[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it a good idea to hack/root he kindle and installing cust
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: kindl.jpg (32 KB, 650x300) Image search: [Google]
kindl.jpg
32 KB, 650x300
Is it a good idea to hack/root he kindle and installing custom launcher/applications?
Have any of you done it? Was it worth it?
Please share your experience.I personally want to do it so I can read PDF's properly and listen to FLAC files while I read.
Source: http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Hacks_Information
>>
>>53868892
I have a jailbroken Kindle Paperwhite previous generation. I never much used it except for the tool that allowed me to synchronize my Calibre Colletions with the Collection system on the Kindle -- and even that stopped working towards the end, because the developer had to decrypt/deobfuscate the Java classes constantly for each new update.

So all in all, it's kind of badly documented, it doesn't get you all that much except maybe a different wallpaper, and in the end it's all features you could really do without / that are not as revolutionary as you think.

I'm using a Voyage now which is unrooted/unjailbroken and I'm doing just fine.
>>
>>53869405
How do you read pdf's then? Do you just switch to landscape mode?
Also,maybe music isn't such a good idea after all.
>>
>>53869566
Music isn't possible at all for the versions after the Kindle Keyboard (Paperwhite, Paperwhite 2, Voyage) because there's no audio jack -- I don't know why you think it would even be possible. The Kindle is a e-book reading device, don't try to use it for something it clearly wasn't designed for; use your phone with some kind of music player and that's it.

PDFs are 2nd class citizens on the E-Paper Kindles, and generally I don't read any PDFs at all -- I find books that I want to read as EPUB/MOBI files and sideload them onto the device with a tool such as Calibre. If I do need to read PDFs, I could in theory -- but it's not a great experience; so I wouldn't recommend it.

If you want an E-Paper Kindle solely to read PDFs you might be better served by getting some kind of cheapo tablet with a regular screen.
>>
>Reading books

Holy SHIT LMAO
>>
>>53869681
Do you really get anything out of posting inane shit on this board, isn't this just a waste of your time? Really?
>>
>>53869628
I get what you mean,I just had this fantasy of having one e-ink device for all my needs: Music and reading, since I don't watch television or movies,it would be quite perfect.
>>
>>53869689
When you're an Aryan GODNEET like me you have all the time in the world to throw at a million different things. Shitposting is just one of many things I do with my time.

Seriously though I have a kindle paperwhite from 2015, I've never really had a problem with pdfs and only fags listen to music.
>>
>>53869736
Ah I see. Sorry man, but you'd better give up on that -- at least with the newer Kindles (which are, in my opinion, by far the best e-book readers around). I highly recommend getting a (new) Paperwhite or alternatively a Voyage if you want to splurge and satisfying your music needs in a different way.

Think about it, using the device to listen to music while reading would drain the battery much quicker anyways -- and you would run through many recharge cycles much quicker. It would become annoying really quickly.
>>
>>53869764
Okay then.Thanks. Paperwhite it is
>>
>>53869879
Glad I could be of help.

Definitely check out Calibre and torrent sites for EPUBs/MOBIs -- my Kindle lives through site-loading content and converting it with Calibre. Of course you are also free to use Amazon to buy shit.
>>
>>53868892

I use Duokan on my Kindle 4 and it's far better than the stock OS. It has an option to display pdfs like it would EPUB's/MOBI's.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.