[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cintiq Meme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 9
File: cintiqmeme.png (257 KB, 1135x415) Image search: [Google]
cintiqmeme.png
257 KB, 1135x415
/ic/ convince me not to fall for the cintiq meme... I want one so bad, but I know I am just a shitty beginner artist.
>>
Wait until they release the Companion 3; buy a >$200 Huion Giano until then and see if you even want one by that point.
>>
>>2480443
is companion 3 out soon?
>>
>>2480450
I don't know if there even will be one. The release pattern of the first two suggested that there would have been a companion in February if there was going to be another one. I'm not sure what if anything Wacom's planning, but the second one supposedly has a lot of flaws.
>>
I have an I7 512 model... it's pretty sweet. But that price is ridiculous. Only get it if you're gonna draw 24/7. If you're just a hobbyist, fuck with something else.
>>
>>2480440
Cintiqs arent for artists, they're for people with too much money. If they also happen to have artistic merit, its a happy coincidence. Everyone else uses an intuos or paper and a scanner
>>
>>2480440
Paper is cheaper
>>
>>2480440
If you do get a tablet without a monitor please make sure the drawing surface is about the same size as your monitor

I bought a small one and it was trash because a small movement would make the brush in photoshop shoot a few inches across the screen
>>
>>2480470
oils are more expensive.
>>
do cintiqs or tablets where you can draw directly onto the surface have any real technical advantages besides being more natural?

I know ultimately its better and its top of the line professional shit but it doesn't seem like its THAT neccesary
>>
>>2480463
Except for... you know, every studio where professional artists work.

>>2480552

It has the exact same sensitivity as a non-monitor tablet. The advantage is the natural feeling and the direct feedback. It may not seem like a big deal, but believe me, it is a HUGE deal.

You will draw 3 times faster and learn much more quickly.

>>2480440

As for YOU, OP. It is a worthy investment, if you take art seriously. Only you can judge if you're ready to go to the next level, but let me tell you from personal experience that cheaping out on a tablet can seriously retard your mastery of digital art.

If you're not quite ready to make that investment, you can paint reasonably well with an intuos, but *drawing* will be SO much easier on a Cintiq.
>>
If you can write the alphabet with a regular tablet, you can draw with one.
>>
>>2480558
>Except for... you know, every studio where professional artists work.
There are studios too that are stingy enough to only buy Intuoses - and I don't even hear a lot of complaining from the artists, because why should they, Intuos is perfectly fine. Cintiq is more of a luxury item, sure it's nice, but entirely unnecessary.
>>
>>2480594
Just mad and jealous because you can't afford a cintiq so you're trying to defend those feelings by talking up your non-screen tablet lol
>>
>>2480601
I could buy multiple cintiqs if I wanted to, I just think my money is better spent elsewhere
>>
>>2480604
yea ok buddy, you're either not serious about digital art or full of shit.
>>
>>2480605
Full of nearly 10 years of industry experience more like
I've never even seen anyone use a Cintiq IRL
>>
>>2480606
you must be in the wrong industry or working for a shitty poor company. Sorry about that.
>>
>>2480606
My university even had cintiqs
>>
>>2480440
>Just tools no rules
>>
Buy it you fucking faggot
>>
File: tumblr_o45coaWgAV1rs1maio2_1280.png (765 KB, 650x878) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o45coaWgAV1rs1maio2_1280.png
765 KB, 650x878
QUESTION

I've heard the iPad pro + ipencil is better than a cintiq.

You basically can stream your PC on the screen of the ipad so you can do whatever you want, and the pencil and the stroke have ZERO distance between each other, unlike the cintiq which has a few milimiters of distance and feels less natural, less like drawing, what do you think?
>>
>>2480695
the screen size on the ipad pro is small. Also you lose a lot of the features in PS that make PS important.
>>
>>2480605
>need a cintiq to be serious about digital art
Damn, I guess it's no surprise that it's a retard that'd drop that much dough unnecessarily.
>>
>>2480606
so you never used a cintiq.. fuck off with your shitposting
>>
>>2480698
>2480698

