[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the hell so many strong, smart and influential people in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: GodfreyKneller-IsaacNewton-1689.jpg (198 KB, 407x559) Image search: [Google]
GodfreyKneller-IsaacNewton-1689.jpg
198 KB, 407x559
Why the hell so many strong, smart and influential people including famous scientists were interested in such meme things called magick and alchemy? Those magick and alchemy stories are physically impossible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_occultists
>>
>>1410039

Because we are much more smug about our knowledge than they were. Scientific Method to most early scientist was " cool model making that might even correspond to reality a bit.... oh shit that experiment was awesome, how can we make cooler ones?". Where the modern conception of science is that the results of scientific inquiry are more than just fairly accurate models, but that reality can actually be reduced down to them. Thus everything that falls outside of the scope of the physical sciences when dealing with claims about the universe is rejected dogmatically, due to methodological presuppositions born of a misunderstanding of what science actually is. This was a prejudice that most genuinely smart people don't hold.
>>
OP's grammar reminds me of something, I see lots of threads open with the phrase "Why [noun] is [adjective] ?" instead of "Why is [noun] [adjective]?"

I suspect Brazilians but I can't confirm.
>>
File: Giovanni-Pico-della-Mirandola.jpg (15 KB, 181x300) Image search: [Google]
Giovanni-Pico-della-Mirandola.jpg
15 KB, 181x300
>>1410039
>Those magick and alchemy stories are physically impossible.
Which stories are you talking about?

You had wise enlightened men who were looking to rationalize their religion, science, and the philosophy and learning of the ancients.

Read "Oration on the Dignity of Man" (1486) by Giovanni Pico della Mirandola (1463-1494) (Medici was his Patron). It's about 70 pages. A 23 year old (brilliant multi lingual) edge lord takes on the Catholic Church and attempts to combine ancient (and occult) knowledge and Christianity. It had a huge impact on the development of enlightenment and "Renaissance Humanism".
>>
>>1410039
Newton ingested a lot of mercury, and probably died of mercury poisoning. That might explain some of his eccentricities.
>>
Keep believing magic isn't real proles.

Meanwhile the elites who control you are embedded in the occult.
>>
>>1410176

I'm gonna need some sources
>>
>>1410081
If mercury can make one a completely emotionless ubermenshen http://www.sociopathworld.com/2016/06/sociopath-for-day.html , it only makes sense Newton did mercury.
>>
>>1410053
Not really, at least in the early period there was no standard for "science" it was supposedly evidence based but they were really bad at distinguishing good evidence from bad evidence. They would site roman poems as proof witches exist for example.

The time time of alchemy many aspects of chemistry were poorly understood, until someone laid down standards of evidence and started disproving this stuff it seemed reasonable to many people to believe in it.

They were not stupid, they just did not have the body of knowledge or the standards of evidence we have now
>>
>>1410232
Bohemian Grove.
Propaganda Due
>>
>>1410331
>>1410053
These. OP is just a smug asshole who thinks he's a given truth-statement is obvious because he has the benefit of hindsight.

Back before sophisticated technological civilization existed, people's knowledge was less advanced, and their methodologies less refined.
>>
>>1410039
Depends on what you're talking about. We still have them, for the most part, we just use different terms. Marketers tap into quite a bit of what used to be deemed "occult" studies, how the presentation of the physical world effects our emotions.
>>
>>1410039
>2015+1
>Still doesn't believe in Magick

Lol get outta here
>>
>>1410039
Because they didn't really understand things the way we do today. Lots of them were religious too after all.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.