[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok /his/ as it was asked in another thread here it comes. Why
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
Ok /his/ as it was asked in another thread here it comes.
Why do people have such a hate against the ottoman empire. I understand that everyone suffered during its decline but during its first 400 or so years of existance it was a rich, powerful and for those times pretty tolerant empire which included all its minorities into the rule of the state.
>>
>>64296
>for those times pretty tolerant empire which included all its minorities into the rule of the state.
Who were forced into servitude if they weren't Muslims and otherwise forbidden from government positions...

Bro.

No.

Ottomans a shit.
>>
>>64318
Ok well they had to become muslim but it did give a lot of piss poor village boys the chance to become wealthy and powerful people.
>>
>>64359
Or have their balls cut off to become eunuchs?
>>
>>64318
>many Christian families were willing to comply with the devşirme because it offered a possibility of social advancement. Conscripts could one day become Janissary colonels, statesmen who might one day return to their home region as governors, or even Grand Viziers or Beylerbeys (governor generals).

>Some of the most famous Janissaries include George Kastrioti Skanderbeg, an Albanian who defected and led a 20‑year Albanian revolt against the Ottomans. Another was Sokollu Mehmed Paşa, a Bosnian who became a grand vizier, served three sultans, and was the de facto ruler of the Ottoman Empire for more than 14 years

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janissaries
>>
>>64389
Those eunuchs were mostly bought from north african pirates which did those things to them already as they served as the best harem guardsand it wasn't that widespread as you would at most need a hundred or so of them.
>>
>>64318

So your only real beef with the Ottomans is that most government positions were closed off to non-Muslims (unless the non-Muslims became Janissaries)?

desu that's a really stupid reason to hate them so much.
>>
>>64452
north africans did crazy slavery
>>
>>64912
Well there was demand for such fucked up things as rulers didn't want to get keked by slaves they needed ones without the means to kek them.
>>
>>64296
If flags were put back you'd realize all the angry posts are from the balkans
>>
>>65595
why are they so butt hurt?
>>
>>64296
>image of a famous mosque in Istanbul (Constantinople)
Kind of subtle, I guess.
>>
>>66554
They were Europe's unwilling bulwark against Arab expansion and paid (and continue to pay) a price for it
>>
>>66624
Arabs didn't expand that far though anyway
>>
>>67910
that doesn't happen in eastern europe, that's an american thing isnt it?
>>
>>67910
this didn't make sense
>>
>>64296

>no pork or booze allowed
>Christian sites converted to mosques or neglected
>non-Muslims enslaved, women forced into harems
>failure to perpetuate legacy of Rome after death of Mehmed II
>crazy brutal succession system for such a sophisticated society
>repeated attempts to conquer the rest of Europe

admittedly, none of these things are particularly evil by the standards of the day. They were hated more for simply being powerful antagonists to the rest of Christian Europe.
>>
S I C K M A N O F E U R O P E
>>
>>69686
Rapes and interracial relationships with the enslaved populance were forbidden by the Sultan.
>>
>>69628
>Thinking the ottomans actually enforced that
lel
>>
>>69628
That crazy brutal succession system admittedly held back on succession crisises causing internal strife and getting more people killed. I actually respect them for being able to pull it off - I know I wouldn't be able to get my 20-so siblings executed.
>>
>>64296
>Why do people have such a hate against the ottoman empire. I understand that everyone suffered during its decline but during its first 400 or so years of existance it was a rich, powerful and for those times pretty tolerant empire which included all its minorities into the rule of the state.

It spent the last 100 years being a decrepit and brutal state. And to make matters worse, coincided of exporting a certain insanity called "nationalism" which made a quiet and peaceful place (sic), the Balkan Peninsula, to explode. On the other hand, there were quiet peoples, such as the Kurds and Armenians, with a deserved reputation of millennial civility (but no), who had the bright idea of sabotaging the Empire. The reaction of the authorities to these uprisings was very painful and unpleasant for everyone involved.
>>
>>64296
Because of the current tensions between the western world and muslims.
Without those I guarantee you'd have people who love this culture the same way we have weeaboos.
But you hate your enemies' culture no matter what.
>>
>>69628

This does not work for Christians (see Millet System). And in practice, neither to Muslims.

>Christian sites converted to mosques or neglected

Only major. The vast majority was in the hands of Christians, under the direct authority of the Orthodox Church, or either under private foundations.

>non-Muslims enslaved, women forced into harems

Let's do it by steps. There was the compulsory recruitment system in the Balkans, to reap Janissaries. There was the practice of capturing prisoners of hostile nations (through razzias), but this was outside the borders of the Empire. And there was the female slaves trade, also captured outside the borders of the Empire.