You can stream your PC Photoshop to the screen of the iPad so you don't miss on anything

and you can just zoom in if the screen is small, but usually it's a good idea to see the whole picture when you paint and not zoom in except for the final details
>>
OP here... ok I am about to checkout the cintiq
>>
>>2480695
>drawing on glass
no ty
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (33 KB, 1069x152) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
33 KB, 1069x152
>>2480601
Not him but I bought a Cintiq 12WX way back when and it was awful. The Companion 2 has pretty poor reviews on Amazon too, I'm not taking that chance again. Get a Huoin Giano.
>>
>>2480606
Not even a year in the industry and i have already seen a lot of other artists using one IRL.
>>
Cintiq owner here, i would honestly only recommend it if you want a smooth transition from traditional, but since youre a beginner just listen to the other folks here and save yourself some money.
>>
>>2480558
It's not a good investment for a beginner who is likely only excited about it because they feel like it will make them improve. Beginners love to obsess over tools because its easier to buy things than to practice
>>
I got a 13hd a couple of years ago. Couldn't see shit due to my hand being in the way (screen was also dull as dishwater) so I went back to an Intuos. Have used the new 27qhd and I have the same problem so it's not the size. So if you are like me and like to see the whole picture don't bother and save money.
>>
I own a 13hd and love it. I wouldn't recommend it to beginners or people who draw every now and then. Start off with a regular tablet, then if you feel you really want a cintiq and do plan on drawing and painting constantly, then go for it if you can afford it.

>>2481541
>(screen was also dull as dishwater)
That's mostly from the shitty stock screen protector that wacom installs. Blurry, grainy and scratches super easily. It's actually removable, then you can replace it with another less shitty screen protector to get that paper texture back (and protect the screen). I've only ever tried the photodon MXH, but it does seem to be popular.
>>
>>2481541
how the fuck do you draw on paper then? That's incredibly silly.

The 13HD isn't dull. It's tiny for sure but not dull by any means. The picture on it is beautiful.

I'm all about the cheaper brands though. Yiynova, Huion, monoprice. They all offer displays just as good as the cintiqs for a fraction of the price.
>>
>>2480594

Ok then, prepare to hear some complaining. I was working on BGs for an animated short from my home on my Cintiq.

The studio I was working with said they needed some compositing work done, so I drove into Los Angeles to meet with them. Unfortunately it turned out they didn't have the files prepared for compositing, so I ended up just hanging out and finishing the last couple of BGs.

However, all of the cintiqs were being used by other artists and they didn't have one available for me (this was a very, VERY, indie studio), so I ended up having to work on an Intuos tablet.

It probably caused me to take 3 to 4 times longer than it would have if I had had my cintiq with me, and it was very frustrating to get my lines down. Cintiqs are very useful. They allow you to work faster and with greater precision.

No doubt though you'll just tell me that I should "Get Good" or whatever it is people say these days.

>>2480606

>I've never even seen anyone use a Cintiq IRL

Every studio I've ever set foot in from the most pathetic hole in the wall to Nickelodeon itself has had a rack of Cintiqs. I have no idea where you've been working.

Also, 3 of my room-mates are professional artists, and every single one of them invested in Cintiqs, and every one of them considers it a necessary expense to work professionally.

>>2481491

>It's not a good investment for a beginner

Only because of price. If there was a cintiq available for 200 bucks or less, I'd tell every wannabe artist to buy one. As it is, with a pricetag between 800 and 2000 dollars, you better either have money to burn, or be prepared to take things seriously.
>>
>>2481541

Did you try adjusting the screen brightness? When I got mine it was very dull and dark, but I changed the monitor settings and it was great.

>Couldn't see shit due to my hand being in the way

I... what?! Were you wearing Hulk Hands while drawing or something?
>>
>>2481550

Yeah I read into all that. Didn't want to risk it though so I just sold it on after a few months use.

>>2481554

I have always been a tablet fag, don't use traditional. I'm mainly a zbrush sculptor and photoshop texture "artist" I only do the odd concept sketch.

>>2481569

I messed around with it for ages. Couldn't get it look as good as my calibrated Dell. Looked like a sparkly filter was on it constantly.
>>
>>2481586

>I have always been a tablet fag, don't use traditional. I'm mainly a zbrush sculptor and photoshop texture "artist" I only do the odd concept sketch.

Oh... well then you don't really need a tablet monitor for that kind of work, anyway.
>>
>>2480594
>There are studios too that are stingy enough to only buy Intuoses - and I don't even hear a lot of complaining from the artists
Are you talking about your own studio?
>>
The pressure sensitivity and accuracy isnt as good as a normal tablet

You have to press harder on the screen which gets annoying
>>
File: adventure-time.jpg.png (90 KB, 1039x854) Image search: [Google]
adventure-time.jpg.png
90 KB, 1039x854
>>2481567
>No doubt though you'll just tell me that I should "Get Good" or whatever it is people say these days.
I'm not, but to me it just sounds like you haven't enough experience on an Intuos to use it well.

