[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you could go back to time, just as an observer, to one and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 11
File: terracotta-warriors.jpg (370 KB, 1200x750) Image search: [Google]
terracotta-warriors.jpg
370 KB, 1200x750
If you could go back to time, just as an observer, to one and only one period in history, what would it be?

I'd honestly love to see China during the First Emperor's reign, 246-210 BCE. That Ancient Egypt stuff seems too boring to me, and we already know everything about it.
>>
>>839722
I don't know a thing about Egypt, but it seems to have a rich history that I would like to experience personally.

I'm more interested in China's Warring States era to the founding of the Han. It would be nice to see the transition from utter chaos to the making of the world's largest homogenous civilization.
>>
>>839722
>the First Emperor's reign
that guy was just another generic tyrant

he isn't unique, there's plenty of people like him throughout the history, even today, you could say that the present day incarnations of him are the north korean leaders
>>
WW1 just to watch the whole mess unfold
>>
>>839722
Rome, when the low medieval period was in full swing.

>Walking through the remains of the eternal city.
>A city once crowded with a million souls, now comfortably holding 15,000 or so.
>Take a day to walk among the forests and estates that now bloom within the old city walls.
>Observe some of the greatest monuments of the Hellenistic world after they'd been partially disassembled to build new houses and structures that will never be their equal.
>Silently contemplate a fundamentally broken world.
>>
>>841009
>im a /pol/ troll, gimme da attention mom and dad didnt gibe me hue

He is worth a shit. Within his lifetime he did more than Julius and Augustus did combined.
>>
>>841026
buttmad chingchong upset his favorite warlord isn't that special.
>>
>>839722
good choice, OP. i would choose china c. 6th century and follow Lao around.
And my 2nd choice would be Vienna 1790s
>>
>>841026
>Within his lifetime he did more than Julius and Augustus did combined
Kill yourself.
>>
Guys, I think everything in the ancient world smelled bad. Imagine the smell on the streets and no sewers systems.
>>
File: d7b.jpg (13 KB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
d7b.jpg
13 KB, 300x169
>>841031
>>841041
And smug anime girls did more than you will ever do in your tiny lives.
>>
File: i am become smug.jpg (799 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
i am become smug.jpg
799 KB, 1080x1080
>>841058
You think you can outsmug me, kid?
Think again.
>>
>>841063
Now you're definitely trolling senpai
>>
>>841026
>m-muh ching chong change emperor!!
>>
>>841075
buttmad (You)
>>
File: 1458055265463.jpg (15 KB, 230x219) Image search: [Google]
1458055265463.jpg
15 KB, 230x219
>>839722
The Battle of Waterloo, Wagner's first performance of Lohengrin, the poisoning of Socrates
>>841026
Please, fuck off to Plebshite.
>>
>>841068
maybe u shuldnt make dum statements
>>
Keep it coming assmad /pol/tards, I'm here all day.

Hey racists, what's it like knowing your kind is slowly going extinct?
>>
>>841098
Dude, there's a right way and a wrong way to fuck with the /pol/niggers and you're going about it completely ass-back'ards.
>>
>>841098
If you're both OP and >>841026, you're wrong because we do not know everything about Ancient Egypt and the Caesars are IMO far more innovative and interesting than Qin Shi Huang Di.
>>
>>841098
Myabe if you wouldn't respond to them like an assmad slanteye they wouldn't continue.
>>
>>841026
How can anyone even say something like this? Stupid slit-eyed, shrimp-dicked kimchinigger.

>>841098
>crying about racism
The desperate ramblings of a cucked-by-alpha-white-males beta virgin fat kimchinigger.

ching chong ring a ling ding dong kimchinegro
>>
>>841113
>inb4 people don't realise this guy is only pretending to be from /pol/
>>
>>841110
>the Caesars are IMO far more innovative and interesting than Qin Shi Huang Di
-- said every gay beta white male ever
>>
>>841098
>man you fucking racists are so delusional
>now allow me to make statements which affirm your viewpoints

Slants everyone
>>
whoa guys chill out

i'd post my dick to calm things down, but the filesize is too big for 4chan
>>
>>841120
>losers said it so anyone who says it is a loser!
It's just my opinion but you are obviously baiting.
>>
>>839722
I'd love to see the 20th century unfold in China.
>going from Cixi to nationalists to communists to soft capitalists
What a time to be alive
>>
>>841111
Oh, I'm not too worried about them, none of them are even interesting trolls.

