

>>2593928

Right, I've been told about artstation for doing portfolios as a concept artist. It's interesting, but like you said the social aspect of it doesn't seem very present, which is essentially the only thing I'm missing.
>>
why don't YOU start a conversation?

you could ask an artist you like if they would critique your work
>>
>>2594227

I do try to build courage and ask people for art trades or projects and critiques, but at individual level it's always a bit awkward in my opinion. Something more established makes it easier and allows for constant feedback, and less of an intrusive process.
>>
>>2594220
LAS
>>
>>2593438
not OP but can I join?
>>
>>2594254
>LAS
>social aspect
Aside from shitposting and memes there isn't much, especially for newcomers
>>
>>2594220
>>Now, I would rather be part of a community of equally open minded artists and don't have the energy or time to filter the butthurt bullshit.
>tl;dr: I don't have a backbone
>>
>>2594279
there is outside those threads but you gotta look for it, so you are still correct, its not so easy for newcomers
>>
>>2593430

Does anyone know a group like this that is focused on NSFW art?
>>
Is there a bar where artist tend to go where you live? Is there a local culture newspaper with events and such? I'd suggest hanging out with some friends and talking about art (If you are in university or highschool then there may be some art courses or whatever you could take to find people) Curator tours of shows are also great for discussion.
>>
>>2594505

We have a big community and I've been meaning to make efforts to join in the zine / independant artist community as it is pretty big here, but I'm an awkward potato and I'm not socially confident enough, eh.
>>
>>2594769
Then it's not only a good opportunity to discuss art but also a chance to practice your social skills. From my experience, confidence only comes from letting yourself be open to your fears and pushing yourself further even when you feel like the biggest, sweatiest idiot.
>>
>>2594428
good stuff. it completely complies to \ic\ crit!
>>
File: brain surgery.png (974 KB, 861x505) Image search: [Google]
brain surgery.png
974 KB, 861x505
>>2596076
>>
>>2594428
I don't see how this relates to ic at all. The destructive critics threads here are just "IT'S SHIT OHHH WHOLOLOOO"… The normal crit threads are very friendly and positive.
>>
>>2599396

^
>>
>>2594428
so edgy
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.