>Every studio I've ever set foot in from the most pathetic hole in the wall to Nickelodeon itself has had a rack of Cintiqs. I have no idea where you've been working.
I don't know why people are acting like I said Cintiqs don't exist anywhere. I know they're common in well off studios. I also know not all studios think them a necessary expense.
>Nickelodeon
Then again, it could be a cultural difference between industries. Animators in the US think having a Cintiq is important? OK.

They also produce pic related.
>>
What's the point in buying a cintiq over, say, a Surface? Won't the Surface be more versatile?
>>
>>2480463
wow your a fag
>>2480558
and you are correct
>>
>>2481567
I didn't have a cintiq at my job for a year while everyone else was gettin them. I was so sad. So one day I randomly asked my manager guy if I could have one and two days later I got a brand new 24HD.

I was the envy of the studio. Everyone else had an old 21" cintiq. I was suppose to get one as well but they were out of stock at the local photo place. This was just as the new HD cintiqs were coming out(so like... 2011-2012? I think). They didn't have the 22HD either so I got the biggest and baddest cintiq at the time.

It was fucking tiggghhhttttttttt as fuck.

>>2482129
ollool what? A surface is small, slow, and only has 256 levels of sens. Why the fuck would you want that? While my desktop has dual cpu 16 cores, 32 gigs of ram, 256gig SDD and two 1TB storage drives, and a nvidia 970gtx
>>
>>2481485
This. I had a bamboo for YEARS before I got my cintiq. I obviously like my Cintiq more, but if you're just starting out, it isn't necessary.
>>
>>2481857
most comic/print/hybrid studios have intuos at most stations and only a few cintiqs. Aside from the obvious cost ratio issue. cintiqs have come a long way but they still suffer from color accuracy and parallax issues, cintiqs are much more prevalent in digital only studios like 3d and video game design. i know many artists that have used an intuos for years forego the cintiq "upgrade" because they like not having a hand in the way of their cursor. but i guess if you're one of those people who need to see your hands to get a sandwich in your mouth then a cintiq is for you.
>>
>>2480695
>>2481306
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMA25CqKcn8

This guy said he bought a screen protector and it feels exactly the same as a wacom.
>>
>>2482191

>I'm not, but to me it just sounds like you haven't enough experience on an Intuos to use it well.

Wrong again. I used an intuos for years before finally getting a cintiq. I will never go back.

>I know they're common in well off studios.

When I said hole in the wall I meant it. I'm talking offices above a furniture store tier.

>Animators in the US think having a Cintiq is important? OK. They also produce pic related.

I knew it! I KNEW IT! You couldn't resist going for the cheap-shot, with a dash of anti-Americanism as garnish.

OK, smart guy, where do you live that doesn't use Cintiqs? Because they are plentiful in Japan as well, what with Wacom being a Japanese company and all, and I'm pretty sure they're common in France as well, unless TV paint was just demonstrating their products on a Cintiq for kicks.

Everyone else, let me put it this way. If you prefer the Intuos to the Cintiq, that's fine, but you are the exception to the rule, and maybe the Intuos just works for you. Dave Rapozza uses an Intuos and, bitter /ic/ comments aside, he is a very good artist.

But I have yet to meet a single artist who has not been happier with a Cintiq. And I don't understand why people feel the need to denigrate the Cintiq, unless it's some kind of need to prove that they're better than everyone else because they don't need the "fancy stuff". No one's impressed, guys.

>but i guess if you're one of those people who need to see your hands to get a sandwich in your mouth then a cintiq is for you.

Comments like this are neither productive nor useful, and are very harmful to up and coming artists. Any newbies out there, never take the advice of people who talk like this. They will hurt you if you listen to them.

>>2482129

Surface got me my first studio job, but it simply cannot compare to a real Cintiq. It's a nice machine and I'm glad Microsoft put it out on the market, but Cintiqs are better. A surface as a mobile platform is a nice secondary tool though.
>>
File: Cory Loftis zootopia concept.jpg (199 KB, 1280x536) Image search: [Google]
Cory Loftis zootopia concept.jpg
199 KB, 1280x536
>>2483172

Meant to reply to

>>2482124
>>
>>2483172
I agree with what you're saying but I don't think cintiqs are for beginners like OP. At his stage it's too easy to get sidetracked by learning the device and software which should really come sometime later.
>>
>>2483381

I said as much here.

