[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ancient Greek Language
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 184
Thread images: 10
File: ancient-greek-language.jpg (3 MB, 3504x2336) Image search: [Google]
ancient-greek-language.jpg
3 MB, 3504x2336
Will you learn Ancient Greek with me, /his/?
We can make it in to a daily thing, like Japanese threads on /a/.
>>
>>70216
I would prefer to learn Latin, I think. Idk. I'm a Christian, so it would definitely be useful, but maybe not as useful as Latin, really.
>>
>>70244
I'd be open to Latin as well.
>>
>>70216
I took 3 years of it at university if you want to ask anything.
>>
>>70216
I'd be willing to learn Koine Greek, gonna do it when I go to seminary anyways, might as well start.
>>
Latin or any 'mother' language like it such as Sanskrit or a Slavic language would be pretty cool.
>>
>>70216
Lets learn all old indo-european languages for shit and giggles
>>
Greek here,

the introduction to Greek is very hard as it's a completely alien language if you wanna compare it to English or German. However, once you get the basics with the grammar and beginner words and all, it becomes much easier. It's still gonna be pretty weird though, some words are impossible to pronounce properly if you aren't Greek even if you speak it all your life.

It doesn't matter if you begin with modern Greek or ancient or the in between variant that no one uses anymore, you can easily make the jump between them afterwards if you want to, they are very similar languages.
>>
I hope this goes somewhere, I'd love to learn Latin and Ancient Greek. And as far as I understand it, Koine and Ancient Greek aren't any different in writing, just pronunciation.

Proto-Indo European would be near-goddamn impossible, same with Proto-Slavic and Proto-Celtic. I wish there was more information easily available about Proto-Germanic, Gaulish and Brythonic.

Sanskrit wouldn't be that difficult, there's a lot of stuff available to learn it.

Ancient Egyptian generally gets left out when people talk about learning ancient languages, same with Old Persian, though I don't think there's much information on the latter.
>>
Does Linear A and Linear B count?
>>
>>72726
They were pre-Phoenician-influenced Greek languages and were heavily influenced by Egyptian hieroglyphics, but yeah they count, they were spoken by two of the most based civilizations of the Bronze Age.
>>
>>72813
>>72726
Linear A probably doesn't record Greek and we can't decipher it.

Linear B just records Mycenaean Greek, and if you think you want to learn it you should just get started on Homeric Greek and then work backwards into full Mycenaean and Linear B, though I can't imagine why anybody short of a philologist or linguist would want to learn anything pre-Homeric.
>>
>>70216
I have a play from Aristophanes in both my language and Ancient Greek.
It would be cool to be able to read it in ancient greek, I'm into that OP. I like the idea a lot
>>
>>73283
> though I can't imagine why anybody short of a philologist or linguist would want to learn anything pre-Homeric.
To learn more about proto-Hellenic societies maybe?
>>
Can we just have an ancient language general?
>>
Just as a follow up, as some people have shown interest in Latin, it would likely be much easier, as we wouldn't have to learn a new language. Also, to all who speak French, Spanish or Italian, you likely wouldn't struggle too much.
>>
>>73332
The only proto-Hellenic society of Greek-speakers to occupy Greece were the Mycenaeans.

And calling them 'proto-Hellenic' is a misnomer. Mycenaean culture had (at least some) of the same gods, the same geographical distribution, and the same language (Mycenaean Greek was not proto-Greek, and Linear B is all written exactly the same with no regional variation).

Mycenaean art and architecture developed 'independently', but with heavy Minoan and Cycladic influence, eventually absorbing both peoples and cultures.

Also very little you can learn from reading Linear B. All Linear B texts are inventory lists, tax records, receipts, shipping manifests, lists of officials or governing bodies. I think there are a couple of 'dispatches' from Pylos too. They've also all been translated into English and modern Greek, and IPA symbols.

It's a real shame there is so little and that it details such mundane things. Gives us a little insight but not enough to really develop a picture of what Mycenaean society was like.
>>
>>73364
Sounds good to me. What languages shall we cover?
>>
>>70244
There's way much more stuff written in Greek than in Latin. Like ten times more. (I 've read it somewhere on /r/askhistorians before; they based it on some of the thesauri of the languages)
>>
>>73283
>Linear A probably doesn't record Greek and we can't decipher it.
you 're contradicting yourself
and there's most probably Greek written in Linear A along with some other language(s)
>>
>>73681
Yes, of course, I know that. I just don't really have any use for Ancient Greek beyond the bible.
>pleb
I guess, but I've already read the Classics
>>
>>73669
Might I suggest some candidates, most have already been posted?

