[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are people calling AMD cards housefires nowadays? I thought
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
Why are people calling AMD cards housefires nowadays?

I thought that meme came from Fermi cards literally catching on fire.
>>
>>53567217
I want to impregnate Shimakaze.
>>
The simple answer is that nvidia has the higher marketshare.

That seems unrelated but it's actually oh-so related.
Higher marketshare means more kids, more kids means more fanboys, more fanboys means more butthurt, and more butthurt means that if you call nvidia cards housefires for literally having a grill on them and reaching 105C, fanboys get butthurt and apply the same thing to AMD cards when they reach the staggering temperature of 90C.
Which is still hot, but they equate wattages with housefires when it's the temperature of the card that matters.
It's the same kind of reason that amd gets a bad rap for drivers yet AMD's drivers don't regularly fuck up systems and hardware.
Nvidia drivers regularly brick hardware.
>>
>>53567237
Wattage is directly related to heat. If you GPU uses 2x more energy it produces 2x more heat. Now if you can disipate the heat all is good. But clearly not an easy task for 300w+ TDP.
My 980 idles at 28c and 61c on full load w/ fans at 60%. My friends 390 reaches 85c on load w/ 85% fan speed.
Physics dont lie
>>
>If you GPU uses 2x more energy it produces 2x more heat.
That's not how it works.
>>
>>53567803
Its absolutely true. Ever heard of the law of conservation of energy?
>>
File: h6fCm3H.jpg (271 KB, 550x780) Image search: [Google]
h6fCm3H.jpg
271 KB, 550x780
>>53567217
Old memes die hard anon.
At least the "no drivers' meme have died off lately.
>>
>>53567803
>>53567848
He is right, if that card has even lower performance, it's just pretty much transforming energy to heat and doing a few calculations.
>>
>>53567217
Probably because they suck back the juice like no tomorrow. Amiright guys?
>>
>>53567224
i dont play kancolle but shimakaze is cute
>>
File: 1405543173526.gif (2 MB, 690x200) Image search: [Google]
1405543173526.gif
2 MB, 690x200
I guess Nvidia is considered more power-efficient nowadays, thus having measurably lower heat in comparison.
>>
AMD HAS NO DRIVERS
>>
>>53567737
>My 980 idles at 28c and 61c on full load w/ fans at 60%. My friends 390 reaches 85c on load w/ 85% fan speed.

Meaning your friend has shit cooling/airflow while you don't?

Regular aftermarket/AIB coolers get Hawaii to 60c without problems, I sure hope you ain't comparing stock jetengines that aren't even sold anymore to 3 slot 3x80mm fan configurations.
>>
>>53568225
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+10+-+64
>>
>>53567217
My 290x is stupid on power. When playing a game that's fine, when playing a fucking youtube video its not. Seriously for desktop use its embarrassingly bad how inefficient it is
>>
>>53567737
> If you GPU uses 2x more energy it produces 2x more heat.
That's not how it works, unfortunately.
>>
>>53572069
Being this stupid in 2k16
>>
R9 290X reference card.
>>
>buying shitty reference coolers
enjoy those 80c (build to run this at all times) temp :^)
gtx 980 non-reference is running 64C in a shitty airflow case
>>
>>53572510
Nvidia shill detected.

Anon, I love Nvidia just as much as the next gay ass faggot gaymer, but you know as well as I do that AMD cards were no the housefire meme.

2/10
>>
>>53574399
Wtf has that got to do with the statement that twice the power equals twice the heat. Physics aren't brand exclusive
>>
>>53575258
>he doesn't use intel-gravity-simulator
>>
File: nvidia way.jpg (30 KB, 640x353) Image search: [Google]
nvidia way.jpg
30 KB, 640x353
>>53567217
nvidia viral marketing that gets parroted by retarded "muh gaymur" types who read nvidia's marketing material and think they're informed consumers
>>
>>53572069
Gpus don't produce "work" e.g. kinetic energy, or light. All incoming energy is wasted as heat minus a couple of Watts used for spinning the fans and sending data down the monitor connections and the PCIe bus.

The law of conservation of energy applies.
>>
>>53576612
Law of conservation of energy does apply indeed, but you forget factors
For example, the movement of electrons is kinetic energy.

Also, the current passing through your GPU produces very little heat, what DOES produce heat, is the changing of state, it's why higher frequencies increases temps, because you change the state of a transistor more often per second.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.