[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some moments of history where /his/ and /x/ coincide?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7
File: fatima-message-nm.jpg (46 KB, 314x450) Image search: [Google]
fatima-message-nm.jpg
46 KB, 314x450
What are some moments of history where /his/ and /x/ coincide? That is, what are some genuine historical moments that verge on being totally inexplicable, at least without recourse to spooky stories?
>>
>>408363
None. No supernatural survives scrutiny.
There are currently unexplained things that are definitely hard to figure out for sure right now like qualia, though.
>>
The Munich Talmud was the only complete Talmud known to exist and was penned in 1342 AD. In 1553, the pope ordered the burning of all Talmuds but a few printed copies of the Talmud escaped that edict and found their way to England as well as other countries.

In the uncensored editions of the Talmud there follows this important passage

>
>>
>>408394
If a human lacked qualia, how would their behavior be different from a normal human?
>>
>>408363
Stonehenge has all kinds of wtf surrounding it.
>>
>>408420
You think qualia humans and normal humans are distinct categories?
>>
>>408456
Of all the things you could pick, you pick Stonehenge? Stonehenge is babby's first histories mysteries. It's not even a work of architectural precision like the pyramids, anyone with sufficient time for astrological observation and sufficient population to move heavy stones could have made it. Fuck, it's not even very unique.
>>
>>408411

WHAT DID IT SAY?
>>
>>408459
I think that if there is no difference between them, it disproves the notion of qualia, and if there is a difference between them, it disproves the notion of qualia.
>>
>>408471
Oh vey my son is gay
>>
Rasputin did shit in the 20th century that people aren't sure how he did it and is surrounded with stories of magic.
>>
>>408467
Well damn cunt, it must be hard being the master of /his/ and it's protector.

You can't tell me it's not seriously interesting. It predates anything we know as the British isles today.
>>
>>408583
I'm not denying it's interesting, but it's not really /x/-tier, at least not any more. We know how and why Stonehenge was made, or at least we're fairly certain we do.
>>
>>408599
How then?

And most importantly, by whom?
>>
File: 1443476381324.jpg (80 KB, 300x398) Image search: [Google]
1443476381324.jpg
80 KB, 300x398
>>408480
I like it. That is some Kant-tier philosophy
>>
>>408480
Are you retarded or do you just not know what qualia are? The difficulties in explaining qualia have nothing to do with whether they exist, the existence of qualia is L I T E R A L L Y the most self-evident thing there is.
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qualia/

That said, rephrasing your question as "If a human lacked qualia, how would their behavior be different from a human who possessed qualia?", there are scientifically studied examples of humans who possess sensation of a certain thing but lack the quale of it. It's actually a very interesting phenomena.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blindsight
>>
>>408720
>a very interesting phenomena.
*phenomenon
>>
>>408471
"[spoiler]‘And this they did to Ben Stada in Lydda (suk), and they hung him on the eve of Passover. Ben Stada was Ben Padira. R. Hisda said: ‘The husband was Stada, the paramour Pandira. But was nor the husband Pappos b. Judah? — His mother's name was Stada. But his mother was Miriam, a dresser of woman's hair? (thab tksdn megaddela neshayia): — As they say in Pumbaditha, This woman has turned away (satath da) from her husband, (i.e., committed adultery).’[/spoiler]"
>>
>>408720
>That said, rephrasing your question as "If a human lacked qualia, how would their behavior be different from a human who possessed qualia?", there are scientifically studied examples of humans who possess sensation of a certain thing but lack the quale of it. It's actually a very interesting phenomena.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blindsight

mfw science has proved qualia is just part of the brain, and even it can be broken by having a faulty brain
>>
>>408720
If there is a difference in behavior of qualia-havers vs those without it, it demonstrates that it is not such an impenetrable thing as commonly thought.

But this conundrum only applies to people who try to claim it is an unbreachable mystery.
>>
>>408731
Okay then, I must have misunderstood what you meant by "it disproves the notion".
>>
>>408507
Rasputin is quite interesting. His charm and charisma allegedly also affected animals in addition to people.

Couple his holy trappings with his aura of mysticism and you have the makings for a great hussler.

He could easily get rapport with people, and be very convincing. He was quite hypnotic, and that played a huge part in him getting the Czar and Czarina to eat out of the Palm of his hand.

Now, when Alexi's hemophiliac fits died down, that's quite befuddling. Some say it was placebo, others that Rasputin was just lucky.
>>
>>408507
Rasputin is a literal meme, like half of his stories are fucking fiction.

>it didn't take poison a million bullets and drowning to kill him
>he didn't really magically heal anyone
>that horse cock they have in St. Petersburg very likely isn't his
>>
Ian Stevenson's Reincarnation research

Miracle of the Holy Fire in Jerusalem
>>
>>408363

Absolutely nothing OP.

History is the study of what probably happened. Study of magic is for theologians.
>>
miracle of the sun

>>408872
mundane as fuck
>>
File: yellowemperor_bluehsiao_et.jpg (192 KB, 750x1008) Image search: [Google]
yellowemperor_bluehsiao_et.jpg
192 KB, 750x1008
>>408363
Creation myths and primordialism narratives. That's pretty much it.