Not OP btw. If I wanted productive discussion, I'd go to lit, slow as it is.
>>
>>841129
Speaking of 20th century China, Nixon and Kissinger meeting with Zhou Enlai and Mao would be interesting to see.
>>
>>841129
Is there a specific book on 20th century China? I remember searching for some for hours, but could not find any, which is bizarre.
>>
>>841128
none of the Caesars have a legacy as big and as great as Qin Shi Huangdi
>>
>>841131
I'm starting to think this board is better than /lit/.
>>
>>841147
Okay, sure. That's great.
>>841149
Even with all the bait, /his/ is far better. /lit/ is dying due to the Imgur invasion.
>>
>>841159
>Imgur invasion
what do you mean?
>>
>>841140
>a specific book on 20th century China?
Huh?
I'm certain that, out of all the history books that have been made, one is on 20th century China.
>>
>>841159
He's right though. It might sound like nationalism/bragging, but I doubt he's a PRC shill.
>>
>>841176
I've tried, friend. There's like nothing.
>>
>>841181
>He's right though.
proofs
>>
>>841166
Lists and charts appeared on Imgur and Redditors/ Imgur users invaded /lit/ and post quality declined. Also with the creation of /his/, many people flocked here to discuss philosophy and other things that were normally discussed on /lit/.
>>841176
He's asking for a recommendation.
>>
>>841184
*in the way of a general history.
>>
>>841181
The Chinese monarch's descent ended in 1911. The Caesar's bloodline continued to the Habsburg's in the present. He is objectively wrong.
>>
>>841196
>The Caesar's bloodline continued to the Habsburg's
>actually believing this

this sad yo
>>
File: 960.jpg (53 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
960.jpg
53 KB, 960x540
>>841196
>Austrians are Romans

Back to stormfront with you
>>
>>841204
>not believing that the Caesar's founded the provincial rulers who founded Charlagmene whose blood co tinues through the Habsburg's today
>>
>>841204
Just a troll. Move along

There are 13 people here, and 40+ posts. A lot of samefagging going on.
>>
>>841208
There's no blood descent you autist.
>>
>>841106
Not him, but what way would that be?
>>
File: chinarising.jpg (37 KB, 400x430) Image search: [Google]
chinarising.jpg
37 KB, 400x430
>>841184
It's a high school text book, but China Rising: A Study in Revolution, is alright. It's quite broad, covering from the late 1800s to the 90s. As a text book it's somewhat dry, but I found it didn't seem very biased.

From there, you could branch out from that into books on more specific time periods after you've gotten the general overall look at the 20th century.

Fun fact, I actually know the guy who wrote this book.

>>841187
I thought he was stating that there was literally not a single book on 20th century China
>>
>>841216
By not responding.
>>
>>841047
Designated?
>>
>>841210
It's not "samefagging" you newshit, it's discussion.
>>
>>841226
Don't respond. This is a troll thread.
>>
>>841226
Except you haven't provided any actual discussion, and are merely a troll.

>>841220
Well duh. I've done that for the last 20 threads, I felt like stirring the pot a little.
>>
>>841235
>fight shitposting with shitposting
truly a genius idea
>>
>>841219
Thanks. I probably know less than the polniggers about recent China. I'm fine with high school textbooks as long as they're not censored by the PRC.

The second decade of the 21st century and no full length critical histories yet, what gives?
>>
>>841246
I guess that there's just too much to write out a super detailed critical history of the 20th century. Too much shit went down there to condense it all into one book I suppose.
>>
>>841244
Like yours?
>>
>>841256
If decent outline histories of the USA can be squished into 700 pages, there's no reason modern China's history can't be mapped out with 500. My guess is that historians feel that they need access to restricted documents before they can fill in the censored blanks.
>>
>>841185
Here's your proof: Go outside or read a book, manlet.
>>
>>841244
If you don't bring out the trolls, how will the mods know who to ban?
>>
>>841111
I dunno man, I think he handled the trolls better than say, Kevin Hart or Trump do with their trolls on twitter.

The proper response is not to respond, but sometime you don't have to be so high strung.
>>
>>841281
suck my fucking dick you fucking retard
>>
>>839722
The historical Jesus' life.
>>
File: Qin Shi Huangdi.jpg (145 KB, 321x406) Image search: [Google]
Qin Shi Huangdi.jpg
145 KB, 321x406
>>841009
>that guy was just another generic tyrant
Actually the bad rep of Qin Shi Huangdi did not come from the commons -as was usually the case in post-dynastic struggles in China- but from the feudal elites he BTFO, stripped of power, in favor of a centralized government.

You know, the guys who toppled his dynasty, tried to set up the old feudatories, failed due to one guy saying "actually, an Empire is pretty great, so I'm betraying your feudal movement."

