[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stupid Things you've Heard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46
File: Annoyed Picard.jpg (42 KB, 586x449) Image search: [Google]
Annoyed Picard.jpg
42 KB, 586x449
What's the dumbest thing you've heard history related? Mine is when a teacher asked who was president in 1956 and someone legitimately answered Lincoln, not as a joke.
>>
>>1052844

>The Gospels were written by Jesus.

I'm not trying to start an atheist vs Christian debate shitfling here, but I had a HS teacher in all seriousness tell the class that all 4 gospels were attributed to Jesus of Nazareth, and looked confused when someone asked why they had 4 different names then.
>>
File: 1456008905216.gif (1 MB, 328x198) Image search: [Google]
1456008905216.gif
1 MB, 328x198
>>1052844
Chick in 9th grade with me didn't know who the Nazis were.
>>
>>1052844
"America won the Civil War."
>>
"real communism has never been tried"
>>
>>1052856
Technically He Ghost write them.
>>
An archeology professor once explained that AD stood for "After the Death of Christ."
>>
Christian friend had never heard of Eastern Orthodoxy nor any pre-Chalcedonian churches.

He was 21 at the time.
>>
Martin Luther King Jr. freed the slaves
>>
"Davy Crockett...that's the guy who went around planting apple trees right?"

It was a moment of brief but incredible stupidity for Jack, who would, in 4 years, go on to get a 5/5 on his AP US history exam.
>>
>>1052864
lol
>>
College student upon hearing that catholics have reliquaries alleged to contain a splinter of the true cross:
"they had wood back then?!"
>>
>>1054031
I'm going to have nightmares with this one.
>>
>>1052859
Kid thought Hitler was still the German leader.

Also this video. Obviously its cherry picking and they probably asked lots of people who didn't give these answers, but the fact that some people did...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mWtWz_aGyk
>>
>>1054679

> Americans are stupid

>Presented by Australians
>>
I get annoyed by 90% of stuff i hear about history, since its wrong all the fucking time
>>
>>1052863
I hate kids that say this
Where's McCarthy when you need him
>>
>>1054951

In fairness they proved their point.
>>
>>1054979
>>1052863
Why do people still claim this is not true? I mean even if you are retarded just reading wikipedia intro on communism and on SSSR/China/Barma/whatever should make you realize they had nothing in common
>>
>>1052844
6 million repeated from 1900 - 1938
>>
There was once a kid in one of my history classes who said that Abraham's two sons were Jesus and Mohammed
>>
>>1054979
Dead due to liver failure, thankfully
>>
>"The Catholic Church has been around since the creation of Christianity. The idea that it was created later is a Protestant fabrication."
>>
>discussing the battle of britain
>there was a guy who didnt know planes could fly over water in WW2

>where did the bay of pigs invasion force land?
>"the beach"
>>
>>1055094
>>where did the bay of pigs invasion force land?
>>"the beach"
that is entirely, absolutely, 100%, completely correct
>>
>>1052856
Who hired these kind of heathens?!
>>
>>1052844
Literally anything to do with the..."Dark Ages".
>>1054993
Because they want to trigger dumb leftypoletarians who can't distinguish bait from serious posts.
>>
>>1053041
Eh, APUSH was a pushover. Far too easy an exam.
>>
File: 1417543525249.jpg (93 KB, 1060x404) Image search: [Google]
1417543525249.jpg
93 KB, 1060x404
>>1052844

I don't know if this counts, but I had a girl in my masters history tutorial (mandatory part of the course) ask what a 'despot' and 'despotism' meant. She was a native English speaker and somehow managed to be 4 months away from graduating with a ~masters in history~ from a very good school without knowing what fucking despotism was. That one blew my mind.

As for normal stupid shit,

subtle stupid:
>the Catholic church hated and continues to hate science

mid-tier stupid:
>Soviets only fought in World War 2 because Stalin was a brutal dictator who forced them to

Blatant "what the fuck are you even doing" stupid:
>Hitler hated the jews because they were pro-democracy and pro-equality
>>
>>1055092
Catholic just means "universal" according to most Protestant ecclesiology. The term is used in the Nicene Creed which is accepted by all Protestant churches. Only Restorationist movements believe that the catholic (little C) church passed out of existence at one time. All other churches consider themselves catholic or at least part of the catholic or "invisible" church in this sense. The Roman Catholic Church, along with the Orthodox Church (officially the Orthodox Catholic Church, actually) and several other "visible" church organizations claim continuity in succession of bishops all the way back to the original Twelve Apostles.
>>
I'll always remember the one kid at my primary school who thought that things really were black and white in the old days
>>
>>1052860
But it did.
>>
>>1055418
>several other "visible" church organizations claim continuity in succession of bishops all the way back to the original Twelve Apostles.
And Alexander claimed continuity in succession all the way back to Achillies.
>>
>>1055435
It helps that there are historical records going back to the 1st century.
>>
16 year old girl in my history class (I'm 18 guys, don't worry) had no clue when the first world war was, despite the fact that last year we went to Ieper/Ypres to commemorate the 100 year anniversary of the start of the first world war.
>>
>>1052877
the fuck your talking about man
>>
>>1055306
That's true. I got a 5 without studying. Then again, after getting only 4/80 questions wrong on my practice test, I realized I wouldn't need to study and could write pretty trashy essays and still be guaranteed a 5. I'm far prouder of my 4 in AP Euro. Especially because they threw in questions about terrorist groups that weren't technically part of the course. Fortunately I knew what Basque Separatists and the Baader Meinhoff gang were, where many of my classmates did not.
>>
File: famine.gif (36 KB, 522x785) Image search: [Google]
famine.gif
36 KB, 522x785
>>1052844
>Stalin killed Ukrainians for fun