>Sanskrit
>Ancient Greek (any variety)
>Latin
>Hittite

I've looked at Hittite very briefly but I don't know what sort of resources exist to help learn it.
>>
Latin seems like the best choice.

Sanskrit, Greek, etc. are arguably more interesting but I'm pretty sure Latin has more resources for learning than greek or the others
>>
What's with all the western languages ? Let's learn fucking classical Mongolian! Or is anon t00 pussy?
>>
>>73364
i'd be down for this- how would we organize this? daily exercises, q&a stuff?

i studied classical greek, latin, and old norse for about the equivalent of 6 years. plus 2 years of elementary hieroglyphics. sadly i don't get to use any of these languages in my day to day.

>>73834
>not learning classical japanese
step up familia
>>
>>73731
>>73834
Add in classical Chinese and Manchu. Also, Old and Middle English?
>>73852
I think the first step is consolidating what we want to cover, then finding materials to make an OP.
>>
I'm learning Latin right now at a university level. Honestly, I think maybe a Latin general with some conversations going in Latin would be neat! Same with other ancient languages. However , I'm sure the posts would just dissolve into shit posting in dead languages. Still fun though.
>>
I'd rather learn cuneiform.
>>
>>73920
For what language?
>>
>>73711
>probably doesn't
>and we can't know for sure

That isn't a contradiction. If it did contain Greek to the point the language it was written in was Greek chances are we'd have made more progress with it, especially since Linear B borrows symbols from it.

We've got two scripts used for writing Greek, Greek translated into Egyptian and Hittite and Latin, and we've got over 200 years of comparative analysis of Indo-European languages to Greek.

I'm not saying it -can't- be Greek, I'm just not convinced that it does.

For one thing Linear A predates the arrival of Greek speaker to the Greece peninsula. Too there is continuity of Minoan Palatial centers from the advent of Linear A until their decline and the rise of the Mycenaeans and appearance of Linear B.
>>
I wanna learn PIE desu
>>
>>73283
>Linear A probably doesn't record Greek and we can't decipher it.

This meme needs to die. We can mostly decipher it (and in a small part even the Cretan Hieroglyphs) because of its similarity to Linear B. It's just that it records an indigenous Cretan, non-Indo-European language, so it's extremely hard to understand what is written here.

Not all hope is lost though: Etruscancs seem to have had some deep ties with Minoans and it turns out that there are very convincing similarities between their languages (google the Tyrrhenian language family). Indo-Europeans preserved translations of some Etruscan words and it can be actually used to very fragmentarily translate some of the Linear A texts.
>>
>>73920
>>
>>73997
Proto-Semitic or Sumerian is more interesting desu imo.

Slightly related, what are the word cognates in Proto-Afroasiatic if anyone knows? As far as I know, the only thing really obviously in common is the 'tyn verb paradigm.
>>
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1COmoKd0EBQN-oiK2RgxWd9o1f-GZwtMJMRwzKEL3FCI/viewform?usp=send_form
>>
>>70216
I'm learning it right now, I'd love to have a group to practice with!
>>
>>74096
>Ancient Egyptian/Old Persian

Something I am missing here? They are not even part of the same language families...
>>
Oh shit, I´d love to learn latin with you guys!
>>
>>74137
One guy suggested both so I added them as one. I'm lazy I guess.
>>
>>73321
Aristophanes was great.
>>
>>74096
Thanks anon
>>
>>73908
Anything to help you learn your declensions, even if have to shitpost.
>>
Go with Latin instead. Trust me.

In my Greek and Latin classes, the Latin classes had a 50%~ attrition rate by midterms, and 75% attrition by second year. Greek had a 50% attrition rate after the first two classes, an 80% attrition rate by midterms, and a 90% attrition rate in second year.

Greek is not THAT much harder than Latin, all things considered, but it is much, much, much harder in the first year than Latin, because its morphology is so much more bloated. A week/chapter of Latin was evenly split between a new grammar concept, some new morphology, and then lots of reading practice. Every single Greek chapter was "you done memorising those 650 forms? Here's 650 more, and they're all subtle variations on the previous ones just to really fuck with your head!"

That's not that HARD, really, but it is annoying and boring. /lit/ Latin threads ground to a halt after the first week every single time, and that was /lit/, where the demographics are much more in your favour. Greek wouldn't have gotten past the first twenty minutes.

That said, if anyone wants to learn Greek, check out Hansen & Quinn. Pirate it and see if you can stick it out for five chapters.

