[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is he the greatest general in human history? Are the stories
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7
File: hannibal_bloimage.jpg (103 KB, 600x347) Image search: [Google]
hannibal_bloimage.jpg
103 KB, 600x347
Is he the greatest general in human history? Are the stories about him more legend than history?
>>
>>72338

>Is he the greatest general in human history?

I'm not even sure I'd rate him top 5.

I mean, you have either Genghis Khan or Subotai, depending on which one you credit as the real geinus behind the Mongolian conquests, you've got Napoleon, you've got Alexander, you've got guys like Guo Ziyi and Khalid Ibn Al-Walid. Do you think Hannibal is better than any of them?

>Are the stories about him more legend than history?

Probably in regards to the ones about his personality, quotes, and habits. His decisive victories in the Second Punic war are pretty well established though.
>>
>>72338
>Is he the greatest general in human history?
No, he couldn't even take Rome. I would personally probably say Belisarius was the greatest in history simply because he conquered Italy and North Africa as well as frequently defeating the Persians and Bulgars despite often having too few soldiers.
>>
File: hannibal12.jpg (88 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
hannibal12.jpg
88 KB, 500x334
>Hannibal
>a man living in Africa at the time
>white
When will this meme die?
>>
>>72338
He's not even in the top 10.
>>
That's not what Scipio Africanus looked like. Is that the wrong picture?
>>
File: Wut.jpg (15 KB, 300x255) Image search: [Google]
Wut.jpg
15 KB, 300x255
>>74364
The Father of Strategy not in the top 10?
>>
>>74309
>what is a phoenician
>>
>Hannibal better than Lennart Torstensson
Lmao
>>
>>74524
He's not the father of strategy, he took lessons from a greek strategist himself.
>>
>>72338
>greatest general
>lost

There are several generals who never lost once in their campaigns.
>>
>>74917
Why not just go with Gustavus Adolphus himself then?
>>
>>74965
Rating generals is pretty subjective.
>>
File: hannibal_barca.jpg (8 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
hannibal_barca.jpg
8 KB, 225x225
>>72338
Well I don't know it's not like generals for the past 1500 years have studied Cannae, and either deemed it impossible or tried to replicate it and fail.
>>
>>72433
>His decisive victories in the Second Punic war are pretty well established though.
Isn't Polybius the only source?
>>
>>72433
Hannibal wasn't as ambitious and served the state of Carthage, he was by no means the state of Carthage.

Had he been sole ruler and a self serving despot of Carthage the 2nd Punic War would have probably gone much differently and this question wouldn't even be up for debate.

I think people like Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar or Genghis Khan should be in a league of their own and not compared to people that were limited within a system they were unwilling to break away from.
>>
>>74309
He wasn't black either, Jamal.
See >>74806
He was also half Spaniard with maybe a dash of Berber.
>>
File: Hanniba.jpg (29 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
Hanniba.jpg
29 KB, 500x250
>>74309
>Hannibal
>black
>>
Napoleon.
>>
>>75900
>half Spaniard
How so? Nothing is known about his mother and the Phoenicians rarely bred with their subjects (especially the nobility)
>>
>>78263
Objectively true.
>>
File: j6tky8.jpg (24 KB, 500x274) Image search: [Google]
j6tky8.jpg
24 KB, 500x274
>>72338
mufuggin kingz
>>
>>78338
>North Africans
>Ever Black
>>
>>78709
WE WUZ CONQISTADORZ
>>
>>74806
A Semite more like an Arab than a white man.
>>
>>72338

He was impressive but he wasn't the best
>>
File: 48777_laughing-evil-hank-hill.gif (949 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
48777_laughing-evil-hank-hill.gif
949 KB, 400x300
>>78263
>>78263
>>78263
This. Why is this thread still up?
>>
>>79377

Because Subotai>Napoleon.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.