Ancient societeies going HURR WE FROM FIRST MAN AND WOMAN to OUR KING'S GREAT GREAT GRANDAD DESCENDED FROM THE SKY AND TAUGHT US CIVILIZATION.

Take for example the Chinese. Their supposed racial founder was the Yellow Emperor. A Dragon in Human Form, teaching the Chinks medicine, agriculture, metallurgy, literacy and football.

The Chinese are taught by a reptilian man. It's pretty /x/
>>
>>408471

It said

"Some of you are alright.
Don't go to germany in the 20th century."
>>
File: Corbis-BE040309.jpg (163 KB, 640x470) Image search: [Google]
Corbis-BE040309.jpg
163 KB, 640x470
The dancing plague is pretty trucking weird.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_mania

>They hardly stopped, and some danced until they broke their ribs and subsequently died. Throughout, dancers screamed, laughed, or cried, and some sang. Bartholomew also notes that observers of dancing mania were sometimes treated violently if they refused to join in. Participants demonstrated odd reactions to the colour red; in A History of Madness in Sixteenth-Century Germany, Midelfort notes they "could not perceive the color red at all", and Bartholomew reports "it was said that dancers could not stand... the color red, often becoming violent on seeing [it]".

>The outbreak began in July 1518, when a woman, Mrs Troffea, began to dance fervently in a street in Strasbourg.[1] This lasted somewhere between four to six days. Within a week, 34 others had joined, and within a month, there were around 400 dancers, predominantly female. Some of these people eventually died from heart attacks, strokes, or exhaustion.[1]

Was it faked accounts? Misinterpreted disease like epilepsy? Hallucinogenics? Secret cults? And potentially even weirder than the issue of why and how it started is the fact that it abruptly ends a couple hundred years ago. It's not a "disease" like schizophrenia where it's here with us today and we understand it now so we can rule out demonic possession.
>>
>>408363

Timur the Lame's tomb contained a curse that whomever violated it would be beset by a terrible invader, worse than himself.

Soviet archeologists penetrated the inner tomb on June 21st, 1941.
>>
>>408866
> it didn't take poison a million bullets and drowning to kill him
This one kind of true. His killers just really retarded and hilariously bad.
>>
>>408583
It does not predate Newgrange, no. So to put it into context, it's not even the oldest or largest megalithic structure in the British Isles.
>>
>>408363
Not too spooky, but I was pretty surprised when I learned that Project MKUltra was an actual thing and not just some conspiracy meme.
>>
inb4 Dyatlov Pass

Anyway, thanks for starting a thread like this. /x/ isn't doing so well, so /his/ will be a better place for discussion about something like this. I don't really have anything to contribute, but here's a bump. We should have historical mysteries threads in general on here too.
>>
>>410846
It gets better. They returned Timur's bones the day the battle of Stalingrad started turning in favor of the Soviets. Obviously a total coincidence and it would've happened exactly the same way regardless, but that's a hilarious coincidence.
>>
I know a lot of people who study humanities post here but this board is still not retarded enough to be asociated by the mouthbreathers of /x/
>>
>>413035
good day fellow STEM gentlesir, I doff my cap to the superior knowledge that you and I are partaking of
>>
From Procopius' Secret History

>And they say his mother said to some of her intimates once that not of Sabbatius her husband, nor of any man was Justinian a son. For when she was about to conceive, there visited a demon, invisible but giving evidence of his presence perceptibly where man consorts with woman, after which he vanished utterly as in a dream.

>And some of those who have been with Justinian at the palace late at night, men who were pure of spirit, have thought they saw a strange demoniac form taking his place. One man said that the Emperor suddenly rose from his throne and walked about, and indeed he was never wont to remain sitting for long, and immediately Justinian's head vanished, while the rest of his body seemed to ebb and flow; whereat the beholder stood aghast and fearful, wondering if his eyes were deceiving him. But presently he perceived the vanished head filling out and joining the body again as strangely as it had left it.

>Another said he stood beside the Emperor as he sat, and of a sudden the face changed into a shapeless mass of flesh, with neither eyebrows nor eyes in their proper places, nor any other distinguishing feature; and after a time the natural appearance of his countenance returned. I write these instances not as one who saw them myself, but heard them from men who were positive they had seen these strange occurrences at the time.
>>
>>408729
> Just part of the brain
As oppose to what?
>>
File: BaselWoodcutting[1].jpg (62 KB, 500x358) Image search: [Google]
BaselWoodcutting[1].jpg
62 KB, 500x358
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1561_celestial_phenomenon_over_Nuremberg
>>
>>413035
/x/ was not always like it is now. In the past it was about, as the an Anon once said, "what if something supernatural existed". Now it's "something supernatural definitely exists, how do I summon a demon". And /his/ can definitely be associated with /x/ material. /x/ is not and never was solely about the paranormal. We discussed mysteries, creepy and weird history, unsolved murders, etc.
>>
File: 1447014687339.png (1 MB, 1181x551) Image search: [Google]
1447014687339.png
1 MB, 1181x551
>>412731
Ted Kaczynski might have been a subject under MK Ultra. He was involved in an experiment where he and other students would write an essay about their beliefs and then have a reader come in and belittle them. Their reactions were studied, measured, and filmed and played back to them several times.
>>
>>413099
this one is trippy
>>
>>408363

Vision of Constantine
>>
>>410838

It was Dionysus.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.