>>70626
If you want a piss-easy (basically for kids) primer in Koine, check out Basics of Biblical Greek.
>>
>2k+15
>plebs still not learning Classic Maya

'a'bah niwat desu
>>
>>74096
I'll be posting the results at six. Should we take what, the top three?
>>
>>74196
>alright so here are the seventy thousand different forms for omega verbs, okay memorize these irregular verbs by the way, oh and if this verb ends in omicron, alpha, or any number of other retarded things here are the alternate forms for that. Next week we'll learn a different group of endings for a different group of verbs that will also have irregular endings strewn all over the place have fun

Still shit is fun. Being able to understand bits and pieces of herodtus gets my dick hard, and it's not a big leap from attic to koine.
>>
>>74196
Although Latin is considered to be heavily influenced by Greek, I agree with this guy, as well as >>72672

Greek is pretty much the Dark Souls of languages, very hard to get into but it's great once you get the hang of it. That might take a while though.

Learn both desu senpaitachi.
>>
>>74272
For now, but I think we could add more as we go along
By six, do you mean in 20 minutes?
>>
File: 1401686759185.jpg (81 KB, 456x386) Image search: [Google]
1401686759185.jpg
81 KB, 456x386
>>74288
>finally feel like i'm getting the hang of it
>turn the page over to this week's chapter
>"Athematic Verbs"
>m
>f
>w
>>
>>74297
meant >>72663
not >>72672
>>
>>74302
Yes. Do you want to give it more time?
>>
>>74196
>>74288
>>74318
Y'all should see PIE verbs
>>
>>72672
There's tons of information easily available about Proto-Germanic though, probably more than any other Proto-language.
>>
>>74337
Naw, just wondering since we're probably in different timezones
>>
>>74341
Teach me senpai

One thing I always wanted to know is, if languages get simpler over time (fewer tenses, cases, etc.), and we can see this general degeneration in the reconstructed common PIE ancestor of Greek and Latin, what the FUCK did the first full languages look like? Did they just have like sixty billion fucking tenses? Shouldn't it have started simple and become complex?!
>>
it seems like this stuff is a lot harder to self study than modern languages. do we really think this is viable? having a thread for general chatter is one thing, but i'm not so sure how realistic self study would be. just my 2c
>>
>>74401
Well it would require one hell of a pastebin/archive I'm sure.
>>
>>74401
Greek (attic) and Latin are both not that hard to learn. Greek is hard at first as you try to wrap your mind around all the annoying concepts like accentuation irregular forms and cases/tense, but it really isn't THAT bizarre or complex.
>>
>>74401
It would be a fun project/ secret club. I think this has the potential to restore /his/ to its former glory.
>>
>>74401
Some people learn better in groups.
>>
>>74385
I'd recommend reading pic related

It does a great job at illustrating how languages change over time, and why languages aren't necessarily degrading over time.
>>
>>74401
It is much much easier if you aren't a retard.

9 times out of 10 when someone says they study or know a modern langauge, even in college, they mean they can barely grope through some basic conversation like a gringo. This is because modern language pedagogy rests on its laurels in the assumption that "natural assimilation" means anything, and that it's better to have students ^___^ ~InTerEsTeD aNd EnGaGeD~ ^__^ than sitting at their desks writing out paradigms and getting fingernails removed if they fuck up. The end result is that universities in North America churn out millions of students who think they know German because they got a B- in classes that didn't even teach them basic grammar until third year, and forced them to write German emails and sing party songs instead of reading literary prose.

The classical languages on the other hand, because they're not spoken or "living," are taught the only way languages actually can be: you sit down and you learn the grammar, build your vocab, and keep reading and writing until you stop fucking up. When you see a new word, you know every detail of its function in the sentence, and if you don't, you go back to the book and do that chapter again.

They lend themselves very well to self-study as a result. What does "self-study" mean in a French language thread? It means 20 people download Rosetta Stone and faggot Pimsleur and waste their time for a week before giving up because there's no sense of progress and it's all just fluff. Self-study in Greek or Latin means you are doing chapters that end in real readings, often from actual classical texts. If you can't do those readings, you can't progress, so you at least have an independent metric of success or failure.

Also, learning a classical language in this way will make you a pro at learning modern languages, because you'll cut through all the Rosetta Stone horseshit, locate the one real textbook that teaches by grammar, and never sound like a retarded gringo.
>>
Anyone is interested in Biblical Hebrew?
>>
>>70216
I already study Ancient Greek at University.