Because Qin Shi Huangdi did outlaw slavery and ended feudalism (or caused its decline at least). Making him possibly popular among the commons.
>>
>>841466
Even if you had one, no one would bother. Don't want to catch the stupid.
>>
>>841477
Those shoes are pretty smart, makes sure you never trip on the hem.
>>
>>841477
If only they reopened his coffin, we'd know how he really looked like...
>>
>>841543
If they opened his tomb without proper precautions, his remains might just crumble to dust from exposure, or people supposedly working on the team might loot the tomb for the black market.
>>
>>841572
or maybe his ghost will haunt the chinese countryside for a millenia

woooooooOOOOOO
>>
>>841572
Wouldn't they hire archaeologists with reputation and experience, not some tomb looters for that job?

>>841580
Or maybe he's still alive?
>>
>>841580
That too, you never know. Such a man's ego was massive enough for centuries to come.
>>
>>841572

that's very possible. Originally those terracotta warriors were painted, but improper care when they first dig them out pretty much destroy most of their color.

Also, booby traps. True or not, the high level of mercury in the area suggest they probably use it to run some sort of mechanical system.
>>
>>841648
Makes me wonder if anyone will ever find Genghis Khan's true grave.
>>
>>841648
>booby traps
What makes you think they're still functional, 2200 years later?
>>
>>841699
If this is a reference to that other thread, yes, pit traps don't just suddenly rust away.
>>
>>841725
Still, 2200 years is a long ass time.
>>
>>841796
Chasms last for longer, and people drop dead into them all the time. What's your point?
>>
>>841648
I thought the mercury was used as lakes in some big as diorama inside the grave?
>>
>>841828
Yes, and mercury vaporizes into the air as well.

I don't understand, is mercury used as a system of defense? If it is, why use it if for its lethality was thought to bring immortality?
>>
File: 1458091856560[1].png (946 KB, 1400x5552) Image search: [Google]
1458091856560[1].png
946 KB, 1400x5552
>>841595
>Wouldn't they hire archaeologists with reputation and experience, not some tomb looters for that job?
>china
>>
/his/ sure had changed a lot in those months.
>>
>>841849
link to this thread
>>
>>841849
That guy got buttblasted by the lowest of the low of China's businessmen. Why is he extending that to all of China?
>>
>>841861
>>826095
>>
>>841856
How so? I've only returned to 4chan in the last couple of weeks.
>>
>>839722
The rise of the Persian empire under Cyrus the Great
>>
>>841856
You mean it hasn't changed a single bit.
>>
>>841220
Normally, yes, but notice that this thread was lingering towards 404 for half the day. After sparking a little controversy, we got a handful of good posts. I was actually the first responder to OP, and so far very few actually answered his time travel question.

>>841244
I might have interacted with some of them, but none of them are worth 'fighting' with.
>>
>>841962
>>841921
People shit on Chinese and their amazing history way too much these days.
>>
>>841595
China has a massive problem with tomb raiders. I read an article once about a Restaurant that was all a front to dig a massive tunnel into a old Tomb
>>
>>841972
Nah, we had plenty of good China threads lately.

/pol/, /r9k/, etc, raid occasionally, just filter the trash out.
>>
>>841972
People shit on sinoboos.
>>
>>841972
Define 'shitting on'
>>
>>841972
Not people, but trumptards. They're getting BTFO from /pol/, so some ended up wandering here. Just do the sign of the cross and keep silver handy, and you'll be good.

Nobody with half a brain take trolls like this seriously in public. Don't bother with them here.
>>
>>842048
/pol/ is BTFO'ing Trumptards? Thought they'd be the first on the boat.
>>
>>842062
/pol/ is not a hivemind.
its not that hard to click on /pol/ and see for yourself rather than just going with the memes, is it?
>>
>>842062
>>842067
Right now Hilary has an edge over Trump election-wise. Commence hand wriggling.

Part of my post >>841026 was intended to gauge how many of them might have showed up here (I hadn't seen enough of the """"excessive"""" quoting meme).
>>
>>842088
>I was only pretending to be retarded
Good on you mate
>>
>>842067
What the shit is up with the anime girls with Trump caps? Shit is disturbing as balls.
>>
>>842161
It's not.

It's like Ron Paul tier memery.
>>
>>842161
How's you first week on 4chan.
This is the same board that started a death cult around an anime girl version of ebola.
>>
>>839722
I'd like to see the last efficient emperor of Rome

Diocletian

So many of his laws and edicts were lost in time.
>>
>>842171
Got a link to that?

