[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does oil painting work on bristol board (or drawing paper) ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: f5725318276913.562c6cc112b28.jpg (82 KB, 600x390) Image search: [Google]
f5725318276913.562c6cc112b28.jpg
82 KB, 600x390
Does oil painting work on bristol board (or drawing paper) ?
I just remembered that I still had my little box with oil paint and I could start painting again even if I'm not really good with colors.
>>
You should first have to coat the entire surface with oil, either toned or plain. This is because if there is a patch of oil color, over the course of time the oil from it will creep out of its edge. I find the best way in working on paper is to add light colors and dark colors on to a toned surface, having more body in the light colors and some sort of thick medium (resin or oil) with the dark.The colors will sink in after drying and you can apply glaze over the dark to make them as you see fit.

I can't guarantee it will be archival.
>>
>>2587907
I don't know anything about the materials to be honest. I just have brushes and tubes of oiled paint
I also have a flask of something who is supposed to make the whole thing "glossy"
>>
>>2587887
I'm not an expert, but I do know that oil paint will ruin bare canvas over time, eventually destroying the work.

You should apply an acrylic gesso to the paper, just like you would with canvas.
>>
>>2589041
He's a noobie. His art being destroyed over time will be a good thing.
>>
>>2589229
I disagree; better to always come to the easel with your A-game. Don't let lazy habits creep into your work.

If you really want to destroy your early work, do it intentionally.
>>
I think I 'll just buy some canvas and oil paint on it.
I practiced oil paint casually for a year, I have materials but I just don't know about all the oils, the products and stuff.
I just used the painting tubes and did my thing on canvas without minding
>>
just put a nice layer of gypsum over it
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.