Ask me anything.
>>
>>74528
T H I S

"Learning" spanish in high school was a TOTAL waste of time. I remember virtually NOTHING from that class and I took it for two years. In half a semester I understand greek a thousand times better than I EVER understood spanish and I am BAD at greek.
>>
>>74577
A Semitic language mite b kewl
>>
>>74385
Ancient Greek is really not that complex compared to modern, there is an extra case to signify "to whom" and lacks some of the simplifications that exist today for the sake of ease, like using monotonic orthography instead of polytonic.
>>
>>74528
i don't think that's a fair comparison though, living languages are taught to meet different expectations and use cases- most of the time to speak and have conversations in the language. of course, effectiveness of any course / study is contingent on the investment someone makes (thus many of these rosetta learners are doomed to fail, because they don't expect to make that true investment).

i do agree classical languages are not necessarily more challenging, but i don't think it's because we build from vocab and grammar alone (technically you should do this for ALL languages, and if you don't, then whatever you are learning is very flawed). not having to speak is a definite bonus though lol.
>>
>>74385
>if languages get simpler over time (fewer tenses, cases, etc.),
Because they can gain new tenses and cases just as often as they lose them. Latin and Greek both actually have more verb tenses than Proto-Indo-European.
>>
are you pronouncing diphthongs correctly because foreigners generally don't do them well
>>
>>74692
>Ancient Greek is really not that complex compared to modern

topkek, apart from the cases being monumentally simplified?
>>
>>70216
Is it vastly different from Greek today? Is there a lot mutual intelligibility in the speaking and writing? I'd be curious to learn only if I could also use the still used language.
>>
Begin with the Babylonians OP

>>74196
>/lit/ Latin threads ground to a halt after the first week every single time, and that was /lit/, where the demographics are much more in your favour. Greek wouldn't have gotten past the first twenty minutes.
Huh? They had a weekly Greek thread going for months
>>
>>74729
>Because they can gain new tenses and cases just as often as they lose them.
>tfw English is ahead of the curve compared to every other IE language
>>
>>74633
>not Akkadian

Look it up, literally the most majestic and powerful language known to man.
>>
Very excited for this. I'd be down with Latin or Greek.
>>
>>74761
Short answer is no. I have a Greek guy in my class and he says that because of the case system and mood, it would not be possible for him to understand it without some form of study.

That said, there are plenty of words that are precisely the same in Modern Greek, so while a Greek person today might not understand the sentence completely, he might be able to get what it says from context.
>>
>>74742
You're exaggerating anon, other than the extra case to signify "to whom" as well as the dual form, there is not much difference in complexity (polytonal orthography notwithstanding).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Greek_grammar
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Greek_grammar
>>
File: pollresults.png (28 KB, 955x541) Image search: [Google]
pollresults.png
28 KB, 955x541
Here are the results of the poll, ended at 6:00 pm EST. The top three are Latin, Greek, and Sanskrit. Makes me kind of sad because wanted to Confucian shitpost in classical chinese, but I digress.
Without searching particularly hard, I found these resources courtesy of /int/.
http://4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/Classical_Latin
http://4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/Greek
>>
>>74761
You can understand about 70-80% of texts in ancient Greek if you only know modern just from common words and context.
>>
>>74947
Damn, Old English was so close
>>
>>74930
I am aware. But a modern Greek speaker will not understand a text in Ancient Greek without educating him or herself with the grammar.
>>
>>74947
Noice.

How do we progress from here? Does some learned anon start the process of compiling pastebins and shit?
>>
>>74231
Is there enough material for it to be worth learning any of the American languages?
>>
>>74996
He will understand a big portion, but definitely not everything no.
>>
>>72663

>some words are impossible to pronounce properly

Just a myth my dude

Once you get the idea of the IPA wrapped around your head and learn the terms you can pronounce pretty much anything that isn't Taa tier clicks
>>
File: dssfds.jpg (228 KB, 854x495) Image search: [Google]
dssfds.jpg
228 KB, 854x495
>>74955
knock yourself out then m8

none of this is complicated jargon
>>
>>75003
Cherokee has some stuff available.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50By01L7uzY

Obviously most of these are just shots in the dark, but it's still an interesting video.

I'm a total linguistics autist so I'd love a ancient language general.
>>
Will we be learning them all simultaneously or will we be learning one and then moving to the next?
>>
>>75124

Language learning generals have happened on /int/.

Generally, people get incredibly bored, shitpost, and quit, because it takes time and dedication.
>>
I'm a historical linguist. I specialize in Indo-European.

First off, the order of learning should always be:

Latin, then Greek, then Sanskrit

Latin is always the best place to start seeing that memorizing the vocab is less of a burden (more obvious cognates/borrowings), and you can focus on learning the basic structure of a true-blue Indo-European language.

Greek comes next, as people have said, there's a lot more arbitrariness/irregularity in Greek. Once your nuts are huge, you go on to Sanskrit, which should be a breeze by then.

