[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am very slow on my drawings because I'm afraid of fucking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
I am very slow on my drawings because I'm afraid of fucking up and feeling like I wasted tons of time on a ruined drawing.
When I make a unredeemable mistake, I used to freak out and shred the paper or put it into a paperball and throw it away as my blood boiled. Now I'm more calm, and I only fold it in 2 so I never see it again.

This fear of messing up really slow me down, I draw for like 10 minutes and I stop. I need to think a lot to do something very basic like drawing a line with the ink over the sketch made with the pencil
>>
>>2582332
even masters made mistakes. get over it.
>>
>>2582332
what media do you use? it's very important because it affects the mind set you approach your work with

to train your confidence use a medium where you can't erase. Even if getting good in that medium is not your end goal, the knowledge you gain in it carry over. You could try charcoal since it's so black, or brush pens, or force yourself not to use ctrt+z if drawing digitally

if pencil is all you got, force yourself not to use eraser unless you want to make an highlight or something like that. And do not chicken scratch, know where your line is going to end before you start doing it, regardless if it's construction line or trying to find a form
>>
>>2582332
and forgot to say OP,

flash us

it's always good to see the level you are at to know what kind of advice to give. We might even talk hours on a problem which you describe bad so we give bad advices for your situation, there is no one size fits all in art.
>>
>>2582332
This is normal. You spend a long time on things because you lack the fundamentals for certain things.
>>
>>2582332
Sounds like you should kill the taboo against mistakes you've got going on in your mind.

If you're using paper, get a bunch of cheat printer paper, and doodle the fuck out of it. It doesn't really matter what you draw, just draw a shitload, burn through that paper. Get used to your work not being perfect, get used to throwing it away. Not everything you do needs to be worth showing off. Most of the work you ever do is going to be the rough stuff no one will ever see anyway, the stuff you do during the planning stages before you start on a final product.
>>
File: 1465972341698.jpg (27 KB, 614x131) Image search: [Google]
1465972341698.jpg
27 KB, 614x131
>>2582332
Honestly just draw bruh. You need the mileage
>>
>>2582359
I only work on paper and pens

>>2582363
I will post it when I'm done on another thread, I already know the mistakes I did, it's no biggie, it's mostly technical.
For example I fucked parallel lines on a building on front of the drawing with the pen. God it pisses me off, those ugly un parallel lnes all done with a ruler, it looks like some bad tracing done by a middle school student.

>>2582382
I learn something everytime I draw, while using references for a texture or a model. I assimilate something I can use later. It's ofte on the most basic shit that I mess up.
Fuck parallel lines, I hate to do those.

>>2582395
Everytme I draw, it's because I want to make a good drawing, something I can proudfully put in a frame and hang it at the wall.
Since I find most of my work barely tolerable for me, but good for people not used to draw, I get a feeling so complicated.
>>
>>2582409
woah, good quote
>>
It going to be difficult to take my advice because I didn't take this advise until someone I respected told it to me.

I went through the same thing as you, I would either take weeks at a time to draw a picture. or just not draw at all because of crippling fear of fucking up something that I worked really hard on. Because of this my art stagnated, like... for about 3-5 years my art looked the exact same.

The advice I got from this person that really freed it all up was:

"Not every picture you draw has to be pretty, and not every drawing has got to look good. What matters is that you finish the piece".

If its "perfect" every time you don't get any better. If all of the pictures that you finish look good to you, then what is there to improve on? The only way you are going to get better or even move forward in your art is if you fuck up ALOT. Hell, half the time, just draw. Don't draw for a goal, don't draw to make a good looking picture. Just draw shit (sometimes just draw literal shit), but its about finishing the piece. If in the end it looks good: FUCKING GREAT!

If not: FUCKING GREATER, now you can improve where you fucked up. But stop tryin to be perfect, fuck up a bit, just draw. You are already drawing, and no matter what whether the picture looks good or not you didn't waste you time. Its art regardless, and all practice.
>>
>>2582594
You are right, thanks for this advice, I'll try to keep it in mind and uses it.
It reminds me of all those pieces I never finished because I spent so many days on it, more hesitating than drawing
>>
>>2582332
Draw more. Draw to the point where you're not thinking about every little step anymore.

It's good to learn how to be careful and make clean marks on the paper, but you'll end up with very stiff drawings at that point like the one in your picture.

You should try a medium that provides more mess, so that you can let go of trying to be too neat. Try drawing with charcoal, and do figure drawing. Figures will teach you about gesture and movement. The mess of charcoal will free you up from focusing on individual lines and will teach you how to create form with blocks of shade rather than lines.
>>
>>2582685
I could really enjoy figure drawing but I don't how to practice. I just can't read a .pdf about Loomis and try to reproduce his drawings, it's clearly a chore there is no relfexion.

Speaking of my problem, I'm now stuck again because I don't want to fuck up my drawing. I have this big mecha on the front and behind him there is a city. The composition is rather simple. It's 2 point perspective city and the top half of a big robot in front of it.
I did the outline of the city but I don't know how I could fill it.
Maybe I should post it on a drawthread thread

I never tried charcoal. I really was only with pencil, black pen and markers. I used to paint with oil paint too. I should maybe go into a store and try new stuff, that's not a bad idea.
>>
>>2582695
I don't find Loomis particularly good for figure drawing. His focus is more in the contour, proportions, perspective. That's all very much about outlines, and these are difficult to get accurate if you don't practice shapes and volumes and shades.

If you can, join a class. Drawing from life is the best way to figure draw, and a class will do that for you.

If not, check out youtube for demos, channels like Proko that break down steps, and artists like Glen Vilpu.

But for starters you could just try to draw 3d shapes under different lighting with charcoal. The goal is to try to free up your method of drawing from the restrictions of lines.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.