Why does this meme exist?
>>
I asked a girl to point out Syria to me on a map and she pointed to Jordan... even though the country names were on the globe
>>
>>1058384
>anyone who disagrees with stalin is fascist
yeah, no intelligent person is going to buy that
>>
File: 1455228211772.jpg (85 KB, 599x447) Image search: [Google]
1455228211772.jpg
85 KB, 599x447
A girl in high school once said that Christianity was created in Canada.
>>
>>1058403
WAT
>>
>>1058390
no intelligent person would ask you to buy that. what intelligent people would ask you to buy is that a lot of the "evidence" of the Holodomor is based in literal Nazi propaganda that has been diluted over time by potentially well-meaning but ultimately poorly informed western scholars whose disciples (read: a lot of other passive, uncritical readers of history) don't interrogate them because of muh Cold War.
>>
>>1058222
My school would let us leave early our AP Exams if we finished before time.

During my AP World test I got bored, left 2 short answers blank, and still made a 4 on the test

My teacher called me a retarded fuck when he found out
>>
>tfw a guy in high school claimed that his dad had lived on a plantation and owned slaves
>>
File: tumblr_nu6vxnk6YX1qjlllao1_540.jpg (153 KB, 540x474) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nu6vxnk6YX1qjlllao1_540.jpg
153 KB, 540x474
>>1058410
>>
>>1052844

>Discussing WW1 in an AP World History class
>Teacher asks what would be considered the "end" of the war
>Open my mouth to say "Treaty of Versailles"
>Girl next to me blurts out "US DEFEATS NAZIS AND DROPS NUKES ON HIROSHIMA AND NAGASAKI"
>Collective moment of silence in the classroom
>Teacher looks like he's about to throw up
>Shakes his head and steps into his office

This girl literally thought WW1 and WW2 were the same war, no joke, and she had taken an European History course, too.
>>
>>1058449
>tumblr
>>
>Girl keeps insisting India is in South America and not Asia
>tfw she's now in a PhD program
>>
>>1058474
no. no. that's not fucking possible.
>>
File: smile and optimism.jpg (11 KB, 218x231) Image search: [Google]
smile and optimism.jpg
11 KB, 218x231
classmate of mine, in law school at a top 20 school, bachelors in history from UCLA, worked out in the real world as a realtor for several years in between. I was telling a story about a high school student I had tutored who couldn't even point on a US map to where the Rocky Mountain were, and he revealed he didn't know where they were either. I said to his face that was one of the stupidest things I'd heard a supposedly educated adult person say, and asked how on Earth he got through life without basic geographical literacy. He said "they're in Oregon right", and then "it's not like I ever need to know this shit" when I laughed in his face. It scares me that this is the sort of person who will be not only a citizen but an "educated" "professional" in our country. It amazes me how many people have no sense of geography whatsoever, and just live in their local bubbles and see planes and cars (especially with GPS on phones being so commong now) being "teleporters" that just whisk them to another bubble with no sense of change in landscape, climate, etc.

Another time, I mentioned something about British elections, and this same guy also had no idea a parliamentary system was different from a congressional/senatorial system or how a prime minister was different from a president.
>>
>tfw a Geography teacher said knowing a map of the world isn't important to understanding geography
>>
>>1054031
More like saladin has
>>
>>1054679
I could only think of uganda about the u question.

Technically, the u.s. formal name starts with a t, not a u
>>
>>1052844
>Germany invaded Spain in WWII
I mean I know the guy is a science major or something along those lines, but jesus christ man.
>>
>>1055094
>>1055099
>bay of pigs invasion force
Fun fact: our primary force was funded rebels.
>>
>>1054993
Because they actually tried really fucking hard but it didn't work from day 1 so they had to make some adjustments.
>>
>>1052856
That's so weird. Not even Christians believe that.
>>
>>1054031
There's a lot of semi-stupid stuff in this thread, but this one...good lord
>>
>>1055009
He probably just had a brain fart.