>>72672

There's no meaningful way you can "learn" a proto-language. They're just theoretical constructs, more or less, and constructs that are constantly changing because our knowledge of their descendants is changing.

By the way, there are some ancient languages, like say Hittite, which are basically unlearnable in the same way because our knowledge of their sound/morphological system is incomplete. Hittite is partially written in logographs, which impairs our ability to understand what's actually going on.

>>74528

top kek. mega upboats to this post

>>74385

Naw. Languages generally only simplify when in constant social/economic contact with other languages (this is how English, Chinese, Persian etc. have become extremely un-morphological in a short time). If that's not the case, languages are usually grammaticalizing new categories non-stop: expressions gradually become shortened into morphemes. Take the famous example of the future tense in Spanish/French/other Romance languages: the entire tense was created over a hundred or so years from the Latin infinite and 'have' verb.

>>74341

Frankly, they're not that bad. Reconstructed PIE doesn't have the irregularity in Greek or Sanskrit. So long as you know how the phonological system works, all you have to do is tack on one of the two personal endings to the right stem.
>>
>>75146
/a/ managed to keep their Japanese thread going. Granted they have a lot of no-life neets and a big user base, but if we can't at least manage weekly threads we should be ashamed of ourselves as a group.
>>
>>74975
I was rooting for it, too.
>>74997
>>75124
These are questions we all need to sort out. I'm up for people picking one language and contributing to the thread, thus keeping it alive. In that why we could possibly add the minor languages like Old English without causing too much of a stir. From what I know about /int/'s languages generals, it's a pretty relaxed atmosphere where you go to practice your skills or ask for help.
>>
>>75066
It's not easy, you need to dissect each word and try to find its root to understand the context of each sentence, but it's not super hard either.
>>
File: 1433508832181.png (585 KB, 960x957) Image search: [Google]
1433508832181.png
585 KB, 960x957
>>75066
>mfw I'm studying for a Bachelor's in this shit and I can't even understand half of it
>>
>>75206
can you give some provisional translation then?

it's just too subtle for what you are saying. the grammar is fundamentally different. things as subtle as a single term in a subordinate clause can change a type of clause into a completely different type - using word for "not" instead of the other word for "not" can make a clause go from "therefore we shouldn't do x" to "because we haven't yet done x."
>>
>>75156

>an actual Linguist

finna practice quadralabial consonants n voiced bilabial trills up on ur bitch, nigga
>>
I'll get us rolling once I'm back in my dorm room
>>
>>74947
I know Im late, but there is so much untranslated content in Arabic that is supposedly beautiful to read. Maybe eventually we can get something like that going too.
>>
>>75397
Thanks, kind friendo. Here's an idea; ancient languages and cultures. While we're language learning we can read period books and talk about customs, foods, religion, ect. Just a thought.
>>
>>75124
Add resources to the OP for the top 5 languages we voted for instead of the top 3, and allow everyone to go their own path at their own pace. Just keep the threads going for discussion, helping each other out, and testing what we've learned. Judging by what I've read in this thread, I think there would be enough of a mixture to keep it healthy.
That's what I propose.
Thoughts?
>>
>>75156
>>70404
Hope to find you guys contributing to language threads in the future!

>>75477
>>73364
>>73669
>>73852
no generals allowed
>>
>>73681
Sounds like bullshit.
>>
>>75477
Hell, let's include all the ones that had more than one vote, then let them die off if interest disappears. For regional variety.
>>
>>75506
>no generals allowed
That's not what it says in the sticky, backseat moderator.
>>
>>75635
>the creation of "general" threads is discouraged.
Consider yourselves discouraged. >:(
>>
>>75477
>>75506
for organizational reasons, i'd prefer language specific threads for the major players. it'd be a lot easier to search for resources and look up older threads with relevant info this way. is it already decided we're doing an all-encompassing general?
>>
>>73715
>don't have use beyond the Bible
How about, I dunno, the Greeks???
>>
>>75436
I would like to do Arabic too, but technically Arabic is not an "ancient language" since it is not directly attested before 400CE (the marker of the end of "Antiquity"). Obviously though pre-classical Arabic, Proto-Arabic existed then of course, all the way back to the Central Semitic language split.
>>
>>75661
I think if the mods see that it's goal is noble and pure and not a giant excuse for circlejerk and shitposting. They will turn a blind eye. It all depends on how we conduct ourselves really, if we shitpost and act like retards it will probably get closed down, if we act like people who actually want to learn some ancient languages, maybe not.
>>
>>75671
I believe how we will run this is still up for discussion. Maybe we should have a vote for generals versus specifics? Or will that get too complicated?
>>
>>75737

