[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /ic/ I'm interested in trying to get an art mentor and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Sanzio_01_Plato_Aristotle.jpg (187 KB, 804x1052) Image search: [Google]
Sanzio_01_Plato_Aristotle.jpg
187 KB, 804x1052
Hey /ic/ I'm interested in trying to get an art mentor and was wondering what might be a good way to go about doing it. I figure that just asking someone would be presumptuous.
>>
>>2521430
Mentorships don't really exist in the same way that it used to. I doubt you'll find someone skilled willing to mentor you for free. It would be an extremely rare situation if it happened.
>>
>>2521435
I'm not really in need of instruction (I have a lot to improve on but I already have a lot of resources that I am learning from), I just rather need someone to talk to get advice from and their opinion on how I'm progressing or what direction to go in. And I'm not expecting this for free, I'm completely willing to pay, in fact I'd rather pay to be honest.
>>
>>2521444
Do you want it in person or via the internet? There are some paid mentorship things online that exist, but I forget who runs them and what they're called. Maybe another anon can chime in.

Otherwise you can try sending emails to people you admire and hope they are willing to take you up on your offer (if you pay then they are more likely to do it).
>>
>>2521464
I'm ok with either, I haven't done too much looking around my local area yet (I live in oregon). I've checked out some of the online ones though. I sent an email to steven silver because he was advertising it on his youtube channel but our times don't mesh. I know watts advertises 1 on 1 coaching but I feel that I would only get the most out of it if I was following their lesson plans.

I could try emailing people like you suggest. I only would have to figure out what would be a good rate to suggest (or I could leave it up to them to offer) and who exactly to email. Most artists that I really like are japanese or dead so that makes it a bit tricky.
>>
>>2521473
Just remembered that Rebecca Guay started a program of mentorship with her and a bunch of other artists: http://www.rebeccaguay.com/mentorships.html
>>
>>2521444
I say Istebrak on YouTube is good for that.
>>
>>2521493
It seems like she focuses mostly on paintovers, which is fine but I'm taking my learning kind of slow. I'm going through that 1 year of fundamentals guide that's been posted on here before, and I'm not really looking at portfolio review stuff yet. Maybe I should try contacting the guy who made the guide? The name written on it is Aguri but I can't seem to find him on the internet.

>>2521479
This looks great, but my time is pretty limited since I'm working full time. Plus I don't think I'm at a level where I would get that much out of their programs. I would probably get "go grind fundamentals" as my critiques.
>>
>>2521509
>Plus I don't think I'm at a level where I would get that much out of their programs. I would probably get "go grind fundamentals" as my critiques.
Then you'll get that anywhere you go. It's probably best to spend 2 or 3 years working on your own first before looking into mentorships.
>>
>>2521515
I'm about 2 years into my art journey, I have made some progress but I know that I still need to get more in tune with the fundamentals. That's why I'm slowing down and following that 1 year guide.

I suppose that in all honesty I don't need an art mentor if all I'm am doing is sketches and practicing fundamentals for the next year or so. It's just difficult sometimes to keep practicing and practicing and not getting any feedback even if you post it somewhere. I could try networking more but I feel like it's a waste of time until I get to a certain level.
>>
>>2521473
watts atelier
>>
>>2521509
Can you post that one year fundamental guide?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.