Abraham had Issac and Ismael, with Issac's descendants being the Jews and Ismael's the Arabs.
>>
>>1055424
I refuse to believe you
>>
>>1055478
>16 year old girl in my history class (I'm 18 guys, don't worry)
Elaborate
>>
>>1058403
what
>>
>>1052844
Someone literally said to me... That Canada invaded America and started World War 1, I literally left the room, and it was a fucking religion class.
>>
>>1058410
>a lot of the "evidence" of the Holodomor is based in literal Nazi propaganda
This is either /pol/ bait, or you're a dumb commie.

Either way, you have the IQ of a /pol/ack
>>
>>1058458
>literally thought WW1 and WW2 were the same war
the fuck
Did she think it's some Pt. 1, Pt.2 bullshit or something? Did she think it was some basketball game, with German politicians saying "TIMEOUT...alright, let's take Adolf off the bench."
>>
>>1058561
He's right. There's absolutely 0 need to know where the rocky mountains are. You're an autist.
>>
>>1052844

Reminds me when I was 12 some girl of my class couldnt say the name of our président ... Or when I was 16 a girl still In my class, said In a test that Leonardo di Caprio painted Mona Lisa.... The teacher which was very cool said that he showed it to his colleague and they all had a good Laugh
>>
>>1052844

Reminds me when I was 12 some girl of my class couldnt say the name of our président ... Or when I was 16 a girl still In my class, said In a test that Leonardo di Caprio painted Mona Lisa.... The teacher which was very cool said that he showed it to his colleague and they all had a good Laugh
>>
>>1058561
I would've slapped your shit then and there, there's no reason to be an asshole over such a trivial thing as that.
>>
>>1058793
This

Until the parliamentary thing, I thought he was baiting. Who acts that autistic, and then acts proud of it on a Phillipino rugby forum?
>>
>>1052844
Roman Catholics worship saint Mary.
This is more theology than history though
>>
>>1058830
It depends on how you define worship.
>>
>>1058836
Worship=/=Veneration
Fucking Heretics
>>
>>1058838
I'm not Christian, but get a grip

>"venerating" by getting on your knees
>"venerating" by orientating your hands in front a statue
>"venerating" by asking the person represented by the statue to give you things
>>
File: Moseley's manifestation.jpg (37 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Moseley's manifestation.jpg
37 KB, 1280x720
Happened at the start of last semester
>explaining my course content to my roommate over lunch
>telling him we are learning about ancient Mesopotamia
>"Oh, we're still learning about the Aztec."
>"Still?"
>"We haven't gotten to that yet."
>"You... you do realize we're taking different history courses, right?"

He didn't realize that I was taking a world history course and not US history, even as I was telling him we were going through Mesopotamia and Egypt, and he was learning about the Aztec.

He also didn't know what the Roman Empire was, and had never heard of War and Peace until I brought it up.

When I asked him how he didn't know any of these things, he said "I don't read things like you do."

I make complicated jokes about history and politics around him while faking an expectation for him to get the joke, just so I can see his awkward attempt to look like he knows what I'm talking about.
>>
>>1058853
>I make complicated jokes about history and politics around him while faking an expectation for him to get the joke, just so I can see his awkward attempt to look like he knows what I'm talking about.
What's wrong with you? The fuck did he ever do to you?
>>
>>1058817
>look mom, I said "Chinese cartoon forum" in a funny way again!
>>
>>1052863
I mean, the "communist" countries tried to implement it, but changed it from day 1 because no one wants to live in an actual communist country
>>
>>1058864
>Chinese cartoon forum
Wait, is how that started?
>>
>>1058856
Nothing, but also, if I didn't joke about it with him, I would have no one at all to joke about it with other than you autists, and sometimes I need to say things out loud to another person, even if they don't get it.

But he also uses my stuff without my permission.
>>
>>1058883
*and gets high and comes into the room while high.
>>
>Christianity and the church caused and maintained the dark ages

Fucking fedoras pull this bs everytime.
>>
>>1058664
Well if you want to be technical they did operate a bit right before the war helping the nationalists.
>>
>>1058918
Honestly it's an easy mistake for someone who doesn't look into it, it's really not something to be butthurt about.
>>
File: 1457911578867.png (100 KB, 251x238) Image search: [Google]
1457911578867.png
100 KB, 251x238
>>1058410
>a lot of the "evidence" of the Holodomor is based in literal Nazi propaganda that has been diluted over time by potentially well-meaning but ultimately poorly informed western scholars whose disciples (read: a lot of other passive, uncritical readers of history) don't interrogate them because of muh Cold War.

