[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get rid of my ego? Many times when I'm painting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
How do I get rid of my ego?

Many times when I'm painting I think about the likes I'm going to get on Facebook when I post the drawing. I hate this feel.
>>
>>2349916
>caring
its normal to like being liked (in a non-facebook way) in fact it can be great motivation to improve.
there's no need to kill off your ego unless you're a giant douchebag. being proud of yourself is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.
>>
Finding satisfaction in getting lots of likes isn't the problem - the problem is when you get lots of likes and assume it's because you're hot shit, then going and telling everyone what hot shit you are. "Why should I listen to you when I get more likes than you lol" shit like that. That's when your ego gets in the way and makes you an intolerable shit to everyone around you.
>>
>>2349916
>Finding satisfaction in getting lots of likes isn't the problem

That is the problem, Anon. As a matter of fact it is the root cause of the problem, when you draw you draw for yourself not how many upboats you'll get.
>>
At the end of the day what do those likes get you? Do they actively contribute to you being a better artist? Do they help you along in getting to where you wanna be career wise? At the end of the day, likes, favs, notes don't really mean much and to equate yourself with those numbers is kind of arbitrary.
>>
>>2349916
By killing yourself. There are too many vocaloidfag spicaboos with dunning kruger syndrome on /ic/ already.
>>
>>2349968
Is addictive tho
>>
>>2349916
Weed.
>>
>>2349916
Stop posting.
Draw for the sake of drawing and resist the urge to post.
>>
perhaps start off by keeping some works to yourself
>>
>>2350841
no, your thinking of shrooms and DMT
>>
droping your pride too much outside means you're gonna be fucked up when you don't find the same doses of aproval

it's inmature and it takes conscience efforts to overcome it, it won't dissapear by just going on
>>
>>2349916
Pride cometh before the fall, faggot.
>>
>>2349916
do people draw for other reasons? lol

embrace it m8. you can try for years to change (repress and fight parts of yourself) but you'll come crying back realizing it sucks and you cant change your flaws, you gotta accept them, everyone is a faggot in their own ways, and traits you think are bad others will admire. its all relative.

you're better off than hermit fags who dont even post their work, and a lot of artists use art as a way to communicate with others. nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>2349952

Humans are social animals and all of us thrive on the approval of our peers, except for autismos. Drawing for your own enjoyment and drawing to get likes on social media aren't mutually exclusive, and if getting feedback in the form of a drawing taking off is a motivator for you to improve and draw regularly, there's nothing wrong with that.

To me, getting favorites and new followers helps keep me motivated. I know that there are people actually checking out what I do and enjoying it enough to want to see more. I don't subscribe to the silly /ic/ standard that in order to enjoy art you need to be some fucking hermit pulling 10 hours a day on studies you'll never show anyone.
>>
>>2350924
You need to stop worrying what other people think and be more objective on your work instead of thinking about likes and my space and such.
>>
>>2350938
>stop thinking about other people
its an important motivator though and as artists we are entertainers.
It doesn't matter how much you improve if you don't show anyone and nobody cares. You can be the best artist in the world, but it means nothing if you don't show anyone or everyone hates it.
>>
>>2350938
>You need to stop worrying what other people think

First of all, I don't lose my mind when something I post on social media doesn't get any likes. I wouldn't consider myself worried. Feeling good when something becomes really popular doesn't mean you have to feel like shit when something doesn't. Many of the pieces I'm most proud of fell flat on tumblr, I still like them.

>and be more objective on your work

Are you suggesting that enjoying something getting positive attention means you can't view your work objectively? Do you think nobody does an objective analysis of their work BEFORE they post it? Or perhaps want to maintain a standard of quality of what they upload to be viewed by other people?

I don't know if you think that doing art and leaving it in your sketchbook/on your computer for nobody but yourself to ever see is a 'purer' form of art or something, but there's seriously nothing wrong with publicizing your work and feeling good when people besides you like it.
>>
File: bigepiphany_0.jpg (80 KB, 569x802) Image search: [Google]
bigepiphany_0.jpg
80 KB, 569x802
I'm tired of my ego too.

Tomorrow I'm taking 3g of shrooms and going to the forest alone. Wish me luck, finally I will become nobody. Only then will I git gud.
>>
All you gotta do is to start thinking of everything you do as never good enough
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.