You could argue it is, considering modern standard arabic is literally using the Qur'an for its standards.
>>
>>74761
Yes.
To make you understand, it is Much easier to learn Modern Greek while knowing Ancient Greek than it is to learn Italian via Latin.
There was a multilingual guy on youtube (dekaglossai) who was talking about his experience on that and compared the hours he needed to learn. I don't remember the exact numbers but Modern Greek needed like less than half of the hours that were need for Italian.
>>
>>73715
There is a GIANT body of work in classical attic Greek, like almost a millenia worth of shit. From like fucking Plato and earlier, to Procopius of Caesura (his stuff is really funny to read by the way, if only because of how he tries to weasel out of using any of the new words in common usage at the time.)
>>
>>75760
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1SJ4EzlhAHM4_Mp04_QDeYcnsKdIVgarDr-2eOghX7fQ/viewform
>>
>>75820
Thanks, when will polling stop?
>>
>>75760
we should do language specific threads to reduce shitposting and bait prone to generals. If we do this, i can spearhead the latin thread (much easier to manage this way).

otherwise resource list and thread information would get lost easily.

>>75820
thanks, voted!
>>
>>75820
I'm voting for top three, but only in the sense that the thread should be specifically focused on those three, the more minor languages should be allowed alongside too, but my gut tells me they won't have enough interest over time.
>>
>>75820
I doubt mods will like separate threads
>>
>>75866
The last option seems to describe your view point perfectly, why not vote for that?
>>
>>75861
That's way too many generals.
The thread can't be pushed off the board with the lapse between posting rates.
Also, consider the number of threads, the number of individuals contributing to the resources, and anything else regarding the number of posters actually learning that language.
>>
>>75860
Polling will cease at 7:20 EST. If for whatever reason this thread dies beforehand, I will post the results in another one.
>>
http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~ancgreek/ancient_greek_start.html

This looks like at least a good place to start learning Ancient Greek Pronunciation
>>
>>75914
Early splitting might be a really bad idea, we don't know how interest is gonna come and go. I think we should remain flexible at the start. Maybe this will take off in a big way and we can start splitting off as languages gain enough constant posters to support their own threads, or start crowding out other discussions. However, it could just as easily end up being a smattering of discussion between two or three languages that manages to support just one thread at a time.
>>
>>75766
But Muhammad did not live in "Antiquity" since that is usually defined as pre-400 AD. Quranic Arabic thus is not "ancient", neither is any pre-Islamic attestation since they are all post-400 AD
>>
>>76005
>smattering of discussion between two or three languages that manages to support just one thread at a time.
Which sounds far more likely.
How many individuals were voting for a language they want to learn as opposed to voting for a language they are interested / were already considering learning
>>
File: amhran+na+bfiann.jpg (20 KB, 448x236) Image search: [Google]
amhran+na+bfiann.jpg
20 KB, 448x236
Why doesn't everyone on /his/ just learn Irish?

Most beautiful language out there and even the almighty British Empire couldn't put it down after 500 years of genocide and tyranny. Also there's plenty of material on how to learn it and it gives you access to a lot of classic Irish literature as well as a gateway to other Celtic languages.
>>
>>76054
>access to a lot of classic Irish literature as well as a gateway to other Celtic languages.
They sell that in units where I live
>>
File: aTVSO3s.png (103 KB, 624x434) Image search: [Google]
aTVSO3s.png
103 KB, 624x434
How to learn Ancient Greek and/or Latin

1-Get out of 4chan
2-Get Learn to Read Greek/ Learn To Read Latin from Yale Press. (Tried a lot of books, athenaze, cambridge, wheelock, lingua latine per se Illustrata, personally Yale's books are the best, very comprehensive and very recently published)
3-Mail the Yale Publishers to get the answerkey webpage
4-Began to study, ask any questions you have on plebbit/4chinz/language forums

Beware:
1-You can only learn a langauge on your own, avoid group studies.
2-Everyone has a different method / pace in learning, you might even find some other book better etc

t. ancient history phd fag
>>
>>76054
>Why doesn't everyone on /his/ just learn Irish?
Because the way they show palatalization is retarded tbf.
>>
>>76051
I'm currently learning greek, and just wanted to have some people to learn with and help learn. A slightly less stuffy grade based environment, you know?
>>
>>76127
I'm sure you're not the only one.
But I'm not totally convinced in any sense of proportionality.
East vs West language generals would clear this right up. If one dies, you can just merge it into a larger general; if posting grows too often, you can fracture it.
>>
>>75994
>mfw former advisor's page is posted
feels good man

>>75923
i meant top 3 languages should get their own, or at least some sense of separation. for example, greek & latin together is doable, and definitely should maintain enough interest to stay alive. otherwise it gets far too convoluted to put them all together.
>>
File: 1427553368177.jpg (55 KB, 720x485) Image search: [Google]
1427553368177.jpg
55 KB, 720x485
>>76123
>>76071
gee it sure is easy to spot the saxon foe
>>
>>76091
Could also get the Reading Greek series of books.

