[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Server Hosting thread Im looking to pay for server hosting and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1446738256508.gif (421 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
1446738256508.gif
421 KB, 700x525
Server Hosting thread

Im looking to pay for server hosting and have done some research. I want to host a mumble server(about 10 users) and a personal project or two.

What companies do you guys use, and how beefy of a server do I need to host crap?

I want to run arch linux on it too.
>>
>>51312546
>I want to host a mumble server(about 10 users) and a personal project or two
>and a personal project or two
What are the projects you fucking idiot? A "project" could be anything from a webpage to a neural net, and the amount of resources you'll be recommended hinges precisely on what those projects are.
>>
>>51312583
I want a simple sort of push notes to a server and store them to look at later. So you think of a movie you want to see, you can push it to a specific list so you dont forget about it. crap like that. Id host a simple website too.

Would a VPS suit me better?
is there any major downsides to it?
>>
>>51312633
>Would a VPS suit me better?
Yes
>is there any major downsides to it?
If you get an OVZ from a crappy host, other VPSs on the same hardware as you might occasionally go rogue and steal all available resources.
If your VPS is KVM (it should be) then there are no downsides.
In fact, there are several upsides to using a VPS over a physical server, but they're mostly dependant on what features of the VPS manager the host exposes for your use.

But yeah a pretty minimal VPS should be fine for you. If you're spending more than like $8/month on it, you're either being ripped off or buying higher specs than you need.
>>
>>51312714
whats considered decent specs? is 1 core 1g ram shit? I found 2vc and 2g ram for $10

Can you recommend a company? give me a code and ill use it. also how secure is data on these VPS's?
>>
>>51312754
digital ocean is the only one I've used but they're good and hella cheap

they're aimed at app/web development, but a vps is a vps
>>
>>51312754
For what you're doing? You shouldn't need more than 512MB of ram.
>Can you recommend a company?
I personally use 123systems for a lot of stuff. They have a 512MB KVM for $5/month

>give me a code and ill use it
Uh, I guess here. https://123systems.net/billing/aff.php?aff=1524

>also how secure is data on these VPS's?
From what? The hosting company or external attackers? Normal security common sense still applies.
>>
>>51312802
doesnt the OS eat up ram or are server OS really simple? I was planning on putting arch linux on the thing so i can learn while doing it.
>>
>>51312822
>doesnt the OS eat up ram
I run Debian on my VPSs and the base install eats about 20MB of RAM after boot. That number can go lower or higher depending on how you configure your system, but it's pretty close to negligible.
>>
go to
>http://lowendbox.com/
lurk around
choose few providers that suits you
go to
>http://www.lowendtalk.com/
find posts about choosen provider too see if they are reilable. maybe make new thread about it.
$3 / month
>>
Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it!
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.