[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is anyone here using rhel now that is free of charge for development
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: rh.jpg (24 KB, 1100x620) Image search: [Google]
rh.jpg
24 KB, 1100x620
is anyone here using rhel now that is free of charge for development use?

installed some days ago, so far the worse distribution I've used:
got a kernel panic after installing in virtualbox,
can't install anything ootb without typing at least three subscription-manager commands with parameters like 20+ chars alphanumeric ID,
yum is so fucking slow and can't find anything because the standard repositories are missing a lot of packages,
old version of everything,
no ifconfig and systemdicked network interface names like adf9s0,
sshd with insecure configuration and a smtp server enabled by default in a minimal installation

so, how can be one of the few paid gnu/linux distribution so shitty?
is there anything good about it except "support"?
>>
>>53885489
I've never used it, but I can tell you that ifconfig is almost definitely there, you have to type in the full path, so it's
/sbin/ifconfig
>>
>>53885489
>hur dur, I'm too dumb to use a package manager
>how to configure sshd?

fucking retard.
>>
>>53885516
I had to install the net-tools package, in the minimal default install only ip was available, I think they are deprecating it, at least in rhel 7.2

>>53885611
>hur dur, I'm too dumb to use a package manager
subscription-manager is not exactly a package manager, yum itself is not bad, only slow
>how to configure sshd?
do you even logic? if I can't configure sshd how could I detect insecure settings?
>>
>>53885785
Yum has been deprecated. Use dnf
>>
>>53887384
dnf

deprecated by

ass
>>
>>53885489
Use it at work...absolutely terrible.
>>
>>53887384
isn't dnf still fedora only?
>>
>>53885489
Why would anyone use RHEL? Fedora is much better?

Isn't RHEL for Servers/Commercial use?
>>
File: common_ports.png (173 KB, 537x670) Image search: [Google]
common_ports.png
173 KB, 537x670
>>53887636
sure, but even on servers why should I prefer rhel over debian if I don't need red hat support?
>>
>>53885489
>got a kernel panic after installing in virtualbox

>virtualbox

>>53885489
>can't install anything ootb without typing at least three subscription-manager

>babby's first paid distro

>>53885489
>yum

deprecated in favour of dnf in rhel7

>>53885489
>can't find anything because the standard repositories are missing a lot of packages

>babby's first real server distribution

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL

you can also probably use centos repos for extra software, maybe even rpmfusion

see also: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Forbidden_items

>>53885489
>old version of everything,

>babby's first server distribution

>>53885489
>no ifconfig and systemdicked network interface names like adf9s0

use rhel6 until support ends in 2020~ ish then

>>53885489
>sshd with insecure configuration

you'll have to elaborate but it's not going to be completely insecure ootb if you have even the minimum of basic security practices

also,
>>53885489
>and a smtp server enabled by default in a minimal installation

>what is documentation

>>53885489
>so, how can be one of the few paid gnu/linux distribution so shitty?
>is there anything good about it except "support"?

rhel is primarily for enterprises (the clue is in the name) to be ran on servers and to a lesser extent workstations, it doesn't do well as a desktop os and doesn't lend itself to handholding you as it's assumed a competent system admin will be setting the box up and will know what is what

the support is primarily why people use it and as a result rhel is a $1.5 billion dollar company
>>
>>53887770
>babby's first real server distribution
you got me, I just want to learn, need to use it for a job, I usually use ubuntu

>https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL
I've read about that, but I don't want to add external repositories for basic things like htop and python3, why not including these in the official repository?

>rhel is primarily for enterprises (the clue is in the name) to be ran on servers
as I said I'm not interested in installing the last version of mpv, xorg isn't even installed

>the support is primarily why people use it
so nothing else?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.