Are...are you for real?
>>
>>1052875
33 years off the books.
>>
>>1058885
You sound fun.
>>
>>1058977
Hey, I don't like my room reeking of marijuana smoke and him making an absurd amount of noise at 11pm the night before class.
>>
File: 1436123500964.png (151 KB, 449x442) Image search: [Google]
1436123500964.png
151 KB, 449x442
>>1058617
Ok this one hurt me.
>>
A kid once said that 9/11 was the start of world war 2
>>
>The great wall of Dublin

Turns out he meant the Berlin Wall
>>
>>1058474
she is just Isabela of Castille
>>
>>1059322
Honestly, I've heard dumber stuff
>>
>Talking about the French Revolution
>Girl named Heather: "Wait, did they have sex back in those days?"
>>
File: 1441443148824.gif (2 MB, 450x253) Image search: [Google]
1441443148824.gif
2 MB, 450x253
Conversation between me and an icelandic kid:

>Him: oh you're from italy? Don't worry, I respect all opinions so I don't have anything against fascism or your country, unlike the americans
>Me: Huh? Are you assuming I'm fascist just because I'm italian? The fascist dictatorship sucked, dude
>Him: So you don't like your government?
>Me: What? You're aware we're a democratic nation now, right?
>Him: Oh, really?
>Me: Yeah, since, you know, the whole ww2 thing which we lost. You know about that, right?
>Him: I know about ww2, I just thought you guys were still under fascism. We don't get many news from the rest of the world up here in iceland.

>mfw
>>
>>1059796

conversation between me and a German guy

>German guy - "I know you Americans steal all your food because you are so poor, but if you steal from me I will kick you in the ass"
>"I buy my food"
>"Oh so you are a rich American, a spoiled sociopath"
>"No"
>"Then why did you go to an American school and study American humanities?"
>"Because...."
>"American schools only teach you how to worship death and have gay sex. You are an uncivilized and stupid spoiled brat"
>>
>>1052844
>Years ago in Uni lecture
>Some blonde bitch literally asked "what was the Soviet Union?"
She was like 21, in a Modern History lecture no excuse
>>
>>1059813
>american schools only teach you how to worship death and have gay sex

he's not wrong. the gays and transfags have made too much noise and the liberals have enabled them too much as well.
>>
>>1059813
But hes right, that sounds like the humanities
>>
We're learning about Germanic tribes at the fall of the Roman Empire, including the Alans.
"Were they called that because everyone in their tribe were named Alan?"
>>
>>1058480
they let literal retards go to college these days.
>>
>>1054679
Honda Hat guy and partially gray haired blue shirted black man said nothing wrong.
>>
My girlfriend:

>Didn't know which countries fought in the Second World War
>Didn't know about Communism and the Cold War
>Thought that unicorns were real until she was sixteen
>Thought seahorses were mythical until she saw them at an aquarium with me when she was twenty-three
>>
File: 1454814934243.jpg (114 KB, 569x535) Image search: [Google]
1454814934243.jpg
114 KB, 569x535
>>1058474
>>
>>1058851
If you serously think Catholics worhsip statues, you are a bigger idiot than most of the people in the stories here
>>
>>1061111
You know the average lay Catholic is not doing the mental gymnastics of a theologian, does not go to Sunday school, barely knows what the bible prescribes, just treats it as a death cult and magic, and performs idolatry, right?
>>
>>1061111
>>1061117
>catholics think idols are fetishes
>>
>>1061111
>W-we don't worship them, we just enshrine them and pray to them!
All right, buddy
>>
>>1054993
>>
>>1058561
I don't know where the Rockies are.
>>
>>1058480
it's the diversity quotas
>>
>>1058561
Can you point out the six great tea mountains of China? Anyone can, providing they're not a mindless sheep.
>>
>at bar discussing how nobody knows any history
>friends think I don't give people enough credit
>"fine, check this out"
>pull random girl from crowd
>"when was the civil war?"
>"haha ummm... I don't know"
>"best idea, it's ok"
>"like... the 70s?"
>"the 70s?"
>"yeah, hehe, like the 1970s. I don't know! haha"
>>
>>1061171
When was the 3 kingdoms period?
>>
>>1061176
Early medieval China? I don't know, who gives a shit? An American student at an American university in America should know that the American Civil War did not take place in the fucking 1970s.
>>
>>1061189
Can your elitism then, autist.
>>
>>1061189
>pull random drunk girl from crowd
>An American student at an American university in America should
I think it's easy to identify the retard in this situation
>>
>>1061197
you?
>>
File: 1458576548836.jpg (52 KB, 454x453) Image search: [Google]
1458576548836.jpg
52 KB, 454x453
I read a review in the Times (the UK's most respectable newspaper) of a production of King Lear. The reviewer wrote how it was impressive for Shakespeare to have written such a realistic play about an old man because he likely would never have met an old person, the life expectancy being so low at that time
>>
>>1061197
>>1061195
Keep defending this level of ignorance

