[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
giving credit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1
File: do not undersand.gif (36 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
do not undersand.gif
36 KB, 720x720
so I've never really been part of any arts communities , and I have heard you can get into a lot of hot water because there are no set rules.
I'd just like to get everyone's two cents on this

I make spray-paint stencils, and I'm not really sure to what extent I should credit my sources
>always and for everything anon
but it gets grey in my head at least pretty quickly

if I make a stencil of a photo, is that stencil a copy of the photo; or a derivative work?
does the medium of the original stock make any difference? (if it was another stencil surely I would just be stealing it, but what if it was a print, or a photo?)
if I combine a number of images together, does it become my art or have I simply multiples the number of people I need to give credit to?
what if the stock image was not "art", but for informative value (like a product photo)
what if the original artist was dead or lives in iceland?

if I credit someone can I use someones work if they don't want (or havn't authorised me to)?

how the hell do I credit someone in a piece of way two stories up, especially since I don't have an official catalog or website?

like I don't want people to think I'm stealing their work, or trying to claim talent that isn't mine
but at the same time my work is generally illegal, so It's a huge risk asking anyone for permission; and I'm not sure how much effort I'm expected to go to crediting people who may never see my work
>>
>>2452310

what kind of beta faggot gives a fuck about giving credit?
>>
>>2452335
as a street artist, if someone thinks you did something really uncool you can get your work defaced all over town

for directly stolen stencils it happens pretty must straight away, the original artist gets some locals to tag all over it and they try to track you down in person

now that's about as far as you can go in terms of street art theft

but for instance if I did a stencil of a rembrandt, someone who didn't know the original might credit me with the whole composition
Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.