[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What happened /g/ ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: beos.png (6 KB, 312x464) Image search: [Google]
beos.png
6 KB, 312x464
What happened /g/ ?
>>
Apple bought NeXT and they couldn't compete.

I blame Microsoft too.
>>
File: screenshot1.png (651 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
screenshot1.png
651 KB, 1024x768
>>55641553
Nothing
>>
>>55641589
Aesthetic
>>
>>55641589
impressive. BUT

>haiku os
>/g/
>1AM

theres no way you have a job
>>
>>55641626
I'm actually off for the week and have been wasting this evening dicking around. I dug out my old laptop and decided to do something with it.

(I actually work in devops/automation)
>>
>>55641626
He's this guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSe9oOOTEJA
>>
>>55641571
/thread

>>55641589
slowest development in the world
it's nice though, and fucking everything feels consistent

would probably boot it as the main OS on my shitbox if it was more complete and more stable (it's actually plenty stable overall for what it is, although little things like wifi are far from done and one build I remember had the browser lock up on me every couple minutes)
>>
>>55641553
They got greedy as fuck and wanted something like $35 Mil from apple -- even when not all of the system was workable at that point.

Jobs was smarter than that.
>>
>>55641867
Yeah the browser's by far the most unreliable thing, which is a shame since I use this box for just about only web-browsing. Might put Windows 98 on it for ultimate AESTHETI C.

Also the wifi connection seems pretty flaky but I think that's more a sympto of my house than anything.

I know what you mean about consistency. It feels less like a collection of packages and more like a single entity, which I guess is good.
>>
Ass
Ass
Ass
>>
>>55641553
Compatibility is more important than anything for the majority of single-user systems.
>>
wasn't meant to be
>>
>>55641589
what specs are you running that on?
does bebits stuff still work well on haiku?
have you tried installing beos on modern hardware like i5?

>>55641553
what happened? for one thing, the OS as good as it was, was not commercially viable, there were no commercial programs, other than a office suite that not many people would have bought anyway. but it had some jaw dropping abilities for its time, I remember playing several MP3 files at the same time and being blown away by the full duplex capabilities because Windows wasn't capable of that on the 9x versions, If your computer was slow, beos would fuckign fly in it, it was just a very fast very efficient OS.
>>
>>55641892
can't outjew the jew

I wonder what could have been if Apple would have bought it, sure it was a great OS but it wasn't UNIX, and the fact that OS X became UNIX based is what gave them several advantages in other markets.
>>
>BeOS
>The OS that never WasOS
>>
>>55641553
I don't know, but that shit was ridiculously fast on 750Mhz PIII Dimension back in 2000 (pic related). It made even the excellent Windows 2000 look slothlike.

In fact, I'd say that mainstream operating systems are only finally catching up to the level of speed BeOS 5 PE had over 15 years ago on spinning rust, PC133 RAM, and sub-1Ghz CPUs, but only because storage has become so fast and RAM so plentiful that OSes can be unapologetic fatasses without notable speed impact.
>>
>>55641553
Jean-Luc Gassee got too cocky in the negotiations with Apple.
>>
>>55641589
I have that in VirtualBox. I play with it for a minute and then get bored.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.