Just a heads up, even though they are kind of expensive.
>>
>>76255
No, but seriously. How am I supposed to know whether "fear" is 'fyar' or 'fyer'? Why didn't they just write a y after the slender consonant?
>>
>>76091

This is exactly right. It would be great to have an online community of people who come here and shitpost in Latin, but when it comes down to it, you have to do the learning yourself. Language threads are for fun/a reward.

Hey faggots, go to textkit dot com, and download Collar and Daniel's Beginner's Latin Book and start going through it now. Print that shit out on half pages if you have to. But go through it or learn it and then come here funpost.
>>
>>75066
>>75252
OK fuck me this was pretty hard, basically because it's heavily philosophical and I was shit outta luck with many words.

Anyway, I did my best, parts with (?) probably have the wrong context:

"breaking the lyre and destroying the string(s), using the same argument as you, that the harmony does not disappear - no one can imagine that the lyre with the strings that are mortal and breaking (?), and the harmony which is divine and immortal, disappears before the mortal - but it is obvious that the harmony must be somewhere, and the wood and strings are destroyed first before anything happens to that (harmony) - that thought, Socrates, is something that you've also thought of, that such is what we consider the soul, that the body is held by hot, cold, dry and wet, then the soul is constituted by the harmony of all those together - but when the soul loses its harmony, when the body breaks down completely due to disease or other injury, then the soul perishes at once, divine as it is, like harmony of music and other works of art, the remains of the body can remain for a long time, until they are burnt or decayed - what do we say (?), if the soul dies first to disappear in what we call death."
>>
>>76371
I also did that (as far as I recall reading greek of the join classical association uk) Yale press was better, at least for me

far more brutal far more comprehensive with no bullshit information
>>
>>75156

Where I have to start for learning Latin? Maybe private lessons?
>>
File: pollresults.png (30 KB, 1041x605) Image search: [Google]
pollresults.png
30 KB, 1041x605
>>
>>76677
I was more interested in Old English and classical Chinese, but that's how the results worked out.
>>
>>76965
it's not like we can't do those eventually
>>
Spaniard here (although trilingual in English, Spanish and Portuguese) and I've noticed how much the pronunciation of spoken Modern Greek resembles that of Spanish. Assuming the words are constructed similarly (that is, each word sounds the exact same as when it gets read, unlike English), would it be easier for me to learn Ancient Greek? Moreover, I'm currently doing History and Archaeology, so I believe it would give me a broader understanding of Hellenistic sources if I was to read them in the language they were written instead of the English translations.
>>
>>77115
>Spanish and Portuguese
kek, like those count seperately in terms of knowing languages. That's like Danish and Swedish. Yeah, they are different languages, but if you know one, it's like having to learn half (maybe even less) a language for the next.

>I've noticed how much the pronunciation of spoken Modern Greek resembles that of Spanish.
How? They have a bunch of phonemes you lack (Ancient Greek is more similar phonetically to Spanish).

>Assuming the words are constructed similarly (that is, each word sounds the exact same as when it gets read, unlike English), would it be easier for me to learn Ancient Greek?
The phonetic reading of Greek is easy and regular. Unlike ancient greek though, one sound does not necessarily correspond to one letter in modern greek.
>>
I know we're not official "begun" yet, but I'm doing my Greek practice and I was wondering if any of you who know greek could help me here.

είς τάς αυτάς συμφοράς

είς αυτάς τάς συμφοράς

I understand αυτάς could mean multiple things here, and in one of these it's supposed to intensify and the other imply the same, but I'm kinda stumped.
>>
>>77115

Spanish isn't really any closer to Greek in origin than English is.

Spanish and Modern Greek do *sound* somewhat similar, but this is mostly an accident of history: both languages have happened upon similar stress patterns and also fricitivize intervocalic voiced stops (so they both end up using sounds that many other European languages don't ( like [ð, ɣ, β])). Ancient Greek is even more different.

But yeah ancient Greek, like Spanish and every other language that wasn't born with extra chromosomes, is read pretty much how it is spelt.
>>
Just stumbled upon this: http://www.lexicity.com
>provides links fo resources for 30 ancient languages
Looks promising.
>>
>>77424
This is really neat, thanks.
>>
>>72463
You know Aramaic and Arabic (semitic languages) have the same sounding alphabet order?

