[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Don't use a tablet to sketch for the longest time >Wip
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
>Don't use a tablet to sketch for the longest time
>Wip out an ok gesture with pencil/paper in 2 mins
>Get pic related with same pose on a tablet
What is it about the tablet? Obviously people should draw digitally, is it the lack of friction?
>>
Most people need somewhere from a couple hours to a week to get used to the dynamic of looking at the screen cursor when you draw. Also your lines aren't as confident as they should be (or as they are in the pencil sketch).
>>
>>2523937
hahahaha
>>
>lack of friction
thats easily solveable. i attached a paper from my sketchbook on top of my tablet so it feels much more natural. recently tried removing it - it still feels odd to draw on that non-friction shiny area.
>>
You naturally think more about the lines on paper probably because they're more 'permanent'.

>>2523940
Also this, it takes a while to get back into it having not used a tablet in a long time.
>>
>>2523947
holy hell you're a genius, thank you
>>
>>2523956
It used to be a common thing people did, but by now I think most people just are used to painting on the surface of the tablet. Careful too about using paper like that because it will wear down your stylus nib way faster.
>>
>>2523958
But it could prevent scratches, right?
>>
>>2523968
why do you care about scratches? the thing is a tool like a hammer or a pair of pliers
>>
>>2523968
Your tablet shouldn't really be scratched from drawing, at least not deep gouges. I've used my tablet for years now and it's sort of worn the surface a bit so it is all shiny and reflective instead of matte, but it's still smooth to the touch and doesn't look or feel all scratched up by any means.
>>
>>2523971
Mine does have scratches on it because I drew while my nibs were worn out (unknowingly ofcourse)
>>
>>2524037
When it was new, I tried to draw with full pressure. So i had a face visible on the tablet for the longest fucking time until everything around it also got worn out.
>>
I've noticed that when sketching it helps to have the sensitivity turned way down. It makes it feel a lot more like a pencil because you actually have to press down to make a decent mark.
>>
>>2524047
There was a guy on conceptart years ago that did daily self portraits for over two years. He once posted a photo of his tablet and it had worn in a ghost image of his face on it.
>>
File: regards.jpg (54 KB, 640x560) Image search: [Google]
regards.jpg
54 KB, 640x560
>>2523937
>Obviously people should draw digitally
>>
I tried replicating how i drew on paper to drawing on a tablet. Don't use small brush sizes use a decent size like 20 to draw.
>>
I use a yiynova and there's no friction at all, my line control is far below my traditional control, cintiqs are far better in comparision in that matter
>>
>>2524048
but you dont press down on pencils. You's supposed to do light strokes at first for the rough drawing
>>
>>2524389

I think what he means is it permits you to do light marks with a normal amount of pressure.
>>
quit focussing on the contours so much when doing gestures
>>
>>2524425

His drawing on the left is just fine. In fact, it's quite good. Not all gesture drawings need to be done the exact same way, the importance is in quickly capturing something.
>>
>>2524425
it's a 2 min gesture so isn't that ok? i can see what you mean if it was a 30s
>>
>>2523937

>obviously people should draw digitally

doubt.jpg
>>
- Friction
- Co-ordination
- Manipulating the orientation of a tablet vs a piece of paper (shape/size difference, weight, firmness, limitations through things such as cords / location of buttons / grip areas underneath the tablet / etc)
- The ease of being able to undo a mistake, probably makes the brain more lazy because its being rewarded with a "rewind" option so quickly and effortlessly
- If you spent a lot of money on your tablet, you might subconsciously treat it a bit more delicately than a sheet of paper
- Digital brushes (eg. if you make one that emulates pencil correctly, vs. the default solid round brush)

Also nibs feel weird as fuck compared to pencil led. Even with a piece of paper over my tablet, it feels really shit, no matter what type of nib I try.

I also get the feeling that having buttons on my tablet pen makes my brain try to avoid hitting them by accident.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.