>>2480558
>>
>>2480440
have you looked at monoprice and the artisul d13?
>>
>>2480594
Hardly any studio worth a shit won't shell out money for cintiqs for half its team atleast. Usually the ones that stick with screenless tablets are just more comfortable with them, not because their studio can't afford them.
>>
>>2481541
>Couldn't see shit due to my hand being in the way
You know that's why artists draw counter-clockwise right? Its the same deal with paper.
>>
File: 1459630070225.jpg (31 KB, 638x540) Image search: [Google]
1459630070225.jpg
31 KB, 638x540
>>2480440
would one of these even increase the speed i paint with my mouse? my mouse'ing skills are GOAT and all id expect with a purchase like that is wrist pain~
>>
>>2487149
Post your work. No seriously, I'm curious what your art looks like
>>
You should only get a cintiq when and if you feel like it would eliminate a problem you have with a normal drawing tablet. Everyone is a little bit different, but for me the transition from traditional to digital was difficult even after a long time of practicing with an intuos- and don't even get me started on 2d computer animation. I couldn't get past it at all.

Don't expect miracles though. It still requires a lot of effort to get used to if your digital art skills are weak. But for me it was something I felt I had to invest in for better efficiency and quality of work, and I definitely haven't regretted it. It's just not frustrating like a tablet is, and that in itself made me want to create digital art/animation 10x more than before.
>>
File: smiles beach.png (258 KB, 819x460) Image search: [Google]
smiles beach.png
258 KB, 819x460
>>2487152
here you go senpai, fastest of all time
>>
>>2487157

This guy right here gets it. If you can draw and paint reasonably well on physical media, but are struggling with digital work on an intuos, seriously consider a Cintiq.

Even so it took several months to get my digital skills up to snuff. Drawing is pretty easy, but painting digitally was a struggle even with a monitor.
>>
>>2480463
not everyone can get use to working and looking somewhere else, god knows i still cant.

>>2480440
if you need to be on the go, look up tablets that have pens with pressure sensitivity, or used laptops with penable displays.

if you want a monitor to draw on, monoprice makes a damn good one.

if you want wacom, its your money but there are cheaper alternatives.
>>
>>2480440
I'm considering a monitor tablet to make my comic inking more efficient... I currently ink on an Intuos Medium, and it's pretty alright, but there always is a lot of Control+Z going on. Would a monitor tablet speed up my inking/increase accuracy or am I just fooling my self thinking that? Anyone with some experience that can shed some light on this issue?
>>
http://www(.)yiynova(.)eu these guys do it good , i like their tablets , i plan to buy one
Also any other alternative for a Cintiq looks tempting , but from what i've heard , they have problems with their drivers.
>>
>>2489626
I am in your same predicament, and seeing how most artists doing inking have a cintiq I'm also inclined to think it's just that much better for that kind of stuff.
>>
I was about to get a Cintiq 13HD for £500, but then I realised this is a dumb thing. For £1500 I can get a Cintiq 27QHD, so I think I'm just going to splurge on my self this Christmas and get that. I'll get to see what happens with the iPad Pro 2 and Surface Book 2 too, with little risk of Wacom releasing a new flagship so soon. /blog
>>
>>2480488
Dumbest thing I've ever heard. It usually takes about a hundred hours to get used to any tablet, you probably used yours for under 50.
>>
File: cirque-du-soleil.jpg (54 KB, 596x773) Image search: [Google]
cirque-du-soleil.jpg
54 KB, 596x773
>>2490616
How are your freehand ellipses fampai?
>>
>>2489937

I have advice for you, anon. A 27 inch may not be the dream machine you're thinking it is. They are huge, ungainly beasts. Even a 24 inch can be a pain to manipulate and adjust.

You might be happier with a 22 inch screen, and save some money. This, of course is a decision you'll have to make, but you may want to think about it.
>>
>>2480463
does anyone else have a problem with the intuos in that it occassionally goes max pressure for a single line?

intuos is pretty average
>>
>>2490926
It really is, but I think I have the desk space, especially if I mount it on an ergotron. The thing is the 27" has the same footprint as the 24" it replaced, so worst comes to worst I can get an extension to my current desk and have a nice and comfy L-shaped nook for gaming and arting.

