[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how good does one need to be at java to land a low-level java
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1448743091321.jpg (97 KB, 915x960) Image search: [Google]
1448743091321.jpg
97 KB, 915x960
how good does one need to be at java to land a low-level java developer job?
>>
>>53400723
Not very. If you can fizzbuzz, you're in.

But if you're one of those retards that are flooding /g/ lately who just saw hackers in a hollywood movie and randomly gets the idea of wanting to be a developer while having 0 pre-existing knowledge, 0 personal interest and 0 passion for programming outside the job and you end up as my colleague, I will fucking end you because you'll be the prime example of shit colleagues who do nothng but wasting everyone's time and breaking everything.

If you're past your college years and you come to /g/ with the question "I know nothing about programming, where do I learn it", you should all kill yourselves because you're the #1 problem in the field.
>>
>>53400900
False. To get a job doing software development woth Java, you need to be pretty good.

Get some experience with JEE and Android too.
>>
>>53400944
if you can make a program that reads shit from a file, does some operations, saves the data back to a file, and has error handling (or if at least you can explain what should be handled), then you probably can land an entry-level position
>>
>>53400944
Let me rephrase: at the client I'm currently deployed at by my consultancy company, with the client being a contractor for government projects in shitty little belgium, writing fizzbuzz is all it took to pass the interview. The task was literally "you have 30 minutes to write a dir lister like ls/tree/whatever" and another to just find whatever errors you could in a random piece of code.

The hardest part was using their absolutely shitty eclipse-based in-house IDE that takes half an hour to do one thing, does it over and over again for no reason, has absolutely 0 helpful functions like autocompletion or other hinting, was configured to java 6, was on a shitty laptop with a broken keyboard, etc.

I could go on forever about the infinite number of things that are absolutely wrong over there, like how their developers need to use git but absolutely none of them know how to actually use it and I've seen people deleting a day's work with it and such, how every team (middleware, cloud, developers, architects) has different ideas about how things should work and they all implement their own thing without communicating and thereby causing in-house systems to be incompatible, etc, but I'd need 5 hours to list it all.

To be honest I hope other companies do their shit better because this company does everything wrong. No surprise, since they are dedicated to government stuff.
>>
>>53401108
Fun fact: it took 2 weeks for the project they gave me to actually work in their own IDE, and when I got to that point it still didn't really work and everything about it was so bad and slow it was impossible to get anything done.

Then I opened the project in my personal intellij (they're too greedy to get licenses for any software of any kind for themselves despite charging more than my annual salary for 2 weeks of work by 1 developer) everything just worked out of the box within 2 seconds.

Belgian government, everyone.
>>
>>53401108
Holy fuck I know these git feels, it is not difficult AT ALL yet somehow someone pushes broken code directly to master every other day.
>>
>>53401108
>in-house
Pretty much all in-house products are shit.

If they weren't shit, they would be sold or released publicly.
>>
>>53401151
Sounds like everyone at my office.

My analyst once decided to start writing unit tests. The tests were written wrongly and he didn't think that maybe he should've pulled first. He ended up committing tests and code based on a month old codebase and decided to overwrite the remote copy.

My architect started cursing under his breath once after somehow deleting an entire day of his work in sourcetree while trying to commit. You should've seen how bad things were before I, who got their like the week before, told them to stop using the cmdline client and use a visual client instead so they can actually fucking review the changes and branches.

>>53401217
Everyone in the office knows this. Management being management, they go ahead with it anyway.
>>
>>53401234
*got there
>>
>>53401151
It happens a lot with windows.
Files are not getting updated in applications and then people overwrite it... And you can't easily fix it because they mix several revisions in one commit and it fucks over everything.
>>
>>53401263
*in shitty applications, like eclipse

When I finally got fucking admin rights on my work pc and I installed intellij, most of my problems vanished into thin air.

Getting me those admin rights took them 2 fucking months to do because for some reason requesting admin rights as a necessity invoked a bureaucratic shitstorm that required the top people of the fucking 12-story building company to have a meeting.

I wanna tell you guys more epic details of how absolutely shit belgian government programming companies are but I'm getting tired typing so much out. And I say that while being literally the only person working on an entire project: customer contact, design, implementation, testing, platform migration, security, etc, so I type plenty every day. This project costs 8k/week btw. Most of that time has gone into telling various other departments like the cloud deployment servers guys how their shit should work because my project was made the pilot project that will serve as example for all the other projects to follow and will be used to figure out the new procedures that they'll need.

I can go on about their brilliant logic like this forever.
>>
>>53401425
Oh, I forgot: 12 story-building I work in. 5 other sites in the country.

Yes, the very top people of a multi-thousand people development company had to call a meeting to give me admin rights on my work pc so I could actually work. And that took 2 months. It also required things like involving the internal security team, who promptly asked why the fuck they're being contacted for such mundane bullshit.
>>
>>53401454
This happens because there are some in management who, although wanting all the power, don't want the responsibility.
So they try to delay and finally spread the blame.
"Plausable Deniability" is their watch-word.
Defensible decisions are their game.
Once you know this their antics make a kind of sense.
>>
>>53401716
Yeah well, in the meantime because of all the bullshit they've made me deal with and such, the application has to land in acc in 3 weeks, prod in another month.. the budget is already used up... and it doesn't even work well in integration yet, still having bugs and being largely untested.

Real belgian government quality work going on there. Half a million eurobucks down the drain. For a fucking medical email contact lookup engine.

Oh well, I get paid anyway, it's not like I give a fuck. Too bad taxpayer money goes into this shit.
>>
>>53400900
how much code knowledge?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.