Also she wasn't drunk

Also also this is a thread about the stupidest history related things you've heard, and that was the stupidest history related thing I've heard
>>
Some guy told me that the Holy Roman Empire was indeed Holy, Roman and an Empire
>>
>>1061234
>at a bar
>not drunk
>>
>>1052844
Brother's gf didn't know the viking-era Scandis had developed speech.
>>
>>1061242
Not everyone is an alcoholic degenerate like you
>>
This one girl says she is a communist when you could ask her like anything about the way communism works or it's history and she would probably give you a blank stare.
>>
>>1055424
I thought this when I was like 4 or 5.
>>
>>1061273
>goes to bar to not drink
>only goes there to call drunk people retards and alcoholic degenerates
>>
>>1061286
Some people are capable of drinking in moderation, alchy, and I never called her a retard.
>>
>>1059332
Holy fuck my sides
>>
>>1059813
Fucking 2000% correct at the end.
>>
>>1061257
What the fuck
>>
>>1058748
He goes to community college.
>>
There are people who think that the current year is how old the Earth is.
>>
>>1061056
>Would say shit like this as a joke
>People always took me serious
>"You're weird, anon"
Happened all the time. I practically stopped speaking at all when in school, which only led to people thinking I was even more weird.
>>
>>1059813
>>"American schools only teach you how to worship death and have gay sex. You are an uncivilized and stupid spoiled brat"
Fucking BASED.
>>
Had a girl in my year 11 media class who thought "The holocaust" was a type of gun Hitler used to kill Jews.
We also had to watch the opening scenes of Saving Private Ryan to study the camera angles or some shit
The same girl asked
>Is this real footage?
>Is this the English Civil war
>Why are those french soldiers attacking a beach and speaking AMERICAN
>>
>>1061082
> your bitch
dump her.
Clearly inbred
>>
>>1054979
Tbqh lyin' Joe was no better than most commies.
>>
>>1061082
>this dumb
she must be really hot, lucky you
>>
>>1062688

She has an incredible personality, to be honest. And she isn't stupid, just very ignorant about certain topics.
>>
>>1058664
>What is, the lufftwaffle bombing the rebels for Franco
He wasn't far off.
>>
>>1058774
Why would you be asked at 16 who painted the mona lisa?
>>
>>1062781

In many Anglophone countries this is considered a high school level history or humanities question, not something you learn from the cradle.
>>
>>1060747
>>1060753
>>1061322
>>1062088
Man, you guys went to so interesting as hell schools. All I got was calculus, physics, psychology, english lit, and us history my senior year.
>>
>>1062803
Ha all I had was cinema, drama, ceramics, econ, and English
>>
>>1062852
I could've had that, but I wanted 'dem college credits.
>>
>>1062861
But why do that and go through so much trouble in highschool when a lot of it is useless and you end up having to take general ed for 2 years?
>>
>>1052844
The idea that the french are historically bad at war always annoys me
>>
>>1062803
>he didn't take gay sex 301
i'm sorry but you don't have the qualifications necessary to use this board.
>>
I remember this one from a quiz show:

"Who was assassinated in Dallas in 1963?"

"I'm going to go with J... R?"
>>
>>1062872
>inb4 humble brag
It really wasn't much trouble at all. I had the grades to get in and the idea not to take the most difficult classes I could never crossed my mind. That was the natural course mommy and daddy set me up on.

>>1062875
>Poitiers
>Crecy
>Agincourt

Pantsless diarrhea suffering Englishmen with cheap irish eyehole stabbers?

I don't buy the meme, but they've earned it.
>>
A girl once told me she was telligent, and that intelligent means you're stupid.
>>
>>1061207
You think anything owned by Murdoch can be considered ''the most respectable'' anything?

Reassess your views in life.
>>
File: jlaw2.jpg (27 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
jlaw2.jpg
27 KB, 300x400
>>1062887
kek
>>
>>1062891
The french are literally the most militarily successful nation in europe
>>
>>1062900

WSJ is pretty respectable, their mandatory climate change denial op-eds aside

Beliefnet deteriorated under his watch though
>>
>>1062898

A guy once told me "I'm writing a book. It's nonfiction, you know, like Lord of the Rings."
>>
File: zdb.png (3 MB, 3333x2365) Image search: [Google]
zdb.png
3 MB, 3333x2365
>>1062906
Intellectually I know that, 724 victories iirc, but some of their losses are just pitiable.
>>
A guy I knew in high school told me that Jesus wrote the bible and Jews copied it. After I explained to him he was wrong, he asked his priest who confirmed what I said, but he was still confused.

A woman in college told me that communism was the opposite of feminism, and smurfs were sexist communist propaganda. She also acted like being related to Eva Braun was a big deal, and I was creeped out by how proud she seemed for it.
>>
>be in french literature class
>prof wants to introduce french existentialism by asking if anyone knows what happened in France in 1940
>someone raises their hand and answers "The restoration of the absolute monarchy"
>The are a few snickers here and there, be I, the autist that I am, start this fat laugh that can be distinctly heard throughout the class
>the person turns around to look at me, half humiliated and half angered
>before anything ensues the prof quickly takes over, corrects her, and moves over with an awkward laugh

