[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Story telling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
How to tell a story in a single painting or illustration? Are there any (preferably contemporary) artists who pull this off?

My art seems dull and boring, how much does story matter?
>>
Life experiences and/or drugs

Draw what inspires you
>>
>>2346246
Drugs won't replace life experience but they'll make you feel like you do among other things. Do drugs for fun and draw for fun while on them but don't even think about making this part of your professional process.
This is coming from someone who has spent at least a few hundred hours drawing high.
>>
>>2346245
Study comps from illustrators that you like. Even steal them and infuse them in your own work (without making it too obvious).
>>
File: image.jpg (280 KB, 811x1578) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
280 KB, 811x1578
>>2346245
A good storytelling painting stars with rather obvious setting and then adds details. However, the actual story is left largerly to the imagination of the viewer.
>>
File: 1411834350871.jpg (52 KB, 386x371) Image search: [Google]
1411834350871.jpg
52 KB, 386x371
>>2346296

>that image
>>
>>2346296
blog?
>>
>>2346329
https://www.patreon.com/posts/http-i-imgur-com-3258504
>>
>>2346296
Are there more suggestions for artist that nail the art of storytelling?
>>
People are wasting too much time on how to render rather than what they render. Atleast 80% of the work you see om 4chan or artstation are just superficial renderings. Why is technique more important then content? It says a lot about the society we live in.
>>
>>2347040
Couldn't agree more. People on this board are so obsessed with skill/technique (which is very important of course), that they tend to put artistic expression on the back burner. They are so hell bent on being the best skill wise that they unfortunately shut out any other options or types of art that are realistic and draw from the imagination.
>>
>>2346379
Iterate.
1) Think of a story
2) Draw illustration
3) Bring it to public and see how much (if any) of the story can be seen in the final piece
4) Based on 3), improve.

I mean, really, general advices can only get you that far. Start DRAWING.
>>
>>2346245
I feel there are better mediums to iterate an entire story than a single image.

It seems silly to stress over--Consider a short or comic.
>>
>>2347539

The point isn't to make up a story and find a way to tell it in one image. The point is to give an image meaning by having it tell a story. If you don't think that's possible or interesting, what the fuck are you doing here?
>>
>>2347040
>Why is technique more important then content? It says a lot about the society we live in.
Because "content" is cheap, while technique is hard earned.
>>
>>2347671
If content was so cheap you'd think every art piece would have it. Content is hard earned. That's why you have so few meaningful art out there.
>>
>>2347671
>Because "content" is cheap
Kek.
Yea, that must be the reason why pieces of art with similar technical level are, as a rule, valued similarly.
>>
>>2347705
>>2347712
It isn't artists who decide what piece has content and what doesn't. think about it.
>>
>>2347713
>It isn't artists who decide what piece has content and what doesn't. think about it.
Spare me this bullshit, bro.
Even when I make a somewhat-abstract piece, 9 out of 10 viewers can guess right what the main theme is.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.