It's just weird because most conservatives don't like anime.
>>
>>842178
>It's just weird because most conservatives don't like anime.
Most conservatives don't browse 4chan.
>>
>>842048
typical liberetard

when confronted with logic and thought and someone calls them out of their shit they just call you names and do nothing
>>
>>841125

2kb isn't that big
>>
I'd like to see how the Romans turned into Italians over time.
>>
>>842206
ave ceasar

ayy gabagool
ova heah
>>
>>842088
>Right now Hilary has an edge over Trump election-wise

HAHAHAHA holy fuck you are deluded
enjoy Trump in 2016, Hillary is an incompetent low energy criminal and will never be elected
>>
Something like Firenze or Venice during their golden ages could be nice, especially working for some rich family.
>>
>>842259
Or you could just play Assassin's Creed II.
>>
>>842206
Ancient Romans are not the same people as the present day Italians.
>>
File: C047ypP.gif (3 MB, 291x300) Image search: [Google]
C047ypP.gif
3 MB, 291x300
Watch Stalin make russia great again
>>
>>841849
>Trusting the slink eyed jew
>Ever
I've met and dealt with dozens of chinese, and only a handful was decent people. The rest was just soulless untrustworthy scum.
>>
>>841196
Literally a dozen countries claimed to succeed Rome through history. Even fucking Finland and Turkey. That means nothing.
>>
>>843359
kill most of Russia*
>>
Pontic-Caspian steppe, 3500 BC
>>
>>843385
>most
Are you retarded?
>>
File: minoan woman.png (2 MB, 1024x1396) Image search: [Google]
minoan woman.png
2 MB, 1024x1396
>>839722
Ancient crete, all them titties, plus cool murals and bull leaping.
>>
>>843372
To be fair, the Chinese have no reason to trust white people what with the whole Opium Wars/imperialism thing. White people just don't like when hypocritical business policies are directed towards themselves.
>>
File: battle-of-borodino.jpg (1 MB, 1855x1147) Image search: [Google]
battle-of-borodino.jpg
1 MB, 1855x1147
>>841084
>The Battle of Waterloo

Why not go for an impressive one instead?
Like Borodino or Leipzig
>>
>>839722
I would like to go back in time and be a student at the Academia in Athens, or maybe Aristotle's Lyceum.
>>
The Black Death

Would be the worst trip of my life man. But worth.
>>
>>841131
>>841149
>>841159

I just visited /lit/.

The threads aren't as interesting, but some are deeper than usual /his/ fare.

If there's one thing to admire there, it's that /pol/tards get BTFOed on a routine basis.
>>
>>841026
I'm going to disagree solely on the fact the Qin state collapses shortly after the death of Qin Shi Huang whereas notwithstanding the death of the Roman Republic, the empire brought about by JC and Augustus would flourish for far longer.
>>
>>843720
Borodino was insane.
>>
>>839722
The Bronze Age collapse.

I want to see what the apocalypse looks like. So I guess the Mayan collapse would also work.
>>
>>844891

Finally, someone with a clue.

I respectfully disagree. Qin unified the states comprising China and laid the foundations for the continuance of the unified civilization, if not a direct bloodline. His work was not to be undone, but rather enacted upon. The Han said, hey nice empire, I think I'll take it, and operated using the principles that Qin and his advisers laid out. The Romans did not have direct bloodlines either, but a series of dynasties. And yes, the country is still named after him, quite an ego.

Jesus H. (H for hue) Caesar wept at the age of 38 for not having conquered anything, while Qin had done it all by age 39, at which time he went "mercurypill me lol" and tried to achieve biological immortality by poisoning himself, before being entombed somewhere in a city-sized mausoleum. Qin is of central importance to Chinese unification, while Rome needs 2-4 emperors to equal his accomplishments for Europe.

Both empires lasted for approximately as long, but the idea of Chinese civilization is vaster and has more continuity than Rome's former glory, or the idea of a unified European civilization.
>>
>>844922
>So I guess the Mayan collapse would also work.

What theories do people have about the Mayan collapse again? Excessive building and unsustainable deforestation or something?
>>
>>845129
Someone answer please
>>
>>845018
He wept because he wasn't Alexander desu. Also you say that the idea of chinese civilization is vaster and has more continuity, but is this really a huge deal?

Rome's self proclaimed successors may not have as much direct linkage and continuity as the successive Chinese empires but Greco-Roman ideals and thought play such a huge, albeit often silent role in how western society has been shaped and its polity today that it would be simplistic to trade appearance for substance.

I mean in law we study the impact of the roman law even today, and I say this coming from a common law system. It's impact on the development of the common law was profound.

t chink law student
>>
>>845394
>>845394
To state the obvious somewhat, China had a huge influence on East Asian societies, comprising 1/3rd of the world population, which includes intellectual elite countries like Korea and Japan.

I haven't taken law into consideration, but my brother studied the law, so I'll get reading on that soon.
>>
>>839722
The invention of writing, or maybe the beginning of speech. A close contender would be the first group to decide to stay in one place permanently instead of being nomadic.
Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.