[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I decided to learn python after failing at c++ a year ago
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: “Gluten-Free-Ebola”.jpg (155 KB, 1470x768) Image search: [Google]
“Gluten-Free-Ebola”.jpg
155 KB, 1470x768
So I decided to learn python after failing at c++ a year ago and I think I may be studying It improperly. Would memorizing syntax and vocabulary be better than following shit youtube tutorials? I have little interest In purchasing books on the subject so what would a good alternative be?
>>
>>53693527
codecademy is slow but I think it works
>>
>memorizing syntax and vocabulary

nigger what, that's not how you learn programming

study data structures and algorithms
>>
The goal of learning programming is not to learn a particular language's syntax, although you need to know enough to write a program that can model your problem. Python is nice in the sense that its basic syntax is simple and can get you a very long way (although there's also a lot of obscure syntax that may take you a while to figure out — don't worry about that now).

Youtube tutorials are generally bad, but I don't know which specific ones you're watching. You don't have to purchase books when some of the best books on introductory programming with Python are available for free.

http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/thinkpython.pdf
>>
Op what was so hard about c++ that made you give up
>>
>>53693582
I hit a wall, I was watching tutorials on youtube ( Worst decision you could make ) while using stack overflow to make a simple game. I wanted to create a blackjack game but realized I was out of my depth and cheated by googling so I just gave up. I still remember some beginner level programs and how to import libraries ( although I don't know what each does ) and make "hello world" display on the screen. Simple shit, once I learned about lists and if statements my ability to find resources at my level diminished greatly ( I suppose It's when most people give up ).
>>
File: 1458518760170.jpg (205 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
1458518760170.jpg
205 KB, 1000x667
>>53693527
>GET BOOK

>DO EXAMPLES

Everything else will come naturally. After getting a good grounding in things you can look online for projects and how to do more advanced things. I'd also look into algorithms and data structures around then.
>>
>>53694022
This, I hate studying with books, but for programming they're always great.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.