And that is how I alienated myself from everyone in my first semester of college.
>>
>>1063378
Most people don't have interesting things about them. I'd flaunt being related to Eva too.
>>
File: 407182.jpg (16 KB, 280x350) Image search: [Google]
407182.jpg
16 KB, 280x350
>>1052844
>I want to learn latin so I can read bible in original language
>>
I heard someone say that Belgium is a real country
>>
Too many of my teachers said Judaism was always monotheistic and was the first monotheistic religion. And they got mad when I said it was neither.
>>
>>1062778
no shit, but that doesn't count.
>>1058920
where do you think you are
>>
>>1063378
>smurfs were sexist communist propaganda
did she ever explain her reasoning?
>>
>>1063716
I was too confused to ask, but she said a professor had taught her that. If I had to guess, the smurfs live in a collective and only have one woman.
>>
File: DeCaprio are you serious.jpg (14 KB, 267x323) Image search: [Google]
DeCaprio are you serious.jpg
14 KB, 267x323
>>1052844
3rd Grade Teacher saying that the Atomic Bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were wrong because Japan did nothing wrong in WW2.
>>
>>1063716
I should also add, she could not define communism, but kept asserting it was primarily about sexism.
>>
>>1063653
it was based on and derived from anciet non-monotheist religions, but it was always monotheistic when it was known as judaism
>>
My friends girlfriend thinks that the Egyptian Empire lasted 10,000.

If you are wondering, yes she is an sjw.
>>
>>1052864
I really wish I had my collection of stiner pics on this computer
Because that was the spookiest shit I've ever seen
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 229x278) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 229x278
>Geography teacher
>Istambul is the capital of Turkey
I wish I was kidding. She also voted for the most extreme left-wing party in my country and used to speak about it in class.
>>
>>1052844
>Our tropical island country in the middle of the equator used to have winters and snow, now we don't because global warming.
I can't believe I actually believed this when I was 7 years old.
>>
>>1052844
>the Austro-Hungarian Empire was top-tier

On this very board
>>
>>1063923
We?
>>
>>1064585
>Our tropical island country in the middle of the equator used to have winters and snow, now we don't because global warming.
Unless Ice Age wasn't the meteorologicaly sound film on ancient weather I though it was, wasn't the entire planet cold and snowy and the globe warming changed that.
>>
>>1052844
>war is necessary for technological progress
>>
"Were the British and the Germans working together on D-Day..."

And

"If we know Jesus didn't exist, how do we know Hitler existed..."
>>
There's a kid at my work who was adopted out of Russia and apparently has no idea who Stalin is.

The dumbest thing I've ever heard is my sister asking if we would pass through Alaska soon when we were driving down to Texas.
>>
>"Disco Demolition Night was an expression of homophobia and anti-black racism. The phrase 'Disco Sucks' was actually just coded dog whistle discrimination."
>>
>>1064678
I forgot to add a little bit of context, my history teacher told us back then that it snowed in our country a just only a hundred years ago.
I've known several teachers from other schools that I've got to repeat the same thing even until high school, Idfk where they get that shit.
>>
File: bchurro.jpg (214 KB, 500x470) Image search: [Google]
bchurro.jpg
214 KB, 500x470
Some dumb bitch teacher I had in school used to say romans were 80cm tall. Fucking hell, my brain exploded even as a kid.
>>
>>1064859
>The dumbest thing I've ever heard is my sister asking if we would pass through Alaska soon when we were driving down to Texas.

It is really shocking how ignorant some people are of basic geography. I'm very visual-spatial oriented and I always have a mental map of where I am currently and anything I'm reading about, etc., and it's easy to forget that some people are not like that at ALL. I grew up on Long Island, and I knew a girl in HIGH SCHOOL who literally didn't know it was an actual island. Or which way the city was. Or the ocean. She wasn't stupid, she just didn't care.
>>
>>1063545
I had a similar experience, with someone claiming Ukraine was a real country.
>>
>>1064678
Sao tome?
>>
>>1064639
WUZ
>>
>>1061146
That doesn't answer his question.
>>
>>1061166
They're in Yunnan, right?
>>
>>1061176
Without looking it up, I think it was after the fall of the Han dynasty, so I guess it began around 200 AD

Probably wrong
>>
>>1065241
NEANDERTHALS
>>
>all of the slaves were hunter gatherers living in a jungle before white Christian slave traders came and took them away
>>
>>1064891
>manlet legions

I'm fucking dying.
>>
>>1054031
>>1058403
>>1059322
I kek'ed.
>>
>>1063653
Oh shit this reminds me of something my Religious Education teacher said in high school
>all religions worship the same god
>>
>>1064914
>area is called Long Island
>doesn't know it's an island
>not stupid
>>
>>1065933

This is a common belief among Unitarian Universalists and similar. There *is* an argument to be made for the Abrahamic faiths given their shared histories, beliefs, and parables, but Hindu theology and Shinto beliefs are so drastically different from Abrahamic traditions that the argument flies out of the stadium at that point.
>>
File: 1431903053142.jpg (2 MB, 3112x2338) Image search: [Google]
1431903053142.jpg
2 MB, 3112x2338
>>1066106
A girl in my middle school once asked if communist propaganda after WW2 turned Americans into Koreans or Russians. Years later we're good friends, but like- wow.

>>1065933
I can understand where he/she is coming from. They might give their God/gods different names and personalities, but at one point they're all worshiping or praying to a higher being, and they believe that same higher being is above the people who don't follow their religion too. Theists might all be mailing their faith to different gods, but theoretically it's all going to the same destination, if everyone believes their god is the only god.

