[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Back pain/ ergonomics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: backache12668169_M.jpg (101 KB, 692x692) Image search: [Google]
backache12668169_M.jpg
101 KB, 692x692
I'm really hoping I can get some help from you guys here. Basically whenever I'm drawing traditionally for more than an hour or two I keep getting back pain around my neck/trap area.

I have an adjustable drafting table and I've tried pretty much every posture and tilt on the thing from 0 to 90 degrees , I've tried taking breaks every half an hour and still have the same problem of back pain.

If I work on my tablet I don't have nearly the same problem which Is I think due to being able to draw with my arm flat on a surface while looking straight at my screen. While traditional drawing I'm forced for either my neck to be in a shitty position or my arm to be unsupported.

It's sad because I'm actually in decent shape, Im not some 50 year old fat fuck who's been drawing for 35 years.

If you guys can't help me I'm forced to be a digital tablet fag, I don't even think I could use a cintiq since it'd have a similar problem.
>>
>>>/fit
>>
>>2544176

was hoping to get some help from artists who had similar problems.
>>
>>2544281
>>>/fit/

I had wrist/back/arm/neck whatever problems until I started lifting moderately and they're all gone now.
>>
>>2544416
This.
I had the same problem. Now i'm not a very muscolar person, but after a couple of days of lifting plus general gym exercises i started feeling a new person, and i'm young. If you can't afford a gym, just start lifting and running at home for an hour at day
>>
>>2544167
>casual spine

never gonna make it
>>
>>2544167
>I have an adjustable drafting table and I've tried pretty much every posture and tilt on the thing from 0 to 90 degrees , I've tried taking breaks every half an hour and still have the same problem of back pain.

have you tried, like, your spine at
>pretty much every posture and tilt on the thing from 0 to 90 degrees
I heard it's pretty adjustable too
>>
File: studentUnionHome480.jpg (51 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
studentUnionHome480.jpg
51 KB, 480x480
>>2544167
Your spine should be about as straight as it is when you're standing up/walking. If the drawing surface is more horizontal, your butt needs to be farther away from the table.

Every morning do a little exercise, stretching and some push-ups, squats, etc. Also, go for a run about thrice a week to get some fresh air. It does wonders to your body overall.
>>
have you guys tried using a standing desk? i was literally using a laptop on the top part of the island kitchen for over a year until got a standing desk. its great for keeping your posture in line

also if its your neck trap area you're probably either in an unhealthy position or your tightening your muscles without thinking about it. start stretching
>>
File: 1460023722588.jpg (37 KB, 223x289) Image search: [Google]
1460023722588.jpg
37 KB, 223x289
>>2544425
>>
>>2544419
So true man, but one thing stays true in all situations. USE PROPER FORM. CHECK. DON'T ASSUME

When I first began running I hit the ground with my heels, a few weeks later I had intense pain in my lower back. Soon switched to the mid-foot strike with good form and while my calves burned like coals for a good few days it was so worth it
>>
>>2544624
>mid-foot
wait, it isn't suppose to be the big finger but the bump behind it? wow, ty anon
>>
>>2544416
>>2544490
>>2544624

Thanks for advice, I'll try lifting starting today and see how it works.

>>2544425

>casual spine
>never gonna make it

that's what I feel like lmfao, I know there's fat fuck artists who have less problems than me XD.
>>
Check out the mobility part of the fit sticky (Mobility wod, etc). They should have some posture stuff in there as well.

If it's not in the sticky someone should be able to point you to some resources in a qtddtot or posture related thread.
>>
>>2544167
something nobody mentioned yet, but how old is your bedding? Like, new matress, proper lumber support, good pillow? I used to have pains like that for a bunch of time and changed what I slept on, suddenly, everything went better.
>>
>>2544630
That's about mid-foot isn't it?
>>
Just an update in case others had same problem, I started using better form and exercising around 1 hour+ a day, bought some free wights and did back exercises+biking/running.

My back and shoulder is definitely a shit ton better now, I don't think you can get rid of every pain but Im gonna have to keep exercising everyday now a good amount if I want to keep drawing.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.