Alpha Beta Gamma Delta in Greek
Alap Bet Gammal Delat in Eastern Aramaic

It's pretty interesting.
>>
>>77743
Maybe it's because the Greeks borrowed the script of Semitics they traded with
The phoenicians used to say their Ox House Camels instead of their ABCs
>>
Thread seems to have gone more quiet now. When will we be starting with Latin? Or is there still work to be done?
>>
>>77835
I think that was it; if a kind latin poster would begin the language thread after gathering resources then we could start. In the meantime I'll be trying to teach myself Old English so I can help out when the time comes.
>>
Why cant we just have a single general for all ancient languages
>>
>>77835
I think we're just waiting on that one guy to start a thread, but I guess anyone could start it. Preferably someone who speaks Latin fluently.
>>
>>77930
>>77915
>>77835
We will have a single thread, wont we? But it'll be primarily dedicated to the 3 with the most votes?

Theres nothing stopping people from posting resources/discussing other languages.

As for when we start: It's an individual process, the thread should serve mostly for questions and answers and the gathering/searching of resources.
>>
>>77930
That's what the thread probably will be.

It will mostly be one language at a time, but if someone has a question about Hittite or Egyptian languages no one will get mad at you for asking. The people who are likely to know that will be using the thread anyway
>>
>>70244
Ancient Greek is a much cooler language imo. Greek is a little harder with the accents and the lack of an ablative
>>
>>77989
I was under the assumption that the 3 languages option meant all of the main ones but one at a time.
>>
>>77989
>>78027
These.
We can't call it "Ancient Language General" and get mad every time somebody talks about an ancient language we didn't vote for.
>>
Can someone tell me why there are different names for Latin? (Vulgar, Pig, Classical) What are differences? Or are they all the same.
>>
>>78127
Classical Latin is a somewhat artificial dialect people wrote in and gave speeches in. Vulgar Latin is what people were speaking in the streets.
>>
>>78127
Pig Latin isn't actual Latin, isn't it?
>>
>>78127
Pig latin isn't an actualy thing. It's a joke.

Think dialects, this is why we have Attic, Ionic, Cyprian, Koine, Pontic etc "greek".
>>
>>78127
Pig latin is a made up language that sounds like latin. You take all the letters of a word before the vowel and move them to the back, then add an "ay" to the end.
igpay atinlay isay easyay.
>>
>>77291
Guess we don't have any greek speakers on right now, or else I'm disgusting them with my retardation.
>>
>>78246
My Greek is very very rusty. I rely heavily on the Liddell & Scott lexicon and my childhood autodidactism.
>>
>>78309
Fair enough, I'm not desperate, I was just hoping someone could clear it up for me a bit.
>>
Okay guys, question. I'm a Classics major but I'm not specializing in languages. Still, I see some value in linguistics and I really like reading about this stuff.

I'm interested in learning, but know only English. These are the languages that interest me:

German
Greek
Ancient Greek
Latin
Sanskrit

I know the first two are beyond the scope of this thread, but where should I begin? For personal reasons I would like to learn Greek asap but I am remarkably terrible at French and Greek already....
>>
>>78400
Start with the Greek.
>>
>>78400
http://4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_/int/_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki#Language_Guides
I'm doing this for the languages I want to learn. I bet German and maybe Greek have DuoLingo resources, which is a pretty acclaimed language learning website.
>>
>>78400
just take an intro class for each of these? they aren't too hard.

i just picked up the textbook for the language i wanted to learn and worked my way through the exercises.
>>
>>78428
Yep.
>>
>>78428
>>78447
>>78452
Start with Greek it is.
Taking intro to Sanskrit next semester it's supposedly pretty fun.
>>
>>78696

>sandhi
>fun
>ever

You been rused m8.
>>
>>77291
You need to put the αυτάς at the beginning of the sentence. Correct syntax would be "αυτάς είς τάς συμφοράς".

Only adjectives can stand between the definitive article and the noun as far as I know.
>>
Are there any IME for ancient scripts?
>>
>>81142
probably but I think they mostly just have special-application UTF fonts and copy/paste
>>
>>79213
Much appreciated
>>
>>73681
Sounds up for debate.
>>
I'm in engineering but want to learn latin, is it possible without intense daily study? (Classes already take up most of my time)

I just want to read Cicero and Lucretius in the original.
>>
>>78934
Oh c'mon anon, it's no impossible to figure out.
[spoiler]See what I did there?[/spoiler]
>>
>>77743
That's because the names of Greek letters often came from middle eastern words ex: Beth (which means house in one of them , excuse my stupidity) turned into beta
Thread replies: 184
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.