[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Mao theDong actually evil or is that just another meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8
File: portrait.jpg (455 KB, 689x912) Image search: [Google]
portrait.jpg
455 KB, 689x912
Was Mao theDong actually evil or is that just another meme?
Sure, many millions of people in China died, but he also did good things like: educational reforms, cleaning up the agriculture, building factories and schools, giving free meals for the poor, starting an extensive space program and other stuff too. Today China is the biggest country in the world, with a strong economy, very advanced infrastructure and trains. Would China really be in the same position today without Mao?
>>
>>748413
Mao dindu nuffin except make his regional overseers scared of him and thus they over-represented the success of like having iron smelters in regular peoples' houses or moving all the intellectuals out to the boonies to farm
>>
File: praise deng.jpg (43 KB, 853x580) Image search: [Google]
praise deng.jpg
43 KB, 853x580
The real meme is the thought that he was competent in anything that wasn't military oriented.

But, overall, he did what any other competent Chinese leader should have done, which is unite China in one single nation-state.

Economically, there's a reason why the Dengists are the majority in the CCP right now, and Mao is shunned and kept as some sorta "father of the nation" figure.
>>
>>748434
>moving all the intellectuals out to the boonies to farm
You do realize that did not actually happen, do you?
>>
>>748500
Hell I dunno that's what they taught us at American Reeducation Camp
>>
File: 1456331791399.jpg (141 KB, 800x989) Image search: [Google]
1456331791399.jpg
141 KB, 800x989
>>748413
>Sure, many millions of people in China died, but
Reds in a nutshell
>>
File: himZD0M.gif (993 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
himZD0M.gif
993 KB, 250x250
>>748436
> tibet ain't free
>>
>>748413
>1.3 billion chinese

I don't know a better way to screw up your own people for centuries.
>>
>>748500
It didn't happen how it was described, but it did happen. I met a woman, a professor at tsinghua university in Beijing who was attending university at the time of the cultural revolution. She said that she and a lot of her classmates were taken to live and learn from the farmers for a semester. That's pretty much it.
>>
>>748500
>did not actually happen
Are you one of those commie denialists? You guys are just as bad as the holocaust deniers. Mao put a lot of people to work in farms, intelectuals included, I seem to remember that if you wanted to go to university in Mao china, you had to do 1 year at a farm doing manual labor, if lucky, otherwise you were just killed by the mobs when the cultural revolution happened.
>>
Pure fucking evil.

Part of the reason for the Sino-Soviet split was the Russians realizing Mao was batshit insane. If they had given the Chinese the nuclear bomb earlier than when they got it. Mao would have tried to start a nuclear war.
>>
>>748413
> millions of people
Are you completely brain dead? What does it matter if you now have access to school if you die during the process. I believe in freedom of speech as any other, but i think they should make an exception for guys like you.
>>
File: ROFL_MAO.jpg (30 KB, 381x280) Image search: [Google]
ROFL_MAO.jpg
30 KB, 381x280
> tfw exporting grain in the middle of a famine your policies directly caused
>>
He's not evil in the same way as, say, Stalin.

He didn't actively exterminate his population, they just died because he was a really really shit ruler
>>
>>748500
It happened a lot, my uncle got sent out to Inner Mongolia to educate some peasants. Instead the Mongolians taught him how to shoot rifles from horseback and he said it was generally a surprisingly pleasant experience. Not all intellectuals were this lucky, though.
>>
>>748413
I guess he's alright if you didn't starve when he ruled.
>>
File: Red guard qt.jpg (40 KB, 367x600) Image search: [Google]
Red guard qt.jpg
40 KB, 367x600
>>748545
>Part of the reason for the Sino-Soviet split was the Russians realizing Mao was batshit insane. If they had given the Chinese the nuclear bomb earlier than when they got it. Mao would have tried to start a nuclear war.
>mfw revisionism.
Other fucking way around. Chinese wanted the split.

Russians want to be boss-nigger of Commie World.
Chinese didn't like that at all. The whole fucking communist regime's justification rested on them not looking like white stooges (i.e. like the KMT, justified or unjustified that view was.)
>>
File: maodindu.jpg (33 KB, 450x800) Image search: [Google]
maodindu.jpg
33 KB, 450x800
>>748888
Hitler quads speaks the truth
>>
>>748888
Russia may have wanted to be the boss of the Commies but that doesn't make the split anyone's specific fault. Actually, I would place the blame more on Russia than China since Kruschev went around and started shitting on Mao's idol and DeStalinizing without warning him he was gonna do it.
>>
>>748500
Except university students were literally sent to rural areas as part of their degrees or some shit.
>>
Honestly, Mao may have done a lot of good for China in the long run but as a person he was actually a really narrow minded despot who preyed on women. Read (or read a summary of) Private Life of Chairman Mao to know what I'm talking about.
>>
>>749881
>preying on women
>bad

sick of this sjw shit desu especially when we're talking about mao and the millions of lives destroyed by his """""policies"""" and you cry about him having a harem.
>>
>>749881
He shouldn't be the face of the Communist party. It should be Deng.