It's mostly the realisation that if I'm going to invest in something I might as well not go half measures.
>>
>>2490947

Granted. I use a 13 inch myself. Wish I had a 22 inch. I just wonder whether bigger always is better in this case.
>>
>>2480453
Didn't the first one have also some pretty glaring flaws? Like not being able to connect to another pc to use it as a regular cintiq, or the charger suddenly dying?

What are the flaws on the 2? Honest question, I was saving for one :/
>>
>>2492471
Not the anon you're quoting but i own a companion 2 and here's what I've noticed:

>Fans are loud
So if the fans being louder than a laptop (closer to a pc tower) then you might be bothered by the companion 2 because they're really loud but it doesn't bother me. It's a white noise. Idk how people would react say, on a plane or a train or something but no one complained on a four day car ride when I used it.

>It gets hot. really hot
This is my only problem with it. Maybe it's because I have the screen brightness turned all the way up because i can't see well if it's too dim, but after an hour or so of drawing, depending on how big your file is, you might find it getting too hot to touch. I usually just use it as a cue to turn it off and take a 15 minute break to stretch, potty, and get a snack. As someone using it for my school projects while I'm in college, I love having it. It's convienient, i don't have to bring my laptop to school, it's lovely to actually use.

Aside from the heating issue I have no problems with it and I suspect I could fix the heating issue if I put a fan behind it

I reccommend it if you think it'd be a good investment for you because they ARE expensive, but if you wouldn't use it more than a non-lcd tablet, go for an off brand or an intuos or even a bamboo if you've never had a tablet before at all. I dunno how they are now but my second tablet was a bamboo (first was a wacom graphire 4 i think? or somethng like that? It was tiny, blue, and I loved it but the plastic split and exposed everything underneath so it eventually broke from water damage.
>>
>>2492495
Thanks for the reply. I've used an intuos and a huion 610 for a few years now, but I've always been interested in cintiqs. I was torn between the companion 2 and the Surface Pro, but I still have time to think about it.
>>
>>2492471

I heard there were some really bad battery issues with it apart from what >>2492495 mentioned; I don't really remember though, look up the reviews on Amazon. I really want them to make a Companion 3; I'm hoping for the best.
>>
>>2492512
You should sell your Intuos and 610 and get a Giano dude. Real talk nigga, I wouldn't get a companion or surface pro unless I planned to take that shit everywhere. If you're more of a homebody I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
>>2492519
I'm moving soon to a smaller place, so having the tablet functionality incorporated into a laptop sounds like a great space saver. But I guess I'll have to decide once I have enough money saved up.

I hadn't seen the Giano before, looks pretty interesting...
>>
>>2480440
Dude, Pen and Paper is like a Cintiq but less money. Gets pricey with markers but still a ton cheaper.
>>
>>2492712

I don't think so Tim.

http://www.amazon.com/Copic-Marker-72-Piece-Sketch-Set/dp/B000MRSUEE

Also if you don't know how to work digitally no studios will hire you.
>>
I worked professionally with a Surface Pro 1 for about a year, but jumping to the Cintiq Companion 1 was a tremendous leap. The pen tracking is miles better, having the express keys instead of fishing on a keyboard means I can do traditional animation without fumbling for awkward keys. One hand draws, one hand flips the frames. Or grabs colors. Or whatever. Unless I'm graphic designing, I just need the tablet and I'm drawing faster than I ever did on comparable devices.

Drawbacks are the abysmal stand and the weight. I've lost a lot of messenger bags because something gives under the weight after a few months. Battery is actually pretty reliable, even when I'm doing a lot of processor intensive shit.

Other than that, it's really my favorite possession. Not for everyone, certainly. But for me it's amazing.
>>
>>2480440
The dumb dumbs over at wacom should copy the apple pencil's tip so wacom can have proper tilt too. And also copy whatever Apple did to lessen the gap between pen and mark. How can Apple just enter the game and already be better than Wacom? Aside from their stupid iOS only nonsense anyway. Apple should make a tablet that I can use with my PC lol. I feel like we are on the brink of digital art becoming much more natural feeling. Eventually the hardware manufacturers will figure out how to not cripple their devices with stupid shit. And maybe some digital painting focused software will finally replace lazy disinterested Adobe.
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.