It's still a pretty big stretch, but it's not the dumbest thing he could've said.
>>
>>1066470

note to self to save that picture to post and share on July 4th
>>
>>1052844

> Public school, 8'th grade
> One of the popular girls has had enough with history class
> "urrrrghhh this is so BORING!"
> "Why do we have to learn history?"
> "It already happened!"

Those popular girls were dumb as bricks
>>
File: 1432168469549.png (33 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1432168469549.png
33 KB, 800x800
>>1052844
Dumb blonde bitch in my ancient history class in high school asked me what a pharaoh was in the middle of a test on ancient Egypt
I told her a pharaoh as a really tall pyramid and she bombed the test
>>
>>1052844
>Holy
>Roman
>Empire
>>
File: 1462049477894.png (134 KB, 1484x908) Image search: [Google]
1462049477894.png
134 KB, 1484x908
American history/geography class was always a joy.
>"If Antarctica is frozen, how do we know it's there?"
>people thinking that America has existed since ancient times
>people not being able to identify our state on a map
>people not knowing there was a First World War, as if the second one is just called as such for the fuck of it
>a guy thought England was an American state
>people that were absolutely geographically retarded somehow knowing about obscure (by American high schooler standards) extinct states like Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, and Austria-Hungary and thinking they still exist
>a guy thought there was a third side in the American Civil War comprised of the Western US, I have no idea how elevated of a height you must have been dropped as a baby to grow up and think this
>all manner of retarded shit about European geography, not only not knowing about minor countries but not being able to point to France, Russia, the UK, Germany, etc
>people thinking that events that happened hundreds of years ago occurred within our grandparents lifetimes, like the Civil War and people wearing tricorned hats
>people not being able to tell you who the current Vice President is
Basically anything stupid that you can imagine that somebody might say, believe, or do, is happening as you imagine it as a High School history class in the US. It honestly made me start believing that the government might be putting something in the water to make us all mindless cannon fodder or something.
>>
>>1052844
>Anything I disagree with is only mental gymnastics
Mostly a fedora issue
>>
99% of all evil in human history came from europe!
>>
>>1067055
as a european I have to admit however that we act just as retarded when asked to fill out a map concerning the actual sub-states of america.
>>
>>1067055
>Implying this has anything to do with America
There are people who neglect to learn basic geography in every country ever.
>>
>>1067383
I wouldn't really expect any foreigner to be able to do that. It's not important if you're not American. Besides the US Civil War it's not really relevant to any historical topic.
>>
>>1065260
Youre correct.
>>
>>1067406
You'd have to be kidding yourself to think that it's not a bigger problem in America than most places. Chalk it up to isolation from other countries or whatever, but it's really bad.

I had this idea of forcing every school system in the country to make the wallpaper of their computers a world map, so kids are forced to look at it and absorb it over the years while stuff is loading. I think it would genuinely have a significant effect.
>>
>>1064580
It's the biggest city in Turkey by far, and was the capital for centuries. Stop being a cunt you socially retarded mong.
>>
>>1067379
How about the Middle East where civilisation started? And where Christianity, Judism and Islam started? Where Most of the wars have been fought. Calling any place a birth for evil is completely retarded anyway.
>>
>>1067450
It's not being a cunt to expect a geography teacher to know geography, you pleb apologist.
>>
>>1067439
No, im not. I had no problem in my education with learning geography. I cant say that I can speak for other schools, but >>1067383
even just responded that they have the same problems in Europe. There are stupid people in every country, and im sure there are people in GB who dont know the name of their prime minister.
>>
>>1052844

History teacher in middle school telling us that philosophy didnt really exist during the middle ages

German history prof in university saying casually that theres an analogy between luther and hitler which explains german modernity

Chick telling me Wagner was a nazi, like Nietzsche, like, literal nazis who were part of the NS party.
>>
>>1070018

The way the history of Geography is taught these days you'd think Friedrich Ratzel was a Nazi, when he died long before the Nazi party even existed...
>>
File: mad as fuck.jpg (122 KB, 546x706) Image search: [Google]
mad as fuck.jpg
122 KB, 546x706
>>1052844

Whenever someone brings up that piece of shit movie Braveheart

>Be Scottish
>people bring up the movie to me
>DUDE FREEDOM LMAO
>Such an epic movie bro XDDD
>WTF I hate england now!

Shitty historically inaccurate cancerous movie that needs to erased from the archives of film.
>>
File: Untitled.png (7 KB, 1070x85) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
7 KB, 1070x85
This one is fresh
>>
Guy in my HS had never heard of a monastery or monks. He thought monks were "money men lending out money to people who hated banks".
>>
>>1070292

God's Credit Union
>>
>>1058644
Uzbekistan
>>
>>1067412

It's relevant to every major political decision and every major election ever held in the United States, which affects the world at large. You do realize presidential elections are decided largely by states and their demographics, right? Or that U.S. history has long been a saga of a heated debate over whether or not state governments or federal should have greater say so in political decisions?
>>
>>1070074
How?

