[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you stop the fear of looking at/writing a long code?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: noenergy.jpg (14 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
noenergy.jpg
14 KB, 480x480
How do you stop the fear of looking at/writing a long code?

On a first year of college I had introductory programming course but a year passed when I began programming again. I'm in a third year, so it's been about a year since I really started getting more into it. The problem is that I get extreme fear and sense of pressure when I want to build something more complicated. I literally never passed 200 lines of code on my side projects. I feel like I can't do it. Looking at open sourced code often doesn't make much sense, I don't even know where to start. Then I realize that I probably don't know the language well enough. Well, maybe I don't understand the patterns because I'm familiar with the syntax. Everything seems like over complicating.

Today it hit me again. I literally just wanted to mash together 2 APIs, to be more precise, make a 3D earth and get JSON from OpenWeather API to show the data on multiple locations across the globe. I checked some similar open source project and it had 1500+ loc. "I can't do it."

What's exactly my problem here? Did you have something similar in your past?
>>
I've never had this problem. Just think up what you want to accomplish, then start writing and adding things until you have what you wanted.

It's pretty much as writing prose. Don't fear the white page, start filling it one word at a time, eyes on your goal and adapt as you go.

Are you saying you are incapable of doing something if your first thought is "I can't do it"? Then I recommend you join the HAES movement. It's made just for you.
>>
I can't say I relate to you, but what you generally want to do with bigger projects is to break them down into smaller parts. That is both easier to plan and better programming style because you get a more modular approach.

For your example, I'd make three "projects": one for each API and one to interconnect them. When you write the API libraries, make them completely independent from the rest of your code. They will be more reusable and maybe useful in later projects.

As for not knowing where to start in huge open source projects, that is just how it is. When a code base gets big enough, there is no one left who understands everything. The trick is to learn only the part necessary to know for whatever you want to implement. The more experienced you are, the less you will have to know and the more you will be able to assume of the rest. But generally, integrating yourself in a huge, existing project is not an easy task to do, but it becomes simpler if the project is well written and modular.
>>
I can relate to this.
I have improved my own large projects just by implementing better planning. Everything is easier to absorb when broken down.
This is quite the same when working on public source.
Pull it, examine in and break it down. I have a whiteboard in my study for this purpose.
>>
>>54508283
I gave up. I sit at home all day and do nothing with my life. Except fap to g/fur
>>
>>54508283
I work with APIs every day, however I don't have experience doing 3D imagery. I maintain codebases between 30 and 3,000 LoC myself, and it isn't that insane once you familiarize yourself. If you're writing it yourself, you're already familiar.

What language do you use?

Could you just use (read: abuse) Google Earth somehow and superimpose graphics there?
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.