>failure to perpetuate legacy of Rome after death of Mehmed II

I would not say that. There was a general lack of recognition from the West, and a delegitimization of part of Muscovy.

>crazy brutal succession system for such a sophisticated society

Nothing very different from the Roman system that preceded it.

>repeated attempts to conquer the rest of Europe

And one can blame them for that? Who would not want to conquer the rest of Europe?
>>
>>64296
I am Greek, so I am kind of biased, but during highschool and even uni all that I knew was that the Ottomans were the baddiesand the 1821 revolution was the best thing since sliced bread, even though we did very little and nearly all of the work done was by Britain and Russia
>>
>>70654
Weren't armenians known to be one of the best minorities within the empire untill they started rebelling with russia's help ?
>>
Because 4chan hates non-whites and Turks might as well be blacker than Africans to us.
>>
>>64296
Otttomans a shit.
>>
>>70999
Does it bother you that you, like so many other hapless peoples around the were, were used as a pawn by Britannia?
>>
File: gulbenkian.jpg (174 KB, 800x1091) Image search: [Google]
gulbenkian.jpg
174 KB, 800x1091
>>71278
Indeed. They made up a fairly industrious minority, a small urban elite with great influence. On the other hand, in Ottoman Armenia, during the late nineteenth century, they began to promote secessionist movements, and even militias, with Russian support.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (35 KB, 284x326) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
35 KB, 284x326
>>70725
>Because of the current tensions
The Ottomans and the west have been at war pretty much since they moved into Anatolia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottoman%E2%80%93Habsburg_wars
>>
just >>71450
I wouldn't say used, but Greece and other countries under Ottoman's buttocks were used as an excuse for Europe to divide most of the land between them, I am not complinaning though. All of the land that we lost between the years 1821 and 1922 (yeah 100 years) that was previously gained through wars, was because of our own stupidity
>>
>>64296
Im just sick of seeing turks trying to portrait it has the best damn thing humanity has ever seen
>>
>>66554
The only reason many of those countries exist in the first place is because the people living there revolted against Ottoman rule.

Their entire sense of nationalism is rooted in anti-Ottoman sentiment.
>>
>Until the sixteenth century, it had been an Ottoman tradition that, of the sultan's many sons, the one who succeeded to the tthrone would immediately have all of his brothers strangled, to remove any threat to his position. Sultan Murad III, who ruled from 1574 to 1595, sired more than a hundred children and was survived by twenty sons. The eldest, succeeding to the throne as Memet III, strangled his nineteen brothers and also, to be certain of liquidating any competition, murdered seven of his father's concubines who happened to be pregnant.

Literal barbarian savages.
I also have a liking for Russian history and it upsets me the ridiculous number of Russians the Ottomans enslaved through the Tatars.

Oh and lastly because those stupid fucks used the Parthenon as an ammo dump and got it destroyed.
>>
>>72633

This.

If you read Gibbon on the Ottomans it becomes incredibly obvious how raw a subject it's been for Euros for hundreds and hundreds of years to have muh mussulmen on yuropeen clay. People who think that strife between (post-)Christendom and the ummah is a new thing are retarded, or American.
>>
File: KcjMkRLji.png (40 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
KcjMkRLji.png
40 KB, 1200x1200
>>64296
I forgive the Turks, but we're not square until Hagia Sophia if not all of Constantinople is returned to the Church.

Also because recently Turks have been helping ISIS and bombing Kurds.
>>
>>64296
They were violent degenerate goatfuckers.

Compared to the civilized and refined byzantines.... my heart weeps for constantinople.

To give you an anecdote, after the conquest of constantinople by the sultan mehmet II, the sultan, who was a raging faggot pedophile, asked the grand duke Lucas Notaras to give his 14 year old to him as a sex slave.

Notaras obviously refused, and Mehmet promptly ordered the execution of Notaras and his whole family.

Subhuman savage t*rks
>>
File: Vlad_Tepes_002.jpg (169 KB, 392x483) Image search: [Google]
Vlad_Tepes_002.jpg
169 KB, 392x483
>>74540
vlad should have gutted him
>>
OP, here's your answer: >>74540

There are lots of Byzantineboos IRL, so a lot of them direct actual hatred towards both the Ottoman Empire and modern Turkey.
>>
>>74540
Mate that was written by some butthurt faggot to deface mehmet II, he is known to be a pretty good sultan even giving persecuted christians from europe refuge within his empire.

>>74576
Vlad was truly a savage ruler its not a small feet to impale people on wooden stakes that is pure sadism.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.