Why?

What happens inside the brain of American posters?
>>
>>1058763
I know it's you're making a joke but you could actually argue that the two wars were just part of a single continuum of pan-European warfare
>>
>>1059676
lmao wat
>>
>>1070435

You realize there's no indication of that poster's nationality, right. They could just as easily be a village idiot from your hometown.
>>
>>1063506
That's what you get for being an autist tbqh
>>
>>1065949
To be fair, Rhode Island isn't actually an island, so there's room to be confused
>>
Knew a girl who thought London was north, as in up in Scotland. That was 14 years old.

One guy who thought Stalin personally murdered all his victims in the purges, in some kind of 1v1 deathmatch all through the 30s. 18 years old. I didn't dare bring up the Holocaust.
>>
>>1070444
Highly debatable

Just because one war more or less caused the other doesn't mean they were the same one
>>
>>1070526
Perhaps not literally the same conflict, but the underlying causes and conditions that brought them about are very similar in many respects, and you could say they were just a way to settle the decades-old question of "who will rule Europe"
>>
>>1062898

That's fucking great, I'm going to steal that. I love that kind of thing, "sheveled" meaning neatly dressed and clean-shaven, "gruntled" meaning quite content.
>>
File: Same as 4 years man.webm (3 MB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
Same as 4 years man.webm
3 MB, 600x338
>>1070517
>One guy who thought Stalin personally murdered all his victims in the purges, in some kind of 1v1 deathmatch all through the 30s.

That'd be metal as fuck
>>
>>1067383

Eh, speak for yourself. I couldn't draw a map from scratch, but I'd be reasonably confident of getting 80% on a blank draw-the-name test map.
>>
>>1070526

I think he's referring to that "20-year armistice" line.
>>
File: wrldnanb.gif (46 KB, 694x400) Image search: [Google]
wrldnanb.gif
46 KB, 694x400
>>1070891
>>
>>1070901

What? I mean a political map of the USA with the names of the states removed.
>>
I tell my Indian friends that I don't see the difference between Bengali and those other Indian countries and they get really mad.
>>
>>1070877
I imagine he pictured the holocaust as Hitler personally administering Zyklon B via an oxygen mask. Maybe with Dr. Mengele on hand to support.
>>
File: no country.jpg (243 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
no country.jpg
243 KB, 1920x1080
>>1059813
Sounds about right.
>>
>>1061171
She's was trying to be cute, you should have shagged her.
>>
>>1071000
This desu OP that hehehe should've expanded your dong indicating that you needed to try to fuck her
>>
>>1052844
>be me in 8th class
>sit next to the dumbest stacy in class
>stacy asks "Is asia the land with the chinese people?"
>mfw
>>
>>1058480
Plenty of otherwise capable people just don't give a shit. Most people don't care about being well rounded or widely educated. They want just enough education to do a job and get paid.
>>
>>1061056
I used to make the same joke about the Normans.
>>
>>1071000
>shagged
Hi Anglo
>>
>>1055478
As if that was so terrible. She probably just didn't know the exact years.
I had a girl in my class that was about 16-17 and she thought the second world War was in the 17.th century
>>
>>1061171
>when was the civil war
You're the stupid one here, how is she supposed to know which one you mean, the colombian civil war?
>>
>>1061278
Those people are terrible but I hate the ones who will just list off concepts really rigorously but you just know that they aren't smart or educated but just learned all the shit because it's their "identity"
>>
>>1063923
I am not even sure how long it lasted...3500 years?
Are we talking about all of Egyptian prehistoric history or only some parts
>>
WE WUZ KANGS
>>
>>1065933
The religion part is partially right because of how humans spread and certain mythological beliefs manifested even thousands of years later and developed into comparably equal religions, but of course this only works on some levels an even then she was probably just retarded.
I love the concept though, same with how the proto European languages and indo European evolved, it's also fascinating to think that a lot of different cultures even when completely separated had the same concepts like for example the sun, which is rather obvious but also certain motifs like hunting, and therefore Hunter gods and all that shit. I really love ancient history
>>
>>1071698

>tfw when of your classmates declares herself a Communist after taking several History classes on the failures of Communist Russia, Communist China, Communist Central Asia, and the Eastern Bloc
>tfw she changes her major to Geography because, her words, "Geography is more Communist-friendly" and "History is just right wing anti-leftist propaganda"
>>
>>1071758
kek, and people (/pol/) call his leftist central for disputing discredited scholars and disputed sources
>>
>>1071758
Lol, she couldn't have lived in America then, history strikes me like every lib keks dream because it attracts a lot of people who are just lazy stupid and spoiled and don't bear and interest in history at all aside from reevaluating how women were looked down upon and treated in ALL OF HUMAN HISTORY.
I avoid people like this like the plague because they're just not fun and in general crazy, and not the good kind, the probably are militant vegans too
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.