He should be the revolutionary leader, but his face should not be plastered everywhere for the fucks ups he did.
>>
As evil as Stalin, Hitler, Franco, Pinochet, Fidel, etc.
That is to say, not evil, just smart.
Tolerating public dissent is a STUPID strategy. You're basically saying "just subvert my shit up senpai" when you allow sedition tbqfh
>>
>>749909
I thought by making the "narrow minded despot" part the first would make it the primary problem i have with him but clearly the only option is to strawman me because i mentioned his habit of womanizing. Here's an actual list of problems I have with him with the womanizer part mentioned last so it doesn't offend you:
>completely ignored all criticism from his colleagues no matter how much they extolled his greatness in the process because he was a giant crybaby, literally expelled Peng Dehuai because he suggested Mao "investigate the cadres"
>put completely incompetent people in power because they sang his praises (see Lin Biao)
>the whole "dogmatist" argument is fucking retarded
>Korean War
>betrayed all his closest friends
>ignored all criticism regarding the GLF and Kruschev saying it was a bad idea made him have a crisis of inferiority and he intensified the GLF to prove it was a good idea, which resulted in 20 million-35 million people starving to death
>refuses to take responsibility for any of his actions
>he didnt start the Cultural Revolution but he endorsed it because it fed his ego
>gave military grade equipment to Red Guards
>used his power to prey on young chinese ladies tryna get some Glorious Leader cock

If anyone wants to add to this be my guest
>>
>>748532
>I met a woman, a professor at tsinghua university in Beijing who was attending university at the time of the cultural revolution. She said that she and a lot of her classmates were taken to live and learn from the farmers for a semester. That's pretty much it.
Sound reasonable as fuck to me.
>>
>>748413
The lack of historical knowledge on this board is appalling but not surprising.

Many millions of people dying in China has been the essential mainstay of Chinese demographics since there have been millions of people in China, which happened a long ass fucking time ago. On the one hand, this is just unavoidable just because of the huge scale of the population. 3% of one million will always be smaller than 3% of 300 million. On the other hand, China has always had famines and starvation is just expected. That is, up until communists under Mao instituted the communes and modern agrarian practices, which increased the amount of food being produced and the way this food was distributed (that is, it was distributed by the farmers themselves and not hoarded by the landlords), creating the first time in all of Chinese history where starvation and deaths during a famine were almost negligible. Never mind that the Three Bad Years was the last time such a thing even happened.

Check out Hinton and Gao and shut the fuck up with this >evil thought-terminating cliche bullshit.
>>
>>751456
Maoists really are banal retards.
>>
>>750005
mate I'm not that guy but I get where he's coming from. It does sound a bit odd to place Mao's numerous faults on the same level as his abuse of women. It's like saying that Hitler killed millions of jews, gypsies, handicapped etc and had bad fashion sense.
>>
File: Chinese Relief Soldiers Korea.jpg (90 KB, 500x782) Image search: [Google]
Chinese Relief Soldiers Korea.jpg
90 KB, 500x782
>>750005
>Korean War
>A fuck up
Dude, what? The Korean War cemented PRC's then-shaky reputation as China's ruler.

Sure it was a fucking costly stalemate, but all the Chinese public saw was western forces retreating in the face of a Chinese assault for the first time. Literally skyrocketed the legitimacy of the Gommies.
>>
>>748532
Isn't that what agriculture science now is doing? Mao confirmed for visionary.

Praise Chairman Mao and Comrade Jason Unruhe.
>>
>>750005
And?...
>>
>>748413
Mao was a pretty terrible leader.

One of his worst achievements was actively perpetuating internal conflict within the party which effectively paralyzed the administrative body of the country for decades.
>>
>>751674
Honestly yeah it was my mistake to put those those two things together, they were just the first two things that came to mind.
>>751687
I was mostly referring to the stalemate aspect of it. I wonder what air force member had the credit for dropping a bomb on the base Mao's son was stationed it.
>>753488
Civilians fired AA guns into crowds of people.
>>
>>751480
>I have no arguments, better call him a retard!
>>
>>748413
opportunity cost

without communism china would be like the asian tigers and develop into a 1st world country like taiwan in 20 years, instead, even with modern technology, china barely developed at all, standards of living remained lower than they were before the japs invaded
>>
>>748815
Nah he just got the people to do it for him with the Red Guard terrorizing you if you didn't melt your rusty wok for pig iron
>>
>>753662
I have to disagree. Of course, there are still many poor, underdeveloped villages in China, but thanks to Mao, the Chinese were the first to send a man into space, started building bullet-trains and supersonic jets as early as in the 70-ies, and became one of the leading countries in the scientific world in the 80-ies.
>>
>>748413

Drug addiction was a persistent problem for Chinese leaders even into the Civil War period and after.

Under Mao, the Communists engaged in a policy of abstaining from opium themselves, while deriving cash from indirectly exporting it to their foes (KMT, Japan). Pretty clever.

I don't if this is true, but Jonathan Fenby claims it somewhere in one of his recent books.
>>
>>753662
U wot m8

Taiwan was a shit tier authoritarian state until the 90's. When I visited in 95' it was literally a police state.

Taiwan is not even truly first world. It's poorer than Spain.

Taiwan also had the benefit of getting tons of US aid, defense guarantees, US trade ties, Japanese investment, and a lot of wealthy former Mainlanders.
Taiwan in 1949 was one of the more developed provinces and most people were literate.

In my opinion China would be just as shitty as it is now, and maybe not even unified, if it tried going to democracy route. But nowadays.... It needs to advance politically. The CCP has been in control for too long.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.